2016 ILX - How many miles in a full tank of gas!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 02:44 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 ILX - How many miles in a full tank of gas!?

Unfortunately, I am only getting approx. 225 miles with a full tank of gas. Mon - Fri I drive approx 10 miles round trip for work and on the weekend i usually drive from I.E. to L.A. to visit friends and family.

I think the mon - fri side street, stop and go (35-50 mph streets, but it gets congested) to work is really killing my MPG!

Should i be getting more miles per tank / mpg !?

How many miles per full tank are you all getting and in what conditions !?
Old 05-11-2017, 02:50 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^it would help if you showed average MPG and Average MPH, which can be found in the on board computer.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
Based on your average MPG, you can easily figure out the expected range from the gas tank. If you are actually getting much less than that, then something is wrong.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:05 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jspangan
Unfortunately, I am only getting approx. 225 miles with a full tank of gas. Mon - Fri I drive approx 10 miles round trip for work and on the weekend i usually drive from I.E. to L.A. to visit friends and family.

I think the mon - fri side street, stop and go (35-50 mph streets, but it gets congested) to work is really killing my MPG!

Should i be getting more miles per tank / mpg !?

How many miles per full tank are you all getting and in what conditions !?
If you mean you go about 225 miles before the fuel light comes on, then you are likely getting about 22.5mpg, which seems low. However, it's not outrageous if you're doing a lot of stop and go and if you have a lead foot in general otherwise. For comparison, I have a '13 which is rated a little bit lower in fuel efficiency than your model, but from what I can see probably gets very similar MPG in real life compared with the '16 and I typically get in the mid-30s if I'm doing highway driving and the mid-20s if I'm doing city driving. Since I'm pretty split in my driving habits, I therefore get around 30mpg, overall. I drive fairly gently, however.

If you're getting 225 miles driving the tank down to the last drop then that's around 17mpg which means all I can say is make sure you fully release the parking brake before you drive.

FYI, if your computer software version is like mine (highly likely) then the fuel light comes on with about 3 gallons left in the tank (about 10-10.2 driven) and then reads 0-mile range at 2 gallons left. Also your computer MPG calculator will be high, probably by about 5-10%. I calculate my MPG at the pump based on gallons in and miles driven and it is always lower than the computer readout.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:54 AM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
That sounds about right for a Heavy LA Traffic commuter.

I work in San Francisco and do 95% City 5% Highyway. All of my driving consist of hills, stoplights and traffic. I average about 20mpg.

If I take an easy drive down the coast, I can easily hit 40mpg.

This car REWARDS you for an easy commute and SEVERELY PUNISHES you for a tough commute.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by iRaw
That sounds about right for a Heavy LA Traffic commuter.

I work in San Francisco and do 95% City 5% Highyway. All of my driving consist of hills, stoplights and traffic. I average about 20mpg.

If I take an easy drive down the coast, I can easily hit 40mpg.

This car REWARDS you for an easy commute and SEVERELY PUNISHES you for a tough commute.
I think this is true for any car. Except hybrids, as they use electric power to start out from a stop. I'm in San Jose and my commute is 15 miles in stop and go highway traffic but it's mostly flat. I average about 27mpg.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Yea thats normal. That is mostly city driving and you are probably driving aggressive and don't actually realize it. I can easily and consistently get better then 40 MPG at highway speeds, driving chill mode. Speeding or very aggressive driving, goes down to about your MPG. Can even go lower. Seen Accords with the same 2.4 get 18 MPG while basically racing. Have seen mine say as low as 18.9 for a moment, like literally just stuck and idling in traffic. I have noticed that my MPG gets the absolute worst MPG in both hot weather, and heavy stop and go. Those were the worst offenders by far. Cold weather keeps the car running cooler and the Cold Air Intake is more effective. Well, cold for California.

To boost/ maximize your MPG and protect your car from your apparently harsh commute... Use full synthetic oil, use a good premium oil filter, use only 91 octane. Also your wheels and maybe your tires may be slightly effecting your MPG. What brand are your tires..? And what size are your wheels again..?
Old 05-14-2017, 09:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
*** by chill mode, I mean just keeping a consistent click of speed... I could be doing 70 and still get 40 MPG. Any constant stop and go is a MPG killer. The more dramtically you slow down and the more you need to speed up to get back up to speed, the more dramatic the MPG loss.