AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   ILX (https://acurazine.com/forums/ilx-382/)
-   -   2016 ILX - Where are the Superchargers? (https://acurazine.com/forums/ilx-382/2016-ilx-where-superchargers-958666/)

TillyILX 05-24-2017 11:10 PM

2016 ILX - Where are the Superchargers?

Hello all, I'm the proud owner of a 2016 ILX. And I'm looking to dive into modifications soon, and I'm hunting for a supercharger kit that complies with the 2.4L & the DCT.

Currently, only able to find ones for previous years. I'm assuming this has to do with the 'earth' motor slightly changing and the DCT.

The motor diffrences are minuscule, but the DCT adds a whole new factor. Mainly, WILL THE GEARS HOLD POWER? WHATS A SAFE AMOUNT TO PRODUCE?
--- --- ---
My questions for y'all;
who else is on this boat? 🚣🏻
who else has ANY information on why we don't have one yet?
who else knows of any companies currently working on one?
--- --- ---

please. someone lol. I don't ever post on forums, i literally signed up for this just to pose this question.
Finally, here's my babe. https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...02912f3861.jpg

BirgeyT1 05-24-2017 11:21 PM

this engine is very different than the older K-series engines. Mainly, the intake and exhaust manifolds orientation has been swapped so now the intake manifold is on the firewall side of the engine bay.

TillyILX 05-25-2017 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by BirgeyT1 (Post 16025410)
this engine is very different than the older K-series engines. Mainly, the intake and exhaust manifolds orientation has been swapped so now the intake manifold is on the firewall side of the engine bay.

So, what I'm getting from this is that because of this change up it is more difficult to place a supercharger on the car. But is it impossible?
And do you have any knowledge of the DCT and its limitations, if any?

BirgeyT1 05-25-2017 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by TillyILX (Post 16025462)
So, what I'm getting from this is that because of this change up it is more difficult to place a supercharger on the car. But is it impossible?
And do you have any knowledge of the DCT and its limitations, if any?

Exactly, since this is a pretty new engine I don't think anyone has developed one yet or really tested the strength of the DCT trans.

schen72 05-25-2017 03:55 PM

My ILX is also blue! Nice color! The '16 ILX shares the same drivetrain as the non-V6 TLX, so you could also check there to see what engine mods are available. I haven't heard of anyone putting a supercharger on it. I imagine that may void the warranty...

DaIll1 05-25-2017 04:23 PM

Although it's a new engine and aftermarket is still scratching their head, Honda did us a favor. CTR. A head and supporting mods will give you a factory tuned turbo.

usdmJON 05-28-2017 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by TillyILX (Post 16025405)
Currently, only able to find ones for previous years. I'm assuming this has to do with the 'earth' motor slightly changing and the DCT.

I dont believe any 2015 owners have supercharged so any that you do find were probably made for the 2013-2015. The 2016 I believe doesnt have any tuning options yet so even if you got a supercharger there is no easy way to tune it.

The motor diffrences are minuscule, but the DCT adds a whole new factor.

The motors are similar in size but the difference are enough that any tuning option for the 2013-2015 would not work for the 2016. Also as someone above mentioned they did completely flip the engine around so likely a supercharger would need to be made facing the opposite direction to get it to fit. That is not an easy R&D where as for the 2013-2015 all R&D had to do was test an existing SC which fit perfect without any changes.

who else is on this boat?

I dont think any 2016 owners here are looking at diving into forced induction. Ive only seen 3 2013-2015 owners do it and the 2016 is so new I doubt anyone is ready for that. So far the most modded 2016 ILX is Jorge Morales which his white 2016. He has pretty much everything that is available which is only an intake and downpipe. Find him on our FB page in my signature. Hes one of the fellow mods there.

who else has ANY information on why we don't have one yet?

Two things. The car is knew and manufacturers have realized acura has pretty much been forgotten in the tuning world. Sure parts get released here and there but you are looking at a lot of custom work if you want these cars modded. I pulled a bunch of my parts from civics and have a couple custom made pieces since there is still so little available even for the 2013.

who else knows of any companies currently working on one?

Probably none sadly. If anyone did Id look at Kraftworks and Jackson Racing. If you want a tune youll need to go through Hondata or Ktuner if either chooses to make a tuning option available. Both I believe told people they werent though.

Quashy Erverh 11-30-2018 07:33 PM

Thmanx 12-03-2018 11:26 AM

Yeah a Kraftwerks universal kit 'may' work now.

Kits like this effectively replace your AC compressor with the charger. Though I'm not sure if anyone has tried to install one. You'd have to make your own piping and supply yourself an intercooler that would fit.
And now that KTuner has a flash solution, you could tune it with proper fuel and timing if adventurous enough.

Really its all a matter of packaging at this point, if an IC, Plumbing, and the kit itself could be made to fit, in theory you could do this.

fiatlux 12-03-2018 11:50 AM

Seems like it's just asking for the transmission to blow. Honda said the reason they didn't offer the TLX V6 with the DCT transmission is that it couldn't handle the torque. I suspect adding forced induction to the K24 will push out as much (or more) torque than the J35.

DaIll1 12-04-2018 08:26 PM

Before you step off the edge, The dry clutch system in the DCT is on the higher end of the torque spec. On wiki the general max is 184 lbf-ft.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-clutch_transmission
I was looking into putting the top end, with electronics and turbo from the R, but, I don't want to abuse my sweet little tranny;)
I think that's why we only get 1 wheel drive.