How to reduce roadnoise?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 03:21 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How to reduce roadnoise?

Most people who read my previous post must think I HATE this car. However, its more like I thought I married a hot wife who isn't trying to go for my money but instead she has some personality issue and her beauty is mostly make-up. So now I am married to her, might as well love her !

Seriously though, the biggest problem I have is the road noise. I just went down to the States to Tulalip because it was my birthday and on the way I felt the car sounded like a rocket (not in a good way). Does anyone have the same problem as me? I mean, this car sounded almost louder then my 1998 Toyota Corolla. I don't think that is normal is it? Someone mentioned a change of tires but I highly doubt it will help. Speaking of tires, the suspension is kinda rough. If I go over any uneven surface it would make such a loud sound and the ride would go up and down as if I am driving an SUV.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:27 AM
HE>i

Received 253 Likes on 221 Posts
I used Mass Loaded Vinyl(MLV) under my carpets and in my doors. Really helped me with road noise. I used sound deadner showdown products that can be found HERE.

I used the Closed Cell Foam (CCF) as a decoupling barrier between the MLV and the sheet metal(sandwiched it in the middle).

Really was an easy install and worth it to me. Good luck OP
Old 11-08-2012, 07:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 248 Likes on 229 Posts
I haven't noticed all of this road noise you are speaking about even with snow tires on and driving in the rain. With regard to the rough ride have you checked your tire pressure?

Oh and I am coming from a ZDX not a Corolla.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:06 AM

Received 5,297 Likes on 3,631 Posts
I didn't notice any excessive road noise when I test drove one.

Turn up the radio?
Old 11-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
Maybe he has exquisitely sensitive hearing?

http://www.raamaudio.com/

http://store.secondskinaudio.com/bra...ond-skin-audio

For more reading:
http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-int...d-noise-2.html
Old 11-09-2012, 10:25 AM
JvB
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unfortunately road noise is one of those subjective things for most people, and you really get used to lower levels of noise quickly. My last 2 cars were a mazda 3 and a 350z . . . this thing is whisper quiet by comparison to those 2 cars.

Tires make a huge difference. I have been running my tires at 30psi (before the winters went on) because i found the ride to be squirelly and overly harsh on tar strips and such at 33psi. The stock michelins on this car are complete crap . . . I find the car rides better, steering feel improved and noise went down when I switched to my winter tires (Blizzak WS70). Since when did a winter tire ride better than an all season????
Old 11-12-2012, 05:52 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JvB
Unfortunately road noise is one of those subjective things for most people, and you really get used to lower levels of noise quickly. My last 2 cars were a mazda 3 and a 350z . . . this thing is whisper quiet by comparison to those 2 cars.

Tires make a huge difference. I have been running my tires at 30psi (before the winters went on) because i found the ride to be squirelly and overly harsh on tar strips and such at 33psi. The stock michelins on this car are complete crap . . . I find the car rides better, steering feel improved and noise went down when I switched to my winter tires (Blizzak WS70). Since when did a winter tire ride better than an all season????
I think you got this BANG on. My friend's Passat is dead quiet and I have been in a Lexus and Benz before so thats probably why.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:15 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by deathknight777
I think you got this BANG on. My friend's Passat is dead quiet and I have been in a Lexus and Benz before so thats probably why.
Coming from a 2005 Accord (which i never thought was TOO loud), the 6MT ILX i just picked up is pretty quiet from a road noise perspective. The engine note is much more pronounced though. I noticed that when sitting in the back of the car with my wife driving, under load at lower RPMs, the engine note can be a bit "boomy" if that makes sense. If i had one complaint so far it would be that i wish the exhaust note was a tad quieter/less pronounced. But so far I love the car.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:01 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by pabarile
Coming from a 2005 Accord (which i never thought was TOO loud), the 6MT ILX i just picked up is pretty quiet from a road noise perspective. The engine note is much more pronounced though. I noticed that when sitting in the back of the car with my wife driving, under load at lower RPMs, the engine note can be a bit "boomy" if that makes sense. If i had one complaint so far it would be that i wish the exhaust note was a tad quieter/less pronounced. But so far I love the car.
That is really weird. Well, I am the driver so maybe I don't notice it. The engine note is the least of my worries. Just on any surface that isnt buttery smooth, if my ILX goes over 15mph the noise would start to pick up. I tried the highway and boy is it noisy. I am very new to cars interms of technology so I have no idea have to reduce or install things to get rid of the noise. I might try to lower the tire pressure to 32 or 31 just to see how that goes.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

