2016 ILX tech loaner

Old 09-26-2015, 08:10 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
2016 ILX tech loaner

I've had 2016 tech ILX loaner for about 700 miles while my TSX is in the shop for a minor seat issue but it coincided with a delay at the upholstery shop, a weekend and some business travel.

Initial impressions:

The car had about 2000 miles when I picked it up - white over black.

The driver's seat was difficult to adjust. If I dropped it down enough to not hit my head (I'm 6'4", 200lbs) then my right knee bumped into the handbrake. Making it a bit more annoying, the seat memory kept going back to the very front every time I opened the door. Resetting it using the door buttons did no good so either the procedure is different from the TSX or there was a problem. I ended up turning it off in settings.

The interior is far nicer than a Civic but not up to the fit and finish of the TSX. There are several hard bits and the ridiculously small door bins have sharp flashing - something easily remedied with a knife.

It has clearly more power than the Civic but it seems a bit rough, The term "sewing machine" comes to mind when the engine spools up.

The electronic nannies are quite nice. The adaptive cruise works well as does the blind spot monitor. The lane keeping assist was a bit wonky and repaired cracks in the road would often cause the steering wheel to shimmy. Yellow center dividing lines weren't recognized.

Getting 40+ mpg on the highway was a breeze. Mid to high 30's in the TSX weren't quite that simple - both on normal gasoline.

The headlights are quite nice. The range on low beam is a bit short but the reach of the high beams is impressive.

All said and done, the ILX is a quite nice ride. It feels more modern than the TSX but also feels a bit twitchier - possibly because of the lane assist that was acting up.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:40 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had my Basque Red Tech for 2800 miles and I haven't had any problem with the seat setting changing. There was obviously something wrong with the car you drove. I'm 5' 10 and the drivers seat fits fine for me. The LKAS does seem a little aggressive to me- sometimes coming into play too soon. I have a complaint about the Collision Mitigation. On one particular curved road it seems to detect a large tree on the left side of the road as the road curves. I traded a 2012 TSX Tech for this car and really can't tell if this engine is rougher. The transmission is definitely rougher shifting when coming to a stop. I also feel the low beams don't have enough range. Overall, I'm very happy with the car. BTW I'm not in the demographic Acura had in mind for this car: I'm 66 years old, and have owned several Alfa Romeos as well as an Integra and 2 TSX's.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:56 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by johnalfa
I've had my Basque Red Tech for 2800 miles and I haven't had any problem with the seat setting changing. There was obviously something wrong with the car you drove. I'm 5' 10 and the drivers seat fits fine for me. The LKAS does seem a little aggressive to me- sometimes coming into play too soon. I have a complaint about the Collision Mitigation. On one particular curved road it seems to detect a large tree on the left side of the road as the road curves. I traded a 2012 TSX Tech for this car and really can't tell if this engine is rougher. The transmission is definitely rougher shifting when coming to a stop. I also feel the low beams don't have enough range. Overall, I'm very happy with the car. BTW I'm not in the demographic Acura had in mind for this car: I'm 66 years old, and have owned several Alfa Romeos as well as an Integra and 2 TSX's.
I noticed the same with the collision mitigation and the RLX had a TSB for that issue.

I think this technology is a bit ahead of its time. Just like early ABS, the technology needs to improve and the driver needs to be acclimated to the system.

The nav in this system seems a step forward (display) and a few steps back (lawyer nanny and the idiotic input knob where only the center portion pushes in). The backup camera is far better than that in the TSX - bright with vivid colors.