ILX suspension noise

Old 10-06-2012, 01:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
^^ That is great information for others looking in. Of course, my training has included all of that data. so I am pretty familiar with it. My only concern is that we continue to discuss the suspension as the only "possible" culprit. I continue to feel it is a little illogical to exclude other possibilities since people here only seem to notice it in the passenger front corner. If there was a systemic flaw in the shock absorber itself, I don't see how we can't hear it in other positions.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:15 AM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
For the sake of owners, can someone experiencing this problem conduct an experiment? Can you find a road obstacle ( speed bump or pothole) and roll over said obstacle with each wheel individually? Repeat with each wheel and localize the noise.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:23 AM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by rxj27
For the sake of owners, can someone experiencing this problem conduct an experiment? Can you find a road obstacle ( speed bump or pothole) and roll over said obstacle with each wheel individually? Repeat with each wheel and localize the noise.
I have done this. On the left side I feel a solid hydraulic absorption going over bumps while on the right front passenger side I hear that flat, thumping noise like there is a lack of that hydraulic absorption. This is at LOW speeds.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:31 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Colin
^^ That is great information for others looking in. Of course, my training has included all of that data. so I am pretty familiar with it. My only concern is that we continue to discuss the suspension as the only "possible" culprit. I continue to feel it is a little illogical to exclude other possibilities since people here only seem to notice it in the passenger front corner. If there was a systemic flaw in the shock absorber itself, I don't see how we can't hear it in other positions.

I totally agree with you, that's if were talking about the same type of noise.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by desrene44
I did not. I've been in three times already. I may just try to write Acura directly even though I'm sure it will be to no avail. You spend a decent amount of money on a brand new car, you want it to sound like a brand new car. I swear by Honda and Acura and are pretty much the only brand I buy, but this is starting to make me rethink that choice.
You really need to report the noise to the dealer and have this documented against your car. Otherwise Acura "HQ" will not see it. Take it back ti the service department and get a new ticket documented. Just my two-cents.

Just a funny story.. about a year ago I hear an odd noise coming from my front passenger side. Every time I hit a bump, and when I turned into my parking spot at work I hear this mechanical clicking sound. My buddy at work is also a car mechanic and he said it's my strut needing replacement. I did a little research and it seemed logical. I even started pricing out parts and if I could do it myself.... then one day I opened my glovebox and discovered it was my tire pressure gage hitting against another metal object. I moved it and problem solved! Not saying this is the same thing but just a funny story. At the time I had a good laugh at my expense.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:24 PM
Racer

Tire PSI

I just reduced my PSI from about 33-34 (recommended) to about 30-31. I think this should give it a smoother ride and wont hear as much suspension knock.

What PSI are you running on your stock Michelin's?
Old 10-06-2012, 04:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 248 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by fioravantim
I just reduced my PSI from about 33-34 (recommended) to about 30-31. I think this should give it a smoother ride and wont hear as much suspension knock.

What PSI are you running on your stock Michelin's?
32 psi
Old 10-08-2012, 12:16 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
Could the 17's be a factor? I'm in the hybrid rollin' on 16's and have not noticed this noise. Can anyone with 16 in. wheels attest to the suspension noise?
Old 10-08-2012, 12:27 PM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
I'm not getting the suspension noise -- it could be an isolated issue. Most TSB don't always involve every model; maybe there were a few bad apples in the assembly line.
The following users liked this post:
kirbman (10-17-2023)
Old 10-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 248 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by terdonal
32 psi
Correction, 33 psi.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
You really need to report the noise to the dealer and have this documented against your car. Otherwise Acura "HQ" will not see it. Take it back ti the service department and get a new ticket documented. Just my two-cents.

Just a funny story.. about a year ago I hear an odd noise coming from my front passenger side. Every time I hit a bump, and when I turned into my parking spot at work I hear this mechanical clicking sound. My buddy at work is also a car mechanic and he said it's my strut needing replacement. I did a little research and it seemed logical. I even started pricing out parts and if I could do it myself.... then one day I opened my glovebox and discovered it was my tire pressure gage hitting against another metal object. I moved it and problem solved! Not saying this is the same thing but just a funny story. At the time I had a good laugh at my expense.
Did just that. Went in today to have a ticket written up from my visit last week (which they weren't able to hear/find anything).

