ILX vs WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 09:33 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ILX vs WRX?

Hi guys,
I currently have an 06 sti that I've owned for the past 5 years and am looking into possibly selling it for a 2016 ILX. I saw one on the road the other day and the headlights really caught my eye, looking more into them they seem like a pretty good value and think I'd like to try something different. I just see that the WRX is roughly the same price and was wondering if anyone's driven both and have a comparison? I know they're pretty different cars but the WRX's have definitely come a long way in terms of luxury offerings on certain trims, I've driven in my buddies 2016 wrx loaded and was pretty impressed(especially coming from an older sti).

Also how well do these respond to performance mods? I ended up doing a whole bunch of work to my sti over the years I've owned it(bigger turbo, meth injection etc) and it's a BLAST to drive when you're hammering down on it, but ever since I got my street bike I've been caring less and less about wanting to go fast in a car since it's so easy/cheap on a bike but the 200hp figure still seems a bit lacking. Back in the day I had an older stock civic si and just added a 75 shot to it and was able to have some fun with it... do people still do that with these? how well do they respond to intake/headers/exhaust/tune ? Again I'm not looking for crazy numbers but would like something that can get out of it's own way when you need it to.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-23-2016, 09:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
None of the ILXs with jewel eyes have the ability to tune right now. The main group associated with tuning hondas is has made tuning software for the first 2 years only and found there was little interest.

Aside from that, the 13-15 ILX has the tuning option and the (not sure about 2015) and they have extremely similar engines to the Civic counterpart so most aftermarket parts for one fits the other. None of this is the same for the 2016.

With that said, performancewise the STI beat the ILX hands down. But if tuning for speed isnt something you are too concerned with and the ILX bodystyle catches your eye then go test drive one. I dont think you'll be disappointed unless you are expecting something as quick as your STI because it wont be.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:16 PM
4th Gear

Cool thanks for the input. I'm not really looking for something to have speed/performance like my sti, so I think the ILX would be a good choice. I talked with a dealer and am likely going to test drive one on Sat. I guess they're having some pretty good leasing deals so I may even just lease one and keep my sti for days when I wanna have some fun with a car
Old 02-24-2016, 02:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
That's actually not a bad idea. If there is one thing you'll love about the ILX vs your STi is the drastic improvement in fuel economy.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:55 PM
4th Gear

For sure was also one of the factors in my decision... right now I get 14mpg average ever since I got some motor work done with bigger turbo, injectors, tune etc. I also ended up doing suspension work making the ride super stiff/uncomfortable. This one's staying stock I swear
Old 02-24-2016, 03:10 PM
Team Owner

I just wish the ILX was still available with a 6MT. Sucks that it isn't.

As for modding and increasing power... Well... An NA car will never be able to compete with a FI car, as far as $/hp increase is concerned. You could bump the power a bit by doing basic bolt ons, but if you want crazy power, you gotta slap a turbo or SC in there...
Old 02-24-2016, 03:17 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well for starters, lets be honest.. You are on an ILX forum, the bias will be real. I've never driven an STI or a WRX (Don't like the image people associate you with). However, I have a 16' with the 8 speed DSC, and it scoots. I came from a 13' F150 FX4 and I'll accidentally be doing 100mph getting on the freeway. Plus I enjoy the 34ish mpg I've been getting out of it (Trying to keep my foot light).

Overall, the leasing offers are insane and if you enjoy the car.. You should definitely consider it.
The following users liked this post:
nothome17 (06-05-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 03:38 PM
4th Gear

Yeah I really do wish they came in the 6 spd too.. I started looking into GTI's because of that but decided against it, I've always been a honda man at heart! lol. It's more fun with a manual for sure but I can survive without it, one less thing to think about too I guess... 6 sec 0-60s definitely ain't to shabby either for a daily like that.
Anyways I think I'm going to go through with it if I end up liking the car, for $350/mo with taxes and all included(+ the first month paid) I don't think I can really go wrong
Old 02-24-2016, 04:06 PM
Rawr.

Received 715 Likes on 421 Posts
^ Lexus has had crazy promos this month; you should look into it if you haven't already...
Old 02-24-2016, 05:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Aeroin
Well for starters, lets be honest.. You are on an ILX forum, the bias will be real.
I think you came to the wrong place if you're looking for Acura fanboys.

