Old 02-01-2014, 05:30 PM
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Sounds great! keep us posted!
Old 02-02-2014, 12:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by Switt23

The exhaust manifold itself is integrated into the head. The downpipe starts at the manifold flange, to the cat and then the main run of the downpipe. I believe they designed it the way they did so if they cat goes bad you can unbolt the cat and replace vs having to cut and reweld.

However you spin it, R20a's and K24z7's don't have an exhaust manifold or header that can be replaced. Only the downpipe can be swapped either leaving the cat alone or a pipe designed to replace the cat as well.
See I have to disagree with that last statement.
I do agree the exhaust manifold is integrated into the head. Makes more sense than what the Mercedes mechanic said without even seeing an ilx or civic.

I disagree that the header can not be replaced. Maybe we just have different ideas what the header is... the RV6 replaces both what I call the header and the downpipe which is infact two separate pieces of piping on the 2.4 (tell me If im wrong anyone whos been under the 2.4... I have not Im trying to judge by the si guys). I call the first pipe a header because it attached to the head. The second piece I call the downpipe because it transitions down to the rest the the midpiping.

I know for the 2.0 we have a header to downpipe but terminology can be different everywhere. I call it what I do because Megan has a header and downpipe designed for the r18 that I plan on buying. I have the downpipe which I illustrated correctly. The header replaces the pipe from the mani to the downpipe and deleted the cat. Megan calls this their R18 header.
Hence why I say our cars DO have a header.. it just has a cat built into it so its not like a traditional 4 2 1 header.

You can see I illustrated how the r20 is set up on top.
The header/cat is one piece and can be replaced by the Megan Racing header which is catless. Megan then has the downpipe that replaces the stock piping running under the block to the midpiping.

With the k24 clearly it faces the opposite way the R series does leaving the exhaust mani facing the rear of the car.
The same style pipe the r series guys have but WITHOUT A CAT, just the pipe, runs down the back end of the engine. From there it ends with a flange probably at a similar 45 degree as the r18 header.
There a cat bolts directly to the piping. This cat can be easily removed like our r20s, you dont have to replace the piping all the way to the head.
I would call this the downpipe simply because its the same location as the rseries downpipe. However, this downpipe has a cat built in... like the r series header.
As I illustrated, the rv6 bellmouth DP replaced both pieces of piping in your choice of a cat or catless downpipe.

So for the K guys the rv6 dp replaced both pieces.
The R series guys need the Megan Header and Megan DP to replace both similar pieces.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:33 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm loving the drawings Jon.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:33 PM
Racer

I won't argue over semantics. I'm going to call it a pipe-thingy and move on. haha.

The only reason the R20 is in 2 pieces was ease of installation. I don't think it would be possible to get it all to fit with them mated together.

Free Bump for the thread haha.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Oh my bad. I thought you were saying there was no header for the r series. Figured Id show everyone the difference between the two set ups incase there was confusion.

Header just makes sense to me.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:43 PM
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Flowmaster DBX

Hopefully going in on Saturday with Downpipe and 2.5" mandrel bent pipes

Old 02-06-2014, 01:01 PM
Racer

Has anyone else confirmed the 2.4l comes stock with 2.38" piping. I know it comes stock with mandrel bent (I've been under there to see). Why I ask - why spend the extra cash on 2.5" mandrel bent system with you are having the exact same bends and only gaining .12". Can't think that makes a huge difference....I'm sure the pipes are smaller for the 2.0L. I called him back just now to verify and he says he's confident it's 2.38". I would think you go bigger than 2.5" if you are spending the cash
Old 02-06-2014, 03:51 PM
Suzuka Master

You can go 2.75..
3in is overkill in my opinion.

Your exhaust should be the same as the 2012 si so see what their stock piping is.

My final set up will have 2.25 downpipe to 2.5 all the way back. Only thing I would consider is upgrading to 2.75 but no way Id do 3.0 unless I was running a turbo.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:10 PM
Racer

DBX muffler installed. Straight pipe replaced the resonator. Too loud. Was a mistake I think. Downpipe going in tomorrow - going to be even louder. Gotta get a resonator back on at least. K&N going in today
Old 02-06-2014, 05:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Video!
Old 02-06-2014, 09:55 PM
Racer

Will do tomorrow. K&N installed and that sounds great! Pumped on that. Haven't pulled out of the garage yet. 4" of snow in the driveway. Thats a lot for good ole portland oregon. City is shut down. Ill post a video tomorrow - seriously a huge difference, was not expecting this...
Old 02-07-2014, 12:41 PM
Racer

K&N Installed

Old 02-07-2014, 12:51 PM
Racer

Cold Start Idle with the new Exhaust - will post others when I can pull out of my driveway. Snowed in right now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpEhT...ature=youtu.be
Old 02-07-2014, 04:31 PM
Racer

Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator would be in my near future.... Has a nice tone to it though.. just a little loud.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:33 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Looks great buddy...
Old 02-07-2014, 07:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Super throaty… pretty loud. Seems like it would have a lot of drone tho. You didn't have any revs or passby / shifting videos? HA more to come, huh?
Old 02-07-2014, 08:26 PM
Racer

7" of snow and still dumping. No passby vids yet!

