2016 vs 2013 ILX

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 08:24 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 vs 2013 ILX

I've been an owner of a 2013 ILX for coming up on four years now. I dropped mine off at the dealer to have some work done and got a '16 ILX with 2000 miles on the odo as a loaner. I know I'm kind of late to the party, but here's my assessment of real world differences between the cars (in case someone out there is considering buying used, and wondering '16 vs an earlier model--the '13-'15 were all more or less the same).

I can't speak as to the reliability or gas mileage of the new version, but the '16 is definitely a better car. I own the 2.4 6spd manual and if I had to do it all over again I'd still get the '16 with the auto. They fixed just about every little problem the '13 had. In comparison with the '13, the '16 has: power passenger seat, memory driver's seat, snazzy suede seat cover (the '13 leather quality is disappointing), larger screen, significantly reduced road noise, significantly reduced engine noise, improved cornering composure, improved braking, nicer ride. Basically, it's what the ILX should have been all long--a small, nimble luxury car with the composure of a larger car. The dual-clutch tranny is very nice. I've been driving nothing but manuals for 19 years now, but could definitely see myself in the '16 ILX despite the lack of a manual option.

My frugality will keep me in my '13 (a car I really do enjoy overall) until it falls apart, but man did Acura hit the nail on the head this time. No more free loaners for me--could end up being VERY expensive.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:38 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
great to hear such a good review! I've heard different stories on how much sound deadening has improved over the 13-15 models. Some say it has and some say it's not noticeable. Personally I still feel my my 16 ilx is a bit louder than my old 07 TL, but I don't really mind since the engine and quick shifts sound great
Old 07-19-2016, 09:51 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I literally got out of my '13 and got right into the '16 and then later out of the '16 and back into my '13. It's definitely a noticeable improvement taking it from "what were they thinking?" to, in my opinion, "perfect." You can still hear the engine a bit (especially when it revs) but I like hearing my engine. It's much more subdued at lower RPMs and less buzzy-sounding overall. The road noise, as well, is much more distant. Overall, the noise levels are much more befitting a luxury car, as it had been loud almost be economy car standards (the noise was my biggest gripe--everything else is in the "nice to have" category).
Old 07-20-2016, 03:32 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I seriously looked at a 2013 when it came out hoping it would be a mini TSX but with more modern tech but was sadly let down. Really the 2013 model put a disgusting taste in my mouth about Acura for a while since they clearly did very little if anything to differentiate the Civic from the 2013. The manual performance wise was a nice step up but was tragically flawed because it only came as a Premium trim and there was no Automatic/DCT transmission for the other 98% or so customer who didn't want or couldn't drive a manual.

Looks wise nothing dramatic was done for 2016 but the little nuances that did change have made the 2013 look even more Civic like. Driving wise the 2013 simply had no balls and to call this car an Acura let a lone luxury car was baffling. Additionally the lack of leather on the base trim, lack of powered passenger seats, and too much hard plastics made the car feel cheap and a car luxury wise that was clearly a step bellow the TSX.

For everyone who cries about not having the manual just remember this is pretty normal in any segment. Additionally the 8 speed DCT is simply amazing while providing the fuel economy of what you got in the 2013 base model (actually slightly better), yet having a 0-60 of 6.25 seconds versus the 2013 9.2. Even compared to the 2013 manual which did 6.7 and got 22/31 the 2016 ILX gets 25/36. Also there are tweaks like AcuraWatch safety, on demand multi use display, Milano leather, active noise cancellation, A-Spec packages, Jewel eye headlights, memory seats, GPS climate control, Blind spot awareness, AcuraLink Navigation iPhone compatible for Premium. Features alone on a 2016 Premium compared to a 2013 Premium are huge upgrades

YET, the 2016 is in this weird limbo. It lacks some substantial features found in a 2016 Civic Touring and performance wise could greatly benefit from the next gen Si or Type R engines.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:53 PM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
^ I agree.. Someone that has owned a 1st Gen TSX would be disappointed if going for the 13 ILX. But that's my opinion. If your coming from an Integra, different story, huge upgrade. Not bad for Acura listening and made huge improvements with the mid-year refresh. Hardly see powertrain upgrades during a mid-year refresh.

