how are all the 2016 ILX's holding up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 05:32 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
how are all the 2016 ILX's holding up?

what's up ILX family

how are all the 2016 ILX vehicles holding up? Any issues, bad experiences? Anything to keep an eye open for?

picked mine up the week it was released. I currently have about 23k miles on it.

My lease is almost up, and I'm thinking about keeping it
Old 09-11-2017, 09:22 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I bought my 2016 ILX tech plus aspec brand new in March 2015! So far I have 24,000 miles on it since I didn’t need to drive far while in Georgia, Korea, and now in Hawaii. It has sentimental value since I took it around the world. So far, the safety features saved my ass in real life near accident in South Korea. It braked for me well ahead of time. Luckily nobody was behind me. After that, i was convinced that this pre collision braking really worked and it worked WELL. I was in this situation 3 times in South Korea while driving to Seoul. Luckily nothing in my suspension, wheels, brakes, rotors were damaged. When it does brake like that, it feels like something is grabbing so hard, that its like a rippled sensation. But yeah to be honest, its hard for me to give up this car since I bought it and not leased it and It’s been an awesome car. It started getting rougher and louder in ride around 20,000 miles so I changed my tires to the Michelin pilot super sport on all fours, and the ride is smoother, stickier, quieter, more sporty and overall a joy to drive. I owened a new 2012 Mercedes C class, new 2013 BMW 335I before and this Acura is a keeper for me as I had no serious problems with it thus far. With my German cars, I had problems at near 20,000 miles the turbo went bad and needed the whole system replaced under warranty then problems after that started to trickle in. I’d still buy a BMW though, just that I’m happy with this ILX right now. If you’re happy with it and can live with the “badge” then keep it. Plus you’ll have a lower car payment to go through. Then down the line, change cars if you want. I was thinking about a 2018 MDX to add to our family tho....but the 2018 BMW X3 looks amazing and may get that. But what I’m getting at is, for our family sedan, we are going to keep this ILX. My wife loves it and wants to get rid of her older civic ex. sorry for long post...
Old 09-11-2017, 09:23 PM
Instructor

Oh and I replaced my cabin air filter and engine air filter with K&N and I didn’t care about he performance, but my gas mileage on the highway went from 36-40 mpg to nearly 45 mpg and the sound of the car is more aggressive...something to think about. I only bought drop in filters and I dont plan on modding this car further with CAI or anything like that.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
My 2016 ILX Tech Plus ASPEC has had two problems, both fixed under warranty:
  1. Passenger sun visor's airbag warning decal fell off. New sun visor order and installed.
  2. Radio presets show garbage or wrong characters upon first start up. Addressed via TSB.
Other than that, no issues. It's a fun little nimble car. My car is 100% stock. Odo reads about 8000 miles. Purchased new in Feb 2016.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:25 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2016 Tech purchased April 2015. Only issue was front brake noise, which was addressed by dealer on a TSB. Other than that it's been trouble-free.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
Oh, I also had the front brake noise. Addressed by TSB. I also had a rubbing creaking sound coming from the glovebox area. It was driving me crazy for a while, but it stopped by itself. Maybe the weather changed or something shifted by itself but it's gone now. Oh well, 3 more years of warranty to deal with that if it starts up again.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:40 PM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nurseman74
I bought my 2016 ILX tech plus aspec brand new in March 2015! So far I have 24,000 miles on it since I didn’t need to drive far while in Georgia, Korea, and now in Hawaii. It has sentimental value since I took it around the world. So far, the safety features saved my ass in real life near accident in South Korea. It braked for me well ahead of time. Luckily nobody was behind me. After that, i was convinced that this pre collision braking really worked and it worked WELL. I was in this situation 3 times in South Korea while driving to Seoul. Luckily nothing in my suspension, wheels, brakes, rotors were damaged. When it does brake like that, it feels like something is grabbing so hard, that its like a rippled sensation. But yeah to be honest, its hard for me to give up this car since I bought it and not leased it and It’s been an awesome car. It started getting rougher and louder in ride around 20,000 miles so I changed my tires to the Michelin pilot super sport on all fours, and the ride is smoother, stickier, quieter, more sporty and overall a joy to drive. I owened a new 2012 Mercedes C class, new 2013 BMW 335I before and this Acura is a keeper for me as I had no serious problems with it thus far. With my German cars, I had problems at near 20,000 miles the turbo went bad and needed the whole system replaced under warranty then problems after that started to trickle in. I’d still buy a BMW though, just that I’m happy with this ILX right now. If you’re happy with it and can live with the “badge” then keep it. Plus you’ll have a lower car payment to go through. Then down the line, change cars if you want. I was thinking about a 2018 MDX to add to our family tho....but the 2018 BMW X3 looks amazing and may get that. But what I’m getting at is, for our family sedan, we are going to keep this ILX. My wife loves it and wants to get rid of her older civic ex. sorry for long post...
That's the one biggie that concerns me about 'bot braking. I don't think Mr. Bot checks the rearviews. The guy in the gasoline truck 30' back sure isn't going to stop like your ILX.

Originally Posted by Nurseman74
Oh and I replaced my cabin air filter and engine air filter with K&N and I didn’t care about he performance, but my gas mileage on the highway went from 36-40 mpg to nearly 45 mpg and the sound of the car is more aggressive...something to think about. I only bought drop in filters and I dont plan on modding this car further with CAI or anything like that.
That's bizarre and something I've never heard before. And most of the recent cars I've put a K&N drop-in had such baffled intakes that there was no sound difference.

A CAI would probably make it more interesting. But looks like you've got a good thing going, don't break it if it ain't fixed.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:56 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Neanderthal

That's bizarre and something I've never heard before. And most of the recent cars I've put a K&N drop-in had such baffled intakes that there was no sound difference.

A CAI would probably make it more interesting. But looks like you've got a good thing going, don't break it if it ain't fixed.

My thoughts exactly. Almost sounded like a sales pitch for K&N. More aggressive sound and better MPG? Sign me up!

Than I realized I've never got better MPG and more aggressive sound on any K&N drop in from every car I've ever owned.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by iRaw
My thoughts exactly. Almost sounded like a sales pitch for K&N. More aggressive sound and better MPG? Sign me up!

Than I realized I've never got better MPG and more aggressive sound on any K&N drop in from every car I've ever owned.
You guys are probably right though the sound maybe in my mind and the mpg I got may have been from babying the gas pedal? I dunno, for Hawaii traffic it’s been okay so far. Main thing also is I changed my cabin filter too with k&n and my car doesn’t smell like mold anymore and I can clean it whenever I want. I haven’t changed my original new car cabin filter since I bought it 25,000 miles ago lol. I know I couldn’t bought new cabin filters annually but didn’t want to spend more money in the long term. I never tried k&n before and just read about them online from others using it. So yeah I’m a noob.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
With the exception of the tranny slam (fixed in a recent TSB), mine has been flawless. My wife's has also been flawless. Her's had the break squeal, also fixed by a TSB.

I do agree with many of the complaints from Consumer Reports, mainly the lack of luxury quality interior design and materials, outdated infotainment system, and the excessive road-noise. Otherwise, everything about it has been great. The driving dynamics and suspension are spot-on. It's a fun car and I truly enjoy driving it.

IMO the ILX has been the closest product they've made that harkens back to their glory days, up till the recent 18 A-spec TLX release. Hopefully they continue this new track record.

Last edited by holografique; 09-16-2017 at 08:24 PM.