2016 ILX Tech Plus vs TLX vs loaded Honda Accord for long highway commute

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 11:12 PM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
2016 ILX Tech Plus vs TLX vs loaded Honda Accord for long highway commute

I currently have an aging 3G TL that has served me well. I will be starting a very long commute - 90 miles each way, mostly highway driving. Since my commute is so long I want something comfortable, reliable, and try to minimize driver fatigue. I think Lane Keep Assist and Adaptive Cruise Control are must haves for my commute.

I'm debating between the following vehicles:
1) 2016 Acura ILX TechPlus
2) 2016 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech
3) 2016 Honda Accord EXL V6 Navi/Sensing

I'd normally pick the TLX, but it does not offer AcuraWatch and Adaptive Cruise Control, and unfortunately, its not looking like the 2017 will either. Both the ILX and Accord do. The V6 TLX Advance do, but no way in hell would I get the ZF transmission and spend the extra $8-10k on a car I'm planning to rack up a lot of miles.

Which of the 3 would you pick and why? I know it makes more financial sense to keep the 3G TL and repair it, but the job is a promotion, and being less fatigued and comfortable on the drive each way is critical.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:03 AM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
Of the choices, I'd get the Accord with the 2.4, but does the promotion have a car allowance?

Why the 2.4? It has enough grunt in my opinion and the CVT actually mimics an automatic pretty well. We don't notice it in our CRV unless you do some hard acceleration. Plus I think the 2.4 in the Accord is rated at 37 mpg. We've been able to exceed the fuel economy ratings in our CRV pretty easily.

Id also consider the Accord due to: you won't need to run premium fuel, it's probably cheaper to insure, and overall Maintenance will probably be less.

If not, I'd get something lightly used. Someone took a hit so you won't have to. If you do 180 miles a day in a brand new car, you'll never have any equity in it unless it's something you plan on keeping until the wheels fall off.

I bought a new Civic a few years back for the purpose of driving about 500 miles a week. I quickly got bored with it, but three years and 70k later, I'm barely at the point where I'd break even on it, so I hung onto it to avoid being upside down. That's the reason why I'd go used if I were in your shoes.

Good luck with the search.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
I would vote against the ILX for long highway commutes. The engine is buzzier and may get annoying. It's more nimble, but on the highway you want comfort.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:24 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Haven't drove the new Accord yet, but I personally like the ILX on the highway. Although I like the TLX even more, especially due to it's heavier (more momentum) like feeling. It's also less noisy, more comfortable and specious, and overall an excellent car.

On the other hand, the TLX is a bit pricey and I'd probably settle for a maxed out Accord instead. I don't know how the noise insulation is on the accord, but there is always the option to deaden the car further if needed, and it would probably cost less than getting the TLX.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by peti1212
Haven't drove the new Accord yet, but I personally like the ILX on the highway. Although I like the TLX even more, especially due to it's heavier (more momentum) like feeling. It's also less noisy, more comfortable and specious, and overall an excellent car.

On the other hand, the TLX is a bit pricey and I'd probably settle for a maxed out Accord instead. I don't know how the noise insulation is on the accord, but there is always the option to deaden the car further if needed, and it would probably cost less than getting the TLX.
Wow. Will probably cross ILX off the list. I have never driven an ILX but have driven both the Accord and TLX. I thought it was just like a smaller TLX, but from reading around it's like a gussied up Civic/Civic Si. That's not for me. I got quotes. Deals aren't that great on V6 Accords, but they are for both the 4 cyl Accord and TLX. Getting $29k OTD driveout for 4 cyl Accord EXL with Navi/Sensing and $34k OTD for 4 cyl TLX Tech. Surprisingly the V6 Accord is more expensive than the TLX Tech and the Accord touring is like $3k more. No way. So Accord is $5k cheaper, has Android Auto, full Honda sensing suite with adaptive cruise control, and uses regular gas. TLX is $5k more, has better driving experience, better NVH and sound system but is smaller and doesnt offer Acurawatch. Torn on this one. I think the Acura would be more comfortable but the Honda would be more functional and fit-for-purpose. What do you think?
Old 06-17-2016, 05:59 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
I think the TLX still has a slight edge in terms of ride comfort (NVH) over the Accord. But the difference might be quite small now since Honda facelifted the 2016 Accord.

