2016 ILX Premium - Canadian - Test driven

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 09:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
2016 ILX Premium - Canadian - Test driven

Good evening everyone,

Well, the moment is finally here where I can say that I have finally test driven the 2016 ILX (Premium) in the Canadian market - As with my second test drive of the TLX V6 SH-AWD (Tech).

Since this is the ILX thread, I will mostly focus on the ILX - My buddy of mine and I had a chance to spend some time browsing cars and the Acura dealership was on my list of places to stop.

Interior:

I think the ILX has done some mild upgrade to the interior with the dual screen and such but I am delighted that they have kept some knobs for things such as ventilation, seat warmers etc.

They have added some extra tech features inside which makes the car a bit more on par with the rest of the segment. As I have stated before, I am a small guy (5'10, 115lbs) so the ILX is an incredibly good size for me and since I already own the 2014 model, it felt right at home. This was a lighter color interior and the dual tone of the dash and door was a nice touch and the fits and finish are quite nice.

Exterior:

This is where the 2016 ILX is the most different - from an esthetics point of view. The front looks much better in person than in photos...I know, we hear this all the time but its true. The light assembly is really nice and the turn signal is a neat feature. The rear is OK but I was not overly excited about the "mesh" part around the rear reflectors...this is where I feel the pre MMC looks better but its purely subjective.

This was not the A-SPEC model so the wheels were not my thing at all....they look bad in picture and they look equally as bad in person but nothing that can't be fixed with accessory wheels. I just don't why or how this wheel design made it past someone's approval desk....just bad! But that is purely subjective and just expressing how I see them.

The drive:

1. In my opinion, the steering does feel noticeably better than the 2014 model we have. It has a bit more of a heft to it and when you get into a turn, you feel that right weight/substance to it...hard to describe. The car does feel a bit more planted.

2. The noise level is marginally better....I say marginally because it is hard to compare two cars (ours and the 2016) without the exact same road conditions but it still felt somewhat noisy/harsh. It didn't help that I had test driven the TLX just before....now that was quiet!!

3. The performance....This is where I'll likely be attacked but I'll given my honest feedback. Please keep in mind one thing...this is a new car and the transmission likely needs some 'learning' process so it may not be a reflection of an owner's perception..just mine with my limited test drive (of city/highway that last about 25 min).

I was expecting a noticeable improvement and maybe my expectation were too high but I was quite disappointed. My friend who test drove the ILX manual (Dynamic in Canada) with me back in 2014 and LOVED LOVED the sound and feel of this car almost couldn't believe this was an ILX. Maybe I am nuts but is it possible the 2.4 DI sounds different than the non DI? This engine is not as sweet sounding as the 2.0 that the g/f and I lease.

I am not sure why everyone is all excited about this DCT....I drove it in the TLX and the ILX and I can't see what the big hype is all about. I didn't feel it behave abnormally (hard shifting or things like that) but its not what everyone seems to make this tranny to be, at least from my feeling driving the car.

Quite honestly, I found it concerning that for the significant bump in HP and torque from the 2.0 we own that the difference was not THAT noticeable...it is but I was expecting a more "WOW" factor. I know it sounds crazy to say but our 2.0L feels just as fun as this one and the engine sounds better...maybe ours is a fluke but in a good way?! Also, for what its worth, the 2016 still had that "thunk" with the rear reactive dampers...our 2013 RDX had it, our 2014 ILX has it and so does this 2016 (For our climate anyway) - I heard it within 3 minutes on the road on the first pothole we hit.

Would I want to rush out and try and upgrade our ILX for this one...NEVER! Sure, there are some nice upgrades to the 2016:

- Jewel eyes are really nice
- I like the dual screen actually on the ILX (more than the TLX due to limited functions)
- Some added features such as blind spot monitoring
- Steering feedback

Things that are a wash....
- Engine/tranny - Either this unit needed more 'learning' or ours is a GEM, I didn't see any noticeable improvement, in fact, I found the 2.4DI sounding less refined - My buddy said the exact same thing.
- Fits and finishes but that was never an issue with the ILX before.
- Tires (Michelins - Much better than those on the TLX)

Things that are a step back:

- Wheels (rims) - damn these are ugly!
- Engine sound seems less refine compared to the 2.4 manual/2.0 auto

Considering the current ILX we lease is about 190$ cheaper a month than what I was quoted for the 2016 (mind you this was with a body kit), it makes me appreciate the ILX we own. If I didn't own an ILX, it would be a great car to have but I don't feel that for the difference in price (less dealer incentives), the improvements are not substantial enough for me to upgrade or get one of my own so me and the g/f had our own.

