AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   ILX (https://acurazine.com/forums/ilx-382/)
-   -   2013 ILX,synthetic oil or synthetic blend oil? (https://acurazine.com/forums/ilx-382/2013-ilx-synthetic-oil-synthetic-blend-oil-954036/)

Juliasdad1990 01-25-2017 10:00 PM

2013 ILX,synthetic oil or synthetic blend oil?

synthetic oil or synthetic blend oil?

hondu 01-27-2017 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Juliasdad1990 (Post 15944472)
synthetic oil or synthetic blend oil?

Either will work just fine in your ILX. Just follow the MM.

Full synthetic oils are pretty cheap to find nowadays, so why not go full synthetic?

Pennzoil has a $2/quart rebate going right now on their full synthetic oils, so probably even cheaper than a blend.

justnspace 01-27-2017 06:39 AM

^I concur

edcygan 02-03-2017 07:00 AM

In the maintenance guide Acura doesn't recommend synthetic oil! Just saying I'm new to the Acura family

Q: I use synthetic oil. Should I expect to get more miles before the Acura Maintenance Minder indicates that I need an oil change?
A: Acura does not recommend the use of synthetic oils in models that do not require them as your Acura was designed and engineered based on the oil recommended in your owner’s manual. The Acura Maintenance Minder calculates your vehicle’s needs based on the oil recommended by the Acura engineers that designed your engine. The use of synthetic oil will not extend the oil change interval.

edcygan 02-03-2017 07:00 AM

In the maintenance guide Acura doesn't recommend synthetic oil! Just saying I'm new to the Acura family

Q: I use synthetic oil. Should I expect to get more miles before the Acura Maintenance Minder indicates that I need an oil change?
A: Acura does not recommend the use of synthetic oils in models that do not require them as your Acura was designed and engineered based on the oil recommended in your owner’s manual. The Acura Maintenance Minder calculates your vehicle’s needs based on the oil recommended by the Acura engineers that designed your engine. The use of synthetic oil will not extend the oil change interval.

thoiboi 02-03-2017 08:18 AM

don't matter.

acuraada 01-05-2019 07:56 AM

My MB came with full synthetic off the factory. ICE is ICE, as others have pointed out, full syn is cheap, there's is no reason to go blend.

Great info on the oils specs but when was the last time you you saw your engine temp meter go up to 240 F? You would have b bigger problems before worrying about oil meltdown

horseshoez 01-05-2019 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by acuraada (Post 16359645)
My MB came with full synthetic off the factory. ICE is ICE, as others have pointed out, full syn is cheap, there's is no reason to go blend.

Great info on the oils specs but when was the last time you you saw your engine temp meter go up to 240 F? You would have b bigger problems before worrying about oil meltdown

Uhhh, you do know there are areas inside of engines which are WAY hotter than what the coolant temperature is inside your engine, right? Said another way, on a hot summer day with the A/C running while climbing a long steep grade, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see localized temperatures inside the engine of an ILX reach or exceed 240°F.