2016 Taillights on 2013-2015 Body?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 04:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 Taillights on 2013-2015 Body?

Does any one have an idea if it would be a straight swap? Seems like only the rear harness in the trunk and taillights would be needed. I really like the style of the rear tail lights and deciding whether to do a swap or not.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by azn1art
Does any one have an idea if it would be a straight swap? Seems like only the rear harness in the trunk and taillights would be needed. I really like the style of the rear tail lights and deciding whether to do a swap or not.
No one knows. No one is willing to try.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
It's interesting that the community in general is so quiet about the ILX. Perhaps it's not a very exciting car? Also, the lack of complaints about the car seems to bode well for it's reliability. The new '16 tail lights are indeed pretty slick as they are LED (except for the turn signals). If it was plug and play, I imagine a lot of owners would want to swap.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by schen72
It's interesting that the community in general is so quiet about the ILX. Perhaps it's not a very exciting car? Also, the lack of complaints about the car seems to bode well for it's reliability. The new '16 tail lights are indeed pretty slick as they are LED (except for the turn signals). If it was plug and play, I imagine a lot of owners would want to swap.
These forums dont exactly draw in the tuners.
Currently there are 4 ILXs on bags that i know of. 2 where on pretty legit wheels. None care to post or even make an account here.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by usdmJON
These forums dont exactly draw in the tuners.
Currently there are 4 ILXs on bags that i know of. 2 where on pretty legit wheels. None care to post or even make an account here.
I'm not a tuner type of guy (too old for that) as all my cars are bone stock. I mostly scan these forums for problems people are having with their cars and how to resolve them. But the lack of posts about car issues hopefully indicates these cars are pretty reliable.

The only mods I've done (in the entire week I've owned the car) is window tints and WeatherTech mats.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Do ILX owners hang out on a different forum? Like TOV or something?
Old 03-08-2016, 03:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Do ILX owners hang out on a different forum? Like TOV or something?
No. They just dont get on forums at all. 2 female owners on bags now. One on Work Rezax used to be on klutch wheels. The other female is on some fake multipiece wheels. I posted her blue 2016 ilx before.

Some dude who was modding a TL. Had it on klutch wheels as well and i think the TL was bagged. Puddle lights, two tone hood. It was meh. I think he sold the TL and bagged an ILX and put the same klutch wheels on it.
There are a couple others that dont have a lot done. I believe one other just supercharged his while another sits lowered on BBS wheels.
Ive at one point or another mentioned acurazine but they dont care.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:42 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 71 Posts
As far as the '16 Lights on a 13-15.

I want to say they are PnP.

So long as the shape is the same and they will fit into your rear fender+bumpers...

But as far as electronics go, each tail light section actually plugs in with a 7443 Style plug. It goes from OEM Harness with 7443 end, into plug 7443-Tail Light, Taillight breaks up wires internally.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:41 PM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
I'm planning on trying it sometime later this year. But as far as this forums goes, its pretty dead so I dont go on here much either. You have better luck on IG lol
Old 04-23-2016, 03:21 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts
Hello All,
I am new to this forum and I am really interested in this mod myself. I have checked out the spec sheets at the dealerships for the 2013-2015 tail lights and the 2016. It would seem that it might work, however I don't believe it would be a plug and play, as some parts look slightly off. It might require a little wiring harness adjustments.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:28 AM
Instructor

I believe the parts(tail light assembly) will actual fit, however there may be an issue with the LED tube lighting on the trunk lid. As far as I can tell the previous gen does not have lighting on the trunk lid except for the reverse light where as the LED tube light goes across the tail lights and the trunk! Also the 2016 has an additional yellow corner marker light which is not present on the previous gen.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:33 AM
Instructor

I live in Canada and the parts would cost approx. $1,300 to purchase. There is no parts available at any pick and pulls to get a used one from a write off either, so I am a little apprehensive to try it?
Old 04-23-2016, 10:08 AM
Intermediate

Exclamation

An update to the rear taillights.
I managed to get my hands on a set of slightly used 2016 tail lights for a pretty good deal. They bolt right up to the body no problem. The outer tail light only has two connectors (one for the parking/brake lights and the other is the turn signal) which means they are plug-and-play. The taillight itself breaks up the brake light and the parking light within the housing so there is no third connector. The only main difference is the turn signal uses different socket/bulb than the Pre-MMC but the part that connect to the harness is the same.

For the trunk light though. Chrifff is correct. Since the Pre-MMC ILX doesn't have any inner lights, there would be have to be a slight modification to the rear harness. I took a look at the new harness for the 2016 model and the main connector is bigger and longer. Maybe the bigger connector is for the extra wiring for the AcuraWatch tech and all. This rules out the use of the 2016 harness on our cars. However, I made a custom harness for the inner lights that taps into the parking lights and the ground wires on the rear harness.

I will post of pics when I get the chance to take some. The weather isn't playing nice today.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:34 AM
Instructor

Wow that sounds very promising. I'm curious to see if you get it to work. Looking forward to seeing the pictures. I actually like the previous generation lines and styling a bit better, however I like the rear tail lights on the 2016.i think it would like pretty sweet if done right!

Thanks for being the first to post some progress azn 1 art!
Old 04-23-2016, 10:08 PM
Intermediate

Here's some quick crappy iPhone pics of the tail lights installed.
There was a storm here today so that's why my car is a bit dirty so my apologies.
I'm gonna take some betters pictures with the DSLR when i get the car washed on Monday.

