1st Generation Acura ILX Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 10:28 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems to be a car for people who don't care about how a car drives or what else is available... I bet lots will sell without so much as a test drive.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Lightbulb cars.com

When Acura introduced its 2013 ILX sedan at the 2012 Chicago Auto Show, we wondered why the company would add another small sedan, just under the TSX in size and price. We also wondered if the demand truly exists for a luxury car of this size and price, which was projected by Acura as "well under $30,000." (We published complete pricing information last night.) But I had wondered the same thing about the Buick Verano, and once I drove that model and saw the differences between it and the Chevrolet Cruze on which it's based, I couldn't deny its appeal.

To make a decision on the ILX, I'd have to drive it. Yesterday I did—all 3 variants: the 2.0L, 2.4L and 1.5L Hybrid.

For one, the ILX is lower and about 1.5 inches wider than the Civic, and its torsional rigidity (the body's resistance to twisting) is greater, by 18% in front and 11% in rear. The ILX uses different shock absorbers, called amplitude reactive dampers, typically found in European luxury cars. The 2-piston systems are said to provide a soft ride without sacrificing sharper bump absorption or cornering performance.

The ILX also has a faster steering ratio and upgraded hardware, such as a larger-diameter steering shaft, for improved feel. There's more noise abatement as well: thicker window glass, more insulation and active noise cancellation in models with 17-inch wheels, among other measures.

How does this all translate to the driving experience?

1st I drove the 2.4, which is most like the Civic Si in that it has a 201-horsepower. 2.4-liter 4-cylinder engine and comes only with a 6-speed manual transmission. As expected, it's quick, though the torque peak of 170 pounds-feet doesn't give the car the urgency some drivers want off the line. The engine and exhaust sound pretty good, but it gets loud and intrusive as the revs climb to where you'll get the most out of it.

The manual is satisfying, once you get beyond the unreasonable expectations evoked by its shift lever. (The sight of that shifter always recalls the Honda S2000, but alas nothing has ever matched that car's rifle-bolt precision.) The gear ratios are well-matched to the cause.

Despite the special provisions, the steering feel is lacking. Torque steer is under control, though it seems to come with a stiffening of the steering wheel, which is perhaps a countermeasure enacted through the electric power steering.

Where the ILX 2.4 is most like the Civic Si is in the most disappointing way: body roll. This trim level has the same suspension tuning as the other models, and it simply needs more control over body lean. Without the confidence and roadholding that comes with competent body control, the 2.4's extra power is mostly wasted.

The ride quality is pretty good, though, exhibiting the road-surface awareness we expect from Acura—without undue punishment on one extreme or wallow on the other.

I also drove the ILX Hybrid, Acura's first, whose mileage (originally estimated at 35/38 mpg city/highway) is now an officially EPA-estimated 39/38 mpg. It's significantly lower than the Civic Hybrid, at 44/44 mpg.

Though the powertrain hardware is the same and the ILX Hybrid has a rear spoiler and low-rolling-resistance tires, the Acura doesn't make as many aerodynamic concessions. It's also about 100 pounds heavier and its hybrid system is tuned for greater responsiveness.

On the road, the hybrid doesn't exhibit too much of the delayed acceleration response we've come to tolerate in many hybrids—known as the rubber-band or motorboat effect—at least not when accelerating from a stop. There's more of it if you nail the gas once already in motion, but three drive modes let you trade mileage for responsiveness: The Econ button makes the car reticent to rev the engine, the Sport mode keeps the revs higher all the time and the normal Drive mode, as you'd expect, is right in between. Not a bad arrangement. If those don't work for you, you can use the steering-wheel paddles to select among 7 fixed ratios for the continuously variable automatic transmission.

The ILX Hybrid isn't quick and the brakes have a dreadfully mushy pedal, but if you go into it with proper hybrid expectations (quirky acceleration and braking, not much liveliness or fun), it should satisfy you.

With a 2.0-liter 4-cylinder rather than the Civic's 1.8-liter, the ILX 2.0 strikes a good balance, which is what Acura intended. It didn't feel demonstrably quicker than the Civic to me, though, perhaps because of the increased weight—about 145 pounds more than the automatic-equipped Civic EX. The 5-speed automatic is well-behaved, providing smooth shifts and quicker kickdown when it's time to pass.

The ILX is definitely quieter than the Civic, though not exceptionally quiet, and if memory serves, not as serene as the Verano. Rather than a pitter-patter when traversing pavement cracks and tar patches, the tires emit more of a distant low-frequency drumbeat.

It goes without saying that the ILX's interior quality is better than the Civic's widely criticized cabin (which Honda has acknowledged). All of the test cars I drove had at least the Premium option package and thus perforated leather-and-vinyl seats, which are well-executed. The dashboard has low-gloss soft surfaces, and the center control panel has an interesting finish. Less impressive is the silver-gray trim elsewhere and the black plastic at the front of the armrests and around the door handles.

A little more consistency would help, as would some color, especially when the ILX is up against the Verano. With the exception of the optional ivory-colored seats and select surfaces in our 2.0 test car, this Acura is characteristically black and gray.

My day of driving ILXes ended with an interstate trip back to Cars.com with the 2.0 for further evaluation, and the seats proved comfortable even after five hours of highway driving. Did Acura produce a better Civic? Of course. But is the $25,900 ILX better than the $22,585 Verano or other competitors? I'm skeptical, but I and the other editors will scrutinize this volume model and publish a full review in the near future.

The following 2 users liked this post by TSX69:
ostrich (04-21-2012), Rocket_man (04-21-2012)
Old 04-21-2012, 09:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Going to be interesting to see how well it sells.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:34 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
I'd just like to say thanks to TSX69 for posting up these reviews. He does it all the time, not just here but everywhere. He takes the time to post the photos as well as the text in an easy-to-read manner, and IMO you don't get enough credit for it.
The following users liked this post:
TSX69 (04-22-2012)
Old 04-21-2012, 09:46 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Originally Posted by Aman
I'd just like to say thanks to TSX69 for posting up these reviews. He does it all the time, not just here but everywhere. He takes the time to post the photos as well as the text in an easy-to-read manner, and IMO you don't get enough credit for it.
I've always noticed that. Thanks for taking time out your day TSX69 to post reviews and the pics
TSX69 (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 02:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,651 Likes on 13,891 Posts
Originally Posted by doopstr
Going to be interesting to see how well it sells.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 248 Likes on 229 Posts
I agree, it saves us searching out all of the different reviews. It must be a fair amount of work to do this and I too appreciate his work in doing this for us.
TSX69 (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 12:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
would have considered it if it had a 2.5L or at least 7 speeds with the 2.0. I prefer the new turbo 1.8L C250 here in canada.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:45 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
Probably would trade for it if it had 6SP auto. Looking for a 4 cyl that burns regular gas. Premium in the TL is starting to dent the pockets.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:00 PM
Safety Car

Post DailyTech

The ILX proves most fit as a hybrid, not as strong a challenger in non-hybrid form

The launch of a hybrid is always an exciting event and the launch of the 2013 Acura ILX is no exception [1][2][3]. In a week of driving I was able to test every variant of the ILX -- the base 2.0L model, the 2.4L manual, and the 1.5L hybrid variant. I came in with relatively high expectations for the new luxury hybrid. Which model, if any might appeal to you? Read on for some first impressions.

