ILX 2015 2.4 vs ILX 2016

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 08:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
:s pit:
BWAHAHAHAHAHA Dude - are you SERIOUS? More TLX then Civic? DUDE - I WORK for Honda. YOU CLEARLY dealt with a great salesman and you ate up all his bullshit bro! Sorry, but - NO.

1st off, Civic is a great car. BUT, if you wanted a TLX, then you should have got one. That car is 2 sizes bigger. That car offers WAY more. You are crazy if you think the 2016 ILX is that much better then the 2013-15. LOL!! Go post that in the TLX forum so they can all laugh at your insanity. They'll call your car a Civic all day, because IT IS. Nothing wrong with that. No need to get butthurt and try to hate on the pre-model change. IT'S THE SAME CAR. Thicker glass and more sound dampening material makes this car NOT a civic anymore? RIGHT... Are you going to load your car up with stickers? they add 5 HP each...

DUH - there are some improvements. They HAVE to justify the price increases and its 3 years later. OF COURSE they update the tech. STILL A CIVIC FRAME.

I got a 6 spd Manual. I DON'T WANT any of the new tech stuff. AT ALL. I do it all from my yearly updated phone. In 3 years, I'll have upgraded my "tech package" 3 times, You'll still have the same one. I'm a manual guy. How is NO MANUAL offered an improvement to ME? PFFFT. Look man, like I told you, its cool you like your car, duh. But don't come in here acting like your car is AMAZINGLY different, IT'S NOT! LOL. If this model fits your wants and needs, then great. Like I said, Luda's 23 year old car fits his needs and the comments I posted even show a lot of people like his Legend more then the current ILX. OH WELL. Deal with it, man.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:38 PM
1LX
Cruisin'

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by aomechmarine
BWAHAHAHAHAHA Dude - are you SERIOUS? More TLX then Civic? DUDE - I WORK for Honda. YOU CLEARLY dealt with a great salesman and you ate up all his bullshit bro! Sorry, but - NO.

1st off, Civic is a great car. BUT, if you wanted a TLX, then you should have got one. That car is 2 sizes bigger. That car offers WAY more. You are crazy if you think the 2016 ILX is that much better then the 2013-15. LOL!! Go post that in the TLX forum so they can all laugh at your insanity. They'll call your car a Civic all day, because IT IS. Nothing wrong with that. No need to get butthurt and try to hate on the pre-model change. IT'S THE SAME CAR. Thicker glass and more sound dampening material makes this car NOT a civic anymore? RIGHT... Are you going to load your car up with stickers? they add 5 HP each...

DUH - there are some improvements. They HAVE to justify the price increases and its 3 years later. OF COURSE they update the tech. STILL A CIVIC FRAME.

I got a 6 spd Manual. I DON'T WANT any of the new tech stuff. AT ALL. I do it all from my yearly updated phone. In 3 years, I'll have upgraded my "tech package" 3 times, You'll still have the same one. I'm a manual guy. How is NO MANUAL offered an improvement to ME? PFFFT. Look man, like I told you, its cool you like your car, duh. But don't come in here acting like your car is AMAZINGLY different, IT'S NOT! LOL. If this model fits your wants and needs, then great. Like I said, Luda's 23 year old car fits his needs and the comments I posted even show a lot of people like his Legend more then the current ILX. OH WELL. Deal with it, man.
I work for Honda too. At the plant where these are made. What do you do for Honda exactly? I'm curious.

Last edited by 1LX; 11-05-2015 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Salesman - I got my "grown up" SI Civic (AKA the ILX 6 spd manual) for $23,000 out the door. That's about $2500 cheaper then MSRP for the 4 door SI! If I wanted a TLX, I would have bought one. I just wanted a grown up version of an SI CIVIC. That's it. You are DELUSIONAL if you think the facelift makes this car "closer to TLX".

Civic's have Honda Lane Watch Technology DOES YOUR ILX? NOPE. Civic SI has 205 HP compared to your 201. SI is stick shift.

