AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   ILX (https://acurazine.com/forums/ilx-382/)
-   -   New 2019 ILX - Jalopnik Photo (https://acurazine.com/forums/ilx-382/new-2019-ilx-jalopnik-photo-974471/)

holografique 10-29-2018 10:47 PM

New 2019 ILX - Jalopnik Photo

After seeing this pic from Jalopnik's recent review on the 2019 release, I'm absolutely sold on the new body style changes. This thing looks HOT!

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...f4c9dcbf54.png
Photo credit: Jalopnik.com (https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...0dtg4hujld.jpg)

I'm so torn between turning my 2016 ILX A-spec lease in to upgrade to this thing, or wait another 1-2 years until the full redesign comes out. I really wish they would have updated the interior in the 2019 model. That is the only thing left that would otherwise make this a perfect car for me.

Steven Vitek 10-30-2018 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by holografique (Post 16322214)
After seeing this pic from Jalopnik's recent review on the 2019 release, I'm absolutely sold on the new body style changes. This thing looks HOT!

Photo credit: Jalopnik.com (https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...0dtg4hujld.jpg)

I'm so torn between turning my 2016 ILX A-spec lease in to upgrade to this thing, or wait another 1-2 years until the full redesign comes out. I really wish they would have updated the interior in the 2019 model. That is the only thing left that would otherwise make this a perfect car for me.

I am in the same predicament...i love my 16 ILX and these minor tweaks really make the car look great...i want to trade it in but also would love to know how many more years before full redo...is 1,2 or 3 years before a new ILX comes out...

kurtatx 10-30-2018 09:13 AM

It’s a catch-22. If it doesn’t sell, there won’t be a redesign. So you need to buy it to encourage Acura to build another one but then you won’t have to buy another one.

justnspace 10-30-2018 09:17 AM

still riding on the super old platform. :(

how's that old adage go? something about dressing up poo...while the ILX is not poo, the newer civics have a better platform

fiatlux 10-30-2018 09:57 AM

Rumor has it they gave the doors the TLX treatment and added more insulation to give it that satisfying German "thunk" when you close them. If true, I hope they also added more insulation to the rest of the body, as the previous loaners I got all had a surprisingly high amount of road and tire noise coming into the cabin on the highway. Not particularly befitting of a premium product, and really does not help to dispel the notion that it's just a dressed up old Civic.

Steven Vitek 10-31-2018 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by fiatlux (Post 16322412)
Rumor has it they gave the doors the TLX treatment and added more insulation to give it that satisfying German "thunk" when you close them. If true, I hope they also added more insulation to the rest of the body, as the previous loaners I got all had a surprisingly high amount of road and tire noise coming into the cabin on the highway. Not particularly befitting of a premium product, and really does not help to dispel the notion that it's just a dressed up old Civic.

one of the reviews stated how quiet it was, so they may have insulated the car, my car is definitely not quiet!

schen72 11-01-2018 12:47 PM

Trading in a 2016 ILX for the 2019 ILX is financially crazy, IMO. I agree the new ILX looks nicer now, but it's not enough of a different car to warranty trading in a fairly new ILX for it. Consider this: your 2016 ILX is worth at most 70% of its original value. To trade it in now is just throwing money down the toilet. I'm a boring "buy and hold it forever" kind of guy. I kept my previous TL for 18 years. Constantly changing cars is a good way to waste money.

MegaManILX 11-01-2018 06:59 PM

I would wait for the full redesign. When you're behind the wheel, it's going to feel like the same exact car. I too love the look of this new refresh, but I'm waiting for the new generation. It will be designed from the ground up around this new design language, but with a brand new platform underneath with either the 1.5T or the 2.0T. I'm really hoping for a Type-S version with the 2.0T from the Type-R/Accord/RDX.

kurtatx 11-01-2018 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by MegaManILX (Post 16324414)
I would wait for the full redesign. When you're behind the wheel, it's going to feel like the same exact car. I too love the look of this new refresh, but I'm waiting for the new generation. It will be designed from the ground up around this new design language, but with a brand new platform underneath with either the 1.5T or the 2.0T. I'm really hoping for a Type-S version with the 2.0T from the Type-R/Accord/RDX.

