Old 10-13-2017, 12:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
Anybody have buyer's remorse?

https://www.cheatsheet.com/automobil...ought.html/11/
Old 10-13-2017, 12:48 PM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
I don't own an ILX but I test drove the 2.4L 6MT and I think if I owned that car I'd be pretty happy, assuming I paid <$20K for it used. It's a fun peppy little car. It pretty much has the drivetrain of the TSX, which I owned and loved. But the 2.0, not so sure......

If I bought it new then yes. But if I bought any car new I'd probably have buyers remorse. Never bought a new car, and even when I'm worth a cool million I probably wont.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:55 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by losiglow
I don't own an ILX but I test drove the 2.4L 6MT and I think if I owned that car I'd be pretty happy, assuming I paid <$20K for it used. It's a fun peppy little car. It pretty much has the drivetrain of the TSX, which I owned and loved. But the 2.0, not so sure......

If I bought it new then yes. But if I bought any car new I'd probably have buyers remorse. Never bought a new car, and even when I'm worth a cool million I probably wont.
I think that's the problem.

people who buy NEW are angry.
there are people who bought the new NSX for $180-200k....Acura recently dropped $30k off the price...those owners are PISSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GREAT for the people who buy used cars.
all in all, simple economics is at play.

simply no one wants an Acura today.
we all want the Acura used, to get the better VALUE
Which means, TODAY brand new Acura's arent worth the value like they used to be.
The following users liked this post:
losiglow (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 01:03 PM
Drifting

The only reason I've stuck with them is because all I want right now is a relatively reliable vehicle with a bit of sportiness and tech on a budget. I'm plenty happy with the 4G but I really don't see myself in an Acura in a few years when I hand it down. Well, unless they decide they want to offer a ballsy TLX Type-S or other sedan with 350hp+ and a 6MT. But we all know the chance of that happening is pretty much nil.
justnspace (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 01:09 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I dont have any schooling and the career that I am in is dwindling...(oil and gas)
basically, I'm stuck making $40-60k for right now.
at the low end, I cannot afford a $30K brand new car, which basically is the range of the ILX and TLX are in.
FUCK YES, I would be mad if i spent MOST of my income on an "okay general appliance" car. and I bet MOST of the people buying new are in my position, or a little bit better. just a poor decision to buy a $30-35k car

Last edited by justnspace; 10-13-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
I went to the the source link of the story: Consumer Reports. There I found Acura gets a double hit in the least satisfying section with 41% of buyers voting not to buy the ILX again, and with 50% of buyers voting not to buy the RLX again. Ouch!!
Old 10-13-2017, 05:33 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I’m very happy with the cars, I’ve owned the 03 and the 17 and not a single problem with both.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:52 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by WheelMcCoy
I went to the the source link of the story: Consumer Reports. There I found Acura gets a double hit in the least satisfying section with 41% of buyers voting not to buy the ILX again, and with 50% of buyers voting not to buy the RLX again. Ouch!!
I was surprised to see ILx as #1 and RLX as #5 of most disappointed owners ...
Old 10-15-2017, 12:08 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts
It doesn't surprise me on some of the disappointment on the 2nd generation of ILX. I wanted to buy a new car and would have gotten the 2016 (sorry guys... I am not rolling in a lotta cash, but I could afford a new one) but I wanted the manual as Honda has one of the best gear boxes out there (the only gear box I have tried better than my ILX is the s2000, and the difference is nominal = just a little shorter on the shifts) ! However that being said, if I did buy a new car and had the issues some owners are having with the dual clutch transmission, then yeah I would have been pissed. A little road noise doesn't bother me, but constant transmission issues is not acceptable.

Honestly the styling of the ILX and how much space is inside is pretty decent, plus you get ok value for your money. But Honda/Acura fix that damn transmission issues you got going on, or bring back the stick shift and throw in the Type R turbo and I will trade up!

