ILX 2.4 clutch pedal clicking noise

Old 02-03-2013, 12:36 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ILX 2.4 clutch pedal clicking noise

When I depress the clutch pedal I hear a clicking noise inside the vehicle. Does anyone else hear this? Is it normal?
I have 1200 miles on car, don't think I have noticed it before, maybe it was there and I just couldn't hear with the radio on. You have to turn off radio to hear it. Can someone try this and see if they hear the clutch click noise.
thanks.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:00 PM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
its normal. i've heard this since day one, sitting inside the ILX inside the showroom at the dealership. its normal in all manual civics too.. another way you can tell that the ILX is one acura that hasn't been sound insulated enough from factory.

it doesn't bug me though, i got used to it.. if anyone had an older subaru, they can all tell you about the clutch pedal squeak. I like clinks better than high pitched squeaks.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:01 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK thanks for verifying.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:19 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronnn
its normal. i've heard this since day one, sitting inside the ILX inside the showroom at the dealership. its normal in all manual civics too.. another way you can tell that the ILX is one acura that hasn't been sound insulated enough from factory.

it doesn't bug me though, i got used to it.. if anyone had an older subaru, they can all tell you about the clutch pedal squeak. I like clinks better than high pitched squeaks.
Aaroon - I think what he may be referring to is something totally different than our daily clicking of the clutch. I experienced this abnormal type of clicking myself for the first time last week. It was VERY cold out. Typically, I hear a slight clicking every day but what I was hearing that day was something totally different. It was like a very loud ding at the release point of the clutch. Guessing it was so cold out that something was not releasing correctly resulting in a ding type noise.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:50 AM
Drifting

Hill assist.

when you're on a slight incline and you let off your brakes.. you'll feel a little click, that's when it engages. when you release your clutch and get on gas to get going, you'll hear the hill assist letting off (another spring loaded ding/click sound that you can actually feel under your feet) as you start moving. it's another thing i've been playing around with.
I'm not a fan of the hill assist either.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:52 AM
Drifting

also, on below freezing days, it seems like the clicking noises are much more pronounced and you can feel it through the cabin footwell area.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 127 Likes on 92 Posts
I haven't heard any clicks. Even on hills... hrmm.. I'll listen harder I guess.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 248 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Trentimus
I haven't heard any clicks. Even on hills... hrmm.. I'll listen harder I guess.
I haven't heard any clicks and I am not going to listen harder.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:44 PM
Drifting

i try to think I have a great car. I like not noticing flaws with cars. it helps me enjoy my car better and nit-picking only draws irritation/frustration. It's not a perfect car and we're a small bunch of enthusiasts that pick up these cars.. at least we can still enjoy our cars and not be a "me-too" car.

Some people think I was stupid to buy a civic si sedan with some leather seats for almost 30k, but hey, could be worse. I could have spent 5-8k more on a Mugen Si......
Old 02-04-2013, 02:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

i try to think I have a great car. I like not noticing flaws with cars. it helps me enjoy my car better and nit-picking only draws irritation/frustration. It's not a perfect car and we're a small bunch of enthusiasts that pick up these cars.. at least we can still enjoy our cars and not be a "me-too" car.

Some people think I was stupid to buy a civic si sedan with some leather seats for almost 30k, but hey, could be worse. I could have spent 5-8k more on a Mugen Si......
Trust me.. the only people who think the ILX is a Civic are snobs who know the ILX is based on the Civic Platform..
Your car not only looks infinite times better than any Civic, it has 100 times the interior of even the "upgraded" 2013. I don't think you made a silly decision. Most luxuries are upgraded counterparts to a successful-cheaper platform..

And, my girlfriend.. not big into cars but she is very particular about how a car looks. And she flat out says that nothing of my car reminds her of the Civic, which she hates, except the size and minor details like the shifter.

Let's not get distracted by snobby reviews that instantly have a bad perspective of the ILX because it's based on the Civic. They didn't call the 1st TSX a dolled up Civic, just like they don't call and A4 a dolled up Passat.

I like my car, I do think it needs an enthusiast's love though. Acura probably has a whole gang of engineers thinking, "but we could of..."... and with the reviews that came out the Marketing division is probably thinking "but we should of...listened to the engineering department"

My 2cents. Get your "click" sound checked out. I don't have it.

**I'll also point out that I had a 1st year CU2 TSX and it had a SLEW of TSBs and recalls out by 2012 (you can go Google it and see for yourself).. I may have displayed my frustrations throughout the forum on several occasions but I firmly believe Acura/Honda will do right by their customers.. even if it takes them a while to get that ball rolling.

Last edited by Trentimus; 02-04-2013 at 02:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
d1sturb3d119 (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 03:10 PM
Drifting

same here though.

My dad immediately called me out on that civic statement. He asked why I bought a civic for nearly double the cost. Then he drove it and retracted his statement. Its just all the negative press everywhere. he sees an article that states "ILX - Civic based platform..." and he reads "expensive civic".

