2016 ILX Vs 2015 SI

Old 04-06-2016, 06:00 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 ILX Vs 2015 SI

Has any one attempted this yet ? , I did,i beat a 2015 si on the highway started at 120 KM got one car length ahead of the car easily. Just curious of other's experiences .
Old 04-06-2016, 09:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
1. Save it for the track bro.

2. 2015 Si is a quicker car. Barely. But it is. They probably weren't pushing it.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:47 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
It would be pretty darn close man:
2016 Acura ILX A-Spec Test ? Review ? Car and Driver
2014 Honda Civic Si Sedan Test ? Review ? Car and Driver

Check out those numbers, they are pretty much an even match for the most part. The thing is, the Si is a manual. So it takes a little bit more skill to get the best acceleration (i.e. shifting quickly, shifting at the right rpm, start in the right gear,etc).

In a street race like that, reaction time is very important too.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by iforyou
It would be pretty darn close man:
2016 Acura ILX A-Spec Test ? Review ? Car and Driver
2014 Honda Civic Si Sedan Test ? Review ? Car and Driver

Check out those numbers, they are pretty much an even match for the most part. The thing is, the Si is a manual. So it takes a little bit more skill to get the best acceleration (i.e. shifting quickly, shifting at the right rpm, start in the right gear,etc).

In a street race like that, reaction time is very important too.
That is assuming the auto transmission in the 2016 ILX is shifting at the most opportune time for acceleration... which it does not. The transmission is geared to be most efficient for mileage before performance. Even if Sport mode, Id say a good driver can out shift an auto transmission simply because most auto trannies aren't geared with that in mind.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:31 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by lowther420
Has any one attempted this yet ? , I did,i beat a 2015 si on the highway started at 120 KM got one car length ahead of the car easily. Just curious of other's experiences .
Can't share my experiences because I'm not a dumb fuck who races on public roads, endangering others lives.
The following users liked this post:
Joseph Park (06-29-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 09:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser
Can't share my experiences because I'm not a dumb fuck who races on public roads, endangering others lives.
+1
I don't race on public roads. I have too much to lose.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:17 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by usdmJON
That is assuming the auto transmission in the 2016 ILX is shifting at the most opportune time for acceleration... which it does not. The transmission is geared to be most efficient for mileage before performance. Even if Sport mode, Id say a good driver can out shift an auto transmission simply because most auto trannies aren't geared with that in mind.
You are probably right that the ILX DCT might not shift at the most opportune time. But, the acceleration figures obtained by C/D already have that factored in.

With that said, I've driven the TLX 2.4 DCT. I can say that it shifts pretty darn well.

As mentioned in my other post, I was saying that driving skill would play a part for the Si since it's manual.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:37 PM
Suzuka Master

As mentioned in my other post, I was saying that driving skill would play a part for the Si since it's manual.
Agreed. But Id assume even your average driver interested in tuning would make better shift times than the auto ILX since the tuner is aiming for speed while the auto is aiming for fuel efficiency.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:11 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This might be a noob response, but my friend an I were talking a few days ago about shifting and whatnot. He mentioned something about the automatics shift using a computer and with the technology nowadays, something about the pressure of your foot on the gas pedal tells the computer about when it should shifting if it needs more power.

I understand what you're saying with the optimization for fuel efficiency. Just a thought tho.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have to say, the 8DCT in the ILX is awesome. It shifts so quickly and precisely. When I drive my other cars, which has a normal 5AT, the AT feels so sluggish.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:36 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Yea, for sure! The thing is, the DCT is just a more fancy manual. It's not really a slush box.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Yea, for sure! The thing is, the DCT is just a more fancy manual. It's not really a slush box.
The DCT is a more fancy automatic that uses two clutches to allow for quicker smoother gear changing.

Manual would imply that you have to manually control the releasing and engaging of the clutch. You have zero control over the clutch so its still an auto.

It is considered a semi auto with the paddles while in sport mode since you control when it shifts but you still dont control the clutch at all.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:06 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

It depends on how you see it.

