ILX suspension noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 06:18 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
I know this is not the RDX section but as you know, we have been having a similar problem there. Hand-filer just posted in the RDX (2G) section that Acura has acknowledged that a fix is under way for the RDX...maybe this will also mean that eventually, the ILX will get a similar attention.
I saw that. I REALLY hope so.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:30 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Spirited Driver
I saw that. I REALLY hope so.
Agreed. That thunking is really annoying. Acura should have done more testing prior to release on the ILX. The road noise is also annoying.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:34 PM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
I personally have no issue with road noise...but, then again, all I've driven are cars with these tires so I'm probably used to tuning the noise out.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by psunuce
Agreed. That thunking is really annoying. Acura should have done more testing prior to release on the ILX. The road noise is also annoying.
The suspension noise, whether some of us have faulty struts and along with the road noise that they call "normal" is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE for a car Acura is proud to call "luxury.

I'm going in again tomorrow, now for 6th time related to the same damn unacceptable noises on this $30k "luxury" car that I can bet a $14,000 Kia Rio doesn't sound like.

Has ANYONE had a resolution from Acura personally with this?
Old 03-11-2013, 03:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 127 Likes on 92 Posts
There's so much I could say.. but to avoid sounding like I am crying without a solution.. I will just stick to this

I am patiently waiting for Acura to release the 2014 model and if it doesnt carry this same issue but they choose not to address the 2013 model.. I will just put Acura in my rearview, simple as that. As a consumer with choices it's too easy to go with a different manufacturer. But, if this ends up being the case it will only be my own fault for buying the Honda hype.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Trentimus
There's so much I could say.. but to avoid sounding like I am crying without a solution.. I will just stick to this

I am patiently waiting for Acura to release the 2014 model and if it doesnt carry this same issue but they choose not to address the 2013 model.. I will just put Acura in my rearview, simple as that. As a consumer with choices it's too easy to go with a different manufacturer. But, if this ends up being the case it will only be my own fault for buying the Honda hype.
I was thinking the same. Let's see if they step to the plate or instead cop-out and take the back-road.

With that said, this is HIGHLY UNACCEPTABLE.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:50 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
As mentioned in a previous post, I planned to bring my car to the dealership to check out the noise, but now with much warmer weather (Above 0 Celsius), the noise vanished. I'm hoping for one last cold front so I can take it straight to the dealership and let them hear it for themselves.

If they do fix this in the 2014 model year amongst other changes and provide no fix back to the 2013, it will destroy my faith in Acura wanting to set things right. While they didn't do that with the 2012 Honda Civic when they released the 2013 model year, Acura is in an entirely separate market and I do expect them to do something about us first model year purchasers. If not, well... there's plenty of other options out there.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rickards
As mentioned in a previous post, I planned to bring my car to the dealership to check out the noise, but now with much warmer weather (Above 0 Celsius), the noise vanished. I'm hoping for one last cold front so I can take it straight to the dealership and let them hear it for themselves.

If they do fix this in the 2014 model year amongst other changes and provide no fix back to the 2013, it will destroy my faith in Acura wanting to set things right. While they didn't do that with the 2012 Honda Civic when they released the 2013 model year, Acura is in an entirely separate market and I do expect them to do something about us first model year purchasers. If not, well... there's plenty of other options out there.
This is my 3rd Acura. If they don't fix this, this will be my last, FOR SURE.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

And, the whole idea that the ILX is the only car in it's segment is already out the window. There are comperable 1st tier brands that have fancy packages and other luxury brands working towards it's price range. It's the little things that leave the lasting impression.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

YOU GUYS MIGHT WANNA CALL YOUR DEALERS UP AND CALL BULLSHIT FOR NOT HELPING YOU OUT.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...ebruary_update

The following 3 users liked this post by Trentimus:
RENARELLO (03-12-2013), Spirited Driver (03-12-2013), terdonal (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 10:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 248 Likes on 229 Posts
YOU GUYS MIGHT WANNA CALL YOUR DEALERS UP AND CALL BULLSHIT FOR NOT HELPING YOU OUT.