The following 5 users liked this post by azn1art:
4cruizn (05-11-2016), Curious3GTL (04-29-2016), JMS71585 (05-04-2016), silverTL6 (04-30-2016), Thmanx (04-24-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 09:03 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks great! Nice work!
Old 04-25-2016, 12:21 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
That looks excellent!
Old 04-26-2016, 10:31 PM
Instructor

Wow it looks great. Congrats on making it work! I am curious on how you manged the work around on the tail lights. Can you provide some details and pics.... PLEASE!!!
Old 04-27-2016, 02:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Looks very nice! The MMC tails are a huge upgrade over the old ones.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
I wanted to add the Acura OEM Back Up Sensors that are available on the 2016, to my 2013 2.4. I'm not that into a lot of the tech packages on cars, not until the day that they are mostly touch screen and voice control on a really big screen, until then I prefer using my phone. However , this type of tech I can really dig. I drove cars in Japan with this feature, it really improves safety. Little kids are hard to see, sometimes even with a backup camera, that's my main concern.

I went to Acura to ask about it... they said its POSSIBLE but depends how different the harness is. Since you guys are talking about the harness... Is anyone here knowledgeable enough to know if it would be possible to hook it up to my 2013 2.4?

I'm also in the process right now of ordering the Canadian Domestic Market OEM Hood Edge Deflector. International Money Order to a Canadian Acura Dealer. I already ordered the 2016 OEM Chrome (YEA) Mirror Covers from an ebay dealer, they are in route. Meant to do it way sooner, some BS happened... I have seen some awesome lights mods on here, I wasn't really into modding that stuff before. I did get HID kits for the fogs, and it's much, much brighter. How is the brightness of these newer tail lights? I do think they look nicer, but are they also brighter?

Last edited by aomechmarine; 04-27-2016 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by aomechmarine
I wanted to add the Acura OEM Back Up Sensors that are available on the 2016, to my 2013 2.4. I'm not that into a lot of the tech packages on cars, not until the day that they are mostly touch screen and voice control on a really big screen, until then I prefer using my phone. However , this type of tech I can really dig. I drove cars in Japan with this feature, it really improves safety. Little kids are hard to see, sometimes even with a backup camera, that's my main concern.

I went to Acura to ask about it... they said its POSSIBLE but depends how different the harness is. Since you guys are talking about the harness... Is anyone here knowledgeable enough to know if it would be possible to hook it up to my 2013 2.4?

I'm also in the process right now of ordering the Canadian Domestic Market OEM Hood Edge Deflector. International Money Order to a Canadian Acura Dealer. I already ordered the 2016 OEM Chrome (YEA) Mirror Covers from an ebay dealer, they are in route. Meant to do it way sooner, some BS happened... I have seen some awesome lights mods on here, I wasn't really into modding that stuff before. I did get HID kits for the fogs, and it's much, much brighter. How is the brightness of these newer tail lights? I do think they look nicer, but are they also brighter?
The '16 ILX taillights are LED and as with any LED tails, they react faster and the light is much sharper. Actual lumen output may not necessarily be more than non-LED, but the light pipe makes the car look more upscale.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:00 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Here's some quick crappy iPhone pics of the tail lights installed.
There was a storm here today so that's why my car is a bit dirty so my apologies.
I'm gonna take some betters pictures with the DSLR when i get the car washed on Monday.

Nice work!
Would you happen to have pictures of the harness you fabricated?
Old 05-11-2016, 09:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 412 Likes on 194 Posts
Wow, very nice. I'm wanting to do this as well. Thanks for being our guinea pig and confirming it's possible.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:32 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Great job, looks fantastic! Which LED license plate lights do you have they seem nice and white?
The following users liked this post:
xtcnrice (05-13-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 08:06 AM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by aomechmarine

Did you get those chrome covers in? I saw them on the acura site and want to see them on a car. I really like the look on the audi's I wanted to see if they look just as good on our cars. You should do your own build thread once you get everything up and running.

OP as far as swapping out the headlights and creating your own harness, thats pretty awesome!! You should definitely post before and after pictures of the tails as well as of the harness.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:33 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
Originally Posted by ILXDyna
Great job, looks fantastic! Which LED license plate lights do you have they seem nice and white?
I'd like to know as well!
Old 06-06-2016, 08:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
I have not thrown the chrome covers on yet. I am waiting for a needed detail to make sure they adhere the best possible.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:58 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do you have a pic of the harness you made?

I managed to get my hands on a set of slightly used 2016 tail lights for a pretty good deal. They bolt right up to the body no problem. The outer tail light only has two connectors (one for the parking/brake lights and the other is the turn signal) which means they are plug-and-play. The taillight itself breaks up the brake light and the parking light within the housing so there is no third connector. The only main difference is the turn signal uses different socket/bulb than the Pre-MMC but the part that connect to the harness is the same.

For the trunk light though. Chrifff is correct. Since the Pre-MMC ILX doesn't have any inner lights, there would be have to be a slight modification to the rear harness. I took a look at the new harness for the 2016 model and the main connector is bigger and longer. Maybe the bigger connector is for the extra wiring for the AcuraWatch tech and all. This rules out the use of the 2016 harness on our cars. However, I made a custom harness for the inner lights that taps into the parking lights and the ground wires on the rear harness.

I will post of pics when I get the chance to take some. The weather isn't playing nice today.
Do you have pics of the harness you made??
Old 07-24-2021, 10:11 AM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would you have any pointers on the harness part? Currently waiting on tail lights to show up