Guess what? I HAVE THE SAME 2.4 MOTOR. And mine is stick shift for ACTUAL fun. K24 is a K24, is a K24. They all share and interchange parts.

I sell Civic Ex's to people and they end up with $550 in payments, and I'm not even paying $400 for my ILX. If I couldn't have gotten the ILX for so cheap, I would have gone Civic SI all day.

As far as reinforced chassis and sound dampening goes, it's a newer year model car, as I've said, small improvements are to be expected. Still the same car man. Stop dreaming.

Last edited by aomechmarine; 11-06-2015 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:25 AM
1LX
Cruisin'

Salesman - I got my "grown up" SI Civic (AKA the ILX 6 spd manual) for $23,000 out the door. That's about $2500 cheaper then MSRP for the 4 door SI! If I wanted a TLX, I would have bought one. I just wanted a grown up version of an SI CIVIC. That's it. You are DELUSIONAL if you think the facelift makes this car "closer to TLX".

Civic's have Honda Lane Watch Technology DOES YOUR ILX? NOPE. Civic SI has 205 HP compared to your 201. SI is stick shift.

Guess what? I HAVE THE SAME 2.4 MOTOR. And mine is stick shift for ACTUAL fun. K24 is a K24, is a K24. They all share and interchange parts.

I sell Civic Ex's to people and they end up with $550 in payments, and I'm not even paying $400 for my ILX. If I couldn't have gotten the ILX for so cheap, I would have gone Civic SI all day.

As far as reinforced chassis and sound dampening goes, it's a newer year model car, as I've said, small improvements are to be expected. Still the same car man. Stop dreaming.
I'm an engineer here. I see these cars and their components on levels you are not capable of.

Keep selling them though.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1LX:
TacoBello (11-13-2015), The Dark Knight (11-26-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 09:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 1LX
I'm an engineer here. I see these cars and their components on levels you are not capable of.

Then you should have used that engineer money to get a TLX cheap ass LOL

Or really, get a Honda Accord Touring. Goes toe to toe with TLX.

And the touring has that Honda Lane watch You're still missing in Acura. Why didn't you throw that in there Engineer?
YOU HAD ONE JOB
Old 11-06-2015, 09:44 AM
1LX
Cruisin'

Then you should have used that engineer money to get a TLX cheap ass LOL

Or really, get a Honda Accord Touring. Goes toe to toe with TLX.

And the touring has that Honda Lane watch You're still missing in Acura. Why didn't you throw that in there Engineer?
YOU HAD ONE JOB
I don't need lane watch. I have eyes.

I don't need a big car.

You are awfully confident for how little you know. You suit your job well.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1LX:
TacoBello (11-13-2015), The Dark Knight (11-26-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 10:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 1LX
I don't need lane watch. I have eyes.

I don't need a big car.

You are awfully confident for how little you know. You suit your job well.
I know you probably paid over 30k for a Civic and someone like me made a fat commission!

And other people pay $19k for a Civic SE and it comes with Honda Lane Watch!
Old 11-09-2015, 07:01 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
correct, read facts before.

Review: 2016 Acura ILX (With Video) - The Truth About Cars

Specifications as tested

0-30: 2.4 Seconds

0-60: 6.2 Seconds
1/4 Mile: 14.8 @ 95 MPH
Interior sound level: 72db @ 50 MPH
Average observed fuel economy: 27.1 MPH over 981 miles
Old 11-09-2015, 08:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by haidarh

Specifications as tested

Not sure who you are saying is correct. I will admit that many aspects are nicer. It is 3 years later, they need to make it a bit nicer to keep selling a certain volume amount without investing WAY more money on a totally new redesign.

If you read the critiques in that story/review, they remain the same. Chinny/pointy front end /beak front that many consider ugly.

$32,900 Technology package - and still NO Honda Lane Watch Tech. A $21,000 (MSRP, I've seen them go for as low as $19,000) Civic SE, DOES have it.