I don't know what deals you can get in the States, but from what i see on Honda.com and Acura.com, the TLX 2.4 Tech is $35.7k, while an Accord V6 Touring is $34.7k.

I personally would go with the Accord V6 Touring because it has all the features that you want (adaptive cruise control, Honda sensing, etc) with a buttery smooth V6 engine that is very efficient on the hwy (it has cyclinder cut-off technology).

The 2016 ILX looks good on paper, but since it's based on the 9G Civic platform, fundamentally, it's not really a great car. The 2013-2015 has noise issue. I heard the 2016 is better, but I'd think there's only so much Honda could do with that platform.

Just throwing this out for your consideration, but have you thought about the brand new Civic Touring? It has all the bells and whistles, along with a powerful turbo engine and smooth CVT. From what I read, it also has a smooth ride.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by iforyou
I think the TLX still has a slight edge in terms of ride comfort (NVH) over the Accord. But the difference might be quite small now since Honda facelifted the 2016 Accord.

I don't know what deals you can get in the States, but from what i see on Honda.com and Acura.com, the TLX 2.4 Tech is $35.7k, while an Accord V6 Touring is $34.7k.

I personally would go with the Accord V6 Touring because it has all the features that you want (adaptive cruise control, Honda sensing, etc) with a buttery smooth V6 engine that is very efficient on the hwy (it has cyclinder cut-off technology).

The 2016 ILX looks good on paper, but since it's based on the 9G Civic platform, fundamentally, it's not really a great car. The 2013-2015 has noise issue. I heard the 2016 is better, but I'd think there's only so much Honda could do with that platform.

Just throwing this out for your consideration, but have you thought about the brand new Civic Touring? It has all the bells and whistles, along with a powerful turbo engine and smooth CVT. From what I read, it also has a smooth ride.
I actually test drove all 4 very recently: Accord Touring, 4 cyl Accord EXL Navi/Sensing, Acura TLX, Civic Touring. I didn't like the Civic. While I'm sure it was much improved for a Civic, and the tech was grear, it still felt like an economy car - much cheaper and smaller. I liked the Accord much better than the Civic. The Accord felt nicer and had noticeably improved NVH over the Civic. The V6 Accord was the fastest. The 4 cyl TLX was very nice. The TLX had the best NVH, but the Hondas has MUCH better tech standard or available: Android Auto, Garmin GPS, full Honda Sensing suite, remote start, etc. I crossed the Civic off the list. The deals aren't great. I liked the V6 Accord, but the deals were not great. The 4 cyl TLX Tech was cheaper than the V6 Accord, $3k cheaper than the Accord Touring. However the 4 cyl Accord EXL Navi/Sensing was $5k cheaper than the TLX Tech, and that's without a spare tire on the TLX. Funny how Honda is giving good deals on the 4 cyl Accords but not the V6.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:14 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Haven't driven the Touring model, but when I was driving the ILX Hybrid vs Accord EX-L, the Accord wasn't as well put together (felt "looser") I drove my friend's 2013 Accord EX-L with ~30k miles a couple months ago and a few squeaks and rattles started coming up while my ILX Hybrid (is still in the family) has nearly 70k miles and has no squeaks/rattles, and it's driven in NYC and DC regularly, as opposed to the Accord, which is 100% driven on smooth CT local and freeways. Also, why not test drive the ILX? The 2016 isn't a bad car by any means, and is a relatively comfortable highway cruiser, imo. It'll take a few minutes of your time and you won't lose anything by test driving it except knowing for certain that you like it or dislike it. It's based on the civic, but it acts and feels completely different.