I. Acura's Bid at Entry Level Luxury Buyers

Acura, the luxury division of Honda Motor Comp. (TYO:7267), has created a brand new model with the ILX. The ILX inherits the legacy of the CSX, a model that sold only to the Canadian market. The compact sedan is very closely related the Civic, being built on the same platform. Thus there's some resemblance in the overall body shape, though the styling has been made much more aggressive with swooping lines along the flanks.

The hybrid variant inherits a bit extra from the Civic platform -- its hybrid internals. Again, here we see a bit of tweaking, but as they say, the apple never falls too far from the tree.

Deciding exactly what the ILX is competing with is a bit tough -- tougher yet for the hybrid. Acura wants to promote the vehicle as a competitor to Audi's (the luxury brand of Volkswagen Group (ETR:VOW3)) A3 or the Volvo’s (owned by Hong Kong's Geely Holdings Group (HKG:0175)) S40. These are favorable comparison in price, but not in features.

A more favorable (and practical) luxury comparison in terms of price and features is the Buick Verano, an entry-level luxury entrant from General Motors (GM).

To conjure up a couple of non-luxury comparisons, the car is about the same size as a Ford Focus or Toyota Motor Comp.'s (TYO:7203) base Prius. However, both of those vehicles have a higher/more swooping roof and the ILX seemed a bit longer body-wise and a bit wider.

Probably the closest competitor to the hybrid model would be Lexus' (Toyota's luxury brand) CT 200h. But again, the swooping roof and hatchback body style of the CT 200h makes for a decided visual difference from the more traditional styling for the ILX.

The swooping lines convey a sporty feel, the grill says "luxury", and the more traditional top is less visually offending to my eyes than the swooping roofs of the Prius, Focus, and CT 200h. I'm relatively tall (~6 ft. 3 in.) but I did not have any trouble with the lower roof. Honestly, having test driven the Prius and having a family member that owns a 2010 Prius, I can say that the Prius has a ridiculously high ceiling.

Perhaps the ILX will suffer aerodynamics-wise from its lower, less bulbous/tear-drop shaped design. But it does look better to me.

Inside you have the expected bare necessities of entry-level luxury, namely lots of leather. The trim is largely hard molded plastic though, betraying the "entry" in entry-level luxury. Overall the interior is modest, but does not wow, styling wise.

I did appreciate the relatively large amount of legroom in the rear seat. Sitting in the Prius (if you're tall like me) can be a painful experience. There's definitely a bit more legroom in the Acura ILX, but it's kind of like moving up from economy class to business class -- there's a little extra leg room, but you're not exactly stretching out.

The vehicle's standard features include keyless access, power moonroof, push-button start, and 16-inch aluminum wheels. The car also carries Acura's MyFord Touch/SYNC challenger, Handsfreelink, which integrates Bluetooth handset syncing, SMS text messaging support, USB MP3 player support, and Pandora.

A premium package adds heated leather seats, fog lights, HID headlights, and larger 17-inch aluminum wheels into the mix. It also adds a multiview rear camera. This basically makes the plain of view behind the car much wider.

As I said with the new RDX (which also features multiview), this is a terrific feature. I still feel that the kind of narrow backup cameras found in Fords and many other vendors’ models create some safety hazards, even as they prevent other hazards. Specifically, narrow-range cameras help to see things immediately behind and underneath the vehicle, but often distract/prevent the driver from looking to the sides to see oncoming people, pets, etc. Multiview can pick of many of these peripheral objects and is hence much safer.

The premium package (which is not directly available in the hybrid variant) is finished off with a 360-watt sound system.

A technology package upgrades the center stack interface adding a HDD-based navigation system, Homelink remote control, 365-watt ELS surround sound audio, 15 GB of music storage, and Acuralink Traffic & Weather. The technology package for the hybrid is more expensive adds all the premium package features except for the larger wheels.

The technology package is available on the base model and the hybrid, but not for the manual (2.4L). Overall the features are decent, but there's some definite missing items such as rain-sensing wipers, Active Park Assist (APS), Blind Spot Information System (BLIS), dimming mirrors, adaptive cruise control.

The voice control on HandsFreeLink is actually surprisingly good, however, I do take issue with the fact that the system (unlike MyFord Touch) locks you out of inputting navigations while rolling. This could easily be done with a voice command (as in MyFord Touch), but Acura just nixes it. As a result the navigation is a lot less useful than Ford's as spur-of-the-moment destinations require you to pull over and stop somewhere and then input your new destination.

Also the system overall lacks the visual polish and cohesive menu structure of MyFord Touch. I still feel Ford has the best infotainment system out there. But the HandsFreeLink is a passable infotainment entry and gets the job done, adding value to the vehicle.

Oh, of course, the price. Pricing starts at $25,900 USD for the inline-4 cylinder 2.0L base model and jumps up to $29,200 USD for the base model with the premium package. For the latter price you can get the 2.4L inline-4 manual variant, which also comes with the premium package. The hybrid starts at $28,900 USD.

A fully equipped 2.0L with the tech package will run an additional $2,200 USD for a total of $31,400 USD, while the fully equipped hybrid minus the larger wheels will cost an extra $5,500 USD, for a total of $34,300 USD. Note, again the manual comes up a bit short in features, not having access to the tech package.

II. Scoping the Competition

So we mentioned the price, now how does that stack up to the competitors mentioned. Let's look:

The 2013 Acura ILX does not stack up very favorable to the 2012 Buick Verano on paper. Its only advantage is mpg, but will 150hp be enough? Read on.

As for the ILX hybrid, it's somewhat more competitive with the Lexus CT 200h. The Lexus leads in the mpg and power dept., but the ILX has a more “mainstream” design and it leads in the price department.

Without further ado, let’s move on to the driving impressions.

III. On the Road -- Impressions for Each Variant

Handling is a perennial strength for Acura, and the ILX is no exception. It features sporty handling. Unfortunately the base model does not feel very sporty, due to the sluggish acceleration -- the model feels underpowered in "drive".

Sport Mode, however, breathes some life into the otherwise boring 5-speed and accentuates the handling, which is very good, as seen in the shots taking below as the vehicle hurdled down dusty desert mountain highways.

Acura seriously needs to to a 6-speed to improve the ILX's performance and fuel economy.

Evidence of this can be found in the 6-speed manual, which is, in a word, "fun". All the promises that fell short in the base model are mostly fulfilled in the manual. While this variant sadly can't get the technology package, it does offer a much improved driving experienced.

Of course, Acura says that manuals only account for a tiny percentage of purchases -- 3 to 4 percent of purchases was one unofficial estimate I heard bandied about -- so that could explain why the manual (sadly) isn't getting the tech package.

The hybrid variant lived up to the estimated fuel economy. Driving it conservatively on a mix of highway/city, I averaged around 39 mpg.

