List your Problems/Issues with the ILX

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 10:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spirited Driver
How did they determine it was the shock and are you still experiencing any noise?
We road tested the shock they heard the noise and determined from that if was the shock. Replaced it happened again I'm now on my 3rd shock and seems to be fine. According to the dealer acura had a bad batch of shocks
Old 08-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 3g_TL
We road tested the shock they heard the noise and determined from that if was the shock. Replaced it happened again I'm now on my 3rd shock and seems to be fine. According to the dealer acura had a bad batch of shocks
Can you please provide the part # of the shocks that are currently in there rite now? Additionally; what dealership were they replaced at?
Old 08-03-2013, 10:37 PM
Intermediate

Can you please provide the part # of the shocks that are currently in there rite now? Additionally; what dealership were they replaced at?
I'm not sure of the part number but the dealer should know what part number is bad. They where bad for both the 13 ilx and the 13 rdx. They got replaced at buerkle acura Brooklyn Park mn. Corporate acura sent out an email to all service departments that any shock noise complaint should check for a certain pay number and replace it if it falls under that number.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:47 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 3g_TL
I'm not sure of the part number but the dealer should know what part number is bad. They where bad for both the 13 ilx and the 13 rdx. They got replaced at buerkle acura Brooklyn Park mn. Corporate acura sent out an email to all service departments that any shock noise complaint should check for a certain pay number and replace it if it falls under that number.
Thanks. Certain "pay" number?
Old 08-06-2013, 11:59 AM
Intermediate

Thanks. Certain "pay" number?
Part not pay
Old 08-11-2013, 09:33 PM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
New one but more annoying than a real issue. The driver side protectant 3M adhesive wasn't stuck down very well and is getting lots of dirt under it. I was at Acura getting my front plate mounted and asked them about it and the parts guy seemed stumped anyone know the part number for the adhesive that's just in front of the rear wheel wells?
Old 08-11-2013, 09:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
I wondered why the ILXs even came with that adhesive.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:55 PM
Racer

Yeah it's not like our fenders are flared or anything and on white it kinda stands out but nevertheless I'd like to get them to replace it plus the dirt underneath could scratch the paint with my sons getting in and out of the back all the time
Old 08-11-2013, 11:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 412 Likes on 194 Posts
Occasionally my audio display screen will show the incorrect album art & song title when playing directly from an iPod or iPhone via USB cord.

Also, yesterday I had an issue with key fob detection. Key was in the car, and the car still wouldn't start because it said the key was not detected.

Finally, the last time I washed the car, I took it to a high pressure wash to clean the undercarriage really well. The black paint inside the front wheel wells sprayed right off. It's so thin. So now the insides of my wheel wells are body-color (silver) in front. I'll post a picture later. Not something you notice right away, and I might actually prefer it that way, just a heads up to people who use high pressure / powerwashing equipment.

No other known issues. In the middle of a 2,500+ mile trip and I like to use this thread as a running log so I can track my experience with the car.

2013 2.4 with 50,700 miles now.

Last edited by 4cruizn; 08-12-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Somewhere along this last weekend's road trip, one of my ILX's plastic trunk hinge covers fell off. One clip is missing so there's no way to reattach.

Name:  trunk_hinge_cover.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  46.1 KB

Car still cleans up decent for 52,300 on the odometer.

These are the original Michelin Pilot MXM4's. They're getting replaced tomorrow.

Name:  after_wash.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  67.0 KB
Old 08-17-2013, 08:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 248 Likes on 229 Posts
With the amount of luggage you had in your trunk it is not surprising. How did you get it all in there?
Old 08-17-2013, 09:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by terdonal
With the amount of luggage you had in your trunk it is not surprising.
It was a little tight. Especially since my grandma had some old photo albums that she wanted to take to distribute at the reunion.

We ended up filling the trunk to the max, and then having a few smaller items inside the cabin at our feet (cooler with treats/drinks, a garment bag in the rear window, etc). Thankfully, though, we had plenty of head/leg room. If I'd been traveling with three adult male passengers, we probably would have been in trouble.

In all though I was happy with how much space we did have.

Edit: One more thing to add to this thread, and it's not a 'problem' as much as a wear item. I finally had my first bulb burn out. The driver's side (front left) marker light is now out. I have driven with headlights & fogs on nearly 100% of the time (safety reasons, primarily), and this is the first one to go. Just thought I'd share.

