Do you like your ILX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 03:12 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you like your ILX?

Hi, I am new here.

Looking to lease 2018 ILX or 2018 Accord this month.

I've read so many bad reviews bash ILX is an expensive civic.

I just test drove it but I really like the car for its value(much cheaper than civic and accord) except for the outdated interior and infotainment system

but I would like to hear what you guys think about your ILX? Do you like it or hate it? What part do you like it or hate it?

Old 08-13-2018, 03:00 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 71 Posts
I picked up one of the first batches of 2016 refreshed ILX in April of 2015. I love the thing so much that at the end of my 39 month lease, I bought the car.
The 8 Speed DCT is super smooth in standard D mode, (only lags if you try to romp on it while in D, so if you need to pass someone, just slap it in S or S Manual first)

Never felt any of the weird DCT jerky-ness others had reported, though I did have the squeaky brakes issue that was eventually solved through a TSB.

I love that it is basically a TLX in Fancy Civic clothing, since it means you get a nicer interior than a civic, but with the power and drive train of the TLX, Its a great sporty combination.

Just give it a proper set of sticky tires, replace the Front/Rear sway bars with an Eibach set, not to mention the now growing list of aftermarket performance parts such as intakes, PCDs, and even ECU Tunes... and you've got yourself a serious 2015 Civic Si competitor with I'd wager superior performance and comfort.
The following users liked this post:
davidlstewart (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 09:18 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Thmanx
I picked up one of the first batches of 2016 refreshed ILX in April of 2015. I love the thing so much that at the end of my 39 month lease, I bought the car.
The 8 Speed DCT is super smooth in standard D mode, (only lags if you try to romp on it while in D, so if you need to pass someone, just slap it in S or S Manual first)

Never felt any of the weird DCT jerky-ness others had reported, though I did have the squeaky brakes issue that was eventually solved through a TSB.

I love that it is basically a TLX in Fancy Civic clothing, since it means you get a nicer interior than a civic, but with the power and drive train of the TLX, Its a great sporty combination.

Just give it a proper set of sticky tires, replace the Front/Rear sway bars with an Eibach set, not to mention the now growing list of aftermarket performance parts such as intakes, PCDs, and even ECU Tunes... and you've got yourself a serious 2015 Civic Si competitor with I'd wager superior performance and comfort.
I agree, I have a 2017 ilx base I got late last year when 18 was coming out and got it for much less than msrp. I am excited to add some little mods but know what it is obviously not a race car but you can have fun in it and a good looking little car you wont look like a 16 year old pulling up anywhere haha. I love the car I enjoy it I have fun in turns plan to do the aforementioned sway bar swap here soon and eventually try the tune that came out. if you like it what others think really shouldn't matter. I personally enjoy the car.

I do have a question, ive been on the fence a couple places that list "acura ilx" set-ups. did you use one of those or order the (correct me if im wrong) set up for the 15 SI?

Last edited by davidlstewart; 08-14-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:58 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 71 Posts
Swaybars I used were eibachs 2012+ civic set. Kit No. 4087.320 with a 24mm front 19mm rear. Those fit on Si's and 13-15 ILX's officially (16+ use same sway mounting)

Only full coil overs are different (different mounting for 16+ ILX, which is similar to the 14-15 Si's), and spring rates (Unique to the 16+ ILX due to its larger engine and DCT compared to a standard Civic or Si)
Old 08-15-2018, 07:37 AM
Intermediate

Swaybars I used were eibachs 2012+ civic set. Kit No. 4087.320 with a 24mm front 19mm rear. Those fit on Si's and 13-15 ILX's officially (16+ use same sway mounting)

Only full coil overs are different (different mounting for 16+ ILX, which is similar to the 14-15 Si's), and spring rates (Unique to the 16+ ILX due to its larger engine and DCT compared to a standard Civic or Si)
Thank you I appreciate the help!
Old 08-15-2018, 06:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
The ILX is *NOT* cheaper than a Civic. Look at the prices. However you can definitely score very good deals on an ILX. You can definitely get the top trim (tech+aspec) for under $30k. Civic Touring's MSRP is less than that.