At the end of the trip I decided to have a bit of fun and test the hybrid's power. Unsurprisingly, the low horsepower motor struggled, but it didn't really feel that much more underpowered than base 2.0L non-hybrid version. And given that I expect hybrids to feel somewhat underpowered, I didn't really have any complaints performance-wise.

While the Lexus 200h and third generation Prius beat the Civic/ILX hybrid in horsepower, I find that the Honda vehicles don't feel noticeably less powerful. Perhaps this has something to do with the torque delivered at various RPMs, but whatever the reason, the ILX Hybrid and Lexus 200h feel roughly equivalent power-wise despite the on-paper spec favoring Toyota.

IV. Conclusions

The 2013 Acura ILX is an interesting duck.

First, let's consider the base model. It certainly fulfills a niche with tremendous potential -- entry-level luxury and offers a decent combined package.

The problem is that the competitors are bringing their A-game to this segment, so an otherwise nice vehicle may come up a bit short. The ILX certainly looks terrific and gets good MPG, but the 2012 Buick Verano beats it in most key metrics, including power and price. That beating is expected to get a whole lot worse when the 2013 Buick Verano Turbo -- rumored for a fall launch -- lands. That Verano Turbo is expected to pack 250 hp -- ouch.

Perhaps, Acura deserves a bit more credit for allowing customers to choose between an underpowered, higher-MPG driving style, and a more-powerful, lower-MPG driving style. For some this will be an attractive combo.

I think the 2.4L manual ILX is a much more solid competitor to the 2012 Buick Verano. However, the issue is that Acura thinks people don't necessarily want manuals. Maybe this is true, maybe not, but the net result is that this superior model will be scarce, so I'm basing my non-hybrid ILX v. Verano comparisons on the base model.

But ultimately the big question is why Honda is late to gasoline direct injection (GDI) or using low-displacement 4-cylinder engines coupled with turbochargers like GM, Ford, and Hyundai. Either improvement could have added to the power without subtracting from the fuel economy. Likewise, a 6-speed could have allowed for better power delivery while also improving fuel economy.

I honestly expect these features to be adopted with next ILX model. But Acura definitely suffers from being a latecomer to the GDI/turbocharging game.

As for the hybrid, I have warmer feelings about it, and feel that it could be somewhat of a winner. I always thought the luxury market makes the best sense for hybrids, given the small premium. Mass-market hybrids that aren't named "Prius" have struggled. The luxury segment may prove a much more natural sales fit, given that the small cost impact is more easily absorbed in a higher sticker (of course some evidence points to the contrary).

The 2013 Acura ILX hybrid trades blows with the Lexus CT 200h in power. It also
handles much better than the 3rd generation Prius I drove, so I would expect it to handle better than the Lexus CT 200h. I also personally vastly prefer the styling of the Acura to the more bloated, bulbous Prius-like look of the Lexus.

Are these advantages enough offset the ~2 mpg lead the Lexus holds? Well, it depends. If all you care about is mpg, you should be buying a Prius anyway. But for the luxury buyer who cares about both mpg and looks, the Acura ILX hybrid at least doesn’t look like it stepped off the set of a sci-fi movie.

When it comes to entry-level, compact luxury sedans, the ILX doesn’t really make a strong case for itself, especially when compared to new competitors like the Buick Verano or even the existing Acura TSX. But the hybrid model is a worthy addition to the Acura lineup and a valiant competitor to Lexus’ CT 200h.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:24 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Another great review. I've been waiting for some better pics of the ILX and it actually looks pretty good now that i've seen more pics.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:59 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
"But ultimately the big question is why Honda is late to gasoline direct injection (GDI) or using low-displacement 4-cylinder engines coupled with turbochargers like GM, Ford, and Hyundai. Either improvement could have added to the power without subtracting from the fuel economy. Likewise, a 6-speed could have allowed for better power delivery while also improving fuel economy.

I honestly expect these features to be adopted with next ILX model. But Acura definitely suffers from being a latecomer to the GDI/turbocharging game."

Yes they are late to the game but hopefully thr Earth Dreams engines will make a little difference. I can't rememeber if any of them were turbocharged. I think not.

If the ILX were several thousand cheaper it would be much more compelling. I'm baffled at the pricing. Production in the US was supposed to keep the price down. There is not thousands of dollars in added content over the Civic. In every other car in its line up Acura offers similar features to its competitors but at a lower price point. That's how it competed. Except for the ILX. Now they are asking consumers to pay a premium over thier competitors. I don't think it is going to work.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Safety Car

Post AutoBlog

Acura has a long and storied history of being an innovator since its creation in 1986. As the 1st luxury brand from Japan, the marque brought with it the 1st variable valve timing technology, the 1st drive-by-wire electronic throttle, the 1st in-dash navigation system and the 1st instance of torque-vectoring all-wheel drive.

Laudable accomplishments, all of them, and Acura reaped rewards for the technological advancements it brought to the automotive realm. Venerable nameplates like Legend and Integra launched Acura into 1st place in the premium luxury car segment in 1987, the brand's first full year of sales.

And then things started to go downhill. The Legend was replaced by the poorly received RL and the discontinuation of the Integra in 2001 and the RSX a few years later in 2006 left Acura without a proper entry-level model. Acura sales peaked in 2005 and have floundered ever since.

Is Acura's new ILX the machine it needs to inject some much-needed life into its lineup?

Walking around the new 2013 Acura ILX, there's little to tip off the casual observer that this car shares its platform with the Honda Civic. This is a very good thing, as nobody who's shopping the entry-level premium segment wants their vehicle to look like a mainstream compact.

By now, you've surely developed an opinion on the sharp creases and bold look of modern Acura products, so we're not going to dwell on its beak-like fascia other than to say it's been downsized on the ILX and that it mostly blends in with its overall design ethos. We wouldn't expect the face of the ILX to deter many buyers if they are happy with what the rest of the car offers, which is not something we could say of some recent Acura designs.

A look at the ILX in profile tells you that Acura isn't backing all the way down from its somewhat controversial styling theme, known at the automaker as Keen Edge Dynamics. The ILX is a bit softer overall than the TSX and TL sedans while retaining plenty of familial ties. New to Acura are the ILX's upswept rear haunches and ersatz fastback roofline. Despite that flowing rear window, this car is not a hatchback.

In front of the driver sits a pair of gauges flanking an electronic multi-information display that can show upcoming maintenance requirements, average speed, instant and average fuel consumption or estimated range with the current fuel load. Acura says this cluster is designed to help the driver concentrate on the task of driving, while the passenger enjoys a deeply carved dash that gives the impression of space and roominess.

All the interior bits and pieces are well integrated into an overall look, and are all crafted from upscale materials. The upper dash pad is soft to the touch and offers a pleasant contrast to the metallic look of the lower dash and center stack. The steering wheel is nicely styled, with a thick rim that feels good in the hand. We were a bit put off by the sheer number of buttons on either side of the wheel, but managed to figure them all out in time.