I would suggest all of you having trouble with this suspension noise print off this article from automag and take it into the dealer. They need to fix this.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:56 AM
Racer

WOOOW! Acura should be ASHAMED of themselves.

I have been saying this was the culprit since day one.

Thanks for posting the link.

They better take action ASAP on this. I have an apt for tomorrow.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Now pour in the "THANKS" MUAHAHAAH

No, but really it's good there is a solution. Your dealer should be ashamed.
The following users liked this post:
Spirited Driver (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 12:36 PM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
mmmm.. just to annoy them, i should go in there and get them to replace mine too, even though i'm putting in coilovers.

at least that way, when I sell the car, the next owner will have brand new struts!
Old 03-13-2013, 12:19 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
"Brinkman concluded that the sound we’d been hearing was coming from the rear dampers. He called Acura’s tech line and learned that seven ILX owners nationwide had experienced the same thing; they advised him to replace both rear dampers under warranty. "

Seven??? Really Acura? There are more than 7 in this forum alone, not to mention the RDX having the same issue. Maybe "7" is code for 700.

But thanks for finding this before it gets built into the TLX
Old 03-13-2013, 08:33 AM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
^or code for 7000.

This fiasco makes me wish I kept the infiniti G37, lease rates are absurdly low and the car is much better optioned, faster, and actually says luxury a bit louder than Acura. However, this issue not withstanding, I still have fun with the car, especially with the new sway bar
Old 03-13-2013, 08:49 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Back from the dealer regarding the front right side suspension clunking/thumping noise while driving over man holes, larger bumps, etc. Drove the car with the service manager, he wasn't able to hear or feel anything abnormal. Drove the car with a tech, he wasn't able to hear or feel anything out of the ordinary either.

I then drove a 2.0 (at) to see if the car rides the same and if I would hear/feel the same type of noise/ride, I didn't. The front right side didn't sound as loose as my car.

Service manager offered to replace the strut but I said I didn't want to just start replacing parts if we don't know exactly what it is.

I am going to continue to follow up wit them to see if a bulletin comes out on a fix as well as on heir for similar complaints.

Dealer visit #2 regarding same issue = Strike #2
WOOOW! Acura should be ASHAMED of themselves.

I have been saying this was the culprit since day one.

Thanks for posting the link.

They better take action ASAP on this. I have an apt for tomorrow.
In the quote, above, from Oct. '12 you declined a new strut... haha... so shame on you!

Who cares about the dealer throwing money at your car, you're just wasting your time by going there and not getting anything replaced/adjusted... you could have possibly had the issue solved in Oct. '12...
Old 03-13-2013, 09:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CL9 Jon
In the quote, above, from Oct. '12 you declined a new strut... haha... so shame on you!

Who cares about the dealer throwing money at your car, you're just wasting your time by going there and not getting anything replaced/adjusted... you could have possibly had the issue solved in Oct. '12...
In this case.. Spirited,
Old 03-13-2013, 10:36 AM
Instructor

Are you unable to read...

the struts are the issue... the dealer said, "lets try replacing it, that may be it"

OP said, "no thanks", in Oct.'12

Now its Mar. '13 and the OP is saying, "oh, I've said that all along... struts!"
Old 03-13-2013, 10:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Are you unable to read...

the struts are the issue... the dealer said, "lets try replacing it, that may be it"

OP said, "no thanks", in Oct.'12

Now its Mar. '13 and the OP is saying, "oh, I've said that all along... struts!"
Lol this guy didn't get the joke...

OP = Spirited..

Using "Spirited," <<<< key there "," means I am talking to him right? Is my grammar off?
Old 03-13-2013, 11:08 AM
Racer

This was for the front passenger side, what may be an "engine mount" issue or a "bad strut".