We haven't had sticking snow in the city since 2009. Marshall law out there!!
Old 02-11-2014, 03:14 PM
Racer

ready for install on 2/17

Old 02-11-2014, 09:44 PM
Racer

Bought the vibrant ultra quiet resonator. I've heard plenty of drone on other imports before but I have to say mine is up there with the best. Down pipe isn't even going in until tomorrow and it's already almost unbearable. Can barely hear the person next to you going up a hill at 4000 rpms
Old 02-12-2014, 03:10 PM
Racer

RV6 Catted downpipe. Installing right now

Old 02-12-2014, 03:41 PM
Racer

Taking it for a drive now. So here's where I'm at -
K&N Typhoon Intake
DBX Flowmaster Muffler
resonator replaced with a straight pipe (but putting 1 back on)
RV6 Highflow Cat downpipe

Will be getting flashpro next

Only thing I am still questioning is the cat-back exhaust piping. Right now I have the stock mandrel bent 2.38" pipes. Muffler, Resonator (that I just bought) and downpipe are all 2.5". Do I spend the money to replace 2.38" piping with 2.5". seems like a small increase but might add some more power - real problem is that I'm having trouble finding just the pipes I need vs. the entire exhaust system which will include the resonator and muffler which I already bought. There isn't one exhaust shop up here that has a mandrel bender. I think i'll wait a month or so and make the decision after the tune is done.

I know of a custom turbo manufacturer that can likely do a custom mandrel bend for the pipes - I think I might call them first.

cheers
Old 02-12-2014, 10:52 PM
Racer

Wish you lived closer... would give me a reason to take the cover off my TIG welder.

Excited to see your progress. What plans do you have after tuning?
Old 02-13-2014, 12:20 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
dyno?

curious what kinda gains u got with dem bolt-on's and tune
Old 02-13-2014, 01:40 PM
Racer

Good question...

Probably rear sway bar
Rear + Front lower Tie Bars.

Regarding a Dyno - I will likely give vittuned.com a try. Dyno sessions are really expensive up here (unless you know someone). I'll try the basemap first and then lean on him - he's are actually located in my area which is a nice coincidence.

In terms of gains - I can definitely tell a difference in top end. Low end you can feel some more torque but top end is where these bolt-ons make the biggest difference.

Here's another video of a cold start with the downpipe and still no resonator (putting on this afternoon). Won't ever be like this again - notice the huge noise increase a few seconds after it starts. - just rattling the hell out of the entire muffler - didn't do that before the downpipe. I'll wait and see how much the resonator helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iB61...ature=youtu.be
The following users liked this post:
aksilx (02-14-2014)
Old 02-13-2014, 04:01 PM
Racer

Vibrant Performance Ultra Quiet Resonator - Installing Today

Old 02-13-2014, 06:51 PM
Racer

Hopefully this helps someone else thinking of installing a full exhuast system on the 2.4l because god knows it didn't help me

So with the catted downpipe, ultra quiet resonator and flowmaster dbx hushpower muffler the exhuast system is still VERY loud. I would say the resonator helped maybe 20-25%. My next move is going to be finding a performance muffler that is much quieter.

Might start poking around on the 9th gen forum for input and ideas

Don't get me wrong, the intake, downpipe, exhuast definitely added power that you can feel and the sound is not a bad sound, just way too loud for a 2014 acura imo
Old 02-13-2014, 10:29 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thanks for all the input and being the guinea pig OSU I'm like you I want more power but not at the expense of noise, especially not on what is supposed to be a semi luxury auto. I don't mind a little throatier exhaust but not an all out noise maker that you hear from a mile away
Old 02-14-2014, 02:17 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
good stuff, looking forward to your results
Old 02-14-2014, 04:49 PM
Racer

Downloaded the SPLnFFT decibel reader app (got ranked as the most accurate available).

Just took the car out for a spin with the reader app - highest reading I got was 100db. Classified as being the same as a home lawn mower, or a Car Horn from 5 Meters away.

If anyone else has a similar App I would love to know what the stock 2.4L reads at the highest levels (WOT or close to it)
Old 02-16-2014, 10:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Maybe try posted a thread on it? The decibel reader app is pretty simply so hopefully someone can help you out.

On my 2.0 with a SRI and downpipe is at 85.7... noise factory status.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:29 PM
Racer

Hushmat Installed - Put a bunch in the trunk and it eliminated at least 30% of the cabin noise. Not bad at all.