The steering wheel is also home to a pair of paddle shifters on models equipped with an automatic transmission, which shamefully still has only 5 forward ratios. We didn't get a chance to sample the standard cloth interior, but the optional leather hides were plenty comfortable and are available in either ebony or parchment. The red anodized start/stop button is a nice, sophisticated touch.

There are 3 interior packages offered in the 2013 ILX, including an unnamed base model that offers a CD player with six speakers and a USB port, Bluetooth connectivity that includes an SMS text messaging feature and a Pandora Internet Radio interface. A 5-inch color LCD screen in the center of the dash comes standard with the base and the middle-rung Premium package, and we didn't care for the large plastic housing required to fill the void left by not splurging for the Tech pack's eight-inch screen, as it cheapens the feel of an otherwise well-done interior. All models deserve the larger screen if its placement is going to be made so prominent.

In any case, the Premium package does get the buyer XM satellite radio (plus one extra speaker) and the multi-view rear camera that offers 3 views of what's behind the car, including a very helpful wide-angle shot. Heated leather seats (with eight-way power adjustments on the driver's side), HID headlamps and 17-inch wheels round out the Premium package.

Stepping all the way up the ladder by choosing the Technology package is the only way to get an ILX with navigation or Acura's Real-Time Traffic and Weather. This top-level spec also includes a 10-speaker, 365-Watt ELS Surround Sound system and a 15-gigabyte internal hard drive.

Opting for an ILX powered by the 2.4-liter 4 cylinder will net the buyer different gauges with red illumination; stainless pedals; silver stitching on the seats, door panels and steering wheel; and a nicely weighted alloy and leather shift knob. In one glaring omission, however, it is impossible to order an ILX with the 201-horsepower 2.4-liter engine and the Technology package. So, if you want navigation and its 8-inch screen, you need to stick with the smaller 2.0-liter engine and 5-speed automatic. Bummer.

Fortunately, the 2.0-liter engine's 150 horsepower (at a high 6,500 RPM) and 140 pound-feet of torque (at 4,300 RPM) is satisfying enough around town and for daily commuting duties. The engine is smooth, quiet and generally unobtrusive, which we figure is exactly what many ILX buyers will be looking for. Fuel mileage comes in at an estimated 24 city, 35 highway. That's pretty good when compared to its only natural competitor, the Buick Verano, which scores EPA ratings of 21/32, though with a larger and significantly more powerful (180 hp, 171 lb-ft) 2.4-liter engine. Again, we point an ET-sized finger at the aging 5-speed automatic, if for no other reason than Acura could have eked additional performance and/or economy out of a unit with 6 or more speeds – a trick seemingly every other automaker has figured out.

If you want the best fuel efficiency you can get from an ILX, you need to opt for the Hybrid, whose 1.5-liter engine and continuously variable gearbox are shared with the Civic. With 91 horsepower from the engine and a maximum of 23 more horses from the electric motor, the ILX Hybrid is predictably passive in its pace. Slapping the shifter into Sport mode helps a little, but there's just no way the combined torque of 127 lb-ft from 1,000 to 3,000 RPM will get the vehicle moving in a hurry. It's not horrible when meandering away in urban settings, but that's the most praise we can offer its ability to get the show on the road, and we twice found ourselves puckering tightly as we goaded the ILX Hybrid into turning across traffic – once as a driver and once as a passenger.

What really matters with a hybrid is efficiency, though, and the ILX Hybrid is rated at 39 mpg in the city and 38 on the highway. That's not exactly bad, but it's uncompetitive with the 43/40 rating of the Lexus CT200h. If you plan to do most of your driving on the superslab, the Audi A3, when equipped with its optional turbo diesel engine, manages 42 mpg on the highway. Both of those models are in the same ballpark as the ILX Hybrid's $28,900 (*add $895 to all prices quoted for destination) starting price, which jumps to $34,400 when optioned with the Technology package. Add it all up and we'd be hard pressed to recommend the slow and not-so-stunningly efficient ILX Hybrid to fuel-conscious buyers shopping in the entry-level premium segment.

On a brighter note, the 2.4-liter powerplant, coupled to a sweet-shifting 6-speed manual gearbox, has enough gumption to make the ILX legitimately entertaining when the road opens up a bit. There aren't any changes to the suspension with the larger engine, but the standard MacPherson struts up front and multi-link arrangement in back are more than up to the task when the going gets twisty. Acura has fitted the ILX with the same rebound spring and Amplitude Reactive Damper system that we liked so much in the 2013 RDX. Coupled to a steering ratio that's 6.8-percent quicker than the one used in the Honda Civic it's based on, plus a more rigid steering shaft with a forged yoke joint, the hardware underpinning the Acura ILX is capable of delivering on the sporty promise of its 2.4-liter engine and manual transmission. The 2.4 model also gets larger brake rotors (11.8 inches versus 11.1 for the 2.0 and 10.8 for the Hybrid) up front.

Sadly, as with many such systems, the electronic power steering provides only a vague sense of what the front wheels are doing and it takes time to get used to the artificial feel provided by the tiller's e-brain.

As we mentioned before, Acura won't let you order an ILX with the 2.4-liter engine if you want the Technology package. That means the enthusiast buyer will have to go without navigation or the high-output stereo system. If you can live without those bits, an ILX 2.4 with the Premium package will cost $29,200 and delivers estimated fuel mileage of 22 city and 31 highway.

That leaves us with the standard ILX configuration – a 2.0-liter 4 cylinder with an automatic transmission. Starting at $25,900 in base trim with 16-inch wheels and pegging the fully loaded meter at $31,400 with the Technology kit and its 17-inch alloys, this is the ILX we think will suit the majority of shoppers. At least those shoppers who don't think Acura is charging too much for its smallest product...

We, on the other hand, do think Acura is charging too much for the 2013 ILX. The car itself, while not terribly exciting to drive, is a pretty nice way to get from point A to point B, but so is the Buick Verano, which, with a starting price of $23,470, is several thousand dollars cheaper. If you want a sportier option, we suggest you wait for the upcoming turbocharged Verano that will be available with a six-speed manual – we predict that car will come pretty well equipped for about the same price as the ILX 2.4, except that it will have navigation, a big LCD screen in the dash and considerably more than the ILX's maximum of 201 horsepower.

If you don't care about driving a car wearing a "premium" badge, the Ford Focus Titanium can be had with all the goodies you can get in an ILX – plus a bunch of technology, such as Active Park Assist, that you can't get at all in the Acura – for the same price as the base ILX. And if you do care about having that badge (and the expected reliability and high resale value that goes along with it), the larger and more entertaining TSX sedan can be had for $30,010 – and it includes the bigger 2.4-liter engine and leather as standard equipment.

Acura hopes to find 35,000 buyers for the ILX sedan per year, and they very well may hit that figure. If you're in the market for an entry-level vehicle from a premium automaker, by all means have a look at the ILX... just be sure to check out its competition before signing on the dotted line. As much as we'd like to tell you that the ILX heralds a return to Acura's roots – innovation, value and technology – we can't, because it simply doesn't.
The following 3 users liked this post by TSX69:
jwong77 (04-30-2012), lmbebo (04-23-2012), Rocket_man (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 01:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Acura definitely missed the mark with the ILX 2.4. Given the not insignificantly lower weight, it seems to exhibit no benefit over the TSX in acceleration or fuel economy. And while it has proximity keyless access and starting, it does not seem to have anything else that the TSX does not already have and it gives up both interior and luggage room to the larger TSX.