Im probably the most "Acuras are awesome" around the ILX section and even I said the ILX wont come close performance wise.

But as OP stated the headlights at least are catching his eyes.

OP. Ill be real with you... you ain't keeping it stock.

But you can go an entirely different route if you do mod it. You can still go lower without performance in mind and have a nice cushioned air ride.

I bought my ILX knowing performance was not something I cared about. Sure I will add bolt ons but I dont care to see how high my HP can reach on a dyno nor do I care to zip through my public streets. However, I can play around with everything else and just make it all around sweet daily driver that has people asking "what is that?" or "how much was that?"
Old 02-24-2016, 05:53 PM
Team Owner

Yup, personally, I don't really see the value in modding a naturally aspirated car. It's just super expensive and your gains are minimal. I wouldn't hesitate on improving the looks and/or suspension though.

As fun as it is to get pushed back into your seat in a high HP car, being able to throw a low HP car around can be very satisfying also. Nice wheels, nice suspension mods, some cosmetic stuff (like the OEM A-Spec body kit) are where I think the strengths lie for Acura cars these days.

15-20 years ago, slapping an intake and exhaust on was considered gangster. These days, I just don't see the value in dropping $1000-1500 on those just to gain 7whp. But hey, that's just me!
Old 02-24-2016, 06:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Yup, personally, I don't really see the value in modding a naturally aspirated car. It's just super expensive and your gains are minimal. I wouldn't hesitate on improving the looks and/or suspension though.

As fun as it is to get pushed back into your seat in a high HP car, being able to throw a low HP car around can be very satisfying also. Nice wheels, nice suspension mods, some cosmetic stuff (like the OEM A-Spec body kit) are where I think the strengths lie for Acura cars these days.

15-20 years ago, slapping an intake and exhaust on was considered gangster. These days, I just don't see the value in dropping $1000-1500 on those just to gain 7whp. But hey, that's just me!

I'm still in that whole "it's gangsta to rock an intake and exhaust". lol But I admit to anyone who asks about buying an intake that HP gains will be minimal if at all and really it is just there to say "yeah Ive upgraded it."

Chances are for me. I'll pick up a cheap s2k in the future. Still NA and probably wouldnt FI it but it would easily be a fun enough car for weekend driving. Especially with light modding.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:58 PM
8th Gear

Seems like you know what you want, a quieter daily. For me, the ILX was a way to keep a manual and have 4 doors while getting decent fuel economy (usually 30-31 mpg mixed driving). Its not the fastest car, but it has enough pep to be kind of fun and I like the tech and convenience features it has that my old car didn't. One of the things the car really needed was a rear sway bar, the car felt really twitchy and unstable before upgrading.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tom312
Hi guys,
I currently have an 06 sti that I've owned for the past 5 years and am looking into possibly selling it for a 2016 ILX. I saw one on the road the other day and the headlights really caught my eye, looking more into them they seem like a pretty good value and think I'd like to try something different. I just see that the WRX is roughly the same price and was wondering if anyone's driven both and have a comparison? I know they're pretty different cars but the WRX's have definitely come a long way in terms of luxury offerings on certain trims, I've driven in my buddies 2016 wrx loaded and was pretty impressed(especially coming from an older sti).

Also how well do these respond to performance mods? I ended up doing a whole bunch of work to my sti over the years I've owned it(bigger turbo, meth injection etc) and it's a BLAST to drive when you're hammering down on it, but ever since I got my street bike I've been caring less and less about wanting to go fast in a car since it's so easy/cheap on a bike but the 200hp figure still seems a bit lacking. Back in the day I had an older stock civic si and just added a 75 shot to it and was able to have some fun with it... do people still do that with these? how well do they respond to intake/headers/exhaust/tune ? Again I'm not looking for crazy numbers but would like something that can get out of it's own way when you need it to.

Thanks in advance
oh bummer....just get 17 wrx man if you want all those mods. ILX is very peaceful luxury sedan.
The following users liked this post:
nothome17 (06-05-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 11:13 PM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
Probably wait for the new Civic SI or Type R. (They might come w/jewel headlights) Other than that, test drive and see how you feel about driving an automatic.

Last edited by nothome17; 06-05-2016 at 11:20 PM.