List your Problems/Issues with the ILX

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 08:32 AM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
List your Problems/Issues with the ILX

I've decided to start this thread to consolidate threads that speak to any issues people are having. As well, I wanted to be sure we have a repository of issues in order to see if we could potential leverage the thread in initiating a tsb. I'll start.

A couple of things:
- Grinding second gear (it's hit or miss, sometimes it'll take a really quick high rpm shift into second, and then other times it'll grind) -- if I take my time going into the gear from high rpms, there is no issue
- Trim piece holding the right front tweeter keeps falling off
- Sunroof weathstripping is fading
- Spare tire cover flops up every time I go over a bump, producing a loud noise
- HIDs flicker on when I switch the stalk to turn on the parking lights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f9Uc0tDP_M&feature=plcp
Old 10-05-2012, 09:07 AM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
The only problem I've experienced with the hybrid tech was during a long highway drive with my wife. Her driver side airbag turned off and an alert flashed on the dashboard display. My wife took it as a compliment on her weight; has not happened since.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:42 AM
Drifting

So I spoke with the dealer:

- The trim piece became loose when the car was being serviced for the TSB. The dealer fixed the issue and its no longer a problem
- The dealer is willing to replace the sunroof trim under warranty, though I'm worried about them installing it incorrectly. Any advice on whether or not to do it would be appreciated.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:08 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My footwell lighting + map lights dont turn on, randomly stopped working this weekend.

I'm hoping it's just a fuse they need to replace.

*sigh*
Old 10-09-2012, 09:10 AM
Drifting

Neildam, how many miles?
Old 10-09-2012, 09:12 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
replace the tranny fluid with GM syncromesh modified friction.

I just did this for the 2nd time for my car this weekend
buttery smooth shifts and no more grinding/pop out in 3rd
Old 10-09-2012, 10:26 AM
Drifting

link to the fluid for me. I'll buy some and have a mechanic replace my fluid. Thanks, justin
Old 10-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
@spdandpwr - like 2,000 kms. it's really random.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by LGcbp8
Since this thread was revived today I thought some peoples might find this link helpful. Just copy/paste that part# from previous posts above (88900399) in the Part Number Search field on the right of the screen and it will come up. It's $9.48 per qt on there and it looks like they sell it by the qt, so your not stuck buying 6 at a time (unless you want that many).

Note it says free shipping on there to, but they do charge a $9.99 handling fee so thats a wash. But still $38.43 to your door is pretty good. I'll probablly pick some up later this week.

http://www.gmpartsoutlet.net/?type=parts&start=1&home=1&bcsi_scan_2285D5E8088A7CAA=UUL70GS JMEB7wcNpoBZfZSi+OEQDAAAA48iOCA==
from this thread:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/gm-synchromesh-transmission-fluid-friction-modified-621176/

and yes, I really did drain and fill this sunday.
third gear kept on kicking out of gear.
did this simple drain and fill and now she shifts like a dream!
Old 10-10-2012, 02:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
from this thread:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621176

and yes, I really did drain and fill this sunday.
third gear kept on kicking out of gear.
did this simple drain and fill and now she shifts like a dream!
I would like to chime in on this. Let me begin by saying that I've been driving manual transmissions since 1979. And, Hondas or Acuras since 1994. Ever since the "rise" of the Internet, I've been reading about "gear grind". 90% of the time people are using the term to describe something other than actual gears "grinding". In this regard, it's become somewhat a definition of terms. I generally regard "gear grinding" as a sound gears make when they refuse to go into gear or (for an example) if a beginner driver tries to force it before the clutch is fully engaged.

However, in our modern Internet world, it seems as if "gear grinding" has come to describe the feel of the synchronizers...umm... synchronizing the output shafts. Again, very difficult to describe in words but generally, this sensation is felt (through the gearshift), more than heard. In this scenario, changing the transmission fluid to GM Synchromesh friction modified may help improve shift feel. However, for a car under warranty it is a good idea to point out that this could create some ambiguity should warranty service be required down the road.

As for the car jumping out of third-year, this is (I hope) not a problem with defining the term. On a new car, I would highly recommend taking it in for warranty service. Our 2004 Honda S2000 used to jump out of second gear under a very closely defined set of circumstances. Fortunately, it was pretty repeatable once I figured it out and they were able to rectify the situation under warranty.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:54 AM

^correct, using your definition; I was not experiencing gear grind but felt the synchronizers not matching up, occasionally spitting third back out.

Will the tech drain the fluid and analyze it?
probably not.

if my vehicle was brand new and still under warranty and had this synchro problem, would I do the GM syncromesh?
YES, I would.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 463 Likes on 197 Posts
Originally Posted by neildam
My footwell lighting + map lights dont turn on, randomly stopped working this weekend.