It seems like it would have made more sense to take the 2.0L motor and add DI and/or forced induction to it to get a motor that makes more like 220-240 bhp/lb-ft of torque and the same or better fuel economy as the 2.4L. Then, they could have an uprated model for the truly performance oriented and a new base motor for the TSX, which could move further up market to be closer to the A4.

Also, I understand the cost effectiveness of mass producing the dash panels with the hood for the navi screen, but if you are going to do that, then put the damn screen in there. Volvo's new Sensus system (very nice, btw) does exactly this and several other manufacturers have taken to adding in the screens even when there is no navigation just to give their dashes a more upscale look. The tiny little 5-inch screen just looks absurd surrounded by all that plastic. I would pay an additional $500 to have the nicer looking screen included as a part of the car for all of the infotainment system controls even if I do not have the navigation system installed.
lmbebo (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 11:38 PM
Summer is Coming

There is one thing Acura can do to fix the problems with the ILX.... lower the price. At a lower price (to its competition) it is a compelling car. I hope they can sell 35,000 a year. But I'm not so sure.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:58 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think they are pricing themselves out of the market right now.

I'm considering a lease, if the MF and Residual are good. If not, ILX is not worth the money.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:27 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by DEman19901
Probably would trade for it if it had 6SP auto. Looking for a 4 cyl that burns regular gas. Premium in the TL is starting to dent the pockets.
They still recommend premium for the ILX. The new Focus has more power burning regular. Go figure.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:57 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
It's very annoying how everyone's in an uproar over this car being based on the Civic. I rarely hear complaints about the TL being based on the Accord.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:54 PM
Team Owner

Looks nice!
Old 04-25-2012, 07:34 PM
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts
I wanted Acura to do something different with this gateway into the brand vehicle. Maybe a hatchback?
Old 04-27-2012, 08:22 AM
Safety Car

Post CarConnection

2013 Acura ILX Review
Meta Rating: 7.4/10
Bottom Line: The 2013 Acura ILX is a balanced, if compromised, entry-level/near-luxury sedan that combines fun and style for an affordable price.

Acura has had a hard time building and maintaining a brand identity over the past decade. Itself unsure of whether it should strive for "Tier 1" luxury status or position itself as a near-luxury, high-tech brand for up-and-coming professionals and hip retirees, its product has reflected this lack of direction. The 2013 ILX continues this confusion, especially in light of the coming reborn NSX, but it's worth evaluating the smallest Acura sedan on its own merits.

Based not-so-loosely on the latest generation of the Honda Civic, the ILX nonetheless has its own face: a more toned-down, widely-palatable version of the chromed plastic grille Acura introduced a few years ago. The fenders swell gently from the sides, there are character lines to accent its shape, and the greenhouse arches gracefully ove the passenger compartment. On the whole it's a handsome, if not lust-inducing, sedan. Inside, it looks like a typical Acura: edgy curves, contoured surfaces, and easy-to-read gauges. It's a pleasant place to travel.

There are 3 versions of the ILX available, named for their drivetrains: the 2.0L, the 2.4L, and the Hybrid. The 2.0L offers a 4-cylinder, 2.0-liter engine rated at 150 horsepower and 140 pound-feet of torque. A 5-speed automatic with paddle shifters is standard. It scores an EPA-estimated gas mileage rating of 24 mpg city and 35 mpg highway.

The 2.4L is the sporty model, with what is essentially the Civic Si's 201-horsepower, 170-pound-foot 2.4-liter 4-cylinder mated to a 6-speed manual transmission--no automatic is offered with this model. It's the fun-to-drive version, but you'll have to sacrifice more creature comforts than the automatic transmission to get it, but more on that later. It's rated at 22 mpg city and 31 mpg highway.

Finally, the ILX Hybrid gets its go from a 1.5-liter 4-cylinder engine paired with an integrated hybrid drive system and continuously variable transmission (CVT). Total combined power is rated at 111 horsepower and 127 pound-feet of torque. The EPA estimates gas mileage at 39 mpg city and 38 mpg highway.

All 3 share the same basic lightweight chassis, which means all 3 feel nimble enough in the corners, and brake very well. The suspension tuning on the 2.4L the same as the other two models, and falls short of true sport-sedan feel. The 2.0L and Hybrid models put comfort above outright pace, and succeed in delivering smooth, even ride quality. While the 2.4L is the sportiest model, the 2.0L is also fun-to-drive, with enough pep for most people and somewhat better gas mileage. The Hybrid, on the other hand, feels very slow in many situations--too slow even for fast-flowing suburban traffic at times.

Inside, the cabin is comfortable and spacious--surprisingly so in the rear seats, with enough room even for taller adults to fit comfortably. Ergonomically, things are laid out very well, with all controls easy to identify and use without taking one's eyes from the road. Fit and finish is also very good, with solid-feeling construction and quality materials (plastic, rubber, and leather) in all touch-points. Cabin noise is low, though not quite mausoleum-quiet like you'll find in some luxury cars a bit farther up the ladder, including Acura's own.

There's also a fairly roomy trunk, ample in-cabin storage in cubbies and door pockets, with well-placed cup holders. Cargo volume is a solid 12.4 cubic feet (10.0 cubic feet for the Hybrid, which places the battery pack behind the rear seats). Visibility is very good thanks to the large windows and well-placed seating position.

Features and options for the 2013 Acura ILX are grouped neatly into packages: Premium and Technology. The Premium Package includes leather seating surfaces; 8-way power adjustable driver seat; 2-way heated front seats; a premium sound system with Bluetooth, USB, and Pandora functionality; an auto-dimming rearview mirror; a multi-view rear camera; and on non-Hybrid models, an active sound cancellation system that further damps noise within the cabin. The Technology Package includes: navigation with voice recognition, a rear-view camera, real-time traffic/weather, and AcuraLink satellite communications system; plus a premium sound system with Bluetooth, USB, and Pandora among its capabilities. The Premium Package is available on all ILX models, while the Technology Package is available only on 2.0L and Hybrid models.

Standard equipment on all 2013 ILX models includes a leather-wrapped steering wheel; cloth-trimmed front seats (2.0L base and Hybrid); dual-zone automatic climate control; Bluetooth hands-free phone interface; power moonroof; keyless entry with push-button start; rear-view camera; and a 12-volt power outlet. Available accessories include larger 17-inch alloy wheels, aerodynamic bodywork, fog lights, a remote engine start, and an engine block heater.

Interior/Exterior
Though Acura doesn't like to dwell on the Honda Civic basis for the ILX, it's there--but it's all under the skin. On the outside, the ILX is its own car, with low and wide proportions, a long hood and short rear deck, aerodynamic character lines, and Acura's signature front-end look.