Now, what I like about the ILX:
Nice drivetrain. It's not super fast, but it's not bad and I love the DCT8. Most people won't even know it's a DCT, that's how smooth it is. It's only when you start shifting with the paddles do you realize the shifts are so fast and smooth. The 2016+ MMC is the one to get. It got the DCT8, LED headlights, and revised front/rear bumpers.

What I don't like:
Interior kind of cheap. The infotainment stack is outdated but gets the job done. The center console and shifter area looks especially cheap.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:45 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by schen72
The ILX is *NOT* cheaper than a Civic. Look at the prices. However you can definitely score very good deals on an ILX. You can definitely get the top trim (tech+aspec) for under $30k. Civic Touring's MSRP is less than that.

Thank you for your comments!

I mean, MSRP of Civic is definitely cheaper, but when it comes to leasing, You can get more than 10k off from the msrp.

Several dealerships offered me 230/mo (zero due at signing) and 2018 civics are about the same or higher.

Since new model(refreshed) is coming out, I think I can try to push more for discounts.

This is why I'm considering ILX over civic

Old 08-16-2018, 07:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 172 Posts
You do understand that the ILX uses a much better material in the floor, right?
It uses the same mounting pattern as the "14+ Si for suspension, but it isn't the same floor.
t's stiffer and quieter, hence the tear-out when using really heavy sway bars (no flex).
I have a '16 Tech+ A spec and I love it. I'm OK with calling it the Top Shelf Civic.
I've turned off the noise canceling and changed out the harmonics canceling wheels, so it's
a bit louder inside, the way I like it.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DaIll1
You do understand that the ILX uses a much better material in the floor, right?
It uses the same mounting pattern as the "14+ Si for suspension, but it isn't the same floor.
t's stiffer and quieter, hence the tear-out when using really heavy sway bars (no flex).
I have a '16 Tech+ A spec and I love it. I'm OK with calling it the Top Shelf Civic.
I've turned off the noise canceling and changed out the harmonics canceling wheels, so it's
a bit louder inside, the way I like it.
Yeah, the ILX is kind of like a top "trim" of Civic as it shares some things. But it's a little more mature looking and not as boy racer as the Civic.

As for leasing, I really have no idea about that as I don't like the economics of leasing. But from what I understand Hondas and Acuras don't often have good lease rates. Check out BMWs and they often have really good lease deals.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 172 Posts
They make their money from the maintenance end
Old 08-20-2018, 06:14 PM
Cruisin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo9DiqFvAcU
This
is a great video review of the 16+ ILX. Lot's of great information here and he compares/contrasts against other in the segment.

I bought my 17 ILX Premium A-Spec last August and I managed to get it for less than a base model due to the fact that my local Acura dealership doesn't sell many non-AWD vehicles. Aside from getting a great deal on my car, I love it. It's fun to drive, fast enough, amazing MPG especially on the highway and more. My only complaints are small like I wish I had a little more storage space, a tad louder exhaust note and maybe a little more headroom, but overall I love driving it everyday.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:39 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MegaManILX
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo9DiqFvAcU
This
is a great video review of the 16+ ILX. Lot's of great information here and he compares/contrasts against other in the segment.

I bought my 17 ILX Premium A-Spec last August and I managed to get it for less than a base model due to the fact that my local Acura dealership doesn't sell many non-AWD vehicles. Aside from getting a great deal on my car, I love it. It's fun to drive, fast enough, amazing MPG especially on the highway and more. My only complaints are small like I wish I had a little more storage space, a tad louder exhaust note and maybe a little more headroom, but overall I love driving it everyday.
I agree with those points, I got a base 17 for 22 so I cant complain in any matter. I would enjoy more power but now that's possible! love the mpg highway drive mostly I average 40! so that's good haha one thing I would change is the exhaust. I just wish the exhaust would be showing instead of hidden which can be changed just a tricky thing to do to make look well when changed.. we shall see I love the car though!
Old 08-22-2018, 11:19 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by davidlstewart
I agree with those points, I got a base 17 for 22 so I cant complain in any matter. I would enjoy more power but now that's possible! love the mpg highway drive mostly I average 40! so that's good haha one thing I would change is the exhaust. I just wish the exhaust would be showing instead of hidden which can be changed just a tricky thing to do to make look well when changed.. we shall see I love the car though!
The highway mileage is great. This was from my road trip from Reno to LA. I don't mind not seeing the exhaust, but I do wish it was a tad louder. And There is additional power to be had since the TLX with dual exhaust makes 206/182 vs our car at 201/180.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:36 AM
Intermediate