Again, the 2016 ILS is a GREAT car but the ILX was already more than a decent car and while many reviewers rave about the improvements brought to this MMC, being an owner and being honest, it was not an "OMG I want one"....in fact, I will keep the one I have and get something else for my new toy this summer. Don't get wrong, if you are in the market for an ILX, don't read fear in this post, it is a great car and you will enjoy it. I was just expecting a more significant change in power.

For those who know me....You all know that I had a single test drive of the TLX and was left disappointed. This test drive confirmed that the TLX doesn't feel as responsive as my 2012 TL felt HOWEVER, I am more appreciative of the TLX. This test was a noticeable improvement over what I recalled of my initial test drive so my perception of the TLX has gone up but the most AMAZING TEST drive I had today, the one that just made me grin from ear to ear and just left me sad to hand the keys back was the IS350 F Sport. I know this is all subjective but that car is just, for me, as close to what I would consider my ideal car.

-

Last edited by weather; 02-28-2015 at 09:38 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by weather:
4cruizn (03-21-2015), benjaminh (03-01-2015), internalaudit (03-04-2015), panamera125 (02-28-2015), quantum7 (03-01-2015), TaxiDriver (03-01-2015), WheelMcCoy (03-21-2015) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-28-2015, 09:49 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Thanks for all that! I agree with a lot of what you say, and being I have never even seen a 16 ILX, it's nice to have a down-to-earth opinion. Car reviewers can be somewhat convoluted sometimes. Good to know picking up a 2014 wasn't a bad decision. Like yours, ours was pretty cheap, and the new one would've been a lot more...kinda like, you pay for the extra upgrades despite a similar MSRP, and for my family at least, the ILX is a value/fuel economy car, so why pay all that extra for a runabout? I definitely like the upgrades, but the pre-mmc is fine just the way it is!
Old 02-28-2015, 09:54 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Yup, the 2014 ILX has nothing to be ashamed of - Its a great little car and the great incentives they offered on these makes owning one quite nice. In fact, our lease is about the same as a base Civic (here in Canada) so it was a no brainer for us.

Most people that knows me here will know that I don't try and change people's view on cars but just express my own feedback. I am not a car expert but I love cars and I try and give a balance view on things. I agree that I have a crude sense of humor but I never claimed to be perfect *lol*
Old 03-01-2015, 09:01 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Were you driving the 2016 ILX in "sport" mode? Subjectively it might not have seemed that much different to you, but according to Acura the 2016 ILX is c. 2.5 seconds faster than the 2015 2.0. But to get that difference I think you'd need to have it in sport and floor it.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:14 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ I did have it in Sport mode and was using the paddle and flooring it...It does feel a bit faster in the higher rev range but it was not an OMG moment as I was expecting....especially when reviewing some of the online test (videos and text).

Again, if I was in the market for an ILX, this would be a GREAT car, just not worth upgrading our current ILX for this particular model year and lose some money.

It is not enough different for me to consider my own so I will keep with my plan to get either the 2015 TLX V6 SH-AWD with full bodykit and accessory wheels OR the Lexus IS350 F Sport.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:18 PM
Calgarian

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
^^ I did have it in Sport mode and was using the paddle and flooring it...It does feel a bit faster in the higher rev range but it was not an OMG moment as I was expecting....especially when reviewing some of the online test (videos and text).

Again, if I was in the market for an ILX, this would be a GREAT car, just not worth upgrading our current ILX for this particular model year and lose some money.

It is not enough different for me to consider my own so I will keep with my plan to get either the 2015 TLX V6 SH-AWD with full bodykit and accessory wheels OR the Lexus IS350 F Sport.
Agreed. You are not buying this car especially in higher altitude location for the acceleration. It definitely picks up quicker at highway speeds than the 2015. One thing we all need to remember when evaluating a new vehicle is where your current vehicle benchmark is at. Coming from a older or less refined vehicle the ILX will feel like a champ but coming from a more refined and likely more expensive vehicle your likely to better hear and feel the thumping and tire noise etc.. My home sounds system always sounded good until I heard a better one.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:19 PM
Calgarian

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Weather did you stop by Silverhill Acura?
Old 03-01-2015, 02:55 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Nope...I am located in the eastern part of the country.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
I am a small guy (5'10, 115lbs)

-

WOW

Nice review.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:04 PM
Suzuka Master

No problem..I wanted to write when it was fresh in my mind.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Interior:
1. In my opinion, the steering does feel noticeably better than the 2014 model we have... The car does feel a bit more planted.