That is really weird. Well, I am the driver so maybe I don't notice it. The engine note is the least of my worries. Just on any surface that isnt buttery smooth, if my ILX goes over 15mph the noise would start to pick up. I tried the highway and boy is it noisy. I am very new to cars interms of technology so I have no idea have to reduce or install things to get rid of the noise. I might try to lower the tire pressure to 32 or 31 just to see how that goes.
What is your tire pressure at? The recommended air pressure is 32.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:06 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by terdonal
What is your tire pressure at? The recommended air pressure is 32.
To be honest... I have no idea ! How do you check? I only remember my dad using some stick to check it.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:12 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Oh, I think that's because you have the 2.0 model, correct? The engine note is more pronounced in the 2.4 model. It could just be your perception, but, as terdonal alluded to, if your tire pressure is high that will make the road noise more pronounced.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

To be honest... I have no idea ! How do you check? I only remember my dad using some stick to check it.
Buy a tire pressure gauge or you could buy a portable tire compressor that has a gauge in it. I have both and carry the compressor in the trunk just in case I get a slow leak so that I can keep air in the tire until I get to a tire repair facility. It also allows you to adjust your tire pressure yourself if you wish to try different inflation values that may change how the tires react with the road and the vehicle.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All,

this is a great little car but the road noise on highways is quite annoying. I informed my dealer and suggests that i bring it for examination. Will keep you posted.

I need you help on another matter. I sold wife's 2008 TSX for the ILX (which she loves), would the 16 in steel wheels fit on the ILX. Thanks for your help. Best, joe
Old 11-18-2012, 06:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by caps59
Hi All,

this is a great little car but the road noise on highways is quite annoying. I informed my dealer and suggests that i bring it for examination. Will keep you posted.

I need you help on another matter. I sold wife's 2008 TSX for the ILX (which she loves), would the 16 in steel wheels fit on the ILX. Thanks for your help. Best, joe
They should but you would need the right size tire to compensate for the difference in the wheel size.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:48 PM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
the everyday driving in the city has minimal road noise until you hit the freeway, up till around 55mph and up it starts to annoy the shit out of me.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:31 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SlaammedILX
the everyday driving in the city has minimal road noise until you hit the freeway, up till around 55mph and up it starts to annoy the shit out of me.
I completely agree on that. I was doing about 60mph-75mph on the road to Tulilip (about 120 mile ride) and the noise is unbearable.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

I completely agree on that. I was doing about 60mph-75mph on the road to Tulilip (about 120 mile ride) and the noise is unbearable.
Seriously did you guys not notice this when you test drove them. Maybe the dealers you test drove at don't allow you to really take the car for a test drive. I drove it under all types of roads and highways all day before I made my decision to get the 6mt.

I have yet to see any review that states the road noise is bad let alone "unbearable", deathknight you seem to be a master of overstatement.

Is it noiser than my ZDX, yes, but then my ZDX was twice the price.

Yesterday I was at speeds of 60+ and it just didn't bother me and a 6mt is noiser than the 2.0. One stretch of road for about 2 miles at 40 mph was terrible but it was also terrible in my ZDX and probably would have been in most cars.

SlammedILX Is it annoying to me, no and I am very sorry it is for you.

I hope you guys can come up with something that will reduce the impact road noise is having on your ears without a lot of extra expense and time so that you can enjoy your purchase.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Seriously did you guys not notice this when you test drove them. Maybe the dealers you test drove at don't allow you to really take the car for a test drive. I drove it under all types of roads and highways for hours before I finally made my decision to get the 6mt.

