Looks like the 2016 ILX Aspec front is a thing.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 07:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Looks like the 2016 ILX Aspec front is a thing.

And I'd call it a gross thing.

I feel it makes the front end even more bulky in the area I felt they already went too bulky/edgy.

And the black accents. Naaaah. Just not doing it for me.
I can see this thing lowered and on vossens and it already upsets me.
The following 2 users liked this post by usdmJON:
benjaminh (03-21-2015), weather (03-21-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 08:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 412 Likes on 194 Posts
I'm ok with everything except that black accent on the hood.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah I have no idea what that is.
But I don't like the lower pieces either.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
What the hell is that?! Hideous
Old 03-20-2015, 09:10 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Same as 4cruizn, it just looks out of place. I'm okay with it being wide on the bottom though
Old 03-20-2015, 09:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Best lip Ive seen so far is the ILX endurance racer, but not exactly sure thats a good look on your average grocery getter. Now if your ILX automatic is kinds raced out...

This also looks a lot worse because its white and black. MAYBE color matched or black on black would look ... better?
Old 03-20-2015, 09:27 PM
Racer

Yeah, the color difference is definitely different. I can't decide whether I like it or not tbh, but I don't hate it.

I always wondered though, these spoiler things stick out from the body, so wouldn't that make aerodynamics worse? If it were actually better for some reason, wouldn't Acura have already built that into the existing bumper anyway?
Old 03-20-2015, 10:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by panamera125
Yeah, the color difference is definitely different. I can't decide whether I like it or not tbh, but I don't hate it.

I always wondered though, these spoiler things stick out from the body, so wouldn't that make aerodynamics worse? If it were actually better for some reason, wouldn't Acura have already built that into the existing bumper anyway?
I'd say it in no way adds any performance. If it was lower to the ground it would create a high flow air current which could help keep the car down... Not like the ilx needs help staying planted though.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
i really like all of it. very aggressive.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I don't mind the shapes and lines of the bodykit but not feeling the black portions of the kit, if it would have been all white, it would have been better in my opinion.

I am sure someone has the photoshop capabilities to make it all white for us to view and make an opinion

usdmJON....Thanks for posting.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
The look is not for me. The bumpers remind me of insect pincers. And the wheels look like legs with feet on them.
The following users liked this post:
benjaminh (03-21-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 01:31 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is the body kit accessory, not the A-spec standard bumper.

But I do agree that the black accents look out of place.
Attached Thumbnails Looks like the 2016 ILX Aspec front is a thing.-ilx_white_front.jpg   Looks like the 2016 ILX Aspec front is a thing.-ilx_white_side.jpg   Looks like the 2016 ILX Aspec front is a thing.-ilx_white_back.jpg  
Old 03-26-2015, 03:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by volnedan
This is the body kit accessory, not the A-spec standard bumper.

But I do agree that the black accents look out of place.
Well thanks for adding irrelevant pictures to the thread about the Aspec bumper. What you've posted is the stock ILX bumper. Nothing Aspec about it.That is how ever ILX will look from factory. The aero kit is called the "Aspec" kit. The fact that it doesnt come on EVERY Aspec is just another marketing ploy by acura to get the idiots who buy an aspec without the kit to then pay more for what should already be on the car.

Check out Acura's website to back up what Ive said.

So to clear things up for people.
What was once the add on side under spoiler is now stock on all ILXs. (obviously they found a way to fit the splash guard over the skirt which I believe another user told me would not work in the past)
All ILXs will come with side skirts but no front or rear "under spoilers" or the HYBRID rear deck spoiler; which Acura is now calling the Aspec.

I will be laughing so hard at the new ILX owners that come in claiming their ILX is the bees knees because it's an aspec. Too bad it holds no performance benefits over the non aspec. Just some cosmetic changes. It's the next TL California.