My gf actually liked the car after our test drive at the dealership as well. And she grew up driving or driven in Benz's and BMWs all her life. I told her its based and the Civic and she immediately glared at me. She thought I was making fun of her (like I usually do when I point out her lack of car knowledge).
Old 02-04-2013, 03:13 PM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
Having had much exposure to the civic si's of present and yore, I feel as though the ILX is a decent bang for the buck and an all-in-all better car. Suspension tuning and lsd aside, the ILX features/has:
- Decent leather seats that are more comfortable than the 2012 Si's seats
- Heated front seats
- push button start
- keyless entry, I walk to my car door and the doors unlock
- Dual zone climate control with digital temperature readout
- Auto-dimming rearview
- Much better outward visability
- No cheap split front passenger and driver window
- HIDs
- Power driver's seat
- Better lease rates than the si -- if you leased a 2.4, you actually pay less than leasing an si
- Exclusivity and brand prestige -- Acura > Honda in most people's minds
The following users liked this post:
4cruizn (02-05-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 03:23 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by spdandpwr
Having had much exposure to the civic si's of present and yore, I feel as though the ILX is a decent bang for the buck and an all-in-all better car. Suspension tuning and lsd aside, the ILX features/has:
- Heated front seats
- push button start
- Auto-dimming rearview
- HIDs
- Power driver's seat
- Better lease rates than the si -- if you leased a 2.4, you actually pay less than leasing an si
From this perspective, I could see why Honda/Acura felt the ILX felt justified for their pricing on this car compared to the civic. That aside, I don't mind a lot of the typical complaints most consumers seem to be having with this car. Just like you said, the only real downfall right now is the floaty and somewhat annoying suspension. if they were able to incorporate the driving/road feel/handling of the TSX, i'd be completely satisfied with the car.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

The ILX with the firm feeling of the TSX??? The car makes the impact that Acura hoped to make.. because then t becomes a sporty sedan.. right now it just looks like one. I mean lets be real the front of the ILX screams aggression. - I am hoping with the addition of a coil over setup, front/rear sway bars and better tires I will get the desired feel/handling I want.

Last edited by Trentimus; 02-04-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:26 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by spdandpwr
- Heated front seats
- push button start
- Auto-dimming rearview
- HIDs
- Power driver's seat
I concur with spdandpwr. I drove a 2008 Civic Si, and I absolutely loved that car (73k miles before it was diagnosed with a fatal case of tree poisoning). People accused me of over paying for a civic back in 08 until I took them for a drive, and they felt the differences in both speed, handling, and fun factor. Fast forward to 2013, and I am hearing the same arguments being made by people that haven't driven the car. We may disagree on the suspension (bad NJ roads no longer leave my backside numb, which my Si did), but I agree that the ILX 2.4 is a worthy step up from the Si.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:37 PM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
From this perspective, I could see why Honda/Acura felt the ILX felt justified for their pricing on this car compared to the civic. That aside, I don't mind a lot of the typical complaints most consumers seem to be having with this car. Just like you said, the only real downfall right now is the floaty and somewhat annoying suspension. if they were able to incorporate the driving/road feel/handling of the TSX, i'd be completely satisfied with the car.
That's funny that you say that...I too felt like the 2012 tsx (important caveat as the 2009 / 2010 had loose steering) was more composed and fun to drive from a handling pov.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:39 PM
Drifting

where in jersey are you from?

I drive in Jersey City all day long.. even with the craters, I won't mind for a stiffer ride. But I'm also used to driving my subaru with monotube, inverse strut coilover suspension, so this car feels like a boat.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:27 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
where in jersey are you from?

I drive in Jersey City all day long.. even with the craters, I won't mind for a stiffer ride. But I'm also used to driving my subaru with monotube, inverse strut coilover suspension, so this car feels like a boat.
I live in Toms River(central NJ). You still feel the craters on the road, but I don't feel the minor bumps anymore. I think that is worth the slight boaty feeling. The suspension is definitely not as solid as my si was, but I think the trade off is acceptable. But I am getting soft in my old age.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:47 AM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by marktl2
When I depress the clutch pedal I hear a clicking noise inside the vehicle. Does anyone else hear this? Is it normal?
I have 1200 miles on car, don't think I have noticed it before, maybe it was there and I just couldn't hear with the radio on. You have to turn off radio to hear it. Can someone try this and see if they hear the clutch click noise.
thanks.
Get used to it, Honda/Acura clutch noises has been prevalent for years now. You can google search and you'll see it in Honda and Acura forums.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

I just noticed it.. it barely clicks.. it's quieter than my foot actually hitting the pedal.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:29 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back to the grinding noise

I've had my ILX for 3 years now and never heard a noise when pressing/depressing the clutch. However, I started hearing a squeaking noise coming from outside the car when I disengage the clutch on first gear only, usually when uphill. It doesn't happen all the time, but it's becoming for frequent. Any thoughts on that??
Old 12-21-2016, 02:25 PM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by piguo1
I've had my ILX for 3 years now and never heard a noise when pressing/depressing the clutch. However, I started hearing a squeaking noise coming from outside the car when I disengage the clutch on first gear only, usually when uphill. It doesn't happen all the time, but it's becoming for frequent. Any thoughts on that??
It's nothing to worry about, if the noise bothers you there is a DIY on how to temporarily fix the issue. If you google Honda Clutch or Acura Clutch noises then you will have an abundance of info. The clutch master cylinder noises have been doing this since 2004 I believe.