Loud bass sound from subs after I start car then fine???

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 08:04 PM
Bella Nova

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Loud bass sound from subs after I start car then fine???

Was wondering if any of you guys have any input on my dilemma. I recently installed a sub and amp in my new ILX. I am no audio technician but I've installed a few setups over the years and know the basics. Well after checking all wires, connections, and ground I'm clueless as to why I have a strange loud level of bass come from my sub after I start up the car. After a few bursts of bass the problem goes away and sounds normal after driving a bit. I've swapped amps thinking that may be the problem but it still persists. I tapped the sub output in the back rear deck and am using signal sensing on the amp. Ground is attached to the driver's seat post. Power wire is securely mounted to the battery with a circuit breaker. Should I try to install a remote turn on instead of relying on signal sensing from the sub wire tap? Or should I try a different ground? I've spent a lot of time already guessing and trouble shooting so it's getting tiresome, I need some help guys really appreciate any words of wisdom. Thanks!
Old 11-10-2013, 08:11 PM
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
I had the exact same issue when i put my W7 in the car .

The car is equipped with Active Noise Cancellation which causes feedback from the microphone to the speaker signal. Now I am guessing you are using a Line Output Converter or LOC to run a low line signal to your subwoofer amplifier. If this is true, I have a fix for the buzzing, but you forfeit hands free calling. I didn't mind this because the microphone in my car was horrible anyways. My family complained all the time they could not hear me...

To eliminate the feedback you will need to unplug or remove the microphone unit from the front of the car. To do so, you will need to remove 2 covers for the lights and then 2 screws from the map lights in the front on the ceiling. Once those are removed the plastic panel can drop and then unplug the microphone from the front portion of the plastic panel and re-install.

That should fix the buzz and crappy signal.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:14 AM
Bella Nova

Wow, I didn't even know we had ANC in the ILX. Then this makes a whole lot of sense. Thank you for informing me. Looks like I may have to ditch my setup then the wife likes the hands free so that must stay. This ANC doesn't seem like it does much. Wish they did it old school way with sound insulation, but what do I know.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:46 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there most be a way to fix this. I have the same issue but if you open the door it stops that means there is a way to stop it
Old 12-21-2013, 11:53 PM
Bella Nova

That would be great if there was a fix for this rather than disconnecting HFL. I still got most of my equip in the car so if somebody knows a way chime in. I spent a good portion of the day installing my amp and sub, would be nice to not have to reinstall later on.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:39 PM
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
The microphone sends feedback to the radio when the car first powers on.

I am wondering if there would be a way to build a relay with a resistance load enough to have the microphone power on a few seconds after the car does so it doesn't cause the feedback.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:27 PM
Bella Nova

So in order to defeat the ANC is to simply unplug the unit. It's very easy & you don't lose your HFL either! You just gotta get to the unit which is behind the glovebox above the interior air filter. It took me a lil under half an hour to do. Just be gentle with all those plastic tabs when taking things apart. I can't really tell if ambient noise is any higher without the system active. IMO I trade aftermarket bass any day for no active noise cancellation. ANC is a crock!