Sadly Id buy the Aspec for the black headliner alone. LOL

Last edited by usdmJON; 03-26-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

"A Spec kit" for The ILX is a waste of money. Better off buying aftermarket wheels and tires. $900 for an UGLY pincer lip add on and an oddly placed rear pincer-ish piece? Who's gonna buy this? WTF? Thats cool they get the free side skirt tho... Gotta see if the new splash guards fit on on my ILX.... hmmmmm.....
Old 03-27-2015, 07:55 PM
Racer

Some accessories have more function than others (not saying they're all bad!) but the primary purpose is money-making. And at $900, the "Aero Kit" is successful.
aomechmarine (03-30-2015)
Old 03-28-2015, 03:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
I'm pretty sure at this point that the majority of folks on azine hate every a-spec kit when it first comes out.

it sort of reminds me of the 1m front bumper. I, for one, like it. thanks for the pics.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 463 Likes on 197 Posts

I dislike the ASPEC bumper pieces on the '16+, but do like Acura's attention to 'cool carbon fiber' details, however, it's cheesy and just worsens the already Civic-fied bumper treatment more than I thought was possible.

If the pieces were integrated fully, flush into the bumpers (Front and rear Aspec bumpers being ONE SOLID PIECE) and the rear had dual exhaust it would be days better.

That being said the '15 and older bumpers and bumper pieces look a lot better.
aomechmarine (03-30-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 04:25 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by usdmJON
Well thanks for adding irrelevant pictures to the thread about the Aspec bumper. What you've posted is the stock ILX bumper. Nothing Aspec about it.That is how ever ILX will look from factory. The aero kit is called the "Aspec" kit. The fact that it doesnt come on EVERY Aspec is just another marketing ploy by acura to get the idiots who buy an aspec without the kit to then pay more for what should already be on the car.

What was once the add on side under spoiler is now stock on all ILXs. (obviously they found a way to fit the splash guard over the skirt which I believe another user told me would not work in the past)
All ILXs will come with side skirts but no front or rear "under spoilers" or the HYBRID rear deck spoiler; which Acura is now calling the Aspec.

I will be laughing so hard at the new ILX owners that come in claiming their ILX is the bees knees because it's an aspec. Too bad it holds no performance benefits over the non aspec. Just some cosmetic changes. It's the next TL California.

The OP didn't mention anything about the ASPEC aero kit accessory, which is why I posted pictures of the ASPEC trim without the aero kit. I was trying to clarify that not all ASPEC trims get that front and rear bumper. So my pictures were relevant.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Some accessories have more function than others (not saying they're all bad!) but the primary purpose is money-making. And at $900, the "Aero Kit" is successful.
I'm pretty sure the a-spec kit on previous gens actually improved aerodynamics.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by skd2k1
Ehhh. Debate-able. Mostly for looks.. But looked way better then this shit.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:21 PM
Suzuka Master

"Aerodynamics" is a very broad term.

I would say no lip is going to really improve aerodynamics as they are typically going to increase drag.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by aomechmarine
Ehhh. Debate-able. Mostly for looks.. But looked way better then this shit.
"Aerodynamics" is a very broad term.

I would say no lip is going to really improve aerodynamics as they are typically going to increase drag.
this is from the 3g tl aspec press release:

The package comes equipped with an aero kit that includes either a deck lid or rear wing spoiler. In addition to highlighting the TL's performance-oriented styling, the aero kit helps improve the car's aerodynamics, with wind tunnel testing indicating improvements in both coefficient of drag and coefficient of lift.
https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...ce-kit-540249/
Old 03-30-2015, 08:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Press releases say a lot of things.

Id like to see some evidence from the wind tunnel testing before Id ever believe there are any gains to be seen.

"Helps improve aerodynamics" is again a very broad way of explaining it.

The car is lower. Therefor it will have less pressure under the car creating a higher pressure above the car. Which means more downforce. Not less resistance.

When people hear aerodynamics they think of a blade cutting through air with little resistance. That is not what this front lip does. It creates more downforce which is a characteristic of aerodynamics but not exactly what people assume when they read the details in that press release.

Saying a car is more aerodynamic make it sound like it will travel faster. Not the case here. The TL is more glued to the ground... not less resistant.

Maybe that was my own fault in thinking you guys meant the car has less air resistance with the front lip on. It is infact more air resistant, but also produces more downforce. With a car making the power the TL Aspec does, you would want less resistance far more than more downforce.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Press releases say a lot of things.

Id like to see some evidence from the wind tunnel testing before Id ever believe there are any gains to be seen.
if I thought acura was lying in their press release I probably wouldn't buy an acura.

