"Noise" level on 2014 ILX manual?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 04:57 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Noise" level on 2014 ILX manual?

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping to get a 2014 Acura ILX soon but read on reviews that it was "loud". I don't want an obnoxiously loud car. (I'm honestly just trying to upgrade from my '05 Civic). Does anyone have any insight into this? Specifically 2014 ILX manual owners? O
Old 08-16-2017, 05:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 207 Likes on 174 Posts
It is loudish for a "luxury" car. Mostly tire noise. It is quieter than the Civic cousin, though not weighed down by lots of sound deadening. It also has a sporty suspension so everything is tight (transfers more sound).
The following users liked this post:
lovelymselle (08-17-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 08:23 PM

Received 5,885 Likes on 2,900 Posts
Moderator Note: Moved to ILX forum for better chance of informative response.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:41 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well I think if you put on different tires it'll make a big difference. I replaced my stock tires from continental contiprocontact to Michelin super sport tires and it's a world of difference. I have a 2016 model.
The following users liked this post:
lovelymselle (08-17-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 05:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
Mine is a 2016 and probably quieter than a 2014 (pre-MMC). The MMC got ANC. But it's still a fairly loud car. Not hushed like a Lexus or a more expensive Acura.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I'm the first person to reply in here that actually does own an ILX manual...

The exhaust is louder than most luxury cars. People have asked me if my exhaust/engine is modified when I am completely stock. However the noise is far from obnoxious. I'm assuming you were inquiring the car being mechanically loud and not tire noise?
Old 08-23-2017, 11:59 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts
I have a 2013 Dynamic = 2.4 L manual. I would agree that the vehicle is a little louder (stock) than perhaps other luxury vehicles, however it is more noticeable in highway speeds and is nothing unbearable.

This car is fantastic choice if you are looking for a manual vehicle with a little more than a Civic, Golf, or domestic vehicle. There really is not much selection on vehicles with a stick out there on more of the luxury levels. BMW, Audi, Lexus, and even Acura no longer offer manual transmissions. The ILX gear box is one of best I have driven, probably the only other one that I can think of that was better is the Honda S2000.

Good luck with your choice!
Old 08-24-2017, 02:06 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 2013 MT, which is the same car as the 2014. It is a loud car. It is quieter than civics from the same period, but not by a whole lot. It it on par with lots of economy cars that were in the $15k range when new. My dad bought a '15 ford focus which is quieter than my ILX. The Focus doesn't ride as nice, and has lots of other flaws, but it's an even smaller and lighter car that still manages to be quieter than the ILX.

The culprits: 1) Engine noise. The engine is buzzier than in any other car I've driven. You hear it at all RPMs. It actually doesn't get a lot louder at high revs, but it's curiously present at all times; it's right in your lap.
2) Road noise. You hear everything you go over. If you are on the highway and hit an uneven part, it's really loud. Someone on here once described the road noise as if Acura actually had the noise amplified through the sound system. It isn't that bad, but you will be intimately familiar with every pebble, groove and heaven-forbid, pothole on the street. I used to own a Nissan Sentra which drove so harsh that I had to try to avoid every bump on the road; my ILX rides so nicely I don't have to do that, but I still avoid every bump just because the constant chatter from underneath gets unbearable. And that's all on top of the constant low roar of the tires.
3) Wind noise. When the engine and road noises recede enough (perfectly flat, newly-paved road) then you notice the wind noise is a little worse than average
4) Exhaust noise. Another noise that often gets drowned out by the big first two, but especially going up hills at lower speeds you really hear it beneath and behind you. Not quite like having a fart can on your car, but more than you'd expect out of a car that aspires to be luxury.

Despite what it may sound like, I really do like my ILX. It's bullet-proof reliable, rides nicely, has all the features I need, looks great inside and out, and is small, nimble and relatively fuel-efficient. And, of course, has the sweetest MT I've ever driven. I just think Acura was downright negligent for allowing such noise levels in the car for the price level.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:14 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My '15 ILX 2.4 manual isn't obnoxiously loud. I believe most of the road noise is the tires and upgrading to a good set help defeat the sound. The exhaust is on the louder side, I recall even one of the service guys at Acura asking if I modified the exhaust at all...it's completely stock. That being said, it's still a comfy and bearable car and it's not like you'll be blasting your music to deafen the road and wind noise. It's an economy luxury car, so I won't say it's as quiet or comfy as its fancier competitors.

I have no regrets with the ILX. It's a Civic Si in a suit. I love the look of the car, the simplicity, great gas mileage and the way it drives.
Cars nowadays have so many features and complex/unnecessary controls and I feel like the Acura provides just enough. The steering wheel is probably my favorite part of the car. You get bulletproof reliability, a great engine, and transmission. Shifts are butter and effortless. A good cross between my modified Evo shifter and an S2000.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
Yup, I see the ILX as a nicer looking Civic with a few nicer features. The new '16+ MMC adds the nicer drivetrain too. But I wouldn't really call the ILX a "luxury" car. I have an '06 RL and that is a real luxury car. Very quiet and comfy. Not as nimble though.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:54 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by rocket354
I have a 2013 MT, which is the same car as the 2014. It is a loud car. It is quieter than civics from the same period, but not by a whole lot. It it on par with lots of economy cars that were in the $15k range when new. My dad bought a '15 ford focus which is quieter than my ILX. The Focus doesn't ride as nice, and has lots of other flaws, but it's an even smaller and lighter car that still manages to be quieter than the ILX.
Interesting you mention this, because back in 2013 I tested an ILX with MT around the same time I tested a Focus ST, and I noticed the same thing. The ST had less road noise, and of course vastly superior power and handling. I thought it had a nice ride too, which I've confirmed on subsequent tests. The Focus is relatively heavy, which I think partly explains its low road noise.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:13 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rocket354
I really do like my ILX. It's bullet-proof reliable, rides nicely, has all the features I need, looks great inside and out, and is small, nimble and relatively fuel-efficient. And, of course, has the sweetest MT I've ever driven.
Umm.... yeah, that. Definitely that.

It is loud, but not nearly as loud as the Saturn S-Series cars I drove, and also really liked, for many years before, which incidentally also had a reputation for noise.