I'm hoping it's just a fuse they need to replace.

*sigh*
Oh lawwd, lets hope this isn't another case similar to the First generation Acura TSX's Head Unit lights going out. (HVAC/ Dash console lights in 04-05 TSX's and some TL's) You would think Acura could learn!! Or even use the same electronics that are not faulty. They must do it to get more money out of the customers wanting the fix. Its dirty but every Manufacture today does it in some way.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Timmy18
Oh lawwd, lets hope this isn't another case similar to the First generation Acura TSX's Head Unit lights going out. (HVAC/ Dash console lights in 04-05 TSX's and some TL's) You would think Acura could learn!! Or even use the same electronics that are not faulty. They must do it to get more money out of the customers wanting the fix. Its dirty but every Manufacture today does it in some way..
Hoping this doesn't become true however. If it does lets hope Acura adds in longer warranties and mileages.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:25 AM
Drifting

Has anyone had experience using their rear window defroster? Mine seems to take a long while to actually kick-in/be effective. I can usually get heat running and defrosting my front window before the rear even has lines from heating up the rear window.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive had to have my brakes resurfaced because they made a grinding noise when i stopped, i wanted them to replace the center trim piece but the non navi screen cuz it sags and now my right rear suspension clunks...less then 3500 mi
Old 10-17-2012, 05:27 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
now my right rear suspension clunks...less then 3500 mi
I think I may be able to attest to that as well, along with my front right.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:56 PM
Drifting

hmmm...I wonder what's going on. fortunately, the problems are isolated to mechanical equipment and can be rectified with relative ease...the electronics have been otherwise flawless.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:18 PM
Intermediate

got an appointment on monday hopefully they can find whats up. also ive noticed ALOT of ilx drivers are complaining about the front end noise and no one can figure it out.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:45 PM
Intermediate

ok got the car back today it was my shock on the passanger rear side
Old 10-24-2012, 09:51 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 3g_TL
ok got the car back today it was my shock on the passanger rear side

How did they determine it was the shock and are you still experiencing any noise?
Old 10-25-2012, 03:13 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by spdandpwr
Has anyone had experience using their rear window defroster? Mine seems to take a long while to actually kick-in/be effective. I can usually get heat running and defrosting my front window before the rear even has lines from heating up the rear window.
I have that exact same issue. Hopefully it's an easy fix, since I live in Alaska..
Old 11-09-2012, 09:56 AM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
Everyone probably knows of this and all of us owners are still on warranty but....found a nice website that details the range of costs of ILX repairs based on your location (zip code). Also gives preventive measures and common symptoms.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...ra_ILX/Owners/
The following users liked this post:
Kcmo1971 (04-11-2014)
Old 03-26-2013, 09:39 PM
4th Gear

Unhappy ILX 6-speed: shifting issue 1st through 4th

Picked up my ILX last week, and it only has 600kms on it. Worked fine last week, but finding it feels like it grinds or rubs against something when I up-shift to 2nd or down to 2nd; occasionally when dropping to 3rd. Hard to describe, but feels like a "popping" when putting it into second; have to finesse it in. No issues apparent in 5th or 6th.

Had an 07 accord V6 6spd mt 4-door and never had an issue, and drove it hard.
Any ideas or suggestions appreciated. Taking it back to dealer next week.
Thanks all!
Old 03-27-2013, 08:33 AM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
seems these shifter issues are hit or miss.
Mine has been buttery smooth since day 1 of me buying the car.

Ive replaced 2 fuses for the map and footwell lighting already. I really don't understand what's causing this issue and that clunking in the rear seems to be getting louder, or I'm just paying attention to it more. I'm really not too sure what's going on.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:50 AM
Drifting

My car has gotten a lot better over time. The only issue is I do feel the shifter get harder to go into gear when the car is really warmed up / during long drives. I had the same issue with my si.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:52 PM
Drifting

so a new rattle developed somewhere on the passenger side and a different rattle or creak coming from the rear of the car.

seems the faster I go, the noisier the creaks/rattles. Sounds like the passenger door panel is rubbing against something and the rear seats aren't sitting flush against the back frame. I feel like the latch for the rear fold downs aren't properly seated or tight enough. I can kind of wiggle the rear seats back and forth and I hear the creaking because of it.