Maybe that was my own fault in thinking you guys meant the car has less air resistance with the front lip on. It is infact more air resistant, but also produces more downforce. With a car making the power the TL Aspec does, you would want less resistance far more than more downforce.
I seriously doubt adding an aspec front lip and/or rear deck spoiler is going to slow the car down.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:13 PM
Racer

Fair enough, but if these aerodynamic changes were as easy as adding a bit of plastic here and there/drastic enough to matter anyway, wouldn't Acura just build that in from the first place to boost ever-important MPG?
Old 03-30-2015, 09:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Fair enough, but if these aerodynamic changes were as easy as adding a bit of plastic here and there/drastic enough to matter anyway, wouldn't Acura just build that in from the first place to boost ever-important MPG?
then they wouldn't be able to charge extra for the kit!
Old 04-03-2015, 09:20 AM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Check out Acura's website to back up what Ive said.

All you say is true, but all other manufactures are doing this. You can get BMW M, Audi S Line, and Mercedes AMG packages which are all badges and lip kits/wheels. I guess they figured out that looks sell. Surprise Surprise.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by iamitman
All you say is true, but all other manufactures are doing this. You can get BMW M, Audi S Line, and Mercedes AMG packages which are all badges and lip kits/wheels. I guess they figured out that looks sell. Surprise Surprise.
Baaaaaahahahahahahaaaaa
Please.
AMGs and M series have much more than a lip kit and wheels my friend. Much more.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:44 AM
Suzuka Master

they also cost a heckuva lot more too. although e9x m3's are really coming down in price!
Old 04-03-2015, 09:56 AM
Suzuka Master

they also cost a heckuva lot more too. although e9x m3's are really coming down in price!
You have to pay to play.

With the ilx there is little paying and little playing. The aspec looks great but it's a waste of money. Unlike an AMG or M series.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:02 AM
Suzuka Master

You have to pay to play.

With the ilx there is little paying and little playing. The aspec looks great but it's a waste of money. Unlike an AMG or M series.
true. I don't see a bunch 3g type-s around where I live and I've only seen another type-s with aspec just driving around (not counting a meet) like once ever, so mine is somewhat unique. although, just about everybody on azine has aspec.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:06 AM
Racer

Baaaaaahahahahahahaaaaa
Please.
AMGs and M series have much more than a lip kit and wheels my friend. Much more.
Ok let's play!

Here is M Package you can get on any BMW:

"M Sport package.
One of sporty aesthetics’ finest hours: the optional M Sport package presents the future-orientated dynamics of the BMW 5 Series Sedan at their most energetic.
Exclusive equipment details create visual exclamation marks while the M Sport suspension* streamlines driving dynamics and improves performance. The exterior components of the M Aerodynamics package reinforce the sporty appearance of the BMW 5 Series Sedan. Powerful air inlets give the flow-optimised front apron more presence. Side skirts with additional contour lines sharpen the vehicle profile; this is perfectly rounded off by the rear apron with exhaust pipe finishers in Dark Chrome and a striking diffusor in Dark Shadow metallic, which increases the contact pressure at high speeds. You have the choice between two M light-alloy wheels in Double-spoke style: the 18-inch 613 M or the 19-inch 351 M.

As soon as you open the door, the M door sill finisher with chrome inserts and the M logo draws your gaze in to the interior of the M Sport package, where further exciting features await. The Sport seats are covered in an exclusive cloth/Alcantara combination Grey Shadow/Anthracite with the M look (optionally available as comfort seats for driver and front passenger in Dakota leather, black Nappa leather with exclusive stitching or BMW Individual leather). In the cockpit, the M multifunction steering wheel fits perfectly in the hand and allows the driver complete control. The interior trim strip, e.g. in Aluminium Hexagon and the BMW Individual headliner Anthracite add an athletic note."
Old 04-03-2015, 10:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Oh goody!! Lets play!

According to what you've posted the rear diffuser on the M series
increases the contact pressure at high speeds
Oh well that's cool. Theres a small performance buff the M3 gets over the casual 328i.

Oh and would you look at that...
while the M Sport suspension* streamlines driving dynamics and improves performance.
Heeeeey. That's two performance pluses the M3 has over the 328i.