Last edited by 4cruizn; 08-18-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:54 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
13 months of ownership with 25,000 km (~15,000 miles) logged in the car (2.0 Tech). My issues:

I get this all the time. It's a great indicator to who pays attention to detail all the time
Occasionally my audio display screen will show the incorrect album art & song title when playing directly from an iPod or iPhone via USB cord.
I had my right fog light burn out and was charged 40 bucks at the dealership for its replacement.

One of my keys' battery was weak, so the car was having troubles detecting it and would complain at first occasionally and then every week. Costed 16 bucks to replace it.

While I have a small wishlist for the car, which would determine if I'd buy another one in the future or not, it's still a great car that I'd recommend to anyone.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rickards
13 months of ownership with 25,000 km (~15,000 miles) logged in the car (2.0 Tech). My issues:

I get this all the time. It's a great indicator to who pays attention to detail all the time

I had my right fog light burn out and was charged 40 bucks at the dealership for its replacement.

One of my keys' battery was weak, so the car was having troubles detecting it and would complain at first occasionally and then every week. Costed 16 bucks to replace it.

While I have a small wishlist for the car, which would determine if I'd buy another one in the future or not, it's still a great car that I'd recommend to anyone.
Why did you pay out of pocket for any of that within the warranty period?
Old 08-18-2013, 05:15 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Pablo Honey
Why did you pay out of pocket for any of that within the warranty period?
Both of those items carry a 1 year/20,000 km warranty period and I went in at 23,000 km and they wouldn't give me a break. At the time I went, I took advantage of one of Acura Canada's promotion which was a full inspection for ~100 bucks rather than 250 and they didn't seem happy about it on the phone, so maybe this was their way of making back some money.

Last edited by Rickards; 08-18-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:56 PM
Racer

I got a dumb one, but my dome light burned out!?!?! The car only has 5600 miles on it and I have not left it on overnight??? Anyone else prematurely have bulbs burn out?

Guess I'm upgrading that one first... Lol
Old 09-03-2013, 02:26 AM
'06 RL Tech

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 4cruizn
These are the original Michelin Pilot MXM4's. They're getting replaced tomorrow.
What are you going with next? Same?
Old 09-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by neveronlineilx
I got a dumb one, but my dome light burned out!?!?! The car only has 5600 miles on it and I have not left it on overnight??? Anyone else prematurely have bulbs burn out? Guess I'm upgrading that one first... Lol
No dome lights, but I did have my front marker light burn out.

Originally Posted by JMJ3rd
What are you going with next? Same?
Yes I actually found an Ebay vendor that sells new tires. Ended up going with the exact same setup as OEM. Like $460 shipped for 4 tires, I think.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:24 AM
7th Gear

I have the issue with "water sloshing" and dripping when it rains, I also hear the rear "creak" when going over the right size bump, I just got it used with 18k on it and I love it. I had a 2007 TL that got totalled and before that, i had a 1995 Honda Civic EX manual, this car seemed like a happy medium. I have never owned a six speed manual so i need you guys to help me out. My sixth gear is harder to ge into than the others. If i try to shift from fifth to sixth, it wants to go down to forth, i haveto cup my hand over it as if i would try to go into reverse and slam it into sixth. Before i bring this up to the dealer and get the run around, i need to know. Is this "normal"? All the gears seem a bit harder to get into than my friends 2005 RSX, but i know that is a different transmission. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:47 PM
Racer

I got a dumb one, but my dome light burned out!?!?! The car only has 5600 miles on it and I have not left it on overnight??? Anyone else prematurely have bulbs burn out?

Guess I'm upgrading that one first... Lol
Just got around to fixing the dome light and to my surprise its not not burned out, I also noticed the footwell lights dont work (map lights doo though)... I thought hmmm maybe a fuse, but nope fuse is still intact...

Now Im guessing its the switch or relay that tells those lights to turn on when the doors are open, but teh dome still wont turn on when in the on position

Guess its time to take it to Acura
Old 09-30-2013, 05:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 463 Likes on 197 Posts
Just got around to fixing the dome light and to my surprise its not not burned out, I also noticed the footwell lights dont work (map lights doo though)... I thought hmmm maybe a fuse, but nope fuse is still intact...