The rear noise is definitely bad struts and I was never offered to replace them since we didn't know for sure what it was. Now we do and I have an appointment for tomorrow.

Shame on you for jumping to conclusions.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

He barely ever posts and obviously when he does, he does it to be rude.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:37 AM
Instructor

Unhappy

This was for the front passenger side, what may be an "engine mount" issue or a "bad strut".

The rear noise is definitely bad struts and I was never offered to replace them since we didn't know for sure what it was. Now we do and I have an appointment for tomorrow.

Shame on you for jumping to conclusions.
He barely ever posts and obviously when he does, he does it to be rude.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

LOL.. it's always the person who is completely wrong in the post that falls back on "umad".. ultimate cop out when you could easily just say "yeah, my bad I misunderstood". But it's the internet I don't care if you like to be viewed as a troll, good sir!
Old 03-13-2013, 12:10 PM
Instructor

Old 03-13-2013, 01:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

How contradictive :gheylaugh:
Old 03-13-2013, 01:16 PM
Instructor

The following users liked this post:
Trentimus (03-13-2013)
Old 03-18-2013, 05:09 PM
Racer

Update:

Car is currently at the dealer (where I leased the vehicle) now for 4 days. Since first noticing these noises coming from the suspension (in August), I dealt with a dealer near my home for the most part, which wasn't very proactive or willing to take the extra steps in order to grab the bull by its horns and get the the bottom of this.

I went to check in with the dealership today on the progress. Via phone they said that they replaced the rear passenger-side shock after the head tech and I went on the initial test ride and confirmed the noise. After removing the shock, it did indeed fail a compression test. Techline advised dealer to replace faulty part. It was very obvious by the sounds I was hearing that the right rear was bad. Was unsure of the rear left.

Went on a test ride with the dealer service director today, after they had installed the new rear shock. Took it for a spin with him to the same area where I went with a test ride with the head tech, knowing that the noise can be easily duplicated if indeed it was fixed and the noise was no longer present.
As were driving, THUD!, THUD!, THUD!. The noise still present even after replacing with a "new shock" (same part #). Noise still present.

That all but sealed it for the dealer service/parts director that this needs to be escalated. He immediately texted his area corporate rep.

We drove back to the dealer and he and I got into another brand new ILX, with only 20 miles on it to see if it can be duplicated on a new car. Took it on the same rout, THUD!, THUD!, THUD!.

He got in touch via phone this time with the area corporate rep and he advise dealer service director that I leave the car there again, until the corporate rep stops by and they try to come up with a solution with tech-line for what seems to be these failing struts/shocks.

1: So we test drove my car with the bad shocks - Fail

2: Newly replaced shock - Fail

3: Brand new car - Fail

I was able to duplicate the noise on all three test rides.

In result, the dealership service/parts director was VERY helpful and willing to get to the root of the problem (unlike previous dealership service manager) and said he will get back to me in about two/three days once he further discuses with the area corporate rep and tech-line. Also mentioned that area corporate rep indicated to him that there has been a flair up in these complaints as of recent.

Hopefully this is the beginning and end to this terrible suspension noise we have been experiencing.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:45 PM
Racer

Car is currently at the dealer (where I leased the vehicle) now for 4 days. Since first noticing these noises coming from the suspension (in August), I dealt with a dealer near my home for the most part, which wasn't very proactive or willing to take the extra steps in order to grab the bull by its horns and get the the bottom of this.

I went to check in with the dealership today on the progress. Via phone they said that they replaced the rear passenger-side shock after the head tech and I went on the initial test ride and confirmed the noise. After removing the shock, it did indeed fail a compression test. Techline advised dealer to replace faulty part. It was very obvious by the sounds I was hearing that the right rear was bad. Was unsure of the rear left.

Went on a test ride with the dealer service director today, after they had installed the new rear shock. Took it for a spin with him to the same area where I went with a test ride with the head tech, knowing that the noise can be easily duplicated if indeed it was fixed and the noise was no longer present.
As were driving, THUD!, THUD!, THUD!. The noise still present even after replacing with a "new shock" (same part #). Noise still present.