But that's just according to what you shared. Digging deeper shows the 328i runs around 300hp while the M is sitting around 425hp. That's a 125 horsepower increase with aero pieces that actually function and a performance oriented suspension. Yeeeep. You're right. Only lip kit and wheels on the M series.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:42 AM
Racer

Oh goody!! Lets play!

According to what you've posted the rear diffuser on the M series
Oh well that's cool. Theres a small performance buff the M3 gets over the casual 328i.

Oh and would you look at that...

Heeeeey. That's two performance pluses the M3 has over the 328i.

But that's just according to what you shared. Digging deeper shows the 328i runs around 300hp while the M is sitting around 425hp. That's a 125 horsepower increase with aero pieces that actually function and a performance oriented suspension. Yeeeep. You're right. Only lip kit and wheels on the M series.
No where I mentioned that M3 was just badges, but since you seem to want to play. Let's!

You can get M-Package like A-Spec on run of the mill 3 series and make it appear like M than shelling out twice the price for M3.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:51 AM
Suzuka Master

No where I mentioned that M3 was just badges, but since you seem to want to play. Let's!

You can get M-Package like A-Spec on run of the mill 3 series and make it appear like M than shelling out twice the price for M3.
Dude. Just stop.

The M series is a performance version of the 3 series. When you buy an M3, people in their 328i know you have a performance version.

The A Spec ILX in no way is any faster than the non A Spec and wont be no matter how much money you give the dealer.

The difference is black and white. You can argue until you're blue in the face but it wont change the facts buddy. Sure you can put an M badge and M series wheels on a 328i but it wont have the power everyone knows the M series should have.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:55 AM
Suzuka Master

No where I mentioned that M3 was just badges
but all other manufactures are doing this. You can get BMW M, Audi S Line, and Mercedes AMG packages which are all badges and lip kits/wheels. I guess they figured out that looks sell. Surprise Surprise.
Uh yeah you did. I said the a spec sucks because it has no performance benefits. You responded that BMW Audi and Merc do that too... you said they are "all badges and lip kits/wheels."

They are much much more than badges lip kits and wheels. They have real performance put into them which the A Spec does not.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:24 AM
Racer

Dude. Just stop.

The M series is a performance version of the 3 series. When you buy an M3, people in their 328i know you have a performance version.

The A Spec ILX in no way is any faster than the non A Spec and wont be no matter how much money you give the dealer.

The difference is black and white. You can argue until you're blue in the face but it wont change the facts buddy. Sure you can put an M badge and M series wheels on a 328i but it wont have the power everyone knows the M series should have.

This was exactly my point. Fact that you can get a M Sport Package (not M3) from BMW on 328i is exactly what Acura is doing with A Spec. Which is diluting the M Brand.I guess A-Spec Type S will be the "equivalent" of what M3 is to 328i.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:39 AM
Suzuka Master

This was exactly my point. Fact that you can get a M Sport Package (not M3) from BMW on 328i is exactly what Acura is doing with A Spec. Which is diluting the M Brand.I guess A-Spec Type S will be the "equivalent" of what M3 is to 328i.
The a spec used to be performance oriented like the M series still is.

The M package, thought not a real M series, still has performance boosts to it. Like aero actually designed for a function and upgraded suspension.

The a spec now is a joke and only cosmetic. Even the M package has performance upgrades the a spec lacks.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:44 AM
Suzuka Master

The a spec used to be performance oriented like the M series still is.

The M package, thought not a real M series, still has performance boosts to it. Like aero actually designed for a function and upgraded suspension.

The a spec now is a joke and only cosmetic. Even the M package has performance upgrades the a spec lacks.
a spec aerodynamics do the same thing the m aero package does. there's also a spec suspension upgrade, well not sure if that is offered on ilx or not.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:49 AM
Suzuka Master

a spec aerodynamics do the same thing the m aero package does. there's also a spec suspension upgrade, well not sure if that is offered on ilx or not.
The aspec on the ilx most definitely is not functional like the BMW M diffuser.

And the a spec ilx had absolutely no performance benefits unless the wheels are maybe .5in wider.

Quick Reply: Looks like the 2016 ILX Aspec front is a thing.