Buy Or Pass on Acura ILX

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 05:02 PM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by nothome17
If you are looking for true luxury entry-level luxury sedan, this is not it. The interior are nice but not as luxurious as a Mercedes or Audi. It does not drive with peppiness that you get with Mercedes or Audi. I find the acceleration weak but I guess it's because this car is trying to save gas, so it keeps shifting below 2000rpm....(you can do paddle shifting which helps). Your neighbor may think your driving a hybrid but who cares.

Others cars to try out, VW GTI, Mazda 3
Hence the "IF" since we don't know what the OP is looking for.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:42 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by csj0219
I have 2016 ILX Premium package and have 29,000km under my belt. For me, there's no issue with the transmission and it's my first car with a dual clutch transmission but it's definitely behaves differently than traditional automatic (Although Honda DCT has torque converter). Dual clutch transmission literally means, there are two clutches (One for 1-3-5-7 and the other for 2-4-6-8).
Based on my experience, there's two scenarios where ILX DCT MAY struggles to find it's right gear. To me, I think it's the nature of DCT. Putting in Sport mode resolves two issues below.
1. When you are hitting on brake to almost crawling speed then hitting the gas pedal very eruptly (Maybe you are slowing down, then see the small opening at the next lane, etc..).

2. You are speeding up, then decides to kick down one gear (Typically happens when you are in drive and transmission is already in 8th gear), it works flawlessly when you are doing double kick down since you are using the same clutch, but sometimes gets confused (for brief second) if you are trying to use another set of clutch (i.e. 7th gear)...

Just my opinion.

I have a 2016 Premium as well, only had it for 500 miles so far but your experience is 100% like mine. For people like myself who never driven a manual or DCT before the DCT behaving like this might shock people. Like you said this really can be negated if put into Sport mode, but I think the car is almost obnoxious in how loud it revs and fuel economy suffers
Old 07-07-2016, 01:44 PM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
So it will be in 2018 that the ILX will get the all new redesign and equal or meet the Civic Touring features?
Old 07-07-2016, 01:53 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by usdmJON
If you "want" a WRX then I dont see an ILX ever making you happy. Apples to oranges. If you craze the taste of citrus then an apple isnt going to cut it.

Both are great cars for what they are.

But Id buy a WRX to build a track car and an ILX to build a commuter I enjoy. So I'd ask... what the hell is it you want? A commuter car or a race car?
I was just giving an example to the guy that got the wrx instead of the ilx
Old 07-07-2016, 01:55 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by nothome17
Hence the "IF" since we don't know what the OP is looking for.
I am finding a car that I can style while commuting to college and back with out it being a gas guzzler.

My range is around 20k-28k

Sorry that I haven't been responding lately had to take care with some stuff.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:57 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by boosted180sx
I agree on the features of the civic touring being really great but I would never be able to buy the new civic. That car to me is so hideous looking.
I was looking for a commuter (with some kinda sportiness to it) to replace my 2008 civic with a budget of 30k OTD. My commute to work is 30 miles each way in los angeles traffic so I was looking for a comfortable car over a sports car.

Other cars I looked at:
-Accord Sport : the lack of smart key alone in this day and age was a killer for me. Car rode great but lack of some features along with the CVT transmission didn't impress me. The touring model would have been great but my budget didn't allow for me to look at that model.
-Civic Touring : like I said above, the exterior just doesn't do it for me. this is a personal opinion but I need a car that looks attractive on the exterior. Interior/features are great but I just can't get past how horrible the car looks. I know I wouldn't have been happy buying the car and looking at it in my driveway.

I ended up buying a 2016 ILX w/ Premium and ASpec a few weeks ago and have enjoyed every mile of it. In the end, it all boils down to what you are looking for / need in a car. Some people will say it's too expensive for what you get but the car does fine for what I need it to do. Every person has different opinions on a car that you just have to go out and test drive them yourself and see.

The WRX and the ILX are two different cars aimed at two different types of people imo. A guy looking at a WRX wouldn't be looking at an ILX and vice versa. While the new WRX is a great car and if I didn't have a S2000 and a 9th Gen SI, I would have probably bought that to have a fun sports sedan that I can modify but that isn't what I wanted. I wanted a car in automatic configuration (I would never buy a WRX in auto) that is comfortable to drive and has some type of luxury/sports feel to it. It also helps that there isn't much aftermarket support so I don't get the temptation to touch the ILX and mod it lol.
What was the price quote on the ILX that you got?
Old 07-07-2016, 02:30 PM
5th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by VipStyleAcuras
I am finding a car that I can style while commuting to college and back with out it being a gas guzzler.

My range is around 20k-28k

Sorry that I haven't been responding lately had to take care with some stuff.
I've had the car for a little over 2wks and put about 600 miles on it. Been averaging about 28mpg mixed. Alot has to do with me having to drive in the stop and go of the LA traffic.