Nice! there is a aftermarket growing for them so little by little!
Old 01-06-2019, 10:54 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by davidlstewart
You are averaging 40 mpg? That's awesome! I just bought a 2017 ILX with the premium package with only 19k on it and just drove it 2 hours home and only got at most 33 mpg. I wonder why mine is so much less? I was expecting 35-36 on the hwy. I haven't even owned it 24 hours yet but I love it!
Old 01-06-2019, 09:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kparcell
You are averaging 40 mpg? That's awesome! I just bought a 2017 ILX with the premium package with only 19k on it and just drove it 2 hours home and only got at most 33 mpg. I wonder why mine is so much less? I was expecting 35-36 on the hwy. I haven't even owned it 24 hours yet but I love it!
That 40 average MPG is very likely highway miles only. Once you actually drive a mix of highway and city, 28-32 is more typical MPG.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:36 AM
6th Gear

That 40 average MPG is very likely highway miles only. Once you actually drive a mix of highway and city, 28-32 is more typical MPG.
Good to know as I am loving this car. Mine did come with a license plate on the front of it and I bought it from an Audi dealership so I need to either change the Audi plate out or take the plate and case off. I prefer to take it off completely but then there will be holes from where the plate was...does anybody know if I could fill those holes with something maybe?
Old 01-07-2019, 06:02 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
It should be using an axcessory bracket. Now, I don't know weather that creates holes itself, but ypu could always throw on sonething like this!
Old 01-07-2019, 06:17 AM
6th Gear

I guess I could check, I just assumed it left holes from where the plate was screwed on. If so, I will look for an Acura plate. My car is white so maybe I will get a black Acura plate. I feel silly driving around with this Audi plate on lol. They put an Audi plate on front, and Audi sticker on the window and an Audi plate frame on back-car dealership advertisement at it's best
Old 01-07-2019, 06:20 AM
Null and proud of it

I guess I could check, I just assumed it left holes from where the plate was screwed on. If so, I will look for an Acura plate. My car is white so maybe I will get a black Acura plate. I feel silly driving around with this Audi plate on lol. They put an Audi plate on front, and Audi sticker on the window and an Audi plate frame on back-car dealership advertisement at it's best

Gotcha! I'd hate that too.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yes, even with the front license plate bracket, there are two holes in the front bumper. Earlier generations of Acuras (such as my RL and RDX) actually used hidden screws mounted in the lower grill below the bumper. It wasn't necessary to drill holes in the bumper. But now with more recent Acuras they no longer have that. Thus, my ILX has the holes so I opted to keep the front plate on as seeing holes would annoy me even more than having a front plate. Maybe for my next car, I will insist that no holes be drilled in the bumper even if that means I have to wait for a new car to be driven off the boat.

Note: Here in CA a front plate is required by law but it's rarely enforced. The ILX is the first car I've had a front plate on in my 25 years of driving. Tinted windows on the front windows are also illegal in CA, but you are really only pulled over for these infractions if you look suspicious or you look like a criminal.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:46 PM
Null and proud of it

Yes, even with the front license plate bracket, there are two holes in the front bumper. Earlier generations of Acuras (such as my RL and RDX) actually used hidden screws mounted in the lower grill below the bumper. It wasn't necessary to drill holes in the bumper. But now with more recent Acuras they no longer have that. Thus, my ILX has the holes so I opted to keep the front plate on as seeing holes would annoy me even more than having a front plate. Maybe for my next car, I will insist that no holes be drilled in the bumper even if that means I have to wait for a new car to be driven off the boat.

Note: Here in CA a front plate is required by law but it's rarely enforced. The ILX is the first car I've had a front plate on in my 25 years of driving. Tinted windows on the front windows are also illegal in CA, but you are really only pulled over for these infractions if you look suspicious or you look like a criminal.