Now Im guessing its the switch or relay that tells those lights to turn on when the doors are open, but teh dome still wont turn on when in the on position

Guess its time to take it to Acura
That scares me. My rear dome light was the first to go in my TSX, soon followed by the gear indicator lights down by the shifter and then the the passenger side heated seat light. Of course the HVAC and Radio lights/ displays started flickering and even eventually died all together. But strangely, last I checked the PCB in the radio that kills the HVAC/ Radio lights and displays had nothing to do with any other lighting in the car.

Hope you ILX guys don't have to deal with as big as an issue as in the first couple year TSX's.

On a side note. This is a Civic. And as far I know, they don't have this issue. So unless Acura is using a different part this problem shouldn't exist. And if Acura IS using a different part, then did they make them faulty just to get more money out of our pockets!? Just a little over thinking it I suppose.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:33 PM
1st Gear

got my 2014 ilx base only a month ago. 1.3k miles
1. I got the rear clunk noise the first day. Whenever I make a abrupt stop, i can hear it. I checked everything but didn't find anything loose, so it could be the shock
2. Today( one month into my ownership) I found my a piece of exterior trim is bulging out. This is a piece on the right side, just above the windshield's bottom right corner. Tried to push it back but not able to, doesn't feel its broken inside or something. maybe it was like that when i bought it but i just overlooked.

Going back to dealer tonight!!!
Old 12-30-2013, 09:59 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
2013 Tech, I've had it 2 1/2 months and have put 3,000 miles on it, on top of the 750 miles it accumulated as a dealer demo. Most of these are 'persnickety' stuff that most people probably wouldn't think twice about...

-Defective HFL microphone, replaced under warranty, the difference is night and day.

-About a week ago, the proximity ignition didn't recognize my key fob. I had to hold the fob up next to the button for about 10-15 seconds before the starter engaged. So far, it hasn't recurred.

-There's a rough edge in the paint along the gas filler door, right where you place your finger to open it. It looks like a factory defect, versus touch-up. I haven't gotten around to wet sanding it yet.

-I know we're all driving gilded Civics, basically, but I still wish there was a bit more "Acura" in the interior, especially the door panels. I don't like being able to press the panel in beneath the window controls so easily; this is also right where my knee hits the door when driving.

-The center console "metallic" plastic scratches easily. So do the key fobs.

-Lastly, I'd like to meet the engineer (has to be ex-General Motors) who designed the rear seatback release mechanism. It always takes me at least two attempts to fold the seat down, as it's heavy enough to relatch the moment you release the pull lever in the trunk.

-
The following 2 users liked this post by Flightwriter:
4cruizn (12-30-2013), robtroxel (01-02-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 09:21 PM
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Transmission - 2.4L MT

Brand new car (200 miles) and I'm noticing the manual transmission doesn't shift as smooth as I would like. Anyone have the same issue? No real grinding but I can feel it a bit more than I thought I would. 4th/5th/6th are better. Snyncros just don't seem to line up quite right....
Old 01-02-2014, 10:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
I love my car too much. HUGE PROBLEMZZ!!
Old 01-06-2014, 11:48 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by OSUBeaver
Brand new car (200 miles) and I'm noticing the manual transmission doesn't shift as smooth as I would like. Anyone have the same issue? No real grinding but I can feel it a bit more than I thought I would. 4th/5th/6th are better. Snyncros just don't seem to line up quite right....
My tranny shifts real smooth and I'm at almost 10k miles, you should take it in to the dealer and have them drive it with you in the car, if it's a notchy shift could be low on fluid, this is one of the smoothest shifting manual trannies out there so if I were you I'd have it checked
The following users liked this post:
OSUBeaver (01-07-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 10:06 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flightwriter
-Defective HFL microphone, replaced under warranty, the difference is night and day.
-
What did the hands free link sound like before you replaced it? Did it not work at all or was it just bad quality? I think I might have the same issue...
Old 01-07-2014, 10:35 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by linksmask1
What did the hands free link sound like before you replaced it? Did it not work at all or was it just bad quality? I think I might have the same issue...

Extremely bad sound quality. Callers could barely hear me (and I have a rather loud "normal" voice) and the voice-activated features did not work at all. Replacing the mic solved both issues.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Mileage update - 69,125 miles

Few things have surfaced.

Glass passenger side fog light lens cracked. It's in a very susceptible place for rocks to hit it. Light still turns on for now but will probably take in water.

Also, those burned out front marker lights? It keeps happening, except they're not burned out. I have to bump the headlight housing with my fist, then they turn back on. Seems like a bad connection. FWIW, I do drive with headlights + fogs on 100% of the time.

