AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   ILX (https://acurazine.com/forums/ilx-382/)
-   -   2014 ILX tranny drain and fill. (https://acurazine.com/forums/ilx-382/2014-ilx-tranny-drain-fill-960832/)

Garbage 07-25-2017 05:31 PM

2014 ILX tranny drain and fill.

Good day all! didn't know if I should post this somewhere else but, it didn't really fit into any of the sub categories... :soopa:

I have a 2005 TL that I passed down to my son for his first car... and in the past have usually every 3 oil changes I had a tranny drain and fill done. pull the tranny plug.. 3 qts drain out, then just add 3 back in rather than a flush...as the total capacity is more than 3 qts.
Now I also have a 2014 ILX and I want to do the same, but have no idea how much tranny fluid comes out when you pull the plug and let it drain. There seems to be very little info here and out on the web for that matter about the 1st gen ILX models.
My question is what is the total capacity on the 2014 ILX 2.0 Tech pkg model and how much comes out when you just pull the plug and let it drain as opposed to a flush. I heard NEVER do a flush..
I am used to seeing sooo much info about Acura's on Acurazine.. but for some reason don't seem to see much for the 2014 ILX model in any sub category.. perhaps that's a good sign if there is very little especially in the problem and fixes area. :wish:

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Garbage

skarface 09-04-2017 02:32 PM

I'm interested in this as well if someone has a DIY write up. Thanks!

AZuser 09-05-2017 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by skarface (Post 16088978)
I'm interested in this as well if someone has a DIY write up. Thanks!

Can't be any different than doing a drain and fill on any other Honda/Acura.

- locate drain bolt
- crack it loose
- let it drain
- put back drain bolt and torque to 36 ft-lb
- refill with ATF through dipstick
- done

Don't make it harder than it seems.

01acls 09-05-2017 02:26 PM

The trans service refill is 2.6 quarts. I'm not sure of the total trans capacity but an educated guess would be about 6.5 quarts.

mattyoh69 11-29-2018 11:18 AM

Acura ILX Transmission Fluid Change - The Right Way

I bought a used 2015 ILX 2.0L in October of 2017, one of three Acuras I own. Unlike my older models, the ILX manual not include specific maintenance tasks to be completed at specific mileage intervals, using the automated Maintenance Minder system to indicate when those tasks should be completed. Found a few places online that indicates the tranny fluid in my ILX should be replaced every 30,000 miles. The manual states the capacity is 2.6 quarts. I just got off the phone with my friend and neighbor John, who is a senior engineer at the Honda R&D facility up the road in Marysville, Ohio. He talked to his lead transmission design guy, who stated that the recommended fluid interval is 60,000 miles, not 30,000. There is actually about 9 quarts in the system. He also confirmed for me that there is no filter to change, as it is internal.

He recommended not being lazy, and changing the fluid using the 3X3 method, which I think everyone is familiar with.. If not, warm the car up good, turn it off, lift and properly secure the front end enough to get under and access the drain bolt. A little less than 3 quarts should drain out. Put in the bolt, add 3 quarts of fluid. Run the car (stationary) for 10 minutes, periodically moving it through all the gears. Repeat the process. On the third repeat, add 2.5 quarts, then warm it up again, move it through the gears a few times, and add just a bit more until the fluid level indicator is at the the proper level. Done.

In terms of the fluid, the recommended fluid is about $9 a quart at Amazon. He also stated if you wanted to go with a high quality full synthetic ATF like Mobil 1, that would work just fine. If not, use the recommended fluid below. The product # is the same on both the bottles labeled Honda vs. Acura...same stuff.

Genuine Honda Fluid 08200-9008 ATF-DW1 Automatic Transmission Fluid - 1 Quart

visi_d 11-30-2018 08:08 AM

Refer to the owners manual that came with your car for the specific quantity needed.

LazyAcura 12-05-2018 10:08 PM

How many times should I drain to get 100% of old fluid out. Is one time though??

visi_d 12-06-2018 08:28 AM

If you do this on regular intervals that you will be fine with just a drain and fill. No need to get all the fluid out.

skarface 06-13-2019 03:09 PM

What size is the drain bolt?

skarface 05-31-2020 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by mattyoh69 (Post 16340707)
I bought a used 2015 ILX 2.0L in October of 2017, one of three Acuras I own. Unlike my older models, the ILX manual not include specific maintenance tasks to be completed at specific mileage intervals, using the automated Maintenance Minder system to indicate when those tasks should be completed. Found a few places online that indicates the tranny fluid in my ILX should be replaced every 30,000 miles. The manual states the capacity is 2.6 quarts. I just got off the phone with my friend and neighbor John, who is a senior engineer at the Honda R&D facility up the road in Marysville, Ohio. He talked to his lead transmission design guy, who stated that the recommended fluid interval is 60,000 miles, not 30,000. There is actually about 9 quarts in the system. He also confirmed for me that there is no filter to change, as it is internal.

He recommended not being lazy, and changing the fluid using the 3X3 method, which I think everyone is familiar with.. If not, warm the car up good, turn it off, lift and properly secure the front end enough to get under and access the drain bolt. A little less than 3 quarts should drain out. Put in the bolt, add 3 quarts of fluid. Run the car (stationary) for 10 minutes, periodically moving it through all the gears. Repeat the process. On the third repeat, add 2.5 quarts, then warm it up again, move it through the gears a few times, and add just a bit more until the fluid level indicator is at the the proper level. Done.

In terms of the fluid, the recommended fluid is about $9 a quart at Amazon. He also stated if you wanted to go with a high quality full synthetic ATF like Mobil 1, that would work just fine. If not, use the recommended fluid below. The product # is the same on both the bottles labeled Honda vs. Acura...same stuff.

Genuine Honda Fluid 08200-9008 ATF-DW1 Automatic Transmission Fluid - 1 Quart

Did you end up changing the fluid? Manual says 2.6 quarts but the dealer and a YouTube video I saw showed 3.7 qts drain out. Trying to make sure so I buy enough fluid.

skarface 07-04-2020 10:54 PM

Just an update, I got a bit more than 3.5 quarts out on the drain. The drain bolt just uses a 3/8 ratchet.