But i guess my point is that its closer to being a manual, in a sense that uses clutches, and that it's faster than a manual.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The DCT is a more fancy automatic that uses two clutches to allow for quicker smoother gear changing.

Manual would imply that you have to manually control the releasing and engaging of the clutch. You have zero control over the clutch so its still an auto.

It is considered a semi auto with the paddles while in sport mode since you control when it shifts but you still dont control the clutch at all.
Your actually wrong a DCT is two manual gear boxes with a clutch on each, all even gears on one box and all odds on others, one clutch disengages the other will engage, shifting is done with solenoids similar to auto slush box, we do have a converter tho unlike many DCT, but unlike auto slush box our converter is on the outboard end so it is operated by wheel speed, slush box is by RPM, so our literally is there till mid second gear and then it stays locked
Old 04-13-2016, 09:22 PM
'15 ILX CBP 2.4

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Pretty sure you beat that Si considering he was probably in 6th gear cruising.. Anyways Si vs ILX debate is wack. We're all brothers, just an ILX with the heart of a Si engine.

That si should beat you from a dig, if you really wanted to know the bragging rights.

Although I personally in my 2.4 have not lost against any Civic Si.. mainly cause in my shifting techniques is far superb if that should that be advantage and sure maybe that extra torque helped.

From a dig my ILX pulled the top speed more than the Si did but debatable in the driver.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

DCT is an "automated manual." It is a true manual, but its action is "automated" in that a computer does it for you. It shifts faster than a normal manual can and he has the convenience of a regular automatic. Win-win!
Old 04-14-2016, 11:12 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im not a street racer LOL

I live in Canada I was on the highway , on our highways you may see 10 cars max on a 2 hour drive , when this happened , I was in a 4 lane , no other cars for miles , he pulled up , wanted to go , I said ok ,my last car was an SI and I almost bought another one ,not hating on them at all , I love both cars .I was just surprised at how easy it was , and he was trying .
This was the 3rd si , I beat one from a stop and another going 50 kmph .
Old 04-15-2016, 01:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by slow-k24
Your actually wrong a DCT is two manual gear boxes with a clutch on each, all even gears on one box and all odds on others, one clutch disengages the other will engage, shifting is done with solenoids similar to auto slush box, we do have a converter tho unlike many DCT, but unlike auto slush box our converter is on the outboard end so it is operated by wheel speed, slush box is by RPM, so our literally is there till mid second gear and then it stays locked
LMAO What did I say exactly that is wrong?

Look up the damn definition of a manual transmission.

It uses a driver-operated clutch engaged and disengaged by a foot pedal
The 2016 does not directly control the clutch as you can not just sit there with it open like a true manual. JUST LIKE THE 2013 you tell the engine when to shift and it does so. This is nothing new with the 2016 aside from that it now uses a dual clutch to make the shifts quicker.

But it is still a god damn automatic. It just has two clutches but neither of with you directly control. Therefor NOT a manual trans. Not even close.

Originally Posted by schen72
DCT is an "automated manual." It is a true manual, but its action is "automated" in that a computer does it for you. It shifts faster than a normal manual can and he has the convenience of a regular automatic. Win-win!
My fucking god. Thats an oxymoron my friend. You cant have an automated manual. Those are two opposing terms that mean two different things.

A true manual has a clutch you directly control with a pedal. The ILX you just tell the engine when to shift and it still automatically disengages then engages the clutch without you needed to manually do it.

This is literally the definition of a manual verse auto.

Long story short. If it was a true manual you could leave the clutch open. In the 2016 you can not. You simply say "I want to shift" and the computer automatically does it for you.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by lowther420
I live in Canada I was on the highway , on our highways you may see 10 cars max on a 2 hour drive , when this happened , I was in a 4 lane , no other cars for miles , he pulled up , wanted to go , I said ok ,my last car was an SI and I almost bought another one ,not hating on them at all , I love both cars .I was just surprised at how easy it was , and he was trying .
This was the 3rd si , I beat one from a stop and another going 50 kmph .
"Im not a street racer but when someone challanges me i race them in the street."