Riding a balance between crisp and fluid, edgy and smooth, the ILX's exterior is a more youthful take on a compact luxury car than you'll find elsewhere in the segment. The general proportions speak of sportiness (perhaps more so than the car's actual performance does), but also of refinement and confidence.

Inside, the ILX's cabin is simliarly youthful, at least in comparison with the competition, with cascading layers of surfaces in varied textures creating a flowing, connected feel across the dash and through the cabin. The driver's perspective is dominated by the focused, easy-to-read instrument and information display in the main panel, while the center stack is set high and forward for better eyes-up visibility.

The rear seat is more plainly finished, but nonetheless feels part of the overall cabin, and of the ILX's entry-luxury design aesthetic.

Performance
With 3 different powertrains available in the 2013 Acura ILX, it spans a wide range of performance characteristics, though underlying each is a balanced, relatively light chassis that makes the most of the desired tuning, be it comfort or sport.

The base model of the ILX is the 2.0L, powered by a 2.0-liter 4-cylinder engine rated at 150 horsepower and 140 pound-feet of torque. It's paired by default with a 5-speed automatic transmission with paddle-shifters mounted on the steering wheel. While the paddles add an element of fun, and even control in a passing situation, the overall demeanor of the 2.0L is relaxed and comfy--it doesn't encourage pushing the limits or exploring the capabilities of the road, much less the drivetrain. That said, it's powerful enough for daily duty, while returning a respectable 24 mpg city and 35 mpg highway.

The ILX 2.4L is the sportiest variant, with the Civic Si's 2.4-liter, 201-horsepower 4-cylinder engine under the hood. There's no automatic transmission option available with the 2.4L--it's a 6-speed manual only. Like the new Civic Si, the ILX 2.4L's power is available over a relatively broad range, but it lacks much in the way of character, and even more in the way of low-end or mid-range punch, and consequently feels a bit out of place in the otherwise laid-back ILX's form factor. The suspension is the same in the 2.4L as the rest of the ILX lineup, and it's not as sharp as we'd like in spirited driving with this engine. That said, it does iron out the bumps in a broken road quite nicely, while returning 22 mpg city and 31 mpg highway.

Finally, there's the ILX Hybrid, which gets a 1.5-liter 4-cylinder engine and an integrated hybrid electric system routed through a continuously variable transmission (CVT). Gas mileage ratings, per the EPA, are just 39 mpg city and 38 mpg highway, placing it firmly mid-pack amongst alternatives. The combined power output of 111 horsepower, however, leaves the ILX Hybrid feeling flat, and can occasionally be too little for comfort, as when merging with fast-flowing traffic. It's comfortable, but it's not much fun to drive, especially with the ultra-conservative Eco mode engaged.

Quality
Despite its entry-luxury positioning, Acura hasn't visibly skimped on the quality or construction of the 2013 ILX. While Acura's design and style may not be for everyone, it's nonetheless capable of producing very well-made, comfortable interiors--as it has in the ILX.

The front seats are roomy and comfortable, with good sight lines for the driver and plenty of adjustment for occupants both short and tall. The steering wheel, dash, and controls all feel well-made, are laid out in logical places, and respond with a sense of solidity and quality you'd expect from a more expensive car. In the back, it's equally roomy, particularly impressive for a compact car, luxury or not.

There's even a fair amount of trunk space, with the standard models ranging between 12.3 and 12.4 cubic feet, depending on options, and the Hybrid getting 10.0 cubic feet after placing the battery pack behind the rear seats. Fold-down rear seats on non-hybrid models add to the cargo area for larger items.

Safety
The 2013 Acura ILX hasn't yet been rated by either the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) or the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).

Standard safety equipment includes: Vehicle Stability Assist (stability and traction control); anti-lock brakes; electronic brake distribution; brake assist; and tire-pressure monitoring systems; plus dual-stage front, front-side, and side-curtain airbags; automatic tensioning seat belts; LATCH car-seat tether system; and design elements intended to mitigate pedestrian injury.

Features
While the 2013 Acura ILX is priced very competitively and offers convenient packaging for a coherent set of features and equipment, it lacks some of the higher-end items you'll find in slightly more expensive sedans, such as radar-adaptive cruise control, blind-spot monitoring, and heads-up displays.

The base specification of the 2013 ILX is fairly generous. It includes: Bluetooth hands-free phone interface; power moonroof; keyless entry with push-button start; rear-view camera; a leather-wrapped steering wheel; cloth-trimmed front seats (2.0L base and Hybrid); dual-zone automatic climate control; and a 12-volt power outlet. Available accessories include larger 17-inch alloy wheels, aerodynamic bodywork, fog lights, a remote engine start, and an engine block heater.

2 primary packages are available to upgrade from the base specification, the Technology Package and the Premium Package.

The Technology Package includes: premium sound system with Bluetooth, USB, and Pandora among its capabilities; plus a navigation with voice recognition, a rear-view camera, real-time traffic/weather, and AcuraLink satellite communications system; premium sound system with Bluetooth, USB, and Pandora among its capabilities.

The Premium Package includes leather seating surfaces; 8-way power adjustable driver seat; 2-way heated front seats; an auto-dimming rearview mirror; a multi-view rear camera; a premium sound system with Bluetooth, USB, and Pandora functionality; and on non-Hybrid models, an active sound cancellation system that further damps noise within the cabin.

The Premium Package is available on all ILX models (and is standard on the 2.4L), while the Technology Package is available only on 2.0L and Hybrid models.

Fuel Economy/MPG
Just a few years ago, the 2013 Acura ILX range would have been near the leading edge of gas mileage in the entry-luxury segment, but time and technology have marched forward quickly, and despite the ILX's relative light weight and compact size, it comes up a bit short in efficiency, particularly in the 2.4L and Hybrid models.

Though the EPA hasn't yet rated the 2013 ILX, Acura has provided its own projected figures for gas mileage. The base 2.0L model rates a respectable 24 mpg city and 35 mpg highway. The sporty 2.4L scores slightly worse at 22 mpg city and 31 mpg highway. The Hybrid tops them both--and outshines Lexus' HS 250h--but its 39 mpg city and 38 mpg highway are less than impressive in light of recent non-hybrid offerings from the likes of Ford, Mazda, and other non-luxury marques.

Rocket_man (04-28-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 10:02 PM
Safety Car

Lightbulb AutoMobileMag

As the 2013 Acura ILX arrives in showrooms nationwide, Jessi Lang from Motor Trend examines the new luxury sedan to better understand the new model’s significance to the brand.

Why is it such a big deal? As Lang explains, the ILX is aimed at Gen-Y buyers who now have less disposable income than their baby boomer parents. As such, the ILX must meet Acura’s luxury standards while also being remaining affordable. Lang appreciates the 2013 ILX’s trim strategy, which includes three powertrains. There’s a base 2.0-liter, a hybrid, and a sporty 2.4-liter engine also found in the Civic Si. For this episode, Lang drives the hybrid and says it should definitely appeal to the eco-conscious. However, she’s more curious about the 2.4-liter that’s mated to a 6-speed manual.