That all but sealed it for the dealer service/parts director that this needs to be escalated. He immediately texted his area corporate rep.

We drove back to the dealer and he and I got into another brand new ILX, with only 20 miles on it to see if it can be duplicated on a new car. Took it on the same rout, THUD!, THUD!, THUD!.

He got in touch via phone this time with the area corporate rep and he advise dealer service director that I leave the car there again, until the corporate rep stops by and they try to come up with a solution with tech-line for what seems to be these failing struts/shocks.

1: So we test drove my car with the bad shocks - Fail

2: Newly replaced shock - Fail

3: Brand new car - Fail

I was able to duplicate the noise on all three test rides.

In result, the dealership service/parts director was VERY helpful and willing to get to the root of the problem (unlike previous dealership service manager) and said he will get back to me in about two/three days once he further discuses with the area corporate rep and tech-line. Also mentioned that area corporate rep indicated to him that there has been a flair up in these complaints as of recent.

Hopefully this is the beginning and end to this terrible suspension noise we have been experiencing.

10 minutes after I posted this; I received a call from the dealership service rep. He confirmed that his service director and area corporate rep have come to a conclusion that there is nothing Acura can further do at this time.

What I took from this: They are aware of the problem and customers will have to deal with it until a new part is released, while continuing to sell these cars with defective struts/shocks

As I've stated before, this is my third and LAST Acura.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts
With a fix coming for the RDX in late April, early May it would be fairly safe to assume the ILX fix is also in the works. Chill Bro, it will get dealt with.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by hand-filer
With a fix coming for the RDX in late April, early May it would be fairly safe to assume the ILX fix is also in the works. Chill Bro, it will get dealt with.
What reliable source has told you that there is a definite fix coming in April/May for the RDX?

I mentioned to the service/parts director today about the RDX experiencing similar noises and he said he hasn't heard of complaints at that particular dealership regarding the RDX.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:40 PM
Burning Brakes

What reliable source has told you that there is a definite fix coming in April/May for the RDX?
A very reliable source.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:50 AM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
A very reliable source.
I'm assuming in Canada? or they specified a recall for all the RDX's manufactured with these faulty shocks?
Old 03-19-2013, 03:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by aaronnn
I'm assuming in Canada? or they specified a recall for all the RDX's manufactured with these faulty shocks?
Asked my service/parts director again earlier today and he didn't even hear of one complaint at his particular dealership about the RDX rear clunking. He said he would call me later today once he asks his area corporate rep if he is aware of Acura releasing a new part # for the struts/shocks on the 13 RDX's.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

What did they say about that link I gave you.. It clearly stated they had the same issue and a new shock fixed it.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:29 PM
Racer

What did they say about that link I gave you.. It clearly stated they had the same issue and a new shock fixed it.
If you take a look at my below post, it details where we stand today as a community with the suspension noise on the ILX.

Acura corporate is aware and does not have a fix at the moment. Hopefully they come out with a new part/parts soon. I have a meeting with my service director and area corporate rep in about two weeks regarding this.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aaronnn
Yes to the first question. I don't know the answer to the second question but have to assume that all of the affected vehicles would be taken care of. We'll just have to wait until we receive the recall notice
Old 03-22-2013, 11:34 AM
Racer

Yes to the first question. I don't know the answer to the second question but have to assume that all of the affected vehicles would be taken care of. We'll just have to wait until we receive the recall notice
Was confirmed by a reliable source that there is no fix planned for the RDX in the U.S. as of today. Not sure about Canada.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:37 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Great info. Just got mine 1 week ago, have not noticed any noise but this thread will help if needed.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Pitbull11
Great info. Just got mine 1 week ago, have not noticed any noise but this thread will help if needed.
What state are you located in? Asking because of the temperature.

Quick Reply: ILX suspension noise