The ILX community has quickly turned into the SI community.
TacoBello (04-19-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 02:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

LMAO What did I say exactly that is wrong?

Look up the damn definition of a manual transmission.

The 2016 does not directly control the clutch as you can not just sit there with it open like a true manual. JUST LIKE THE 2013 you tell the engine when to shift and it does so. This is nothing new with the 2016 aside from that it now uses a dual clutch to make the shifts quicker.

But it is still a god damn automatic. It just has two clutches but neither of with you directly control. Therefor NOT a manual trans. Not even close.

My fucking god. Thats an oxymoron my friend. You cant have an automated manual. Those are two opposing terms that mean two different things.

A true manual has a clutch you directly control with a pedal. The ILX you just tell the engine when to shift and it still automatically disengages then engages the clutch without you needed to manually do it.

This is literally the definition of a manual verse auto.

Long story short. If it was a true manual you could leave the clutch open. In the 2016 you can not. You simply say "I want to shift" and the computer automatically does it for you.
Okay, we're just arguing over semantics. As a driver, I don't care if I can leave the clutch open or not. What difference does that make in real life driving? I flick the paddle shifter, and it shifts faster than a regular manual can. You need to look up the term "automated manual." It's a real thing that's been around for quite some time. Only in recent years has it become reliable and affordable enough for non-exotic cars.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

"Im not a street racer but when someone challanges me i race them in the street."

The ILX community has quickly turned into the SI community.
Funny how a lot of people measure their dicks by how fast their car goes. I couldn't care less what people think of me or my car.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:31 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Yea, like I said, the definition of manual or automatic becomes vague...no need to have a go at each other here guys...

The point here is that, the DCT allows for faster shifting compared to a manual, and enables more power to be routed to the wheels, compared to a traditional automatic transmission. The extra gears with the ILX DCT tranny is icing on the cake, as it allows the engine to be in its sweet spot longer, and also takes advantage of mechanical advantage with some low ratios for faster acceleration.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Okay, we're just arguing over semantics. As a driver, I don't care if I can leave the clutch open or not. What difference does that make in real life driving? I flick the paddle shifter, and it shifts faster than a regular manual can. You need to look up the term "automated manual." It's a real thing that's been around for quite some time. Only in recent years has it become reliable and affordable enough for non-exotic cars.
It doesnt matter if you care or not about leaving your clutch open. But that is what makes a car manual. Having to manually open and close the clutch. Your car does so automatically when you click shift up which makes it an automatic. You dont have to engage a pedal to open the clutch therefor not manual.

I know exactly what a semi auto is. Theyve been around for years and ive been driving once since before you picked up the 2016 auto ilx. You need to educate yourself on the definition of a god damn manual transmission because you sound like you have zero idea.

You are right it is a semi auto or automated manual. But if you wany to say it is more manual than auto then thats your opinion but id be willing to bet most manual drivers would call bullshit and say the 2015 2.4 6mt ilx was the last true manual acura. Not your 2016 2.4 dual clutch auto ilx.

Funny how a lot of people measure their dicks by how fast their car goes. I couldn't care less what people think of me or my car.
Really funny because we all drive dolled up civics here. No one should be equating the speed of their dressed up civic with the size of their dick.

Last edited by usdmJON; 04-15-2016 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

It doesnt matter if you care or not about leaving your clutch open. But that is what makes a car manual. Having to manually open and close the clutch. Your car does so automatically when you click shift up which makes it an automatic. You dont have to engage a pedal to open the clutch therefor not manual.

I know exactly what a semi auto is. Theyve been around for years and ive been driving once since before you picked up the 2016 auto ilx. You need to educate yourself on the definition of a god damn manual transmission because you sound like you have zero idea.

You are right it is a semi auto or automated manual. But if you wany to say it is more manual than auto then thats your opinion but id be willing to bet most manual drivers would call bullshit and say the 2015 2.4 6mt ilx was the last true manual acura. Not your 2016 2.4 dual clutch auto ilx.