So to answer the question, for me the answer is: A resounding NO!!! I love my car it is hands down one of the best and most fun vehicles I have ever driven (IMO In its class nothing comes close BMW, Audi, VW, Subaru, Mistsubishi, Ford, Chevy,Toyota/Lexus, etc all inclusive I have personally driven lots of vehicles). Even if I had come into a whole pile of money, I would keep my car (of course maybe add a couple more small mods, and pick up other vehicles as well!). Of course mine is a 2013 and I would like some features that newer generations have, but as a daily driver this car is keeper!
Old 10-15-2017, 08:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
I don't really understand "buyer's remorse." I knew exactly what I was buying. And the 2016+ ILX is not 2nd gen, BTW. It's still 1st gen MMC. It seems only a small percentage of people had issue with the 8DCT and now there's a TSB out that seems to fix it.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
I think that's the problem.

people who buy NEW are angry.
there are people who bought the new NSX for $180-200k....Acura recently dropped $30k off the price...those owners are PISSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GREAT for the people who buy used cars.
all in all, simple economics is at play.

simply no one wants an Acura today.
we all want the Acura used, to get the better VALUE
Which means, TODAY brand new Acura's arent worth the value like they used to be.
why would the owners be pissed? They paid to be first, not to get a great deal. Did anyone really think that discounts wouldn't show up eventually? I highly doubt it. The NSX is not in the realm of super desirable cars that hold value forever, even before they're sold. As such, price will go down.

I dont think people expected 30k off, but really, discounts are always available.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ten months into ownership and the only thing I regret is not buying a car with more aftermarket support. I paid less than half of MSRP and couldn't imagine paying almost $30,000 for this car. But at 15k, I'm happy.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:29 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by schen72
I don't really understand "buyer's remorse." I knew exactly what I was buying. And the 2016+ ILX is not 2nd gen, BTW. It's still 1st gen MMC. It seems only a small percentage of people had issue with the 8DCT and now there's a TSB out that seems to fix it.
Same thing surprised me. Did the owners of the RLX and ILX, both of which made the top 5 list, didn't the owners research the car before buying? That is a lot of $$$$ buyers remorse.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:56 PM
Drifting

In the end, any purchase can cause buyers remorse if the buyer doesn't feel they got a good value, or shouldn't have spent the money - although that's a different matter. I could say I have buyers remorse on my '12 TL because it had some pretty major engine problems which cost me about $3000 after all was said and done. But I'm not, because the majority of wear and tear on the car was due to me doing Uber full time for about 8 months, in which time I made about $30,000, which I pocketed since I was on severance from my previous employer at the time. Spending 10% of that on repairs makes sense. That's an odd situation but if you want to quantify it, look at the cost of ownership vs. other vehicles in its class. Honda and Toyota products will usually come out better than the competition.

The complicated part comes in aesthetics and feel, which is subjective and difficult to put a price on. Unfortunately, it's often too late by the time you really figure out if you like the feel of a car or not. First impressions at the car lot or dealer don't always stick in the long term. Lucking the TL has grown on me and I enjoy it much more than when I first bought it, thanks to some of the mods which at least put it on the same level as my old 3G That hasn't been the case for all vehicles I own. Every time I drive my wife's Pilot I hate it more and more.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TWELVE AM
Ten months into ownership and the only thing I regret is not buying a car with more aftermarket support. I paid less than half of MSRP and couldn't imagine paying almost $30,000 for this car. But at 15k, I'm happy.
Its cousin, the Civic, likely has a lot more aftermarket support. But I'm in a very different boat in that I'm likely significantly older than you, so aftermarket means nothing to me. I keep my cars bone stock and I buy them new.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012wagon
Same thing surprised me. Did the owners of the RLX and ILX, both of which made the top 5 list, didn't the owners research the car before buying? That is a lot of $$$$ buyers remorse.
I can speak for the RLX, after having leased a 2014 Advanced for 3-years and putting 60k miles on it. The problem is not that we didn't do our research. The problem is the car didn't live up to anywhere near the expectations of what it was marketed to be, nor did the build quality live up to anywhere near being a $63k flagship vehicle. Test driving a car for 20-30min is in no way to determine what the long term build quality is of a car. Even if I had borrowed a loaner for a weekend, it still would have in no way allowed the opportunity for all the issues that the RLX had to become apparent.