Maybe it won't get one :shrug:

MegaManILX 11-01-2018 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by kurtatx (Post 16324467)
Maybe it won't get one :shrug:

That would make me sad, but the ILX is an important part of the Acura brand. Getting new buyers into the brand early and hopefully keeping then in the brand for life. Ideally into a new lease every 3 years.

DaIll1 11-02-2018 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by MegaManILX (Post 16324414)

They won't walk on the R, but, I think 2.4T SHAWD would make me get a newer one.

holografique 11-02-2018 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by schen72 (Post 16324171)
Trading in a 2016 ILX for the 2019 ILX is financially crazy, IMO. I agree the new ILX looks nicer now, but it's not enough of a different car to warranty trading in a fairly new ILX for it. Consider this: your 2016 ILX is worth at most 70% of its original value. To trade it in now is just throwing money down the toilet. I'm a boring "buy and hold it forever" kind of guy. I kept my previous TL for 18 years. Constantly changing cars is a good way to waste money.

Yes, I know. I should have been clear - my lease is up in 7 months. I was referring to turning it in for the 2019 at month 3 for the 2019 since Acura has the loyalty program that waives the remaining last 3 months for any leaae if you get into a new one. I've leased 4 Acura vehicles prior to this.

I have no intention of keeping my 2016 and financing the remaining amoint at lease end, so it's not like I have a choice, I have to get a different car in a few months. So my decision ends up being:

1. do I go for the 2019 when my lease is up early next year? knowing it's not 100% what I want, but damn near close.

2. or do I turn in my 2016, buy some used beater, and wait it out till the full redesign comes out?

That's what I'm thinking through at the moment.

kurtatx 11-02-2018 07:36 AM

Acura doesn't really need three sedan models. They probably only need two or more realistically one. If they replaced ILX with something inspired with a serious power plant and an AWD system we're talking.

Rebadged Civics are fine but if they want to sell more, they have to differentiate ILX from TLX. Make it exciting or actually sporty.

MegaManILX 11-02-2018 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by DaIll1 (Post 16324558)
They won't walk on the R, but, I think 2.4T SHAWD would make me get a newer one.

I doubt they will use the 2.4 again due to the lack of power and the need for fuel efficiency. And I don't think any of the cars in the segment have AWD. Plus the AWD adds a lot of weight. But who knows. I'm just excited to see what they do. I think the 2.0T with 240hp and optional SH-AWD and then a Type-S with 290hp and standard SH-AWD would really move units.

schen72 11-02-2018 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by holografique (Post 16324594)

Yes, I know. I should have been clear - my lease is up in 7 months. I was referring to turning it in for the 2019 at month 3 for the 2019 since Acura has the loyalty program that waives the remaining last 3 months for any leaae if you get into a new one. I've leased 4 Acura vehicles prior to this.

I have no intention of keeping my 2016 and financing the remaining amoint at lease end, so it's not like I have a choice, I have to get a different car in a few months. So my decision ends up being:

1. do I go for the 2019 when my lease is up early next year? knowing it's not 100% what I want, but damn near close.

2. or do I turn in my 2016, buy some used beater, and wait it out till the full redesign comes out?

That's what I'm thinking through at the moment.

Ah, I understand now. If I were you, I'd not wait around the a mythical ILX redesign, if it ever comes. I'd just get an Accord if you want a sedan or an RDX if you want SUV (more $$$ though). The 2019 ILX is not different enough from the 2016. Mild cosmetic treatments make it look better but it's the same car.

MegaManILX 11-02-2018 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by schen72 (Post 16325075)
Ah, I understand now. If I were you, I'd not wait around the a mythical ILX redesign, if it ever comes. I'd just get an Accord if you want a sedan or an RDX if you want SUV (more $$$ though). The 2019 ILX is not different enough from the 2016. Mild cosmetic treatments make it look better but it's the same car.