Really funny because we all drive dolled up civics here. No one should be equating the speed of their dressed up civic with the size of their dick.
It sounds like your definition of a "manual" transmission is one where there are 3 pedals, and the driver has to push pedals to facilitate the action of shifting. If so, then fine. I guess that makes race cars all "automatics" now, just like my RL. My definition is slightly different, but I don't really care enough about the topic to argue with you and start name calling and getting upset about it. Sorry to have doubted your man card... or whatever.

Last edited by schen72; 04-18-2016 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:28 PM
Suzuka Master

It sounds like your definition of a "manual" transmission is one where there are 3 pedals, and the driver has to push pedals to facilitate the action of shifting. If so, then fine. I guess that makes race cars all "automatics" now, just like my RL. My definition is slightly different, but I don't really care enough about the topic to argue with you and start name calling and getting upset about it. Sorry to have doubted your man card... or whatever.
My definition of a manual is the literal definition. Look it up on wiki for christ sake.
Most race cars now a days are using a type of semi auto that allows the car to shift as quick as possible. But no they arent manuals in the sense that we are talking. These manuals are worlds cheaper to make and service over the style transmission in race cars.

And dont try to play the bigger man here. Youre only fooling yourself claiming you arent arguing the subject. And last i checked i didnt call you any names yet youve mentioned the size of my dick and my man card simply because i dont agree with your understanding of a manual transmission. Both comments make no sense as im not bragging about my own car or trying to make myself look better. You simply dont get what a manual transmission is.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

My definition of a manual is the literal definition. Look it up on wiki for christ sake.
Most race cars now a days are using a type of semi auto that allows the car to shift as quick as possible. But no they arent manuals in the sense that we are talking. These manuals are worlds cheaper to make and service over the style transmission in race cars.

And dont try to play the bigger man here. Youre only fooling yourself claiming you arent arguing the subject. And last i checked i didnt call you any names yet youve mentioned the size of my dick and my man card simply because i dont agree with your understanding of a manual transmission. Both comments make no sense as im not bragging about my own car or trying to make myself look better. You simply dont get what a manual transmission is.
Okay, you like to go by the literal definition of what a manual is. Fine. I prefer to think what we think of as a "manual" can include a wider net. But you obviously think you're right no matter what so I'm not going to argue with you. I'm not claiming to "play the bigger man" either. I simply grow weary to argue with you and truthfully I don't really care that much if you disagree with me.

My dick comment was not aimed at you. It was a general comment about street racers who seem to judge their manhood by how fast their car goes. Unless you ARE a street racer, in which case I guess I did aim it at you. And I'm certainly not bragging about my ILX as it's actually the cheapest car I own and I view it as a car that practically anyone can afford. My other cars are much nicer and would be better suited for bragging if I was so inclined.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Okay, you like to go by the literal definition of what a manual is. Fine. I prefer to think what we think of as a "manual" can include a wider net. But you obviously think you're right no matter what so I'm not going to argue with you. I'm not claiming to "play the bigger man" either. I simply grow weary to argue with you and truthfully I don't really care that much if you disagree with me.

My dick comment was not aimed at you. It was a general comment about street racers who seem to judge their manhood by how fast their car goes. Unless you ARE a street racer, in which case I guess I did aim it at you. And I'm certainly not bragging about my ILX as it's actually the cheapest car I own and I view it as a car that practically anyone can afford. My other cars are much nicer and would be better suited for bragging if I was so inclined.
Do you consider my 2.0 ilx auto because i have 1 less clutch or manual since i can control when i shift just like yours?
Old 04-18-2016, 11:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Do you consider my 2.0 ilx auto because i have 1 less clutch or manual since i can control when i shift just like yours?
I'm pretty sure your 2.0 has a 5-speed automatic transmission, in that it works like a traditional automatic with a torque converter and planetary gearsets. The number of clutches it has is irrelevant in deciding whether it's an "automatic" or a "manual."
justnspace (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 06:19 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I'm pretty sure; jon just got owned
Old 04-19-2016, 10:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by justnspace
I'm pretty sure; jon just got owned
Not in the fucking slightest. I agree with him my ilx is an auto. What he doesn't get is that his ilx is an automatic as well. Not a manual.