-front end noise
-trunk floor lid noise
Old 10-09-2012, 07:32 AM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
^going to go in for the trunk lip noise and have that documented
Old 10-14-2012, 11:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yup sounds like the ILX are having the same problems as the TSX's. same noise its coming from the ball joints. no fix yet. looks like the 2012 and 2013 are all having the same problems. sucks what happening to the quality of the Honda parts.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:56 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by TSXCHI99
yup sounds like the ILX are having the same problems as the TSX's. same noise its coming from the ball joints. no fix yet. looks like the 2012 and 2013 are all having the same problems. sucks what happening to the quality of the Honda parts.
TSX/ILX each have a different suspension setup. How so?
Old 10-15-2012, 01:05 PM
Suzuka Master

TSX has a double wishbone setup with upper and lower control arms and a "dual mode dampers". The ILX uses a McPherson strut setup with "amplitude reactive dampers"
Old 10-15-2012, 06:36 PM
Intermediate

same problems from the noise coming from the ball joints is what i was referring to. dont let them replace your struts like they did mine. they will figure the problem out with a TSB soon. its a quality control issue that i know someone at honda lost there job over. after 3 months of tearing the car apart and almost replacing everything on the front end trying to find the problem. they decided to move me into a 2012 HFP V6 Coupe with navi. after owned 06 tsx 10 tsx and a 12. the noise is hard to reproduce and is most noticeable when chassis is heated up after long driving in hot weather. most of the 2012 tsx owners are all waiting on the tsb to come out. the noise is really annoying especially when someone spend 30k for a new car and it sounds like an old POS
Old 10-15-2012, 07:09 PM
Racer

same problems from the noise coming from the ball joints is what i was referring to. dont let them replace your struts like they did mine. they will figure the problem out with a TSB soon. its a quality control issue that i know someone at honda lost there job over. after 3 months of tearing the car apart and almost replacing everything on the front end trying to find the problem. they decided to move me into a 2012 HFP V6 Coupe with navi. after owned 06 tsx 10 tsx and a 12. the noise is hard to reproduce and is most noticeable when chassis is heated up after long driving in hot weather. most of the 2012 tsx owners are all waiting on the tsb to come out. the noise is really annoying especially when someone spend 30k for a new car and it sounds like an old POS
Colin- What are your thoughts?
Old 10-18-2012, 12:27 AM
8th Gear

I think you nailed it. I was wondering about how I didn't hear it in the morning but only after the car had been driving for a bit for that day. And I also live in Phoenix so it's super hot here. Thanks for the information and I hope a TSB comes out very soon.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Colin- What are your thoughts?
I'm not sure what to make of this. Remember, I'm in sales not service. However, I haven't had any of my TSX customers complain about suspension noise.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a clunking nose from the right rear area. when i it with just the driver side no noise passenger side alot of noise
Old 10-18-2012, 09:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 3g_TL
when i it with just the driver side no noise passenger side alot of noise
Sorry, I have no idea what you're trying to say???
Old 10-21-2012, 01:06 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Colin
Sorry, I have no idea what you're trying to say???
lol you think i would check my spelling when i use my phone since it always auto corrects stupid shit any ways it was suppose to read "when i hit with just the driver side i have no noise, hit with passenger side a lot of noise"
Old 10-21-2012, 10:36 AM
Racer

lol you think i would check my spelling when i use my phone since it always auto corrects stupid shit any ways it was suppose to read "when i hit with just the driver side i have no noise, hit with passenger side a lot of noise"
I experience the same. It fells like the front driver side is solid with a lot of hydraulic absorption while the passenger side is not, while going over uneven surfaces at LOW speeds.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:08 PM
Intermediate

I experience the same. It fells like the front driver side is solid with a lot of hydraulic absorption while the passenger side is not, while going over uneven surfaces at LOW speeds.
well got it back today it was the shock so they replaced it
Old 10-24-2012, 09:53 AM
Racer

How did they determine it was the shock? Are you still experiencing any noise after they have replaced it? Are there any bulletins on this or just an isolated issue? What dealership?

Thanks.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:31 PM
Racer

3g_TL - Please provide some detailed info as to what exactly was replaced and if it has resolved the suspension noise. The last few days (maybe since its getting colder in the northeast?) I have been hearing more knocking on my right side than usual.