I'm thinking of using some rubber wrapping material to wrap the latch piece so that it doesnt make the noise so much and for the passenger door panel, I'll have to find exactly where its loose and maybe put some insulation tape between the panel and door frame.

it really does seem like acura just stamped these cars out and didn't bother testing them at all. these little annoyances coming from a car with less than 2000 miles are definitely unacceptable.

oh and I was accelerating onto the highway today, got behind a truck going way too slow (maybe 45 on a 65mph highway), as I was switching lanes, the truck kicked up a little pebble and it put a nice little crack on my windshield. Cant really say thats Acura's fault, but I'm going to blame that on them too. DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT ACURA!
Old 03-27-2013, 01:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 127 Likes on 92 Posts
My passenger seat headrest rattles.. the rubber/plastic on the driver side window rattles.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:07 PM
Drifting

yup, the rubber/plastic on 3 out of 4 doors rattle and make weird creaking noises. I also found out the the door handle on the passenger side rattle as well. its so aggravating while driving. instead I just drive with windows down because its become unbearable..

I'm gonna try to spray some silicon on the rubbers..
Old 03-28-2013, 12:34 PM
Drifting

you guys have some rattle boxes...my car is rattle free. I only have that flopping noise when I go over big bumps, which I guess is the suspension. I do have lots of road noise, but I think it's because of the tires / tarmac I drive on because on smooth roads it's all good.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

you guys have some rattle boxes...my car is rattle free. I only have that flopping noise when I go over big bumps, which I guess is the suspension. I do have lots of road noise, but I think it's because of the tires / tarmac I drive on because on smooth roads it's all good.

Something to be said about American quality control and inconsistencies..
Old 03-28-2013, 03:29 PM
Drifting

whatever the case, I still love the car.
The following users liked this post:
Kcmo1971 (04-11-2014)
Old 03-28-2013, 03:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

I like it but if you asked me to choose between rattles and no rattles guess what I'd pick!? haha
Old 04-02-2013, 02:23 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1. The doors "retain water". It will rain on Monday and Friday when I open the doors there's still water dripping out the bottom, and if I roll the front windows up or down they come back up wet (though the back windows are fine).

2. The iPod "search" feature sometimes tells me that my iPod is blank. I reboot the iPod, re-insert it, let the index rebuild, and it's fine for awhile. I mainly get this issue on my iPod classic which has more than 30,000 songs. My Nano, with 1,500 songs, has never misfunctioned in the car.

3. The trunk release sometimes doesn't recognize when I'm standing near the car and I have to walk away a few feet and then back to the car to open the trunk (or open it manually from inside the car).

4. The "gas cap is loose" voice warning comes on sometimes when there's nothing wrong with the gas cap.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sfguy
1. The doors "retain water". It will rain on Monday and Friday when I open the doors there's still water dripping out the bottom, and if I roll the front windows up or down they come back up wet (though the back windows are fine).

2. The iPod "search" feature sometimes tells me that my iPod is blank. I reboot the iPod, re-insert it, let the index rebuild, and it's fine for awhile. I mainly get this issue on my iPod classic which has more than 30,000 songs. My Nano, with 1,500 songs, has never misfunctioned in the car.

3. The trunk release sometimes doesn't recognize when I'm standing near the car and I have to walk away a few feet and then back to the car to open the trunk (or open it manually from inside the car).

4. The "gas cap is loose" voice warning comes on sometimes when there's nothing wrong with the gas cap.
AHHH! Everything is electrical! Acura is turning into a VW!

JK.

Its the first model year, I knew it was coming. I wonder if in 2-3 years the radio displays will go blank like my TSX's did (and still are).
Old 04-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
I've decided to start this thread to consolidate threads that speak to any issues people are having. As well, I wanted to be sure we have a repository of issues in order to see if we could potential leverage the thread in initiating a tsb. I'll start.

A couple of things:
- Grinding second gear (it's hit or miss, sometimes it'll take a really quick high rpm shift into second, and then other times it'll grind) -- if I take my time going into the gear from high rpms, there is no issue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f9Uc0tDP_M&feature=plcp
Same issue with the trim piece. It doesn't seem to fit perfectly in place and it's loose on both the left and right side tweeters.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:25 PM
Drifting

Go to the dealer....they'll fix. It has to deal when they did the tsb on the car when it first came out.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:45 PM
Racer

[QUOTE=spdandpwr;14081270]I've decided to start this thread to consolidate threads that speak to any issues people are having. As well, I wanted to be sure we have a repository of issues in order to see if we could potential leverage the thread in initiating a tsb. I'll start.

A couple of things:

Unfortunately, what we all thought "Spare tire cover flops up every time I go over a bump, producing a loud noise" is not the case as we now know.

The culprit here is: Struts/Shocks producing the noise
Old 04-04-2013, 01:48 PM
Drifting

yep, I know that now...haha, but I didn't know at the time of my post.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Racer

yep, I know that now...haha, but I didn't know at the time of my post.
My car is at the dealer AGAIN for that same reason. This time, area corporate rep and dealer service director are test driving it and will have a plan/solution for me by end of day today/tomorrow.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

It's gone for me really.. post-dynamat and break in on the shocks may have fixed it.

Quick Reply: List your Problems/Issues with the ILX