ILX suspension noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 12:38 PM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
Originally Posted by usdmJON
In the end. I have no idea why youre still driving the same ilx. I would have driven to the dealer and told them I cant stand the knocking and want a new ilx or I will switch dealers TODAY. Claim a breach of contract because they arent fixing the issue and youre still under warranty. Demand a new car or you will get on social media networks and highlight your grievance with acura and that specific dealer.
Ruffle some feathers, bends some fingers back. In the end dealers see selling cars as the hard part. Make it harder for them!
Awesome advice. Imagine if you created a large-scale anti-Acura campaign / movement. You'd definitely ruffle some feathers.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:39 PM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
^that post wasn't sarcastic, I'm serious
Old 11-04-2013, 09:32 AM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Approaching the second winter since the cars' debut, has anyone began to experience (people living in the Northeast) even louder thumping as the temperatures have began to drop?

I certainly have. These Sachs manufactured dampers are complete GARBAGE.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:51 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started a thread yesterday about my experience with my ILX..Only had it about 2 months and it rides rough and somewhat loud. Plan on taking it in soon, but from reading these posts, I'm not too hopeful on it being resolved. Car costs too much for it to be riding this way.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:02 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Spirited Driver
Approaching the second winter since the cars' debut, has anyone began to experience (people living in the Northeast) even louder thumping as the temperatures have began to drop?

I certainly have. These Sachs manufactured dampers are complete GARBAGE.
Temps have been relatively mild (mid 40 deg F in the mornings for the most part). I have yet to hear any loud thumping as I drive in the AM. I know that I did hear it last winter, but it has so far not shown up this year (knocks on wood).
Old 12-02-2013, 10:17 AM
Racer

Any updates on this front from anyone?
Old 12-04-2013, 06:18 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
The last couple weeks have been cold up here and the horrible crunching noise returned. Not too happy with it and thanks to construction on a major bridge, I've been driving into work every day and hearing the crunch 5-6 times a day. I'm concerned that it'll have an effect on the suspension one day because in the cold it doesn't feel like it's absorbing bumps like it does in warm weather.

I'm due for an oil change soon so I plan to bring it to the dealer's attention then along with a couple other items, such as my key still not always being detected by the car and my auto-dim mirror seeming to work when it feels like it (Got a great glimpse of that one night when an BMW SUV was humping my bumper and I couldn't see squat).
Old 12-05-2013, 09:37 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rickards
The last couple weeks have been cold up here and the horrible crunching noise returned. Not too happy with it and thanks to construction on a major bridge, I've been driving into work every day and hearing the crunch 5-6 times a day. I'm concerned that it'll have an effect on the suspension one day because in the cold it doesn't feel like it's absorbing bumps like it does in warm weather.

I'm due for an oil change soon so I plan to bring it to the dealer's attention then along with a couple other items, such as my key still not always being detected by the car and my auto-dim mirror seeming to work when it feels like it (Got a great glimpse of that one night when an BMW SUV was humping my bumper and I couldn't see squat).
Pathetic there is still no fix for these problematic dampers on the ILX & RDX after 1+ year. Even more pathetic is that Acura is aware of the problem and is allowing them to continually fly of the production line sounding like this. They should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:48 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rickards

Any update on your end?
Old 12-10-2013, 04:36 PM
Advanced

Haven't gone yet because I'm in finals mode, but I plan to next week as long as it's cold enough for the noise to be occurring.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:55 PM
Racer

Had my rear struts replaced a few days ago for the SECOND time.

Result = No difference, NONE ACURA!

Still hearing loud 'THUD' while going over manholes, dips, potholes...

Unbelievable that I am still experiencing this garbage after 17+ months of ownership to no avail.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:45 PM
Banned

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts
i think you guys should look into honda civic si model to see if there are any service bulletins or recalls on that car since it has similar if not the same suspention
Old 01-15-2014, 07:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
The only possible way a strut ALONE would make a thud is if it was empty and one end of the piston was hitting the opposite end of the housing. I guarantee all 3 were not dry.

I would be willing to bet a portion of the car that is sprung is making contact with a portion that is unsprung, creating the thud sound on impact while the suspension is in travel.

Don't replace the struts again unless Acura says its the struts. If it was, believe me they would have swapped them out the first time they saw you.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:00 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks for sharing this info...I have a 2013 ILX, and it has been getting worse (and slowly driving me insane :-( ). I am taking my car in tomorrow!
Old 01-17-2014, 02:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Kcmo1971
Thanks for sharing this info...I have a 2013 ILX, and it has been getting worse (and slowly driving me insane :-( ). I am taking my car in tomorrow!
Let us know what the outcome of your service visit is.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I am amazed that Acura has none done anything to solve this on-going issue with the rear suspension. We hear about 1st year model run problems being fixed by the second year production but to read about this problem still today is mind boggling!