Lang finds the sheetmetal simple, yet handsome and she appreciates the interior’s workmanship. She also points out the cabin’s low noise level, thanks to an active noise cancelling system and sound insulating glass. According to Lang, this car seems to say, “There’s no need to shout.” 1 part of the interior, however, could use improvement. Find out what that is in the video posted below.

Acura ILX Goes Back to the Basics - Wide Open Throttle Episode 13 - YouTube
Rocket_man (04-28-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 08:03 AM
Safety Car

Post MotorAuthority

Hey, that's 1 fancy Civic there!

Calling the 2013 Acura ILX a gussied-up Civic is, in many ways, completely fair, but in truth, Acura has come up with a mix of near-luxury style and feel crossed with a sporty-ish sensibility that is almost completely missing from the market at the moment, and that may be where it finds its success.

In the late-1980s through the mid-1990, small, sporty mostly-luxury sedans were pretty common items--from the BMW 3-Series (particularly in the E30 generation) to the Volvo S40 to even Acura's own Legend and Vigor, and of course the Integra and RSX. While the lower end of this sport-sedan spectra never really rose into full luxury status, it nevertheless pleased many buyers--especially younger buyers looking to move up from their parent's hand-me-downs without going the econo-box route.

Today, however, there's a dearth of sport in the entry-luxury segment, and even cars that used to be small and light are no longer either; BMW's 1-Series has perhaps the best claim to that mantle, and even the starter-model 128i weighs in at a slightly porky 3,208 pounds, measures 14 feet 4 inches long, and claims nearly 6 feet of lane width--without the mirrors.

The ILX is actually a tick longer and wider than the 1-Series--about 2 inches in either direction--but it weights in at just 2,910 pounds--a 300-pound savings. Despite lacking a punchy inline 6-cylinder (much less a stout turbo version) the ILX generates a slightly-frenetic 201 horsepower and 170 pound-feet of torque in 2.4-liter guise. The standard 2.0-liter model rates a more meager 150 horsepower and 140 pound-feet of torque, while the hybrid checks in at just 111 horsepower and 127 pound-feet.

But it's not all about power these days, even when it comes to sporty cars. Take Scion's FR-S, for example: it weighs about 200 pounds less but generates the same power as the ILX 2.4-liter. Sure, like the 1-Series, it delivers its power through the rear wheels instead of the front, but even so, there's a lot to be said for cars that are light yet just powerful enough to be fun and engaging.

Unfortunately, the math comes to a screeching halt once you're behind the wheel of the ILX. Like the Civic-in-a-fancy-dress jokes indicate, this really is just the new Civic Si's powertrain we're dealing with, and it shows. Gone is the truly zingy, free-revving, and somewhat temperamental feel of the previous Civic Si's zippy 2.0-liter. Instead, there's a 2.4-liter engine that's more tractable, delivering better torque down low with less of a VTEC crossover point, and about the same horsepower rating, but the delivery is just much less exciting. Even running the close-ratio 6-speed manual (the only transmission available with the 2.4-liter model) to red line through the 1st 4 gears, there's just something…missing. It's got spirit, but no soul.

That's not to say it's not a fun car, still. The slightly too-soft suspension takes the road's imperfections with aplomb, but fails to delivery in the twistier stretches like you'd hope it would. The steering is a bit vague and heavy at freeway speeds, growing too-light and almost completely numb at lower speeds. But despite these concessions to what most will find more palatable on a daily basis, the ILX will deliver a grin on the occasional quick on-ramp or off-ramp. It just won't goad you into the canyons come Saturday.

The 2 other versions of the ILX--the 2.0-liter and the Hybrid) offer somewhat less (2.0-liter) or markedly less (Hybrid) performance, with essentially identical feel otherwise. The 2.0-liter is actually fun to drive despite its relatively wimpy power ratings, due in part to the sheer pep and personality of the smaller engine. The Hybrid, on the other hand, while competent to get through traffic, is almost painfully slow and hesitant to accelerate--slow enough to be a bit unnerving when having to pull out onto a busy suburban throughway. For all of the laggardly performance, however, the ILX only ekes out an EPA rating of 35/38 mpg--better than the 24/32 mpg of the 2.0-liter or the 20/29 mpg of the 2.4-liter, but not seriously impressive in any duel with other similarly-sized hybrids.

Inside, the ILX is actually quite nice. Materials are on par with the rest of the Acura range, or at least the mid-segment stuff, meaning decent leathers, sturdy and durable-seeming plastics, and generally impressive fit and finish. It's a quiet place, too, though not quite so quiet as the studio-like RDX. A dash of wind and road noise seeps in, but never rises to objectionable levels.

The seats are very comfortable, though perhaps a touch too soft for those more used to true sports cars and sports sedans. The seating position, steering wheel shape, and shifter positioning are all very good, too, and the manual shifter's precise, if somewhat longish throws do nothing to discourage an extra downshift or two for fun's sake.

But if you opt for the sportiest of ILX models, the 2.4-liter, you'll have to forego navigation. Why? Because Acura says the vast majority (something like 95 percent) of all buyers that opt for a manual transmission in their cars turn down the navigation upgrade. That's a shame, because the system that's available in the 2.0-liter and the hybrid is actually quite good once you're used to it. And it's a great value as part of the Technology Package.

At the end of the day with the ILX, we were left impressed with what Acura is offering for the price (the 2.4-liter model starts from $29,200--about $2,000 cheaper than the 1-Series, and as little as $25,900 for the base 2.0-liter model), but underwhelmed by what was almost-but-not-quite achieved with the suspension and performance tuning, and simply flummoxed by some of the options and packaging decisions.

If we had to choose an ILX for our own garage, it would be the 2.0-liter model, simply because it costs exactly the same as the 2.4-liter model once loaded up with the Technology Package and delivers 95 percent of the fun with better gas mileage. The Hybrid delivers improved gas mileage, but does so at the cost of any sense of fun or spirit while driving, even dipping a toe in the slightly-too-slow-for-comfort pool.

So has Acura hit that sweet spot that's been missing for most of a decade? Not quite, but it's very close.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
TFL Car //Acura ILX 0-60//

Old 05-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Team Owner

Awww geez, 10.4 0-60 for the 2.0 auto. My I4 Camry SE can do better than that for thousands less. 10.4 would make me crazy.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:05 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
10.4 Seconds 0-60?????? Where are those who said that 2.0 ILX will feel like 2.4 TSX auto?? What a fail this car is!
Old 05-02-2012, 08:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
To be fair it wasn't exactly at sea level and the measuring wasn't accurate.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:35 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by 007Acura
To be fair it wasn't exactly at sea level and the measuring wasn't accurate.
Other sites are saying mid 9 seconds. Still not close to TSX Auto.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:37 AM
Racer

Awww geez, 10.4 0-60 for the 2.0 auto. My I4 Camry SE can do better than that for thousands less. 10.4 would make me crazy.
+1. As the Verano blows by you . Maybe it can beat the new Impreza.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:25 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by iamitman
Other sites are saying mid 9 seconds. Still not close to TSX Auto.
I think anything with an Acura badge should be able to do better than that. Otherwise you are just buying a nice Civic. It's smaller and has a lower rated MPG than midsize sedans, why so slow?
Old 05-04-2012, 07:55 AM
Safety Car

Post San Antonio

There's a new entry-level Acura sedan coming to market this month, designed to bring 1st-time premium-car buyers into Honda's luxury brand.