I'm not a huge fan of the new Accord's design, but the 2.0T is darn quick and the interior is gorgeous.

holografique 11-03-2018 11:55 AM

Nice, you and I have the exact same year/model/color ILX. :thumbsup:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...1a4ff093fc.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...91c7c534b0.jpg

holografique 11-03-2018 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by schen72 (Post 16325075)

Personally I believe the ILX will not get cut, and they will redesign it. We can all bitch and bitch about what could have been done better with the ILX, but the sales numbers speak a different story. Sales numbers continue to increase, the ILX has sold more than any other luxury sports compact in its segment since 2013, and as a product strategy, the ILX makes perfect sense for what Acura wants the ILX to be: the gateway product to attract the millennial market into the brand. As a product manager myself (although in cloud computing), I believe it's a great strategy based on where the market is at, but more importantly, where the market is headed with the new generation of buyers that are coming. Despite all the mistakes they made over the past 5-7 years, IMO Ikeda and his team have brought some real smarts and saviness back to their product strategy, mostly in that they are looking ahead, not just focused on what's going on right here and now.

The problem is they are still catching up from all the issues with the initial launch of the ILX. Just like the RLX, low overall volume sales likely limits the amount of additional investments can be made into the existing platform until they are ready for a complete redesign. The 2019 RLX is suffering the same issues, horribly slow and out-dated navigation / tech system in what is supposed to be their flagship and pinnacle of the brand.

Despite all the gripes, I like my ILX a lot, which has mostly do with the form-factor, as I really like a smaller, nimble sports sedan, vs a big boat. Even though my abysmal experience with my 2014 RLX was more to do with horrible suspension, horrible infotainment system and poor overall workmanship in the built quality, I also realized I don't want a large sedan, and even the Accord (and TLX) are bigger than what I want. I prefer the compact size like you see with the ILX, A3, TT, 2-series, CLA, etc. I agree the 2019 isn't different enough from the 2016 in terms of engine performance, NVH, interior, and tech-features, but the exterior redesign is a huge improvement and IMO, a home-run.

All I really need for the ILX to be perfect (for me) is to just add similar RDX interior/tech and some NVH improvements and I'm done. It will become what my 2006 3G TL was for me, the perfect Acura vehicle. Otherwise, I love how it handles, and I love how it drives. I don't need a speed-demon. The performance of the 2.4L and the 8spd DCT is just fine for me. It's quick, nimble, and loves to get pushed without feeling groggy.

holografique 11-03-2018 12:18 PM

If any of you haven't already, I would also check out some of the new accessories they've launched with the 2019 ILX. New interior LED lighting options definitely add a nice touch.

MegaManILX 11-03-2018 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by holografique (Post 16325423)
If any of you haven't already, I would also check out some of the new accessories they've launched with the 2019 ILX. New interior LED lighting options definitely add a nice touch.

Are you talking about the inside lights that shine down on the cup holders? I noticed that those are now red as well in the Alex on Autos review video.

holografique 11-03-2018 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by MegaManILX (Post 16325463)
Are you talking about the inside lights that shine down on the cup holders? I noticed that those are now red as well in the Alex on Autos review video.
https://youtu.be/AdOg_xntiaY

No, there is a new interior accessory called "Interior Illumination" that has new footwell lighting options.
https://www.acura.com/accessories/mo...r-illumination

From the looks of the description, it appears to be a slight upgrade from the basic footwell lighting that is in the 2016-2018 now. I replaced the footwell bulbs on my 2016 with red LED bulbs, and it looks nice, but they turn off completely once the doors are closed. It would be nice if they stayed on, slightly dimmed to add some interior ambience. My guess is this new accessory does that.

micellison71 11-03-2018 10:55 PM

Much better looking then the 2018 model and with the discount in price it makes it worth a look, however with it being long in the tooth is it really a bargaining over say something in its own price category new, or used.

silverTL6 11-13-2018 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by MegaManILX (Post 16324703)
And I don't think any of the cars in the segment have AWD. Plus the AWD adds a lot of weight. But who knows. I'm just excited to see what they do. I think the 2.0T with 240hp and optional SH-AWD and then a Type-S with 290hp and standard SH-AWD would really move units.

AWD is pretty much expected in this segment, even if it doesn't come standard. The only competitors (aside from the A3/S3/RS3, CLA250/45, A220) that don't are the 230i/M240i/M2 and 320i which are RWD only. There's also the FWD-only Lexus UX, but I suspect those will mainly be cross-shopped with other entry lux CUV's.