I have yet to see any review that states the road noise is bad let alone "unbearable", deathknight you seem to be a master of overstatement.

Yesterday I was at speeds of 60 mph+ not for hours mind you and it just didn't bother me and a 6mt is noiser than the 2.0. One stretch of road for about 2 miles at 40 mph was terrible but it was also terrible in my ZDX and probably would have been in most cars.

I hope you guys can come up with something that will reduce the impact road noise is having on your ears without a lot of extra expense and time so that you can enjoy your purchase.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:28 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by terdonal
Seriously did you guys not notice this when you test drove them. Maybe the dealers you test drove at don't allow you to really take the car for a test drive. I drove it under all types of roads and highways for hours before I finally made my decision to get the 6mt.

Yesterday I was at speeds of 60 mph+ not for hours mind you and it just didn't bother me and a 6mt is noiser than the 2.0. One stretch of road for about 2 miles at 40 mph was terrible but it was also terrible in my ZDX and probably would have been in most cars.

Why the double post? And he is not directing it to you in any way or form. I don't think I am making an overstatement. Read the review. They said "quiet car this car does not make." Granted, they said it is a bit better then the new Honda Civic but that is not saying much. My friend who owns a VW Passat and the very first thing he mentioned to my car when we were on the highway was how noisy it was so clearly its not just me. Again, I had me, my friend, and a dealer with me while we were driving in DT Vancouver.

Also, I find it really unbearable when I was on my trip to Tulilip from Vancouver (I see that you are from Maple Ridge). I don't know what quantify as quiet but if I had to turn my music really loud with full noise canceling option ON just to get rid of half the noise, I think there is a problem.

All in all, I am probably going in Acura Lougheed (where I made my purchase) for a check up and a spray to reduce the noise. People might say "OMG just do it already or buy some vinyl you cheap guy !" The problem is that I just spent 34k and I expect it not to sound like my Toyota Corolla in the first place.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Why the double post? And he is not directing it to you in any way or form. I don't think I am making an overstatement. Read the review. They said "quiet car this car does not make." Granted, they said it is a bit better then the new Honda Civic but that is not saying much. My friend who owns a VW Passat and the very first thing he mentioned to my car when we were on the highway was how noisy it was so clearly its not just me. Again, I had me, my friend, and a dealer with me while we were driving in DT Vancouver.

Also, I find it really unbearable when I was on my trip to Tulilip from Vancouver (I see that you are from Maple Ridge). I don't know what quantify as quiet but if I had to turn my music really loud with full noise canceling option ON just to get rid of half the noise, I think there is a problem.

All in all, I am probably going in Acura Lougheed (where I made my purchase) for a check up and a spray to reduce the noise. People might say "OMG just do it already or buy some vinyl you cheap guy !" The problem is that I just spent 34k and I expect it not to sound like my Toyota Corolla in the first place.
Don't know how I double posted but no big deal.

Not too sure what you are getting at about "he is not directing it to me in any way shape or form" ??? I am just giving my 2cents to the comments raised about how noisy it is. What review? I have read I would guess over 20 reviews and seen a few on TV and on youtube and they have normally been the contrary to what you are stating. There are more negative comments about the price in comparison to other cars and only adequate power in the 2.0.

As I said I guess you didn't get much of a test drive if it was just in d/t Vancouver with a salesman. I haven't had a salesman in a test drive for 30 years and a test drive imo is more than just driving downtown as you have found out it doesn't show you what it is like on different roads and at speed.

I have owned so many vehicles over the years I can't count them all but I have had 5 Hondas and 13 Acuras and I just don't feel or hear what some of you guys are. Obviously we have diffferent tolerances for things, noise in particular and as I said the 6mt is most certainly noisier than the 2.0.

If I remember you said your 98(?) Corolla was quieter than the ILX and I have driven in a few and just don't get that either.

Is that all your friend with the Passat had to say about the car you just bought was that it was noisy? Nice.

I sincerely hope you do find something that will reduce the noise you can't stand that will make you a little happier with your purchase. I am sure lots of us would be interested in improvements that work on this car no matter what they maybe about, noise, handling, performance etc.