Thanks.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:20 PM
Racer

Just contacted Acura customer relations and made them aware of the front passenger suspension noise along with the poorly insulated trunk floor cover.

Whomever is experiencing suspension or trunk floor cover noise, please give them a call so they are aware of these issues at the corporate level so that we can possibly get a definite fix asap (1800-382-2238).

Thanks.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:52 PM
Racer

Can you please provide a detailed update. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:30 PM
Single Sailor

Originally Posted by Spirited Driver
It seems like since his problem is solved, he's no longer coming back to look for answers!
Old 10-25-2012, 04:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by atang79
It seems like since his problem is solved, he's no longer coming back to look for answers!
Hopefully he can provide some insight.

You an ILX owner? I'm from the area.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:36 PM
Single Sailor

Hopefully he can provide some insight.

You an ILX owner? I'm from the area.
I am, but technically I guess you can say my girlfriend is. I leased an ILX Hybrid with Tech package for her Tuesday. She seems to be happy with it so far.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:42 PM
Racer

I am, but technically I guess you can say my girlfriend is. I leased an ILX Hybrid with Tech package for her Tuesday. She seems to be happy with it so far.
I'm in Edgewater a lot, actually just came from the Whole Foods there. The only two ILX's I have seen on the road thus far have been both in the Whole Foods parking lot. A white one a couple of weeks ago and a girl in a black one the other day parked behind me. Any of them yours?
Old 10-25-2012, 07:34 PM
Single Sailor

I'm in Edgewater a lot, actually just came from the Whole Foods there. The only two ILX's I have seen on the road thus far have been both in the Whole Foods parking lot. A white one a couple of weeks ago and a girl in a black one the other day parked behind me. Any of them yours?
Nope, definitely not my girlfriend. She decided on a white one, but she only started driving it on Tuesday. You're right though, I haven't seen may of them on the road.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Racer

3G_Tl: Please provide us with an update whether or not the new shock they installed cleared up your front end noise/knocking.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:21 PM
Single Sailor

3G_Tl: Please provide us with an update whether or not the new shock they installed cleared up your front end noise/knocking.
Spirited Driver, I think it's pretty safe to assume that if he still had the problem, he would be here looking for answers like he did when he had the problem. If I had to guess, his problem is solved.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:51 PM
Racer

Spirited Driver, I think it's pretty safe to assume that if he still had the problem, he would be here looking for answers like he did when he had the problem. If I had to guess, his problem is solved.
I guess so. Unfortunately, it's a shame some of us are based only off of self interest.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:54 PM
Single Sailor

I guess so. Unfortunately, it's a shame some of us are based only off of self interest.
I agree! I would help you if I could, but my girlfriend's ILX doesn't make any of the sounds you guys are referring to. No strange noise at all coming from the car.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:03 PM
Racer

I agree! I would help you if I could, but my girlfriend's ILX doesn't make any of the sounds you guys are referring to. No strange noise at all coming from the car.
It's all good. Unfortunate 3G_TL was not able to further assist. I saw a white ILX earlier on George Road with temp plates still on. That yours?
Old 11-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Racer

Ladies and Gentlemen, I am VERY happy to announce some good news.

There is a God

I knew I wasn't going crazy

It appears that Acura has found the guilty culprit to the suspension/front right end noise.

As the noise has continued to get on my nerves and while knowing that something is just not right; I made another visit to my local Acura dealership about an hour ago to check if there are any bulletins or updates on this noise I have been experiencing since day 1.

Guess what, there was

It appears that the front right engine mount is the culprit.

This appears to be just a temporary fix for now. Was told the part will eventually be recalled. Your thoughts?

Check it out:

Last edited by Spirited Driver; 11-15-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:51 PM
Racer

Just contacted Acura customer relations to make them aware of this "Tech Line Summary" that is out in order for all parties to stay in the loop. I first called the customer relations department a few weeks ago. Maybe that case# provided some assistance in finding the culprit? A case manager will contact me tomorrow (as well as my local dealership) which I will then inquire about replacement part/recall procedure going forward.

Colin- What are your thoughts? Have to heard anything regarding Tech Line# BTS 121001?

Last edited by Spirited Driver; 11-15-2012 at 05:54 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ILX suspension noise