What was the price quote on the ILX that you got?
For the 2016 ILX Aspec in Premium trim I paid 28k + TTL, turned out to be a closer to 31k otd cause 9% sales tax of california. So I did go a lil bit over my budget.

The ILX tech would have been too expensive since places around here didn't want to budge much on the Tech trims. I also didn't really care for the navigation or the 10 speaker system since once I got a little older I stopped "bumping" music like I used to when I was younger.

Some people don't care for the ASpec trim but I wanted it. The 18" wheels, foglights, the cluster with the red lines and needles adds some sportiness to the outside/inside (to me, at least). Also with the "Aspec" side skirts which comes factory on the Aspec Trim looks far better than the optional side skirts that you can order.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:54 PM
10th Gear

I've had the car for a little over 2wks and put about 600 miles on it. Been averaging about 28mpg mixed. Alot has to do with me having to drive in the stop and go of the LA traffic.

For the 2016 ILX Aspec in Premium trim I paid 28k + TTL, turned out to be a closer to 31k otd cause 9% sales tax of california. So I did go a lil bit over my budget.

The ILX tech would have been too expensive since places around here didn't want to budge much on the Tech trims. I also didn't really care for the navigation or the 10 speaker system since once I got a little older I stopped "bumping" music like I used to when I was younger.

Some people don't care for the ASpec trim but I wanted it. The 18" wheels, foglights, the cluster with the red lines and needles adds some sportiness to the outside/inside (to me, at least). Also with the "Aspec" side skirts which comes factory on the Aspec Trim looks far better than the optional side skirts that you can order.
Pretty nice I've found one certified preowned under 5k miles for 26k out the door with ttl. Man tax down in so cal is so much higher then tax in sacramento/nor cal
Old 07-07-2016, 02:56 PM
10th Gear

Pretty nice I've found one certified preowned under 5k miles for 26k out the door with ttl. Man tax down in so cal is so much higher then tax in sacramento/nor cal
It was a tech package, but I might try to talk it down to 25,000 out the door.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts

Yeah, I think the A-SPEC trim, especially the wheels, look pretty nice.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:05 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ahhhh the tired "this isnt tru luxury" argument. While I get it, I feel like comparing the ILX flat out to any other Mercedes or Audi is just wrong. But the comparison is worlds better then ILX vs WRX.

IMO, first you need to understand "true luxury" and "entry-level luxury" are going to be two different things. Entry level is just that. It's an entry into the lux world. So it is not going to have nearly ALL the luxurious an Audi or Mercedes have but it is going to have a lot more creature comforts than a typical commuter/family car.

So I mean, while you are right in what you are saying above. It does not have the peppiness or interior luxuries of a Mercedes or Audi but anyone with a brain can tell you an Audi or Mercedes is going to be much more expensive to first just drive off the lot in as well far far more expensive when cost of ownership is brought up.

So while you are right, an Audi is far more luxurious. It doesnt suddenly mean the ILX is in no way a real entry-level luxury vehicle. It is. No matter what you argue you cant change that. No matter what Audi develops it doesnt change what makes a car an entry level luxury vehicle.

The GTI you mention is a great car. But one has to want a VW hatch to like the GTI. Me, personally, I would have loved one in high school. Now though, I dont want a hatchback. I just dont. Id look at the Jetta, Passat, or even CC before looking at the GTI. The Golf would be more comparable to your WRX than the ILX.

The Mazda 3 is a sweet car. It is cheaper than the ILX but also slower. So there is a trade off there. While the ILX is already slow, do you really want a car with even less power? Sure it's about 10grand cheaper but again, slower.

As others have respectfully stated. It all comes down to want you need and want out of a vehicle.

For me, WRX was out of the question 100%. I did not want a sporty commuter car. I wanted good looking car that dips into the luxury brand.
GTI would have been out of the question first for its looks/style then for it being too similar to the WRX being a nice sporty commuter car.
Passat was more up my alley but in the end I decided I wanted to mod an Acura verse a VW. Very different tuner crowds to consider when buying a car. Ive been into Japanese cars all my life and while I may buy a EDM car in the future I wanted to stick with something "JDM" a bit longer as it is what I know.

Mercedes CLA was an option. But I decided it was just to gawdy for my tastes. As well I was convinced cost of ownership would break my bank. Owning an Acura/honda is easy.
Audi A3 was an option but ONLY in sedan which was no yet available at the time. Audi A3 hatch was around but I find those ugly and to me they are what everyone buys when they want a cheap new luxury car.

In the end it came down to an Accord, Passat, or ILX. That's what I cross shopped. A neighbor down the street picked up a Passat and once I saw it more often I quickly decided I didnt like the front end. Accord isnt a bad car at all but in the end I decided with Acura over Honda. That would be my only "fanboy" decision as I simply wanted an Acura over a Honda. In the end I'm very glad I did simply based of how many ILXs you see on the road in comparison to the Accords.
Luxury is kind of in the eye of the beholder really, Honda has made it very difficult for the ILX though to make this statement confidently that it is a Luxury or Premium car due to the fact that content/style wise it is being out done by the 10th gen Civic Touring. I will say Acura's will never performance or "luxury" wise compete with the Germans but rather compete in value. The CLA is pretty much the king of this segment but can easily head north of $40k. At a certain point there is a demographic of affluent buyers who could care less about German badging, performance, or high end appointments and just care about the bottom line: money.