Going down to see Vit (he's local) next Friday for a flashpro + dyno tune. Will post results after.

One interesting thing he said - he claims the K&N Typhoon intake is garbage as reduces HP in the last 9th Gen civic he dyno'd. I will have to wait and see if this is true. If so, I will be calling K&N. They claim they made over 10hp on a bone stock 2102 civic si. I get that there are other factors to consider when tuning but when a company posts a dyno with a decent HP increase and other people with a lot of tuning experience get negative results - that's not ok with me. Too much $$ for a loss in power. I'm taking with a grain of salt for now and will wait to see actual #'s before the flashpro to see what gains I've seen with I-H-E set up. If it's not at least 15-20HP then I would probably venture to say Vit is right - the downpipe alone should add almost 15hp and there have been plenty of dynos out there to prove.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:29 PM
Racer

Need some advice here. On the fence about blacking out the rear tail lights. Keep in mind it will be done the real way - not replacing the lights or using film. I have a shop that removes them, sands the top layer off and then paints them with a very dark gloss black that still emits light. Reverse lights do not get the paint. Also note I have very black wheels and 5% tint all around. Thoughts? Ok to say it looks like ghetto shit. I'm sort of 50/50 myself. Really rough photoshop below but will be nearly THAT black, no joke. Buddy just did his 2014 mustang and it turned out pretty nice actually - that's only reason i'm now considering

Old 02-24-2014, 05:37 PM
Racer

also another quick photoshop - Having the same guy cut the bumper for an oval tip exhaust - only prob with this photo is that you will not be able to see the actual exhaust pipe in the middle, just the oval tip (which i think will look much cleaner). Thoughts? Sorry not artistically gifted as others on this forum

Old 02-24-2014, 05:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Both mods are going to be a hate it or love it change.

Personally I never liked blacked out tail lights. One a BMW or Mercedes I cant help but think it looks mean. But Ive never wanted it on any of my cars.
Id probably say Id rather see a light layer of smoke tint vs being blacked out. Something really subtle that only other owners would really notice. Thats all id care to do.

As for the exhaust I say go for it. I have plans to go with a similar single exit exhaust but I wont be cutting into the bumper any time soon. Id rather just get some extended exhaust hangers and let the tip hang underneath. But looking at how far down the bumper hangs it might be too low. Just my thoughts though.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Here... a real shot for ya from another users ilx...

Old 02-28-2014, 12:55 PM
Racer

Going down to see Vit today on the real Dyno. I will post dyno results before and after tune. Hoping to get close to that magical 200HP number, we'll see how it goes.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Been following your build. Looking forward to seeing some nice results. I live in California, and due to not wanting to deal with installing and then uninstalling mods, my build will mostly be similar to yours- I-H-E and then flashpro. As far as I understand, the Flashpro can just be attached or detached pretty easily to the MAF sensor, making it easy to unplug to pass smog. I'm waiting on a free exhaust, a CARB legal intake (to come out), and if the "header"/downpipe is a simple enough bolt on that I can install/remove myself with simple tools, then ill probably do that too. Thanks to your "R and D" I'm definitely going to do some sound deadening first to both help improve the stock sound and obviously cut down the noise. Cant wait to see your results. The more details the better. Will be much appreciated man.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Sidenote - went to see the AXION INDUSTRIES dude. Seemed like a good guy. He has a pretty beast 9th gen civic with the RBC swap and E85 fuel conversion, and I was pretty interested in the RBC swap and E85 fuel conversion. I WAS pretty interested until a few issues. 1.) - SUPER LOUD! 2.) The E85 fuel makes the car harder to start up… Having a push start, thats just begging for all kinds of unforeseen issues (murphy's law man). 3.) Price of mods and installs is a few grand. Then to pass smog, I'd have reverse most of that, and then reinstall… NOPE... not doing that… I'm thinking MAYBE I could still do an RBC swap… I need to do more research tho… Like I said if I can do the work, then its a go, if I have to pay someone to do it, I don't like that… I want to be able to pass smog easily and cheaply… Most likey if no CARB legal intake comes out, i'll just buy a short ram. The cold air models I have seen (AEM, PRL) are require battery relocating or are more involved then you'd think.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hey also was gonna ask… what about a throttle body spacer on your short ram? Cant get any simpler than that for a lil extra HP. Have no idea if it would fit on your short ram, I'm sure you could find out on a 9th gen forum tho.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Sorry if I'm being incessant, but I also forgot to mention that the Axion Industries guy was saying he got his SI up to 38 MPG on the RBC swap, exhaust, downpipe, cold air intake and flashpro! I believe he said he was getting around 20 extra HP PRIOR to tuning the flashpro, I forgot his numbers after (Easily past 200whp). This was PRIOR to E85 conversion. After E85, I believe he said something like 230whp! PLEASE post MPG numbers along with your dyno numbers.

Quick Reply: OSU Build Thread