ILX Push-button start issue

Old 04-25-2014, 08:52 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ILX Push-button start issue

So, I bought a 2013 ILX 6-speed, the push button start was a problem. The car always started, but not on the first time I pushed the button. I would say on average I had to press the button twice, 10% of the time. The dealer replaced everything twice(fuses, fusebox, clutch switch, FOB's), yet nothing fixed the issue. Acura Corp gave it a try and could not correct the issue. They declared it a lemon and gave me a 2014. This car has the same issue, only it is probably happening at a 20% rate. I have been told that other owners have this issue as well. Anyone here have it or know of it?
Old 04-25-2014, 10:08 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have a 2013 2.4 also and never had issues with the pushbutton start, just be sure you have the clutch depressed fully until car starts and it starts on the first try every time
Old 04-25-2014, 10:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
i have the 2.4 and its just sensitive to the clutch and brake being in the sweet spot. I think of it as a form of theft deterence (although the screen says how to engage it correctly). It just reminds me of the killswitch on my civic. I think you just had bad luck man...
Old 04-26-2014, 12:21 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the 2.0, but to better understand your issue, is this happening every time you jump in the car, or 20% of the time? And is it when you push the button, the car tells you it doesn't detect your key? This is my case, and I'll have to take the key out of my pocket and press the button with the key to get it to start. If this isn't your case, then you can ignore my post.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

@ Rickards - if that just started happening then its the fob battery dying! get it replaced soon!
Old 04-26-2014, 08:12 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Last year, they replaced the battery and it did absolutely nothing to solve the issue. This year, they reset the signal both my keys emit to the push start button sensor to see if it'll correct the issue. They suspect my phone may be interfering with the signal the key fob sends out since I have both my keys and phone in the same pocket, but I never had this issue in the 3 years I drove my mother's BMW which also has the push start button. Also, the dealership checked both keys and their batteries were fine.

It's occurring less frequently now, so I'm tolerating it, and it's not like it's a game-breaking issue, but man it's annoying to try and reach into your pocket and having your key dry-hump the button in order for it to start.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:43 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the input everyone. I appreciate it. I have been driving a standard for 20+ years so it is not the placement of my foot on the clutch. Trust me on this one, I got 199,987 miles on the stock clutch on my old RSX. There is no error message being logged in the onboard computer either. I depress the clutch fully, push the button and will get different messages. "Move key closer to start car" or depress clutch". In the first case the key is in my right hand about an inch from the push start. in the latter, I don't move my foot, push the button again and the car starts. This happened on the '13 I bought originally and continues on the '14 that Acura replaced it with, so this is not a problem with what I am doing, but an issue with the electronic signal being sent.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Theres alot of variables people don't think about. The "signals" can be interrupted by window tint, GPS, cell phones, even aftermarket speakers or other electronics. I'm not satisfied with the sound in my car, but the techs at Acura actually recommended me not to bother. They said a lot of people nowadays get all kinds of issues with the electronics, especially once they do something aftermarket. As far as not having an issue with your mom's BMW and your phone, different frequencies for different cars, so may or may not be affected other signals. Like I said, too many variables. Like I said tho - did any of you guys having issues do the following - tint the windows, purchase aftermarket GPS, purchase aftermarket mirror with garage opener/etc, purchase aftermarket speakers, subs, amplifier, or even head unit? Theses things may be to blame. As well as even cell phone. Try starting the car without having your cell phone on you at all. Kinda harder to remove the other stuff.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by JB3stix
Thanks for the input everyone. ...I depress the clutch fully, push the button and will get different messages. "Move key closer to start car" or depress clutch". In the first case the key is in my right hand about an inch from the push start. in the latter, I don't move my foot, push the button again and the car starts. ...an issue with the electronic signal being sent.
In the original post you didn't mention the error message. At first read, I just assumed you were hitting the start button a split second before the clutch switch was interpreted by the ECU. I do it often, hitting the switch too fast.

The suggestion that it's a problem with the signal is the best guess at this point. As aomechmarine mentioned, you're probably having interference problems. If you haven't done so already, try separating the ILX key from all others on the keychain. Try leaving other RF items out of the car. Cell phones, portable navi devices etc.?
Old 04-27-2014, 12:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

dammit... I guess I'm just gonna have to make sure I check the return policy before I buy a GPS unit. This thread just reminded me of possible interference issues...
Old 04-28-2014, 11:15 AM
Cruisin'

Colin, I tried the removing of all other keys, no joy. As we now live in a technology filled world, I am like the majority and cannot leave my phone at home(it is the only phone I have). Acura has had FOB technology since 2007 I believe, so outside rf interfering should not be an issue anymore.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:05 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a 2014 ILX Premium and recently the dash information screen has displayed the message, "weak batteries, replace". I replaced the batteries on both key fobs yet the message continues to pop up intermittently. Any ideas? Has this problem occurred to anyone else and was there a fix? Its obviously not the batteries.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:01 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kiwi2000
I have a 2014 ILX Premium and recently the dash information screen has displayed the message, "weak batteries, replace". I replaced the batteries on both key fobs yet the message continues to pop up intermittently. Any ideas? Has this problem occurred to anyone else and was there a fix? Its obviously not the batteries.
I'm having the same issue with my 2013 ILX Premium with the 5AT. It does not occur every time I get in to crank it. I'd say it happens about 50% of the time I hop in and attempt to crank it. I get two error messages: I get the "Replace Fob Battery" message or I get the "Move Fob Closer to Start Button" message. I replaced the battery twice within a year, just to be sure it wasn't the battery. I think there is a short in my fob. If I remove the fob from my pocket and smack it against my leg, the car will sometimes start and the error message will disappear. I know that I need a new fob, but they are expensive. I noticed some on eBay for less than the Acura dealer, but I have heard that Acura will not program a fob that was not purchased from them. It makes sense; they cannot guarantee a product that they don't sell. I remember the old days, when you could program a remote through a sequence of events (i.e. switching it on and off so many times, locking the door, etc) in the car. I don't think the fobs are that easy; I think you need a diagnostics tool. Does anyone know if you can program a fob without a diagnostics scanner?
Old 01-18-2017, 05:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by hughbroome2
I'm having the same issue with my 2013 ILX Premium with the 5AT. It does not occur every time I get in to crank it. I'd say it happens about 50% of the time I hop in and attempt to crank it. I get two error messages: I get the "Replace Fob Battery" message or I get the "Move Fob Closer to Start Button" message. I replaced the battery twice within a year, just to be sure it wasn't the battery. I think there is a short in my fob. If I remove the fob from my pocket and smack it against my leg, the car will sometimes start and the error message will disappear. I know that I need a new fob, but they are expensive. I noticed some on eBay for less than the Acura dealer, but I have heard that Acura will not program a fob that was not purchased from them. It makes sense; they cannot guarantee a product that they don't sell. I remember the old days, when you could program a remote through a sequence of events (i.e. switching it on and off so many times, locking the door, etc) in the car. I don't think the fobs are that easy; I think you need a diagnostics tool. Does anyone know if you can program a fob without a diagnostics scanner?
This might be a warranty issue. If the batteries are fresh and this problem is still happening, I would think the fob itself might be broken or defective. My 11 year old RL has keyless start and that fob works perfectly every time.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:43 PM
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 2014 Acura ILX with the same symptoms, but mine does make a clicking noise under the hood. For the past several months, sometimes it will start on the first push, sometimes we have left it behind because it wouldn't start, only to go back later and it starts right up.
Old 12-23-2019, 02:45 PM
1st Gear

Same here. Any luck figuring out the cause?