2. The noise level is marginally better....I say marginally because it is hard to compare two cars (ours and the 2016) without the exact same road conditions but it still felt somewhat noisy/harsh.

3. The performance....This is where I'll likely be attacked but I'll given my honest feedback...just mine with my limited test drive (of city/highway that last about 25 min)....Quite honestly, I found it concerning that for the significant bump in HP and torque from the 2.0 we own that the difference was not THAT noticeable...it is but I was expecting a more "WOW" factor.
I finally got to drive our base '16 ILX let me provide my thoughts vis-à-vis your impressions. I've been driving a 2013 ILX 6-MT for 27,000 miles so I think I have a good feeling for the car.

1. The front end definitely feels different. I wasn't expecting changes to steering weight (were there supposed to be?). But I immediately felt that the car was FAR less understeery. I guess this is what you're referring to when you say "more planted" To be more detailed, it feels like the tread is staying more level to the road and not rolling on the shoulder of the tire. Almost as if they dialed in some negative camber or added a thicker front sway bar.

2. Noise level sounds pretty much the same to me. However, the frequency sounds different. More tire noise less wind noise. Or, (more likely) less wind noise means the same tire noise is more noticeable.

3. Clearly an opinion can't be "wrong" but my reaction is quite different. From the first push of the start button the car come to life with a pleasant growl. Maybe this is where your comment of "less refined" comes from and to me, the slight vibration transmitted to the cabin feels "sporty". My current 2.4 is the same.

I remember back in the Integra days, the power/torque curve of the GS-R and LS motor were nearly identical till you reached ~5000 RPM. There, the 142 hp motor started to taper off but the 170 hp GS-R kept accelerating. There were a lot of drivers who couldn't tell the difference or didn't perceive the difference as important since they weren't the type to spend a lot of time at 7000 RPM.

I know that the R20 in the 2.0 has a long stroke and feels pretty torquey and maybe this lessens the difference at lower RPMs. But if you wind it out, there is no way that the difference is not startling. Especially on a roll, going from 20 to 70 was extraordinarily strong.

I can't speak to the wisdom of selling a '14 for this, but if a lease was up (like mine in 6 months) I wouldn't have too many reservations considering the '16. I just need to reconcile the loss of the clutch....

Last edited by Colin; 03-20-2015 at 06:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Colin:
weather (03-21-2015), WheelMcCoy (03-21-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 08:01 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
I just need to reconcile the loss of the clutch....
Or rather, the addition of one
Old 03-21-2015, 06:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Colin...all great points you have made. Again, a few factors maybe at play here as well such as:

1. Limited test drive opportunity.
2. Maybe the car just needed a bit more chance to learn the driving mode....I had noticed a difference from my first TLX experience to my second one so this could apply here too.
3. Expectations...maybe I was going in expecting a HUGE difference and was disapointed by the experience just because of the high expectations going in.
4. I had just test driven the IS350 F Sport about 20 minutes prior and had been on a high from that car so maybe I need to go in fresh.

I will say this though, the DI engines don't seem to sound as nice as my 2.0l when revved but I could just imagining things. I appreciate your feedback and I know these are simply people expressing their opinion and I certainly respect and appreciate your view point. That is the beauty of us senior members, we can express our opinions and not bash the others for not agreeing with us, just simply sharing our experience in a friendly and courteous manner.
The following users liked this post:
Nexx (03-21-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 07:42 AM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
As for the engines, a 2.0L is likely to be inherently smoother than a 2.4L, which could contribute to your impressions about sound, feel, etc. The 2.0 might feel less "stressed" making its power, but I don't know -- my TSX's 2.4L is pretty smooth. Also, the injectors in DI engines have a slight "clatter" at low rpm, almost like a diesel, which turns some people off. It's normally more audible from outside the car though. But I bet coming from the IS350 has something to do with your reaction to the ILX. I plan to test a 2016 ILX soon, because I'm curious how it will feel coming out of my TSX.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 412 Likes on 194 Posts
Great feedback and perspective in this thread. I'm anxious to see how the 16 feels in real life soon. Agree with weather on those wheel designs.
weather (03-22-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 07:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Colin...all great points you have made. Again, a few factors maybe at play here as well such as:

1. Limited test drive opportunity.
2. Maybe the car just needed a bit more chance to learn the driving mode....I had noticed a difference from my first TLX experience to my second one so this could apply here too.
3. Expectations...maybe I was going in expecting a HUGE difference and was disapointed by the experience just because of the high expectations going in.
4. I had just test driven the IS350 F Sport about 20 minutes prior and had been on a high from that car so maybe I need to go in fresh.

I will say this though, the DI engines don't seem to sound as nice as my 2.0l when revved but I could just imagining things. I appreciate your feedback and I know these are simply people expressing their opinion and I certainly respect and appreciate your view point. That is the beauty of us senior members, we can express our opinions and not bash the others for not agreeing with us, just simply sharing our experience in a friendly and courteous manner.
I hear you. The internet is not good for things like 'feel' as it's hard to describe degrees of goodness (or badness) without a frame of reference. Also, adjectives are hard, how do we define "HUGE" in words when it's really a feeling. As it is with audio equipment, one person's "thrilling and detailed" high frequency response is anothers "brittle and shrill".

If the new ILX were 3 seconds faster from 0-60 that seems 'huge' to me, but I couldn't say if it would feel huge to you. Add in the fact that it will probably do better in fuel economy and (IMO) that's nothing short of amazing. Considering that I'm already driving a 2.4 ILX, I think the new one accelerates more "urgently", especially in the midrange.

Last edited by Colin; 03-21-2015 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:00 PM
Jeff

Received 815 Likes on 726 Posts
did you go to precision acura??
Old 03-22-2015, 03:09 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Nope, I have been dealing exclusively with Atlantic Acura! They are the BEST the auto industry can offer....No question in my mind!
Old 03-22-2015, 04:11 PM
Jeff

Received 815 Likes on 726 Posts
ya everytime we go to Halifax we stop into atlantic acura just to look lol (they are the best)... I just figured precision because your in NB... Anytime Ive been to precision they treat me like I don't know anything because my TLs are/were modded..I hate that! Needless to say both of my TLs were from precision and have been maintained there also

Last edited by Oh Sickest TL; 03-22-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:13 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by blacktsxwagon
Or rather, the addition of one
Good one. :
Old 03-23-2015, 11:24 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
someone cant feel a increase of 60HP?? , well , its only happen on Acura test drive.
How many HP need the ILX ?? 300 ??. Cmon , know that Acura remedy the HP deficit
the trend is to evaporate that on test drive. Back on the 90s the difference between a
base Honda model and SI was 15HP or 20Hp and the you can feel it.
A saving of 2 seconds 0/60 and you cant feel it ??? Cmon.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CARLOS10
someone cant feel a increase of 60HP?? , well , its only happen on Acura test drive.
Technically, it's 51 hp, but that's besides the point. He never said he didn't feel it, only that it wasn't what he was expecting. In other words, it's about degrees of "wow" not the fact that there is more "wow".
weather (03-23-2015)
Old 03-23-2015, 09:01 PM
Suzuka Master

CARLOS...What Colin said. I was going in expecting a HUGE difference but it was not as exciting as I had hoped. As my subsequent post also sated, I had just finished driving an IS350 F sport so the adrenaline of driving that car was still within me
Old 03-24-2015, 03:49 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CARLOS...What Colin said. I was going in expecting a HUGE difference but it was not as exciting as I had hoped. As my subsequent post also sated, I had just finished driving an IS350 F sport so the adrenaline of driving that car was still within me
WHEATER You feel adrenaline driving the IS350 F SPORT because its a
305HP 3.5V6 RWD SPORT CAR , the ILX is a entry level sedan.
Try a TLX SH-AWD is better suited for your tates.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:29 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ I did....re-read the post

I agree the V6 SH-AWD TLX is a more apple to apple comparison but I indicated my comments on the ILX as I didn't want to speak too much about the TLX in this thread.

The TLX was indeed better than I remembered...