Many of the issues of the RLX didn't make themselves apparent until you had an opportunity to drive the vehicle under different road conditions and/or had the car long enough to start seeing the issues appear one after another after another. I think the last count I did was over 40+ TSB's for the RLX, some of which still apply even to the 2017 models. Some of which (actually many of which) were flat out embarassing for a vehicle of it's class. It's ridiculous. IMO (and in my experience) Acura deserves every bit of the bad press and buyer's remorse they got on the RLX for doing an absolutely piss poor job on what was supposed to be their flagship vehicle, the best of their best. When it actually represented the worst of their worst. My ILX is built better than my 2014 RLX.

The only reason I'm in an ILX is because it was the least expensive Acura vehicle I could get into taking advantage of the lease loyalty program and avoid the huge mileage overages I had on the RLX. That said, I love my ILX, but not enough to make it a slam dunk decision for me to stay with the brand after my ILX lease is up. I'm still likely moving to Audi, unless Acura can prove they can stay the course on their new direction and product improvements, and really up the ante in 2019...
losiglow (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 04:28 PM
Safety Car

That makes sense

I didn’t realize the poor quality of the rlx

Originally Posted by holografique
I can speak for the RLX, after having leased a 2014 Advanced for 3-years and putting 60k miles on it. The problem is not that we didn't do our research. The problem is the car didn't live up to anywhere near the expectations of what it was marketed to be, nor did the build quality live up to anywhere near being a $63k flagship vehicle. Test driving a car for 20-30min is in no way to determine what the long term build quality is of a car. Even if I had borrowed a loaner for a weekend, it still would have in no way allowed the opportunity for all the issues that the RLX had to become apparent.

Many of the issues of the RLX didn't make themselves apparent until you had an opportunity to drive the vehicle under different road conditions and/or had the car long enough to start seeing the issues appear one after another after another. I think the last count I did was over 40+ TSB's for the RLX, some of which still apply even to the 2017 models. Some of which (actually many of which) were flat out embarassing for a vehicle of it's class. It's ridiculous. IMO (and in my experience) Acura deserves every bit of the bad press and buyer's remorse they got on the RLX for doing an absolutely piss poor job on what was supposed to be their flagship vehicle, the best of their best. When it actually represented the worst of their worst. My ILX is built better than my 2014 RLX.

The only reason I'm in an ILX is because it was the least expensive Acura vehicle I could get into taking advantage of the lease loyalty program and avoid the huge mileage overages I had on the RLX. That said, I love my ILX, but not enough to make it a slam dunk decision for me to stay with the brand after my ILX lease is up. I'm still likely moving to Audi, unless Acura can prove they can stay the course on their new direction and product improvements, and really up the ante in 2019...
Old 10-16-2017, 08:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by holografique

Audis cost a lot more if you get a similar feature set. For what the ILX cost, it seems very fair to me. However, I would have gladly paid an extra $1k for a nicer interior.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 205 Likes on 173 Posts
No remorse at all, hoping to see 500,000 miles on it. Got the transmission program flash today, so smooth for a dual clutch.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:10 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DaIll1
No remorse at all, hoping to see 500,000 miles on it. Got the transmission program flash today, so smooth for a dual clutch.
Well wishes on your journey
Old 10-23-2017, 07:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 205 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012wagon
Well wishes on your journey
When I ordered my oil from BND I said I'd like to see 300k. His reply was, "Why not 500K?" Yep, custom blended for DI and all.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:11 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DaIll1
When I ordered my oil from BND I said I'd like to see 300k. His reply was, "Why not 500K?" Yep, custom blended for DI and all.
I know Tacomas with 500-900K miles. I know there is the AZ and Idaho Acura guy with 500K Acuras.

With maintenance, all is possible
Old 10-25-2017, 11:59 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
None at all. I wanted a semi-upscale small sedan with leather, a moonroof, five-spoke wheels, and a stickshift, and that's exactly what I got.