That's what I was wondering...

What if you took a little putty and a touch up pen... I know this is kinda ghetto, but odds are it would hide it 90% of the way, but it would probably look stupid on a new car.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:22 PM
The inconvenient truth

Received 435 Likes on 321 Posts
Don't they have plugs to hide the holes?
Old 01-08-2019, 12:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
https://www.bumperplugs.com/index.ph...&product_id=70

Make sure the holes are no larger than 9/32"

Old 01-08-2019, 12:30 AM
Null and proud of it

Looking good there!
Old 01-08-2019, 06:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Does anyone know if the dealer installed license plate bracket holes on a 16+ ILX are less than 9/32"?
Old 01-09-2019, 06:09 AM
6th Gear

Did you have to drill to make the holes bigger for the plugs or did they just fit? I definitely do not want to have to drill...
Old 01-11-2019, 10:58 AM
4th Gear

I went directly from a 2014 Civic Touring to a 2018 ILX Premium Package, is nothing like a upgraded Civic at whatsoever,, the 8 speed dual clutch transmission by itself is enough, interior is nicer, 100% less road/wind noise than the civic, the suspension is 100% better than the civic. I love it
Old 01-11-2019, 11:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by eortizr
I went directly from a 2014 Civic Touring to a 2018 ILX Premium Package, is nothing like a upgraded Civic at whatsoever,, the 8 speed dual clutch transmission by itself is enough, interior is nicer, 100% less road/wind noise than the civic, the suspension is 100% better than the civic. I love it
The people who harp about the ILX being no different from a Civic haven't actually driven an ILX. The only thing the Civic has over the ILX Is a newer generation infotainment system, and of course it's cheaper.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:48 AM
4th Gear

I noticed that it only does that laggy feeling in D mode too the other day. It feels like a beginner learning how to drive stick. And I guess it’s about timing and knowing when it down shifts cause I probably punched the gas as it was down shifting while in traffic and I got scared for a sec but realized that it was trying to down shift. I’ve had the car for a month now and I love it! I can’t wait to tune and put some 18s on this baby!
Old 09-19-2019, 07:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Did you have to drill to make the holes bigger for the plugs or did they just fit? I definitely do not want to have to drill...
I'm a little late replying, but I did end up getting the bumper plugs that the site mentioned earlier in the thread. I did have to slightly enlarge the bumper holes, but it was easy. Just use a power drill. The plugs fit perfectly and it's a perfect color match.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:47 PM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
This is an honest question, but what is the big deal about having a front license plate? If it's required by law in California, why risk a ticket, especially now that they are cracking down due to all the drivers who try to evade toll cameras with no front plate?

I don't get that it is such an aesthetic atrocity to the front of the vehicle that one should break the law to keep the "clean lines" of a front bumper. It's just a car, not a Picasso.

Old 12-31-2019, 11:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kixo
This is an honest question, but what is the big deal about having a front license plate? If it's required by law in California, why risk a ticket, especially now that they are cracking down due to all the drivers who try to evade toll cameras with no front plate?

I don't get that it is such an aesthetic atrocity to the front of the vehicle that one should break the law to keep the "clean lines" of a front bumper. It's just a car, not a Picasso.
I agree it's not a "big deal" in the big picture of life. But it's something a lot of people care about. In 25+ years of driving, I've never been pulled over for not having a front plate. I just don't think most cops care. Also, toll cameras use the rear plate for their picture.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:00 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hyundai deliberately doesn't put front license plates on its press fleet cars that are registered in Illinois. If you're a journalist and somehow manage to get a ticket for this "violation," the company will pay it.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:16 PM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I agree it's not a "big deal" in the big picture of life. But it's something a lot of people care about. In 25+ years of driving, I've never been pulled over for not having a front plate. I just don't think most cops care. Also, toll cameras use the rear plate for their picture.
Thanks. Actually, toll authorities are starting to take photos of both the front and back of cars passing through the toll station without transponders. Some also take photos of the driver. See:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...-11212053.php#

"The FasTrak electronic toll collection system uses cameras to capture images of the front and rear license plates of cars that don’t have transponders to pay their tolls. But with these paper plates, there are no numbers or letters to snap and run through the computers to determine who should be sent a bill for the toll."