My auto ilx works identical to his in the sense that you click a button when you want the car to shift.

But this does not make it a manual. Neither is his dual clutch auto ilx. Its an automatic transmission with two clutches. Not a manual.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:33 AM

^did you go to sleep with all that planned out to say???

Old 04-19-2016, 10:36 AM
Suzuka Master

So do you agree with him?

Do you think the 2016 DCT ILX is a true manual? You know? The one with only 2 pedals and zero manual control over the clutch. You call that a manual too crabs?
Old 04-19-2016, 11:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Okay, I think I know what jon's beef is. The 16 ILX's transmission is not a "true" or "traditional" manual with a shifter, clutch pedal, etc. Imagine this scenario. Let's say I had a traditional manual and I built a device which allowed a machine/robot to actually push the clutch pedal for me. Now I took it a step further and I moved the "clutch pedal" to the engine bay and hid it behind a big box. Let's say instead of me deciding when this clutch would be depressed, there was a computer that made all the decisions. The transmission is still a "manual" in the sense it shifts like a manual would. But all the logistics of operating it are handled by the computer and solenoids and the driver only has to signal his intent to shift by flicking a paddle.

Bottom line, DCTs shift LIKE a manual, but don't have 3 pedals and a shifter - those operations are handled by a computer and tucked away inside the engine bay. I agree 100% DCTs are NOT traditional manuals as they don't have a clutch pedal. But the END result of how the shift happened is nearly the same.

Last edited by schen72; 04-19-2016 at 11:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by schen72:
iforyou (04-19-2016), justnspace (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 11:47 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
No clutch PEDAL, no manual.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:50 AM

schen is actually dumbing the info down for you, jon.

the DCT behaves in a way more akin to a true manual gear box than an automatic slushbox.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by howstuffworks.com
Most people know that cars come with two basic transmission types: manuals, which require that the driver change gears by depressing a clutch pedal and using a stick shift, and automatics, which do all of the shifting work for drivers using clutches, a torque converter and sets of planetary gears. But there's also something in between that offers the best of both worlds -- the dual-clutch transmission, also called the semi-automatic transmission, the "clutchless" manual transmission and the automated manual transmission.

In the world of racecars, semi-automatic transmissions, such as the sequential manual gearbox (or SMG), have been a staple for years. But in the world of production vehicles, it's a relatively new technology -- one that is being defined by a very specific design known as the dual-clutch, or direct-shift, gearbox.
I bolded the last line in the first paragraph that explains that it is a clutchless-manual
Old 04-19-2016, 12:02 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by justnspace
schen is actually dumbing the info down for you, jon.

the DCT behaves in a way more akin to a true manual gear box than an automatic slushbox.
Agreed, but really, there is nothing manual about the DCT. It works like a manual, but there's nothing manual about the whole system.

Can you rev match it? Nope. Can you heel-toe it? Nope. Can you clutch dump it? Actually, I'm not even sure on this one, lol, but I'd be surprised if you could.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:04 PM
Team Owner

Either way, who cares. DCT is fast as fuck. Just not as fun. I'd consider one if there was no manual option, but still not my favorite by any means.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Agreed, but really, there is nothing manual about the DCT. It works like a manual, but there's nothing manual about the whole system.

Can you rev match it? Nope. Can you heel-toe it? Nope. Can you clutch dump it? Actually, I'm not even sure on this one, lol, but I'd be surprised if you could.

I understand that you and jon both like to nitpick the very fine gritty details down the the last grain...and thats cool.

semi-auto, manual-auto....both of you are just nit picking for no good reason.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:08 PM
Team Owner

Nah, just shooting the shit, my man. I'm not hatttting on the DCT either

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 ILX Vs 2015 SI