2013 2.0 Tech ILX nearing lease maturity...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 11:07 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by usdmJON
This is the main thought I am having.

Would I enjoy the extra power the TLX has? Hell yeah.

Would I enjoy rolling around in a TLX over and ILX? Hell yeah.

But 3 years from now do I want to be done with payments on an ILX or be half way through paying off a TLX?

When I started my ILX lease I had no idea what a TLX was. The 4G TL was still the thing. I did not want a 4G TL... nor did I think I could afford one.

After 3 years of $375 a month, with the ability to pay more, I can see a TL or TLX being very viable... but do I really want to be making payments for another 6 years or just 3?

And that is what it is coming down to right now for me. Even prior to making this thread. Id rather be in a TLX. It's an all around better car. But I dont want to be making car payments 4 years from now.

Will I be happy with my ILX 3 years from now? Yes I would.

Would I be more happy in a TLX? Of course.

Do I want to make those payments for another 6 years? Not really
While I don't own either an ILX or a TLX, I've had both as loaners (tech or above) and I've got to say that I liked the ILX more and, quite frankly, I see the TLX as a "large on the outside, small on the inside" ILX.

That said, there are several things that haven't been raised yet:

Is there something you don't like about the ILX?
Is there something you don't like about YOUR ILX?
How does your payoff compare to actual resale value?
Depending on state - have you already paid the sales tax an the full value of the ILX?

The mentality of the average buyer is to flip the cars every few years. Although the average age of a car on the road is 11.5 years today, that car has gone through several owners. These forums perpetuate that "newest is greatest".

In the last 15 years, I've owned 8 new cars and in the last 40 years I've owned close to 30 (including 6 Mercedes Benz, 2 Jags, a 'vette, a Typhoon and so forth - most but the MBs bought new).

I've had my (2nd) TSX wagon for two years and 45k miles now and periodically get the itch for a new car. When I do, I make a list of advantages and disadvantages of the new car and realize that I'd miss the TSX and regret selling it unless it was traded for a 350 wagon - but - if I got a 350 wagon then I'd want the toys to go with it and that then stickers at $72k. Luckily, I could afford it, but why? The car is a daily commuter and MBs have some major issues as the miles pile on.

In addition, I'd have to clearbra and Opti-Coat my new car so that is even more money invested. The state of VA has a personal property tax so that would go us as would my (currently ridiculously low) insurance rates. All that factored in - and without taking the cost of the new car into consideration - it would cost me $5000 to buy a new car above and beyond the cost of the new one.

I've "resigned" myself to driving my TSX for the next few years and I'm quite happy about it. I just bought a replacement trunk liner because mine was ripping and I might do a nice 50% ceramic tint this year.

For the OP, he has invested a lot in mods. He has built his credit and has a pretty nice looking car (even if it might not be to everyone's taste) that cost a decent bit to get into that shape. It appears to be in great mechanical condition.

Objectively, if the buy out price is at or below the market value, then the logical choice is to buy the car and drive it until the wheels fall off.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
While I don't own either an ILX or a TLX, I've had both as loaners (tech or above) and I've got to say that I liked the ILX more and, quite frankly, I see the TLX as a "large on the outside, small on the inside" ILX.

That said, there are several things that haven't been raised yet:

Is there something you don't like about the ILX?
Is there something you don't like about YOUR ILX?
How does your payoff compare to actual resale value?
Depending on state - have you already paid the sales tax an the full value of the ILX?

The mentality of the average buyer is to flip the cars every few years. Although the average age of a car on the road is 11.5 years today, that car has gone through several owners. These forums perpetuate that "newest is greatest".

In the last 15 years, I've owned 8 new cars and in the last 40 years I've owned close to 30 (including 6 Mercedes Benz, 2 Jags, a 'vette, a Typhoon and so forth - most but the MBs bought new).

I've had my (2nd) TSX wagon for two years and 45k miles now and periodically get the itch for a new car. When I do, I make a list of advantages and disadvantages of the new car and realize that I'd miss the TSX and regret selling it unless it was traded for a 350 wagon - but - if I got a 350 wagon then I'd want the toys to go with it and that then stickers at $72k. Luckily, I could afford it, but why? The car is a daily commuter and MBs have some major issues as the miles pile on.

In addition, I'd have to clearbra and Opti-Coat my new car so that is even more money invested. The state of VA has a personal property tax so that would go us as would my (currently ridiculously low) insurance rates. All that factored in - and without taking the cost of the new car into consideration - it would cost me $5000 to buy a new car above and beyond the cost of the new one.

I've "resigned" myself to driving my TSX for the next few years and I'm quite happy about it. I just bought a replacement trunk liner because mine was ripping and I might do a nice 50% ceramic tint this year.

For the OP, he has invested a lot in mods. He has built his credit and has a pretty nice looking car (even if it might not be to everyone's taste) that cost a decent bit to get into that shape. It appears to be in great mechanical condition.

Objectively, if the buy out price is at or below the market value, then the logical choice is to buy the car and drive it until the wheels fall off.
In the last 20 years, I've owned 3 cars, and only last week bought my 4th. I'll be selling/dumping the 1st car I've bought, which is an 18 year old Acura TL. I buy cars and drive them until they fall apart. Of course, the new car itch comes every so often and I spend lots of time "looking" at new cars, on the web and in person. But only when one of the cars actually falls apart do I pull out the checkbook. The money saved from not constantly flipping cars I've invested in real estate and the stock market, both of which have taken care of me very nicely.

If you've read the "Millionaire Next Door" I try to follow the basic tenets of that book. Cars and houses are bought at a level way below my means. Having money in the bank really gives you so much more freedom and security. Fancy cars can't provide that. I suspect a lot of people rolling in fancy cars just keep playing the "monthly payment, trade in for next monthly payment" game in perpetuity.

Last edited by schen72; 03-07-2016 at 12:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TacoBello (03-08-2016)
Old 03-07-2016, 04:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys. A little late as this went down a month ago.

Ive kept the ILX and signed on for an extended warranty.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:11 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys. A little late as this went down a month ago.

Ive kept the ILX and signed on for an extended warranty.
While you may not have benefited from the advice, others may find value in it.

It sounds like you took our advice before we gave it
Old 03-08-2016, 04:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ceb
While you may not have benefited from the advice, others may find value in it.

It sounds like you took our advice before we gave it
Pretty much. Im happy with the decision.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Pretty much. Im happy with the decision.
I think keeping it was the smart move. Now drive it until it falls apart.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by schen72
I think keeping it was the smart move. Now drive it until it falls apart.
Ill mod it until i have a kid then return what i can to stock and hand it over.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Yeah, I agree. As cool as it is to get a new or newer car every few years, it makes zero sense financially. But maybe it's just because I'm a cheap fuck

I buy used (5-10 years old) and keep them for as long as I can.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Yeah, I agree. As cool as it is to get a new or newer car every few years, it makes zero sense financially. But maybe it's just because I'm a cheap fuck

I buy used (5-10 years old) and keep them for as long as I can.
I'm cheap too. Although I did buy all my cars new. But I keep them until they fall apart. Playing the game of new cars all the time with the latest and greatest is fun, but ultimately a waste of money. It's fun to look at new cars though.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:00 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a 2013 ILX 2.4, lease is up at the end of May. Even after I drive cross-country next month it'll have, at most, about 26,000 miles on it by then, at the end of a 36,000-mile lease. The market value and buyout price should be just about the same. Given that, and given that I like the car and want to keep my stick-shift, I'll probably buy it.
Old 05-29-2021, 10:22 AM
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
deleted - wrong forum