Just a guess, the reason for hiding the tail pipes is to match the Earth Dreams name.

My 2000 GSR and 2006 TSX had a 60/40 rear folding seats, why not the ILX.

Last edited by nothome17; 07-20-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by Joseph Park
I seriously looked at a 2013 when it came out hoping it would be a mini TSX but with more modern tech but was sadly let down. Really the 2013 model put a disgusting taste in my mouth about Acura for a while since they clearly did very little if anything to differentiate the Civic from the 2013. The manual performance wise was a nice step up but was tragically flawed because it only came as a Premium trim and there was no Automatic/DCT transmission for the other 98% or so customer who didn't want or couldn't drive a manual.

Looks wise nothing dramatic was done for 2016 but the little nuances that did change have made the 2013 look even more Civic like. Driving wise the 2013 simply had no balls and to call this car an Acura let a lone luxury car was baffling. Additionally the lack of leather on the base trim, lack of powered passenger seats, and too much hard plastics made the car feel cheap and a car luxury wise that was clearly a step bellow the TSX.

For everyone who cries about not having the manual just remember this is pretty normal in any segment. Additionally the 8 speed DCT is simply amazing while providing the fuel economy of what you got in the 2013 base model (actually slightly better), yet having a 0-60 of 6.25 seconds versus the 2013 9.2. Even compared to the 2013 manual which did 6.7 and got 22/31 the 2016 ILX gets 25/36. Also there are tweaks like AcuraWatch safety, on demand multi use display, Milano leather, active noise cancellation, A-Spec packages, Jewel eye headlights, memory seats, GPS climate control, Blind spot awareness, AcuraLink Navigation iPhone compatible for Premium. Features alone on a 2016 Premium compared to a 2013 Premium are huge upgrades

YET, the 2016 is in this weird limbo. It lacks some substantial features found in a 2016 Civic Touring and performance wise could greatly benefit from the next gen Si or Type R engines.
I find it super interesting how much opinions can vary. While I do agree with must of what you said, just not to the extend you've said it. While I feel the ILX should have been closer power wise to the TSX, I was upset it was not but still happy with how my 2013 R20 ILX performance in comparison to the Civic it is modeled after and the 1994 Integra I came from.

Comparing the 2013 2.4 to a Civic Si will wont leave you very excited. So unless you love the look of the ILX over the Civic you may as well go Si.

But if you compare the R series ILX to the R series Civic you will see a much larger performance jump. Obviously the ILX R series is bored out a bit larger which results in the larger numbers. Also materiels used and tech upgrades from the best R series Civic to the R series ILX tech shows even further improvements you wont see when comparing the K series ILX to the K series Civic.

Looks wise is where you and my opinion greatly differ. I find the civic ugly as fuck. No joke. IMO frankly the 9th gen civic was nice. I think the 10th looks hideously like a transformer. Then aside from the 9th I think they go uglier as the years went on. My favorites being the 6th and 9th gen Civics.

As for comparing the ILX to Civic looks wise. I feel the new 2016 ILX looks more like the Civic than my 2013 does. IMO the new front fog light area and the new rear bumpers looks literally torn off a civic and molded to the ILX. The 2013 has fogs that dont look similar to anything else and the rear bumper lacks any features that look similar to the civic.

Comparing 2013 to 2016 ILX IMO the 2016 looks like a clothing iron with how far the front sticks out and slopes. But its only the right angle that makes it look like that.

LOL what has been seen can never be unseen!