Finally, the white plastic piece that the hood prop "snaps" into has broken, so the prop has a little bit of play/wiggle room instead of being firmly held in place when it's down. Probably heat from the engine bay weakened the plastic.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:17 PM
5th Gear

I get my '14 2.0 base delivered on Thursday and I'm happy to see that I shouldn't have any problems with it.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:00 AM
tal
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've got a 2014 ILX base. After sitting in the garage a week, the brake pedal is hard. After 2 weeks the brake pedal is rock hard. It's difficult to start the car in this condition.

Purchased the car in Nov and have VIN 10500 approx. Only about 900 mi on car now.

I think it's the brake check valve or the brake booster. Will take it to Acura when I have the RDX oil change in the next few months.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:42 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
interesting, i know that my brakes squeal like crazy if it sits more than 2 days in the garage!

Originally Posted by tal
I've got a 2014 ILX base. After sitting in the garage a week, the brake pedal is hard. After 2 weeks the brake pedal is rock hard. It's difficult to start the car in this condition.

Purchased the car in Nov and have VIN 10500 approx. Only about 900 mi on car now.

I think it's the brake check valve or the brake booster. Will take it to Acura when I have the RDX oil change in the next few months.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:18 PM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
For the ILX hybrid, the brakes are unbelivably soft! I feel like I'm pressing the damn pedal all the way down for sudden stops. When my girlfriend drives, she talks about how she doesn't feel safe if the car will come to a quick stop if it has to. Also the auto stop jerks the transmission with a jolt that I'm starting to get annoyed with it. Not sure if Toyota hybrid transitions are smoother.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
@pdpgs - yeah kinda agree on the brake thing. You know how you get used to a car? Well sometimes I'll drive my sisters accord, and i barely tap the brake, and its like WHAM sudden stop! WAAYYYY more sensitive!
Old 04-07-2014, 07:23 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by pdpgps
For the ILX hybrid, the brakes are unbelivably soft! I feel like I'm pressing the damn pedal all the way down for sudden stops. When my girlfriend drives, she talks about how she doesn't feel safe if the car will come to a quick stop if it has to. Also the auto stop jerks the transmission with a jolt that I'm starting to get annoyed with it. Not sure if Toyota hybrid transitions are smoother.
Yes the toyota hybrid transitions are much smoother. The hybrid system as a whole is a better driving experience. Well at least the Lexus engine is. I can't speak for a prius.
The following users liked this post:
pdpgps (04-07-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 04:29 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I noticed this within 10km of delivery! Did you ever use BT? I found the BT play stream was active and then stuck after I switched to USB. I just unpaired my phone the problem stopped. I was like whaaaa that is not what I am listening to.

Originally Posted by 4cruizn

Also, yesterday I had an issue with key fob detection. Key was in the car, and the car still wouldn't start because it said the key was not detected.

Finally, the last time I washed the car, I took it to a high pressure wash to clean the undercarriage really well. The black paint inside the front wheel wells sprayed right off. It's so thin. So now the insides of my wheel wells are body-color (silver) in front. I'll post a picture later. Not something you notice right away, and I might actually prefer it that way, just a heads up to people who use high pressure / powerwashing equipment.

No other known issues. In the middle of a 2,500+ mile trip and I like to use this thread as a running log so I can track my experience with the car.

2013 2.4 with 50,700 miles now.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:21 AM
3rd Gear

I have an issue with pairing my Galaxy 2 with my 2013 ILX, but it's a moot point since I recently purchased an iPhone 5. Are there any known issues that I should be aware of?
Old 04-11-2014, 10:22 AM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
My running list of gripes continues.
1) The hybrid does not have a spare tire
2) Road noise
3) Microphone doesnt washout road noise
Old 04-25-2014, 10:48 PM
Cruisin'

When I park my car in the driveway and set the E-brake, I hear this low metallic groan as I get out of the car. This continues intermittently throughout the day even when I am not touching the car.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:43 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by tal

Same here.
Got my ILX end of March, just over 1k miles now.
20% of the time after being parked over 6-8 hours, the brake pedal is pretty hard like it would only press down 1/4 inch or so.

Please let me know what the dealer says on your case.
Hey what yr is ur RDX? I got a '13 RDX.

Quick Reply: List your Problems/Issues with the ILX