I am a big supporter of front licence plate enforcement. It helps track toll evaders, retrieve stolen vehicles and plates, and solve crimes. Just yesterday, two criminals were arrested in the death of a victim they robbed his laptop at a Montclair (Oakland CA) Starbucks. The victim unfortunately chased after the thieves, and was hit and killed when he tried to stop the getaway car.

Neighborhood security cameras captured the front license plate of the vehicle, which helped police arrest two suspects after tracking the car to a home.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kixo
Thanks. Actually, toll authorities are starting to take photos of both the front and back of cars passing through the toll station without transponders. Some also take photos of the driver. See:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...-11212053.php#

"The FasTrak electronic toll collection system uses cameras to capture images of the front and rear license plates of cars that don’t have transponders to pay their tolls. But with these paper plates, there are no numbers or letters to snap and run through the computers to determine who should be sent a bill for the toll."

I am a big supporter of front licence plate enforcement. It helps track toll evaders, retrieve stolen vehicles and plates, and solve crimes. Just yesterday, two criminals were arrested in the death of a victim they robbed his laptop at a Montclair (Oakland CA) Starbucks. The victim unfortunately chased after the thieves, and was hit and killed when he tried to stop the getaway car.

Neighborhood security cameras captured the front license plate of the vehicle, which helped police arrest two suspects after tracking the car to a home.
I live in the SF bay area and occasionally cross the bridges. I have my license plate in their system for automatic toll deduction. I know they capture my rear plate because my account gets charged. If one day I get cited for a missing front plate, I'll just pay the fine and move on. The money is inconsequential to me.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:38 PM
10th Gear

I've had my 2019 Premium A-SPEC for 5 months now and have really enjoyed it. I paid $29,500 OTD and feel the ILX is a good value. The dealership buying experience was the best I've ever had. A couple of emails to agree on price, drove down there and was out in under 90 minutes. They threw in tint, wheel locks, door handle/edge guards, trunk tray and a Diet Coke for the road. It's a fun car to drive and it's nice having a car you don't see everywhere. I've only seen one other 2019 on the street here in Phoenix since I've owned mine and maybe 3 others of any vintage. My only complaints are a weak exhaust note (come on Acura punch it up a little) and the lack of aftermarket support. I've been mulling over what mods I want to do. Presently, I'm working on the exhaust situation and am considering having the roof vinyl wrapped in gloss black. I've been very satisfied with my purchase, it's nice not having buyer's remorse for a change. LOL
Old 01-12-2020, 07:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by FNHP4ME
I've had my 2019 Premium A-SPEC for 5 months now and have really enjoyed it. I paid $29,500 OTD and feel the ILX is a good value. The dealership buying experience was the best I've ever had. A couple of emails to agree on price, drove down there and was out in under 90 minutes. They threw in tint, wheel locks, door handle/edge guards, trunk tray and a Diet Coke for the road. It's a fun car to drive and it's nice having a car you don't see everywhere. I've only seen one other 2019 on the street here in Phoenix since I've owned mine and maybe 3 others of any vintage. My only complaints are a weak exhaust note (come on Acura punch it up a little) and the lack of aftermarket support. I've been mulling over what mods I want to do. Presently, I'm working on the exhaust situation and am considering having the roof vinyl wrapped in gloss black. I've been very satisfied with my purchase, it's nice not having buyer's remorse for a change. LOL
Haha, the Diet Coke was a nice touch!
Old 01-13-2020, 11:04 PM
10th Gear

Haha, the Diet Coke was a nice touch!
Yea, got to try out the cup holders on the way home. A nice improvement over my Miata which has none.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:05 PM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
2019 aspec + prem. I paid exactly $23,500 out the door (with trade in). Closer to $26k if you factor that out. At this price, I'm ecstatic w my purchase after 5500 mi. The ILX reminds me of one the best cars I've ever owned, 2005 TSX. The TSX was modified quite a bit, too bad options for ILX dont really stack up.

Quick Reply: Do you like your ILX?