bought 2.4 ilx over mk7 gti

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 12:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
bought 2.4 ilx over mk7 gti

Both are great cars. I drove both on multiple times on different days. I wanted a fun daily driver, no tracking no autocrossing. Room for car seats in the back for the kids.

GTI - new, updated technology, feels planted/solid, seats hug and bolster you more, clutch is light, better stereo, better handling, feels like a bmw for under $30k. I wished it reved out more. Engine note/sound is similar to the bmw's, and induction/intake noise. It's not a bad noise. Just not as good sounding (to me) as the ilx. I really wanted to like this car due to all the great reviews. STill a superb car, just not for me. And the manual is much more fun than DSG. Also since it's a more popular car - the forums have more activity and can get more help for the car.

ILX - comfortable soft seats, interior outdated (to be fixed in 2016), clutch and shifter is just too much fun. Reminds me of my seat time in an s2000. Fun to daily drive since the limits are lower, can push the limits more and feels more fun. In the gti driving 60mph feels like 40 since it's more refined - this is good for hwy driving when youre tired. But I wanted something that alerted my senses more on a daily basis. I do wish the 2016's with jewel lights etc came in a manual. IT's not a fast car, but a fun car. Think mx5 miata vs grand touring porsche. Very minimal rev hang if any. I was worried about the non sport tuned suspension, but so far for daily driving, it's fine. I'm sure when pushed, the suspension and steering may not keep up. Also wish there was more feel in the steering wheel. It's a car where the merits don't show on paper. And really needs a test drive to see where it shines.

I also tested the civic SI sedan. Being older i didn't like the red interior or exterior as much. Can definitely tell it's designed for a younger demographic. And for some reason the shifter feels different. More of a rifle action push to get into gear, took more deliberate effort. The ilx shifter was a better feel, more natural and smooth. Also clutch engagement was a lot higher off the floor (i prefer closer to the floor). REV hang - ruined the driving experience - heal toe and the rev's would lag and ruin the smooth shift (can eliminate rev hang via ecu tuning flashpro)

Granted I came from wrx and sti's so I was over the turbo speed sensation (throw you back in the seat) and missed the reving nature of naturally aspirated engines.

I picked up the ILX a few months back, but wanted to share my thoughts
Old 12-23-2014, 12:08 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
Congrats and welcome.

Suprised you didn't get a 2015 WRX. I also needed a back seat for the kids.

I had a MS3. Went to CT200H. Hated it. Then shopped new Civic Si Sedan Orange (didn't like the wing), New WRX (loved it), and new Accord Sport Manual.

I didn't want to spend so much money on the wrx to get all the creature comforts I wanted (HID, Nav, Moonroof which is a must for me).

Weirdly.... I ended up with TSX wagon (which wasn't on the list and doesnt' meet most of my criteria) LOL.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Welcome. Hope you enjoy your ilx!
Old 12-23-2014, 06:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 412 Likes on 194 Posts
Welcome and congrats. Great observations on both cars. Post pics of your ILX when you get the chance.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:17 PM
Intermediate

2012wagon - after 2 subarus, I wanted something different. Also dont like how most subaru dealerships assume you modded the car when something breaks and you bring it in for warranty.

usdmJON - thanks, like the way you modded yours

4cruizn - the man with the 500,000 miles Legend, that's ridiculous and so cool. glad to see your putting your ILX to good to use too

Old 12-24-2014, 06:41 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
That car looks great, congratulations.
The following users liked this post:
trexter (12-25-2014)
Old 12-27-2014, 09:30 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Sounds like you made a good choice, trexler. Congrats! I also really appreciate your comparison as I've been considering lately making the move from my 2013 Tech to a new GTI or, maybe, a GLI Jetta.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:47 PM
Intermediate

a move from the 2.0 ilx to gti/gli would probably be fun. Definitely fun getting into a sportier type of car (although i see you have the mr2). I did all my research on the gti and not gli since I wanted the sportier VW. although I prefer sedans over hatchbacks since sedans have a larger front to back trunk space. Hatchbacks allow larger vertical items but the actual front to back room is limited.

And the DSG works great on the gti if you shift the paddles yourself. If you leave it in automatic mode, the sport mode holds the gear too long (revs too high) and normal mode I think is ok (I didn't have it normal too long). And being a manual guy all my life, the manual version was more fun than dsg. But nothing wrong with dsg.
Flightwriter (12-29-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 02:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by trexter
a move from the 2.0 ilx to gti/gli would probably be fun. Definitely fun getting into a sportier type of car (although i see you have the mr2). I did all my research on the gti and not gli since I wanted the sportier VW. although I prefer sedans over hatchbacks since sedans have a larger front to back trunk space. Hatchbacks allow larger vertical items but the actual front to back room is limited.

And the DSG works great on the gti if you shift the paddles yourself. If you leave it in automatic mode, the sport mode holds the gear too long (revs too high) and normal mode I think is ok (I didn't have it normal too long). And being a manual guy all my life, the manual version was more fun than dsg. But nothing wrong with dsg.
Thanks again, trexter. I'd actually be trading both cars in for one, since the MR2 spends most of its time in an expensive storage unit. I've narrowed my focus to a GLI SEL with the manual.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:05 PM
Intermediate

^^I think the GLI will be very enjoyable. You probably already know about VWvortex. It's a good forum. One thing to consider (and you may already know too), I believe the GLI still has the older interior from previous years whereas the MK7 GTI has been revamped with brand new interior and exterior and driving dynamics compared to previous year GTI's.
Old 01-01-2015, 01:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by trexter
^^I think the GLI will be very enjoyable. You probably already know about VWvortex. It's a good forum. One thing to consider (and you may already know too), I believe the GLI still has the older interior from previous years whereas the MK7 GTI has been revamped with brand new interior and exterior and driving dynamics compared to previous year GTI's.
Yes, the Jettas are still on the old platform while the Golf has migrated to MQB. So far I've only sat in the GLI - the test drive is on Saturday - so I haven't really formed an impression yet, though I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of room and the apparent quality of the materials. Nice to see VW move away from the hard plastics that defined the U.S. market 2011 Jetta (though the 2012 and above GLI always had softer plastics and the IRS in back.)
Old 01-03-2015, 06:56 PM
Intermediate

sounds like you know your car market well. Good luck in whichever vehicle you decide on. Fun times
Old 01-06-2015, 03:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Welcome and congrats. While the MK7 GTI is easier to mod and much more is available we can help you with the ILX as well if you're interested.
trexter (01-07-2015)
Old 01-13-2015, 10:53 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Congrats you won't regret the purchase, I've had my '13 2.4 premium just over a yr and I still run to redline daily, I can't get enough of this motor and transmission.... Happy motoring
Old 01-14-2015, 10:38 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by duce2k
Congrats you won't regret the purchase, I've had my '13 2.4 premium just over a yr and I still run to redline daily, I can't get enough of this motor and transmission.... Happy motoring
No regrets yet. Yes the transmission is just great. Pedal placement/spacing all great. steering wheel is even heavier weighted (although no feedback) than wrx/sti (up to MY'14) and evo's. Reviews say this car is loud/road noise. But to me that makes it fun b/c i can hear the engine etc. I've driven bmw's and it's too quiet except for the induction noise from engine (which didnt excite me as much)
Old 01-14-2015, 02:13 PM
Instructor

Update (I don't want to thread hijack, I'll keep it brief) - I test drove the Jetta and liked it enough to get to some numbers from the dealer, but I didn't fall in love with it. We'll see how good the deal is, but I'm leaning towards keeping the ILX. It felt nice to drive it home after the test drive... just sloooow, LOL.
trexter (01-14-2015)