Like I keep saying, I paid $23,000 out the door for my 6spd ILX. Great price, I'm happy. If I was going to spend that much back then, I would have gotten a V6 TSX wth everything on it. NO WAY would I spend what people are spending now for the 2016 ILX. Go Accord, Go TLX for those type of prices.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:01 PM
Instructor

Not sure who you are saying is correct. I will admit that many aspects are nicer. It is 3 years later, they need to make it a bit nicer to keep selling a certain volume amount without investing WAY more money on a totally new redesign.

If you read the critiques in that story/review, they remain the same. Chinny/pointy front end /beak front that many consider ugly.

$32,900 Technology package - and still NO Honda Lane Watch Tech. A $21,000 (MSRP, I've seen them go for as low as $19,000) Civic SE, DOES have it.

Like I keep saying, I paid $23,000 out the door for my 6spd ILX. Great price, I'm happy. If I was going to spend that much back then, I would have gotten a V6 TSX wth everything on it. NO WAY would I spend what people are spending now for the 2016 ILX. Go Accord, Go TLX for those type of prices.
I completely understand your point of view, I'm not here to compete, we are here to help and share information. I paid almost 28k and I waneed to admit my mistake. The loaner i got was a TLX advance, and I loved the car, just few things made my life/driving great. Small things, there was no gas cap anymore yay. The advance on TLX on 405 in LA imagine stop and go and the car doing this for u, while my 3 years old wants cheese crackers, carrots wipes etc.
In your case u may not need this, my"correct was based on the fact a lot of enhancements were added to then ilx 2016 though for a price. And since August till now I'm willing to trade my car for a TLX advance so I enjoy technology and safety at the same time.
BTW I own a 2007 335i twin turbo upgraded, 0-60 4.2 seconds with few modes. So speed I hit 164mph On I5.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

I completely understand your point of view, I'm not here to compete, we are here to help and share information. I paid almost 28k and I waneed to admit my mistake. The loaner i got was a TLX advance, and I loved the car, just few things made my life/driving great. Small things, there was no gas cap anymore yay. The advance on TLX on 405 in LA imagine stop and go and the car doing this for u, while my 3 years old wants cheese crackers, carrots wipes etc.
In your case u may not need this, my"correct was based on the fact a lot of enhancements were added to then ilx 2016 though for a price. And since August till now I'm willing to trade my car for a TLX advance so I enjoy technology and safety at the same time.
BTW I own a 2007 335i twin turbo upgraded, 0-60 4.2 seconds with few modes. So speed I hit 164mph On I5.
Yea man, get the TLX. I am a single guy who wanted an affordable but fun stick shift car with entry level luxury touches, and this car nailed it. If I had kids, I wouldn't even be looking at a car this small. I'm just above average height, but I'm a military man, I sit up very straight. I'm not joking, sometimes the ILX makes me kind of slouch because of the low ceiling. My hair almost touches the headliner! I have friends that are pretty tall, they hate my car. Mostly I don't care too much about that, because if its a longer drive, then it's usually only me and a friend or a girl riding in the front passenger seat. And my buddies just recline the seat and are totally comfortable. Girls are usually short, so they are also comfortable. Every once in a while I'll have a couple buddies in the back seat, that's why I got a 4 door car instead of a sporty coupe. I have no real issues or dislikes about the car other then I wish the interior was bigger. But If I had found a nice stick shift TSX back when i bought this car, that's what I'd be driving now. But then I'd have a little bit more problems with parking a slightly bigger car at work, school and home where all 3 have tight parking. Can't win everything.

One time some girl came on here asking about the ILX and I told her to get an Accord too, especially because she had small kids. I wouldn't want to deal with a smaller backseat and lower ceiling if I have worry about booster seats. The Accord or the TLX will be better for you and your kids.

And that BMW sounds like fun.

Last edited by aomechmarine; 11-09-2015 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:58 AM
Rae Ray

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

Specifications as tested

This guy Alex on autos does the best 16 ilx review ive seen so far and ive seen lots of reviews on youtube. He covers every aspec there is to know.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:10 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 71 Posts
0-60 in 6.2 is not that bad, faster/comparable to BMW's in the 328i range (mainly because they are much heavier); and defiantly quicker then the 320i or 318i.