The TLX quote sounds pricey - When I considered the TLX i4 Tech was closer to $30k... I'm sure you can negotiate that down some (in my area, a loaded TLX V6 is about the transaction same price as a loaded Accord Touring because of a certain "large" Acura dealer)
Old 06-20-2016, 11:15 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
I see, No wonder at this moment, the 4 cyl Accord EXL is high on your list! I agree, the only one you need to test now is the ILX.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 412 Likes on 194 Posts
Go for the ILX. It's a good long-hauler. 173,200 miles on my 2013 2.4. Zero issues.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:44 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraGuy2016
Wow. Will probably cross ILX off the list. I have never driven an ILX but have driven both the Accord and TLX. I thought it was just like a smaller TLX, but from reading around it's like a gussied up Civic/Civic Si. That's not for me. I got quotes. Deals aren't that great on V6 Accords, but they are for both the 4 cyl Accord and TLX. Getting $29k OTD driveout for 4 cyl Accord EXL with Navi/Sensing and $34k OTD for 4 cyl TLX Tech. Surprisingly the V6 Accord is more expensive than the TLX Tech and the Accord touring is like $3k more. No way. So Accord is $5k cheaper, has Android Auto, full Honda sensing suite with adaptive cruise control, and uses regular gas. TLX is $5k more, has better driving experience, better NVH and sound system but is smaller and doesnt offer Acurawatch. Torn on this one. I think the Acura would be more comfortable but the Honda would be more functional and fit-for-purpose. What do you think?
Both are great choices! However the TLX will be more likely a value keeper.
TLXs with underbody spoiler kit are soooo nice!! My next car for sure. Also the TLX might be less commun is the streets.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:45 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My grandparents just purchased a fully loaded black 2016 Accord v6 EXL touring and I can safely say for the money it has many more features than the TLX. Heated rear seats, full LED headlights, front and rear parking sensors and the list goes on. Find a good dealer that'll give you a deal and you can't go wrong plus they average 32mpg. We found an excellent dealer and paid just 31k with taxes and fees included.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:51 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I currently have an aging 3G TL that has served me well. I will be starting a very long commute - 90 miles each way, mostly highway driving. Since my commute is so long I want something comfortable, reliable, and try to minimize driver fatigue. I think Lane Keep Assist and Adaptive Cruise Control are must haves for my commute.

I'm debating between the following vehicles:
1) 2016 Acura ILX TechPlus
2) 2016 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech
3) 2016 Honda Accord EXL V6 Navi/Sensing

I'd normally pick the TLX, but it does not offer AcuraWatch and Adaptive Cruise Control, and unfortunately, its not looking like the 2017 will either. Both the ILX and Accord do. The V6 TLX Advance do, but no way in hell would I get the ZF transmission and spend the extra $8-10k on a car I'm planning to rack up a lot of miles.

Which of the 3 would you pick and why? I know it makes more financial sense to keep the 3G TL and repair it, but the job is a promotion, and being less fatigued and comfortable on the drive each way is critical.
I would eliminate the TLX V6 just based on the 9 speed performance and it being recalled

The ILX Tech will give you a ton of bang for you money at the moment but it is a lot smaller than an Accord and even TLX. It also lacks features such as rain sensing wipers, Android/iOS auto, 60/40 split, heated rear seats. If you don't need AWD or need the Acura name the better long term car and car for long trips would defiantly be the Accord

If you are single or don't have kids the ILX. The TLX is defiantly the most luxurious but is so flawed with either the 8 or 9 speed (mostly the 9), unless you plan to lease and defiantly need AWD
Old 07-07-2016, 01:57 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Joseph Park
I would eliminate the TLX V6 just based on the 9 speed performance and it being recalled

The ILX Tech will give you a ton of bang for you money at the moment but it is a lot smaller than an Accord and even TLX. It also lacks features such as rain sensing wipers, Android/iOS auto, 60/40 split, heated rear seats. If you don't need AWD or need the Acura name the better long term car and car for long trips would defiantly be the Accord

If you are single or don't have kids the ILX. The TLX is defiantly the most luxurious but is so flawed with either the 8 or 9 speed (mostly the 9), unless you plan to lease and defiantly need AWD
Decided on getting the Accord, either 2016 Touring on EXL V6 Navi/Sensing depending on what is availanle and deals. I do like the TLX better but not offering ACC on a 4 cyl on the 2017 was a dealbreaker after waiting patiently for months for the 2017 specs to be realeased. I have a family with kids, so ILX is too small and a bit too low.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
good choice
Old 07-07-2016, 03:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
Decided on getting the Accord, either 2016 Touring on EXL V6 Navi/Sensing depending on what is availanle and deals. I do like the TLX better but not offering ACC on a 4 cyl on the 2017 was a dealbreaker after waiting patiently for months for the 2017 specs to be realeased. I have a family with kids, so ILX is too small and a bit too low.
I agree the Accord is definitely the more practical choice, especially if you carry around a family and this is your only car. I do feel the ILX is somewhat tight for me and the family sometimes but we have two other larger cars, so the small size of ILX is okay for me.