Is Acura unable to solve the problem or just wanting to save money by not issuing a TSB? Their name and reliability is what is selling their cars, are they willing to jeopardize it? That seems like a very risky move to not even at least acknowledge the problem and even offering some of compensation to their customers as a form of apology for their inconvenience....even if it was a couple of hundred dollars. That would go a long way to earn customer's forgiveness
Old 01-25-2014, 08:35 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I haven't had any problems in the rear, but I just had my driver side struts replaced. It was making a slight clicking noise every time I was doing low-speed turns. Brought it in a couple months back for the problem, but couldn't duplicate it with during the road test. Btw, I took the car in for the 4th or 5th time for a "Check Emission Light" problem. I'm pretty sure I got every thing that could be replaced, replaced. This time they said there was debris stuck in the vent tube. Lets just say if it happens again, I'd be hitting up some lemons.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:24 PM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
Just to update...from a dealer perspective, now far into the 2014 ILX model year that will switch to 2015's mid year, we have only ever had 1 client with a rear suspension noise issue complain.

It may be mentioned on the forum and was just mentioned in a magazine's long term test wrap up of an ILX, but we've never seen anything but one client have an issue.

Seems to be a limited issue. Can be one, but not as widespread as forums make it appear. Neither of my back to back 2014 ILX's have made any noise or rode improperly.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:20 AM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Since the temps have dropped here in the month of January, I have noticed a big difference in the suspension. When driving over any pothole or bump the thuds are extremely LOUD and have been noted by many passengers in my car. On really cold days the suspension has seemed to be nonexistent. I also feel that, in general, the suspension has been getting louder over the months (approaching a year since purchase), but this may be just due to overall change in temp. I haven't made any mention of it to the dealer or Acura, but the topic may be worth bringing up if the problem persists into the spring/summer.

I've been keeping tabs on this issue since before I purchased, and I feel that this is probably more than a few isolated instances. I do think the issue is widespread and that failure is time-dependent as well as the car's operating conditions. I think there are many owners, like myself, who have stayed quiet on the issue, but will start to come forward (especially with this cold weather which exaggerates the issue). Time will tell

Last edited by Flyers257; 02-01-2014 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:08 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Flyers257
Since the temps have dropped here in the month of January, I have noticed a big difference in the suspension. When driving over any pothole or bump the thuds are extremely LOUD and have been noted by many passengers in my car. On really cold days the suspension has seemed to be nonexistent. I also feel that, in general, the suspension has been getting louder over the months (approaching a year since purchase), but this may be just due to overall change in temp. I haven't made any mention of it to the dealer or Acura, but the topic may be worth bringing up if the problem persists into the spring/summer.

I've been keeping tabs on this issue since before I purchased, and I feel that this is probably more than a few isolated instances. I do think the issue is widespread and that failure is time-dependent as well as the car's operating conditions. I think there are many owners, like myself, who have stayed quiet on the issue, but will start to come forward (especially with this cold weather which exaggerates the issue). Time will tell

I've only had mine for about four months, but I noticed from the start - but alas, after I'd signed the papers - that my front suspension clunked horribly over the expansion cracks on my street. It seems the slower I drive, the worse it is. I haven't noticed any untoward noises otherwise, fortunately, but it's definitely something I'm keeping my eyes and ears on.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:49 PM
Racer

BUMP!
Old 03-11-2014, 04:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Old 03-12-2014, 04:21 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
speaking of rear suspension, i had my strut replaced on my rear right. it failed.

not happy so far with the quality of the ILX, far far inferior to what i was expecting.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:28 PM
Suzuka Master

It is a case by case basis. I hear about a lot of issues my ILX doesnt see. Can't bag on Acura as a brand or ILX as a model.. gotta look at the people that put it together.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:08 PM
Advanced

Any update on your end?
Sorry about the 4 month delay! My car finally asked for A1 service this month so I took it in yesterday. Got my summer tires on, brought up the intermittent key issue I've been having (Electrical system reported Code B 1182), and asked about the suspension issue.

In short, the repair technician told me are quite a few ILX and RDX owners complaining about the suspension on their cars, and that Acura gave them directive to replaces the struts if anyone comes in complaining. He also told me that Acura is working with the supplier for an improved part and that the next time my A1 service pops up, it may be ready by then. He noted that no MDX owner reported any issue with their suspension and is hoping that the TLX has no issues as well (He couldn't confirm but he believes the MDX suspension differs from the ILX/RDX. Maybe due to SH-AWD setup?). I told him the car isn't enjoyable to drive at all in the winter because of the rough ride and road noise and he grimly acknowledged the fact.