If you pre-load the torq converter with say 1500rpm before letting off the brake, it greatly helps the launch of the '16ILX, and avoids the lag of spinning the motor up from idle.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:18 PM
1LX
Cruisin'

It's a heck of a lot faster than my 1.8L AT Civic was. Plenty of grunt to get me around people in traffic, etc. Waiting for someone to make a turbo for it (or base TLX) so I can play when it's paid off in 2019..
Old 11-13-2015, 04:26 PM
Racer

Yeah I'd love to get a re-worked CT-Engineering super charger on the new ILX's 2.4L

Now that would be a fun car, bring that power figure up closer to 300hp...
Old 11-13-2015, 05:18 PM
Instructor

Thanmx

[QUOTE=Thmanx;15610992]Yeah I'd love to get a re-worked CT-Engineering super charger on the new ILX's 2.4L

Now that would be a fun car, bring that power figure up closer to 300hp...
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Man im not sure if you got my reply to modifications on your car. first i want to congratulate you on doing nice simple clean mods.

My question to you, if I'm looking for a firmer suspension, should I replace both springs and shocks? or just replace shocks. for instance: i had my older car to get firmer suspension, i replaced my old shocks with bilstein gas shocks since the height of the car is fine. and also can you tell exactly what brand of roll bars did u get and how is your opinion of it after driving for some time now.
Keep in mind i'm not to race or anything close to that matter. just better handling like a bimmer.
Thanks in advance
Old 11-13-2015, 09:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

How much are you willing to spend?
Old 11-13-2015, 09:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by 1LX

So what exactly do you do for Honda? Im curious to know what you do and what makes your input mean more than a salesman.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:11 PM
Instructor

How much are you willing to spend?
---------------------------------
For a good suspension let's say
Old 11-13-2015, 11:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Sorry - how much? Can suggest different things based on price point.

I'm not 100% sure what you are describing that you want to improve. BUT here are some possible suggestions.

You can get coilovers with stiff spring rates, specific to 2014 and up Civic SI that should fit. They will run anywhere from $800 to maybe $3000-ish if you go with a really expensive brand.

OR, you can try some really stiff springs specific to 2014 and up Civc SI, that have an inch or 1.5 drop, so that its not way lower since that is not why you are trying to lower it.

From what I think you are describing, these next suggestions will probably help less, but may still help.
Mostly because this should help more with body roll (more so turning or side to side motion)...But i think what you are describing is more front to back or up and down type of motion...

You can add in wheel spacers to widen out the stock wheels track path.

You can upgrade tires.

You can get aftermarket wheels that are wider with upgraded tires.

You can get a rear sway bar and front sway bar

You can get front and rear lower tie bars.

Last edited by aomechmarine; 11-13-2015 at 11:14 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:12 PM
Instructor

Sorry - how much? Can suggest different things based on price point.
Please do..I did say less or equal to 1000 but please go ahead.
I'm not.sure why it did post probably because i.used the less sign.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Ok for $1000 probably I would say coilovers

OR

Springs - ($150-$300ish)

Wheel Spacers - ($200-$300)

Rear sway bar - ($200-300)

Front and rear lower tie bar - ($200)

and then maybe the front sway bar to finish it off ($300)

But then you also have to factor in labor costs, unless you are going to do it all yourself or with friends. If you do all the bottom listed ones at the same time, it's not as bad on labor.

Last edited by aomechmarine; 11-14-2015 at 12:19 AM.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

And if you get coilovers, then make sure you get stiff spring rates. And then you won't have to lower it too much to get the effect you want.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Last thing. You probably need an alignment too, after all that.

And the Front lower tie bar will also have to be specific to 2014+ Civic SI to fit a 2016 ILX

Last edited by aomechmarine; 11-14-2015 at 01:00 AM.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:42 AM
Instructor

Last thing. You probably need an alignment too, after all that.