While style wise you can deny hatchbacks, really I think they are the re-evolution of cars. Obviously Honda thinks so by bringing back the Civic hatch and offering hatches for the Si and Type R. Style wise I am not a huge fan but function wise having the ability to go from 13 cubic feet multiplying the space by "x" amount is hard to deny. I will say the VW GTI while not a luxury car, really gives entry luxury cars a run for their money. VW while not my taste has always been good at putting top notch materials, terrific fit and finish, and having performance models of their car available. The big problem is you have VW reliability/maintenance and you pay a premium for these luxury esque VW cars. This has changed a bit with the Civic being bench marked against the A3 thus producing a great subcompact car that IMO trumps a Golf.

For me another non luxury car company you pay a premium for is Mazda. Great driving cars with designs that play off Audi. They tend to be slightly more than a top loaded Honda in comparison and are a tick bellow a base Acura. For me while driving dynamics are crazy good on Mazda's they are a bit loud and secondly as douche as this sounds don't have the cache of a German luxury car or Acura. I mean let's us be honest there are a good deal of cars that are just as good if not better than an ILX that you can get for bellow $30k, but not many of them can be linked in that Premium/Luxury category.

For me a good car is a car you don't have to mod to look or perform like the car you actually want. What's the point of putting thousands of dollars into a car, just get the better car. I understand the modding concept in terms of creatively expressing yourself or maybe drenching out some performance but for the most part money wise it makes sense to just buy a better car.

Old 08-20-2016, 05:40 PM
5th Gear

Anyone in the states pick up a dynamic from Canada and register it in the US? With the exchange rate right now it has me checking it out.

I mean I love my ILX and its just a 2013 R20.

IMO the best option for an ILX would be a 2014 ILX Dynamic from Canada. It's a manual 6 speed ILX with all the tech features missing from the US 6 speed. It also has tuner support from Hondata for that year so you can tune it easily i you want.

Id even consider picking up OSUbeaver's ILX. It's a 13 or 14 6 speed but its a US model so its the Premium trim level. He's already supercharged it and it's on decent wheels. I think he wants just under $2,300 now which IMO would be a steal. Especially since he babies it.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by Joseph Park
For me a good car is a car you don't have to mod to look or perform like the car you actually want. What's the point of putting thousands of dollars into a car, just get the better car.
It is really simple actually. It's a hobby. Regardless if I have a $30,000 car or a $90,000 car. I'm still modding it. A huge reason I opted for the ILX instead of waiting for the TLX, or swapping up when my lease was up, was because I would still want to mod the TLX only it would cost me much more on top of more expensive payments. If your car to you is just a commuter than it makes sense to dish out the most you can for a car and leave it as is. But for me, modding is a hobby. Easy as that.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Let me tell off the bat why I got the 2016 ILX. I was hoping my 2003 RSX-S to make it through another winter. Unfortunately around October of 2015, the car finally gave up. Had about 220k mileage on it. The car was beat. It would randomly not start but only a few struggle attempt starts that it would start. I think the alternator was about to go. I can also feel the clutch is about to go and I don't have the time and money to replace it. Well I do have money, just though it wasn't worth it anymore. So it was impulse buy. I looked at everything. But I like keeping it in the Honda family since I love how they drives. Looked at the Accord, the Civic. They all nice features but guess what turns me off. Every motherfucker from grandma, grandpa, teenager, weirdos, fuckers, pedo, you name it drives it. Every street I turn to I run into a Civic or an Accord. So it was down to the ILX and or TLX. The TLX is too big and bulky for my taste. So I got the 2016 ILX.

Cons: Headroom and legroom is a bitch. Get cramps after about and hour of driving. I can't think of any other negatives, everything else is good.
Pros: DCT DCT DCT, i was hesitant coming from a 6 speed manual. It aint no manual but my God, it's as good and closest to it. The suck part is, you can't shift when turning the wheel, the paddles goes around with it. They should have made it on the gear shifter. But now I"m used to it.
The drives, yes, it's smooooooooooooooooth, quiet, it does have that touch of luxury. It's quick for a 4 doors 200HP car. I actually think it's quicker than my RSX-S or maybe the car is just too smooth that it feels faster.
Finally, the appearance. So sexy, seeing it in person is just pure sexiness. The front and back, the sides not too much.

I would hope they would increase the legroom and headroom and this car would have been perfect. Other than that, am I'm happy. Hell yea, I'm the only one who have this car in my city and I live in a big city. So rare to run into another ILX. The TLX is more common. Would I get it again, maybe, hopefully Acura comes out another two door car and I be all over it.

Last edited by chillingrsx; 08-22-2016 at 11:20 PM.