Hopefully this issue will get fixed once and for all in the future. This Acura dealership will notify customers when they receive the new suspension part.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:26 PM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
Wonder if its the same problem as the new Odyssey and new Accord people are saying glueing the bump stops fixes the problem and Honda is working on a TSB.
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/54-201...ow-ice-12.html

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=171858
Old 03-19-2014, 12:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
^^ Bump stops huh? I've long advocated that the noise (which I don't have) is from something other than the shocks/struts. I've been thinking privately it was bushings that were changing their characteristics in the cold.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:04 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Mine were fine until I drove from where I lived in Vegas during Xmas to visit family in KC. Freezing temps, rear shocks started thudding and they have never stopped making noise after being exposed to the cold temps. Figure I will have this addressed on the next oil change if I don't trade before then. Disappointed with Acura, the road noise on a trip in this car is crazy!!
Old 03-19-2014, 11:04 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by usdmJON
It is a case by case basis. I hear about a lot of issues my ILX doesnt see. Can't bag on Acura as a brand or ILX as a model.. gotta look at the people that put it together.
Um... Acura put it together. Yes you can and should 'bag' on them for a very poor test program and the ridiculously long time it is taking them to fix it. It is their name on the car after all.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:38 AM
Advanced

i guess this is what happens if there are no winter testing. take it to sweden for 3 months of testing! or the artic (north west territories!)
Old 03-20-2014, 09:32 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Um... Acura put it together. Yes you can and should 'bag' on them for a very poor test program and the ridiculously long time it is taking them to fix it. It is their name on the car after all.
Agreed. If this were a more isolated issue I'd see Jon's point here, but the apparent high number of complaints points to a design or component problem that, frankly, a manufacturer like Honda/Acura really should have caught before unleashing it on its customers.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:46 AM
Advanced

I think the accountants were at work here.

they rather replace individual struts from owners who complain than put a quality part in the whole fleet.

Originally Posted by Flightwriter
Agreed. If this were a more isolated issue I'd see Jon's point here, but the apparent high number of complaints points to a design or component problem that, frankly, a manufacturer like Honda/Acura really should have caught before unleashing it on its customers.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:13 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Anyone have a problem getting a dealer to replace the rear shocks?
Old 03-20-2014, 07:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by x95zsk
I think the accountants were at work here.

they rather replace individual struts from owners who complain than put a quality part in the whole fleet.
Yep, agreed.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:29 AM
Racer

I did for some time. I am on my third set, and they are just as bad as my first. Worst car I've ever had. The suspension noise is so loud that it's embarrassing to have someone in the car, that's how loud and noticeable it is. I'm frustrated beyond belief with the ownership of this junk box, and my experience with Acura corporate.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:38 AM
Advanced

I did for some time. I am on my third set, and they are just as bad as my first. Worst car I've ever had. The suspension noise is so loud that it's embarrassing to have someone in the car, that's how loud and noticeable it is. I'm frustrated beyond belief with the ownership of this junk box, and my experience with Acura corporate.
the problem is the average person will not complain and will just take the dealer's word that this is normal operation.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:03 AM
Intermediate

Well im now gonna be on my 4th shock, I am tired of taking my car in for suspesion noise. its had more shocks than oil changes. Im getting rid of it and not buying acura again.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ and that is the number crunching the f* morons accountant for Acura should take into consideration. Once I get rid of my RDX, this will be the end of the line for me for Acura until I am convinced they have solved their quality control issues. Spending a few more dollars per RDX would have saved their reputation and they don't seem to give a shit about it....well, if they don't care about their reputation and their product, then why should I?

Bye Bye Acura....it was nice while it lasted but I am embarrassed to be telling people I drive a premium vehicle when the reality is that it sounds worse than a Hyundai Accent by a LONG shot!
Old 03-23-2014, 10:18 PM
Intermediate

Bye Bye Acura....it was nice while it lasted but I am embarrassed to be telling people I drive a premium vehicle when the reality is that it sounds worse than a Hyundai Accent by a LONG shot!
Its funny you say that cuz I work for a hyundai dealership and was telling my co workers the same thing.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:35 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by weather
^^ and that is the number crunching the f* morons accountant for Acura should take into consideration. Once I get rid of my RDX, this will be the end of the line for me for Acura until I am convinced they have solved their quality control issues. Spending a few more dollars per RDX would have saved their reputation and they don't seem to give a shit about it....well, if they don't care about their reputation and their product, then why should I?

I'm with you. Done with Acura. Complete joke that they have not addressed this after almost two (2) years now.

Quick Reply: ILX suspension noise