AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   ILX (https://acurazine.com/forums/ilx-382/)
-   -   FYI: ILX 6-Speed Manual Transmission Sales (https://acurazine.com/forums/ilx-382/fyi-ilx-6-speed-manual-transmission-sales-977034/)

4cruizn 02-08-2019 08:30 AM

FYI: ILX 6-Speed Manual Transmission Sales

Hi All, I shared this on the ILX Owners & Enthusiasts Facebook group but I'll post it here as well for those who aren't part of that.

I was able to get ahold of official information from Acura about precisely how many ILXs were sold with stick shifts for the 2013-15 model years when it was available. It's about 4%.

There were 2,786 cars exactly.

https://drivetofive.files.wordpress..../ilx_trans.jpg

I'm working on getting even more granular with this, to know what the colors were.

The ILX manual could end up being a rare and collectible model in the future as Acura's last manual. The types of cars that people buy has changed. 25 years ago, every Acura was available with a stick.

My car is 6-speed #000082 and currently has 213,000 miles and running strong.

https://drivetofive.files.wordpress....ront_right.jpg

visi_d 02-08-2019 12:48 PM

This is very cool find. I bought my 2015 ilx used. I had never seen it in a manual. At that point i had to buy it when i saw it was a manual with the k24z7 under the hood. I love my ILX.

schen72 02-10-2019 12:12 AM

I actually *like* the idea of a manual, but for practical purposes of driving in traffic every weekday, it's automatic for me all the way. Last manual I had was a 92 Integra and then the pain of driving in a congested metro area was just too much. Plus, the 8DCT in the '16 ILX shifts faster than I could with a manual!

DaIll1 02-10-2019 12:24 AM

Ditto, and it is a manual, it's just computer shifted with a lock-up torque converter.

schen72 02-10-2019 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by DaIll1 (Post 16380338)
Ditto, and it is a manual, it's just computer shifted with a lock-up torque converter.

Exactly! The shifts happen so fast you can barely feel it and downshifting is automatically rev matched so every shift is perfect. However, I've also driven BMW's 8 speed conventional automatic and it's also quite nice. Automatics have come a long way. There is no longer a performance gain by going with manual. The only reason to get a manual would be to feel more engaged with the car, which most people would probably be killing themselves after driving to work every day in stop-n-go traffic.

rocket354 02-21-2019 11:13 PM

I'm kind of surprised at the sharp dropoff in sales between '15 and '16. The '16+ seems a decidedly superior car (and I'm a '13 owner), yet buyers seemed to like the previous version better. It clearly isn't the lack of a manual option--here's hoping it does become a collector's item.

Tyson, you appear to have reclaimed your ILX. Couldn't stay away, huh?

hondeducation 03-14-2019 01:57 PM

i mentioned this in another thread, but am wondering why they don't offer a manual transmission in the ILX... i bought a '13 ILX 6 speed, but gave it up to try something else. after going through at least 10 different cars since (X1, FX35, G37, Q50, RSX, S2000, TL, TL-S, TSX, etc), I found myself in a 1st gen TSX 6 speed, which I believe is the most similar to the current ILX in terms of size, handling, and power. If Honda is trying to aim at appeasing the enthusiast and younger generation at the same time with the ILX, why not offer a manual transmission? Being a 30 something year old now with a little more disposable income, I am turned off by getting a Civic just to have my manual transmission. Is the Honda Accord the only alternative that isn't an Acura? sad...

schen72 03-14-2019 07:40 PM

Not enough people want manual transmissions, me included. The market has spoken.

justnspace 03-14-2019 07:51 PM

very simple; supply and demand.

justnspace 03-14-2019 07:51 PM

there is no demand.

justnspace 03-14-2019 07:53 PM

Very cool info, Tyson!!!

wondering if you have inside info on the sale of the third gen 6MT TL

Chrifff 04-04-2019 05:46 PM

Sold my 2013 ILX Dynamic and ended up with a non-Honda product, mainly because I wanted a manual.

Honda has one of the best gearboxes in the industry... Hands down! I very likely will come back if Acura brings back a manual in the TLX or ILX when they reintroduce the Type S!!!

Come on Acura don't let me down!

Long live manuals

hondeducation 04-11-2019 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Chrifff (Post 16407542)
Sold my 2013 ILX Dynamic and ended up with a non-Honda product, mainly because I wanted a manual.

Honda has one of the best gearboxes in the industry... Hands down! I very likely will come back if Acura brings back a manual in the TLX or ILX when they reintroduce the Type S!!!

Come on Acura don't let me down!

Long live manuals

hey man, that's exactly what i'm waiting for too! either the TLX or ILX getting a Type S manual transmission! *crossing fingers*

4cruizn 05-12-2019 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by rocket354 (Post 16387014)
Tyson, you appear to have reclaimed your ILX. Couldn't stay away, huh?

Haha, I did. My brother drove it for 15 months until he bought a different daily driver. Nice having it back, and driving the wheels off it. Currently 214,600 or so. This was taken yesterday in northern AZ after a dirt road excursion.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...4743146853.jpg

Originally Posted by hondeducation (Post 16398037)
I found myself in a 1st gen TSX 6 speed, which I believe is the most similar to the current ILX in terms of size, handling, and power.

I've often thought the same. Love the G1 TSX.

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 16398250)
wondering if you have inside info on the sale of the third gen 6MT TL

I'll see what I can find out. I wondered the same when I had my 07 TL-S 6MT.

schen72 05-12-2019 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by hondeducation (Post 16410155)
hey man, that's exactly what i'm waiting for too! either the TLX or ILX getting a Type S manual transmission! *crossing fingers*

Don't hold your breath. Even though the people who like manuals really LOVE them and would buy them, there aren't enough of you to make business sense. I personally predict only niche cars will have manuals.

Nsxvtec 05-16-2019 01:53 PM

ILX 6-Speed MT

Hi, Just joined here from Toronto Canada. Good to see others keeping the stick shift skills alive. I consider the paddle shift stuff for the gamers. I got the last new 2015 ILX MT sold in Canada from the dealer here in 2016 (1 year delay due to Takata airbag recall) . Drove it home from dealer and placed it on a hoist where it has sat for the last 3 years with 800Km. on the clock. Will bring it out and start using this year.