6 speed manuals - TSX vs ILX vs Civic - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

6 speed manuals - TSX vs ILX vs Civic

Old 03-13-2019, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

Question 6 speed manuals - TSX vs ILX vs Civic

Hello all. I'd like to see everyone's comparison and thoughts among these 3 vehicles. As for me, I used to own a 2013 ILX 6 speed when it came out, and currently own two 2004-2008 TSX 6 speeds. I've never driven the current gen civics, but keep hearing the civic and ilx is pretty much the same car...

When I owned the ILX, I had came from a 6 speed 04-08 TL (base). I test drove a 6 speed 2013 TSX special edition, but felt like the ILX was more nimble/quicker, and not as bulky (it felt similar in size to the 04-08 TL), so I ended up with the ILX. After about 2 years, I got bored with the ILX and went back to a 6 speed 04-08 TL.

Fast forward another few years, I started getting bored of the TL, went to a TL Type S, but then hated the poor gas mileage and lack of maneuverability. Went to an S2000, but lacked the roomyness and comfort of a sedan LOL. So then here I am, now owning 2 TSX (1st gen), which I feel is like the compromise between the TL and a 2 door. It's quick for a 4 cylinder, good/decent gas mileage, easy to mod w/ lots of aftermarket support, and plenty of parts available. The motor has been tried and proven, almost bulletproof.

For me, it doesn't make sense to buy a new ILX because they don't have 6 speeds available (I still enjoy the tactile feedback of shifting and being engaged with the car). The current gen civics seem like a very viable option to me, because they are starting to look better, but I'm not a fan of the exterior as much as the ILX. See my problem here? lol.

What are your thoughts or experiences with these cars??
Old 03-14-2019, 09:02 AM
Registered Member

I though my '06 TL 6MT was great. Handling wasn't the best but coils completely transformed it. Dropping a bit of weight with the "TL Diet" helped a lot too in terms of body weight and roll.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by losiglow View Post
I though my '06 TL 6MT was great. Handling wasn't the best but coils completely transformed it. Dropping a bit of weight with the "TL Diet" helped a lot too in terms of body weight and roll.
I did enjoy the comfort of the TL and the V6 power, but even when I had TEIN coilovers, my turning radius problem still wasn't solved lol. I live in socal, so the streets are tight and sometimes not having to do a 3 point u-turn saves stress. plus, i was only getting like 21ish mpg mixed with the TL...
Old 03-14-2019, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

I had an 06 TSX 6MT before I bought my 12 TL SH-AWD 6MT and yes, I agree that the MPGs suffer in the TL (3.7). But that's also cause my foot got a little heavier after getting the 4G lol. Both are fun cars to drive. Out of the 3 that you are deciding between, I would stick with the 1G TSX 6MT or even a 2G TSX 6MT. Personally not a fan of the ILX or Civic.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

I live in Utah where things are relatively spread out and the roads are pretty wide. Downtown is an exception but I rarely drove it downtown. So I didn't really notice the turn radius. But if that's a factor then yeah, I can see how something with a 4cyl may be more attractive.

I don't have experience with the ILX or Civic but I definitely enjoyed my TSX. It was only an auto but still a very fun and nimble little car. I test drove a 2G TSX with the 6MT but decided on the 4G TL. Wanted more torque and something a little larger for the family

On the turning radius note however, when you need to make a sharp turn just crank it then pull the e-brake to straighten out.
Old Today, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

I own an 04 6MT TSX and have driven a 13 6MT ILX (my brother's). I've been looking for a replacement for our TSX for quite a while. I did test-drive both the new civic hatchback sport manual and the new accord 2.0T touring (dealer did not have a manual).

The main difference for me with these cars is NA vs turbo. I personally love the high-revving nature of the K24 in the TSX and ILX. The new 1.5T is great in day-to-day driving but falls flat when pushed and revved-up. The turbo lag and rev hang are quite annoying when coming from the K24. I feel the new 2.0T is much better (not only more powerful but also more playful). I'm curious about what they did with the engine in the Si (1.5T) but I don't think they changed much.

If you want the 2.0T, there is the accord but I feel it's a very big car and thus a less enjoyable driver's car. The interior is great though if you want comfort.
There's also the type R but I just could not own a car that looks like it comes from a Fast and Furious 2 set.

In terms of quality, the ILX is a bit nicer than a Civic Touring but, depending on how much you value leather seating and a good stereo, the base interior is a good step below the ILX.

You could look at a used accord v6 coupe manual (never drove it but it should be good). I personally have been looking into a used Lexus IS 350.