2014 Acura ILX 2.4L 6-speed Manual Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 12:12 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Acura ILX 2.4L 6-speed Manual Modifications

Hey everyone,

I am new to Acurazine and I have just purchased a 2014 Acura ILX 2.4L 6-speed premium package. I want to do some modifications and am wondering where I should start. I am thinking start with CAI then maybe downpipe. Also I want to have the car tuned but am unsure how to get this done any help would be appreciated. I live in Maryland so for the downpipe I think I have to get a catted one because if I have cat-less I won't pass emissions right? Also the car is black so I definitely want to tint the windows at some point. Lastly I wouldn't mind upgrading the suspension maybe start with a strut bar what do you guys think? Let me know what you guys think and what order I should do these things in. Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated. Also any other mods that increase horsepower I am open to so just let me know if you think I should add something else.

Thanks,

Justin
Old 09-22-2017, 01:45 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
I would look @ https://acurazine.com/forums/acura-ilx-discussion-382/ for ideas
Old 09-22-2017, 02:57 PM

Received 5,880 Likes on 2,898 Posts
MODERATOR NOTE: Moved to model specific forum for better response.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
do suspension. youre not gonna much more power out of that without boosting it. if you want faster trade it in for a faster car
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (09-26-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 03:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I did bolt on mods with my old 6-speed ILX and I loved it. Granted it wasn't the fastest,but it was fun to drive after some basic mods.

As for a tune. I believe you can get tuned via K-Tuner or Hondata. I had the Hondata K-Pro on my RSX-S and it really woke the car up after dyno tuning it. Good luck with your mods.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:31 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey congrats on getting the car. I just got my ILX a day after you haha. Sweet car. I'm planning to mod my ILX later next year.
I believe first engine mod should be Hondata Flashpro. If you think about it, no matter how many mods you put on, you're gonna need a tune to make the car run at its full potential otherwise the car is basically just running like stock with better throttle respond or possilbly worse.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:49 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts
Justin and Steve, congrats on your purchase and welcome to the Acuzine and the ILX club!!!

To be honest it all depends on how much gains you are hoping to get out of the engine. Honestly the K24 engine is a superb engine, but is only good for about 20-40 hp with bolt ons/tune (and to get past the 20 plus starts to take quite a bit). If you are looking for throw you back in your seat powah then u gotta go forced induction to give u the torque and high HP gains = Supercharger or Turbo. CAI and down pipe will be worth up to 10 ponies without a tune. For me I have installed a CAI (now changed to more of a short ram); down pipe, RBC intake manifold swap, and Hondata tune; and I am happy with the performance increase I have received but that is me. I was hoping to get around 20-30 ponies and feel I probably have that, there is always debates on how much gains are to be had and people will have their own opinions. Honestly there is more gains and available mods with the 2.4 L (K24 - Based on the Honda Civic SI engine) engine opposed to the 2.0 L engine.

If you do mod your suspension I would go with better tires first (possibly lower some people's noise complaints), then possibly lowering springs - But be careful as the vehicle does tend to bottom out on curvy/hilly roads. I picked up Tein Springs with a 1.5" drop, I believe H & R has a slightly less drop of 1.3". There is also a pretty easy and cheap mod to swap out the rear sway bar with a Honda Civic SI variant this will reduce rear end roll.

Good luck with your mods and enjoy the car!
Old 10-25-2017, 02:08 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrifff
Justin and Steve, congrats on your purchase and welcome to the Acuzine and the ILX club!!!

To be honest it all depends on how much gains you are hoping to get out of the engine. Honestly the K24 engine is a superb engine, but is only good for about 20-40 hp with bolt ons/tune (and to get past the 20 plus starts to take quite a bit). If you are looking for throw you back in your seat powah then u gotta go forced induction to give u the torque and high HP gains = Supercharger or Turbo. CAI and down pipe will be worth up to 10 ponies without a tune. For me I have installed a CAI (now changed to more of a short ram); down pipe, RBC intake manifold swap, and Hondata tune; and I am happy with the performance increase I have received but that is me. I was hoping to get around 20-30 ponies and feel I probably have that, there is always debates on how much gains are to be had and people will have their own opinions. Honestly there is more gains and available mods with the 2.4 L (K24 - Based on the Honda Civic SI engine) engine opposed to the 2.0 L engine.

If you do mod your suspension I would go with better tires first (possibly lower some people's noise complaints), then possibly lowering springs - But be careful as the vehicle does tend to bottom out on curvy/hilly roads. I picked up Tein Springs with a 1.5" drop, I believe H & R has a slightly less drop of 1.3". There is also a pretty easy and cheap mod to swap out the rear sway bar with a Honda Civic SI variant this will reduce rear end roll.

Good luck with your mods and enjoy the car!
I agree Cold Air Intake, Down pipe, and exhaust if you're feeling froggy. I also live in Maryland. You will pass emissions without a cat, as long as you do not have a check engine light. I also seem to be the only person in existence running the Hondata Re-Flash. I knew my supporting mods wouldn't need me investing in Flash-Pro.

H&R springs, Boomba motor mounts are a must if you're running an aftermarket down pipe, and the 2014-15 Civic rear sway bar are also great starts.

As for looks, you're pretty short there. The OEM lip kit and a $999 carbon fiber hood or trunk are the only cosmetic mods I've seen.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:58 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts
Actually Triscuit, I have a Hondata Flashpro kit as well - I would say it is worth the investment, especially if you have a couple other mods. To add to your above comments, I would recommend the Subaru WRX front splitter for a cheap mod (only about $60). I have the splitter myself and am a little skidish to install it as I believe I will end up curbing the lip as my car pretty low as is. I almost installed the Civic Si rear sway bar yesterday, however need another tool to help (not that it is difficult, but it would help to get at some of the bolts.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:26 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrifff
Actually Triscuit, I have a Hondata Flashpro kit as well - I would say it is worth the investment, especially if you have a couple other mods. To add to your above comments, I would recommend the Subaru WRX front splitter for a cheap mod (only about $60). I have the splitter myself and am a little skidish to install it as I believe I will end up curbing the lip as my car pretty low as is. I almost installed the Civic Si rear sway bar yesterday, however need another tool to help (not that it is difficult, but it would help to get at some of the bolts.
Hondata just posted a video on YouTube that you can now disable VSA from Flash-Pro. Now I must bite the bullet. That way I don’t have to keep reprogramming different TPMS when I switch wheels.