Personally with the 2016 I could not own one without it being the Aspec to clean up the front and rear. As well though, I find the Aspec to be a joke as it got zero performance upgrades over the non aspec which is extremely upsetting. Makes me smirk every time someone boasts about a aspec ILX that doesnt have the body kit. They literally paid a butt ton more fore different color options, some wheels I already find ugly, and a spoiler I think. Maybe a couple other small adds ons that IMO dont equate to a real aspec trim.

In the end, anyone wanting an ILX but wants something that can perform I suggest getting a 2015 (I think 15... maybe 14) ILX Dynamic. The Dynamics are offered in China and Canada only. They are the 2.4 ILX with tech package that was never released in the US. I say it may be the 2014 because Im not sure if Hondata supports the 2015 but I know it supports the 13-14. This way you have a sweet looking ILX in true manual with real tuning support. Only thing its missing are the sexy jewel eyes. But when I learned not all the jewels light up unless your high beams are on I quickly stopped caring.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:23 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by usdmJON
I find it super interesting how much opinions can vary. While I do agree with must of what you said, just not to the extend you've said it. While I feel the ILX should have been closer power wise to the TSX, I was upset it was not but still happy with how my 2013 R20 ILX performance in comparison to the Civic it is modeled after and the 1994 Integra I came from.

Comparing the 2013 2.4 to a Civic Si will wont leave you very excited. So unless you love the look of the ILX over the Civic you may as well go Si.

But if you compare the R series ILX to the R series Civic you will see a much larger performance jump. Obviously the ILX R series is bored out a bit larger which results in the larger numbers. Also materiels used and tech upgrades from the best R series Civic to the R series ILX tech shows even further improvements you wont see when comparing the K series ILX to the K series Civic.

Looks wise is where you and my opinion greatly differ. I find the civic ugly as fuck. No joke. IMO frankly the 9th gen civic was nice. I think the 10th looks hideously like a transformer. Then aside from the 9th I think they go uglier as the years went on. My favorites being the 6th and 9th gen Civics.

As for comparing the ILX to Civic looks wise. I feel the new 2016 ILX looks more like the Civic than my 2013 does. IMO the new front fog light area and the new rear bumpers looks literally torn off a civic and molded to the ILX. The 2013 has fogs that dont look similar to anything else and the rear bumper lacks any features that look similar to the civic.

Comparing 2013 to 2016 ILX IMO the 2016 looks like a clothing iron with how far the front sticks out and slopes. But its only the right angle that makes it look like that.

LOL what has been seen can never be unseen!

Personally with the 2016 I could not own one without it being the Aspec to clean up the front and rear. As well though, I find the Aspec to be a joke as it got zero performance upgrades over the non aspec which is extremely upsetting. Makes me smirk every time someone boasts about a aspec ILX that doesnt have the body kit. They literally paid a butt ton more fore different color options, some wheels I already find ugly, and a spoiler I think. Maybe a couple other small adds ons that IMO dont equate to a real aspec trim.

In the end, anyone wanting an ILX but wants something that can perform I suggest getting a 2015 (I think 15... maybe 14) ILX Dynamic. The Dynamics are offered in China and Canada only. They are the 2.4 ILX with tech package that was never released in the US. I say it may be the 2014 because Im not sure if Hondata supports the 2015 but I know it supports the 13-14. This way you have a sweet looking ILX in true manual with real tuning support. Only thing its missing are the sexy jewel eyes. But when I learned not all the jewels light up unless your high beams are on I quickly stopped caring.

Looks are defiantly subjective but you have a ton of body mods and accessories that do make the car look better but are NOTHING like the 2013 model. At least with the 2016 has a bit more character for better or worse.

Call me crazy the 10th gen Civics taillights are crazy sexy and belong on an Acura. I am not a huge fan of the slab of chrome on the front or how the back pillars make the Civic make the car look like a hatch but without being one or a Cross Tour.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
I dislike the entire 10th gen. Too aggressive IMO.

And yes I have body mods but I thought this before I bought the car.