And the Front lower tie bar will also have to be specific to 2014+ Civic SI to fit a 2016 ILX
Greate Advice but I'm not a big fan of coilovers. I like ur Idea better eipach Springs and what do u recommend for sway bars. As of now the car should have 19 front and 15 back. Is there a brand u recommend and what thickness. If I put spacers and the springs will lower the car about 1.2 inch will i still have clearance or the tires will rub ?
I like to do these projects on my own.
I do appreciate ur input
Old 11-14-2015, 05:55 PM
Racer

I went with the eibach swaybar kits. Haven't put the front one in yet (have to drop subframe) but the rear was a huge improvement over stock. Helped keep the rear much more in line during turns and reduced understeer. The Si's have a slightly larger one then the eibach kit has (20mm Si vs 19mm eibach), so if you wanted a bit more you could get that bar + bushings and it should fit.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
One thing I like about 16 compared to 13-15 ILX is fuel economy. I've been averaging 33.5 MPG (With average speed of 28 MPH) overall since I got 16 ILX in July. 13 2.0 that I had, averaged 32.2 MPG over 37,000 miles.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Thmanx
I went with the eibach swaybar kits. Haven't put the front one in yet (have to drop subframe) but the rear was a huge improvement over stock. Helped keep the rear much more in line during turns and reduced understeer. The Si's have a slightly larger one then the eibach kit has (20mm Si vs 19mm eibach), so if you wanted a bit more you could get that bar + bushings and it should fit.

Did u get the eibach Springs as well or just the swaybar kit.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:05 AM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by usdmJON
So what exactly do you do for Honda? Im curious to know what you do and what makes your input mean more than a salesman.
he's an engineer ...
Old 11-15-2015, 10:09 AM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You don't work for Honda. You work for a company that sells Honda products.
The following users liked this post:
The Dark Knight (11-26-2015)
Old 11-15-2015, 10:10 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by johnrh
he's an engineer ...
Sweet, I'm a software engineer.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:02 PM
Racer

Did u get the eibach Springs as well or just the swaybar kit.
no springs, didn't want to compromise the ride height and damage my A-Spec Aero kit lol.

i would like a firmer ride though, at least to counter act body roll. Though I'm a little hesitant to replace the '16 OEM shocks (since apparently they are -fancy- dual mode shocks for both comfort and handling)

Perhaps some REAL tires is all the car needs to really sing (as well as sway bars, definitely the sway bars)
Old 11-15-2015, 05:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Thmanx
no springs, didn't want to compromise the ride height and damage my A-Spec Aero kit lol.

i would like a firmer ride though, at least to counter act body roll. Though I'm a little hesitant to replace the '16 OEM shocks (since apparently they are -fancy- dual mode shocks for both comfort and handling)

Perhaps some REAL tires is all the car needs to really sing (as well as sway bars, definitely the sway bars)

Sorry u only replaced the swaybar and the car drives better ? Better handling? Can u tell the difference ?
And for the front swaybar u have to drop the subframe ??
Old 11-15-2015, 07:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by johnrh
he's an engineer ...
Yeah thats extraordinarily vague for the claim hes making.

Maybe he went to school for aerodynamics. Maybe mechanical engineering. Hell he could have designed a brochure for the tlx release. I want to know what his title is since we know aomechs.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:22 PM
Racer

The stiffer rear sway bar helps keep the rear of the car in line during turns. Limiting rear body roll. Also improves steering feeling giving a more nutral feel to the car (instead of feeling front heavy and plowing through a turn)

I feel I could benefit from more rear stiffness though. But that's because I'm used to my 00 Civic sedan with a 24mm ASR rear bar/brace setup. (Stock has no rear sway, and Si's only had a 13mm toothpick). I'm used to my civic having rotation in the rear axle at the limit.

And yeah in order to R&R a front sway you need a lift and supports to lower the subframe for clearance.

Last edited by Thmanx; 11-15-2015 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:52 AM
1LX
Cruisin'

For those who are wondering:

Engineering Staff - Electrical Engineer
Old 11-16-2015, 08:21 AM
1LX
Cruisin'

Also I bet aomech and I were just having equally garbage days and were more inclined to bitch at strangers on the internet that day. I've seen his posts in other threads and he seems like a good dude.