The all-new 2013 Acura ILX compact is based on the architecture of the newest generation of the Honda Civic, which made its debut last year. And like the Civic, it will be offered in a gasoline-electric hybrid version as well as gasoline-only models.

With a starting price of $25,900 (plus $895 freight), the front-wheel-drive ILX will be the lowest-priced sedan in the Acura lineup since the Vigor was discontinued in the late 1990s. It's also the least expensive Acura of any type since the compact RSX coupe went away in 2006 (it was the successor to the Integra).

The hybrid model begins at $28,900 and has essentially the same drive system as the 2012 Civic hybrid, which starts at $24,200 (plus $780 freight). But the Civic has better fuel economy ratings — 44 mpg city and highway, compared with 39 city/38 highway for the ILX hybrid.

At the time the RSX was discontinued, Acura officials said the intent was to move the brand upscale and to quit selling cars that appealed to young people looking for low-priced performance vehicles. The Integra and RSX, for example, were big with the tuner crowd that also has long embraced sporty versions of the Civic.

The TSX has been Acura's entry sedan model since 2004, but its 2012 starting price is just more than $30,000, about $5,000 below the TL sedan, the next step up in the brand's lineup.

Generation Y is the target audience for the ILX, said There's a new entry-level Acura sedan coming to market this month, designed to bring first-time premium-car buyers into Honda's luxury brand.

The all-new 2013 Acura ILX compact is based on the architecture of the newest generation of the Honda Civic, which made its debut last year. And like the Civic, it will be offered in a gasoline-electric hybrid version as well as gasoline-only models.

With a starting price of $25,900 (plus $895 freight), the front-wheel-drive ILX will be the lowest-priced sedan in the Acura lineup since the Vigor was discontinued in the late 1990s. It's also the least expensive Acura of any type since the compact RSX coupe went away in 2006 (it was the successor to the Integra).

The hybrid model begins at $28,900 and has essentially the same drive system as the 2012 Civic hybrid, which starts at $24,200 (plus $780 freight). But the Civic has better fuel economy ratings — 44 mpg city and highway, compared with 39 city/38 highway for the ILX hybrid.

At the time the RSX was discontinued, Acura officials said the intent was to move the brand upscale and to quit selling cars that appealed to young people looking for low-priced performance vehicles. The Integra and RSX, for example, were big with the tuner crowd that also has long embraced sporty versions of the Civic.

The TSX has been Acura's entry sedan model since 2004, but its 2012 starting price is just more than $30,000, about $5,000 below the TL sedan, the next step up in the brand's lineup.

Generation Y is the target audience for the ILX, said Lee DaSilva, Acura's senior product planner. Gen Y, also known as the “millennials,” are people born from the mid-'70s to 2000.

The ILX is a near-premium vehicle designed to be the “gateway to the Acura brand,” DaSilva said, bringing to market an Acura compact with “sporty, youthful value and achievable luxury.”

The idea is to get the Gen Y buyers into the Acura fold, then move them up to more expensive models as they grow in their personal and professional lives.

In the Acura lineup for the coming year, only the TSX and ILX will have 4-cylinder engines.

The base ILX comes with a 2.0-liter inline 4-cylinder engine rated at 150 horsepower and 140 foot-pounds of torque, and it has a sequential-sport-shift 5-speed automatic transmission. EPA ratings are 24 city/35 highway.

Also offered is the ILX 2.4 (base price $29,200), which comes with the same 2.4-liter 4-cylinder engine used in the TSX. It's rated at 201 horsepower and 170 foot-pounds of torque. This engine also is standard in the Honda Civic Si. With the accompanying 6-speed manual gearbox, it has mileage estimates of 22/31.

As with the Civic, the ILX with the 2.4-liter engine is not offered with an automatic transmission and clearly is intended for the young tuner crowd.

In the hybrid model, only a continuously variable transmission is available.

DaSilva said the “windswept” exterior design and the “well-appointed” interior make the ILX “smart, spacious and sporty.”

There is room for up to 5 people, although the rear seat is a bit tighter than that of the Civic and isn't comfortable for medium-size or larger adults. The ILX has 34 inches of rear legroom, compared with 36.2 inches for the Civic sedan.

But Gen Y buyers probably won't have many regular backseat riders, except possibly a small child or 2.

Among standard premium features are a keyless entry system with push-button start, dual-zone automatic climate control, power moon roof, 16-inch aluminum wheels, Pandora Internet radio interface, Bluetooth hands-free phone connection and text messaging capability (as though that's something we really ought to be doing while we're driving).

I tested both the base sedan and the hybrid model, but not the 2.4-liter manual version. The base ILX's 2.0-liter engine provided plenty of power for a variety of roads, ranging from hilly 2-lanes to 8-lane freeways.

Likewise, the hybrid had sufficient power, especially with the boost from the system's 23-horsepower electric motor. Enthusiasts who like the beefed-up Civics probably won't be happy with the hybrid's power, though.

Premium ($3,300) and Technology ($2,200) packages are available or already included on certain models. The hybrid is offered with a combination of the Premium and Technology packages ($5,500), but they cannot be separated.

The Premium package includes leather upholstery, heated front seats, a power driver's seat, a 360-watt stereo system with XM radio, high-intensity-discharge headlights, fog lights, 17-inch aluminum wheels, a rearview camera and a cabin active-sound-cancellation system for a quieter ride.

With the Technology Package comes Acura's ELS Surround audio system, which includes a navigation system with voice command, along with the AcuraLink Satellite Communication System, Real-Time Traffic with Traffic Rerouting, Real-Time Weather with radar maps and a universal garage/gate opener.

The navigation system has a 60-gigabyte hard drive, including 15 gigabytes for music storage.

Acura includes the Technology package in the $29,200 price of the ILX 2.4 model. The most expensive version of the ILX is the hybrid model with the 2 packages, which lists for $34,400.

Standard safety features include Honda's Advanced Compatibility Engineering body structure; front, side and side-curtain air bags; 4-channel antilock disc brakes; and electronic stability control. The body of the car is made of 62% high-strength steel.

Up front, there is a center console with 2 cupholders. The rear seat has a pull-down armrest that provides 2 built-in cupholders. Sporty gauges and bolstered front bucket seats are standard.

There is more trunk space in the gasoline-only models — up to 12.4 cubic feet. The hybrid, though, loses some cargo space to the lithium-ion battery pack. It has 10 cubic feet in the trunk without the Technology/Premium packages or 9.8 cubic feet with those extras.

A locking glove box is standard, as well as a USB port for connecting iPods, iPhones and other gadgets to the audio system. Bluetooth audio streaming is included, too, which allowed me to keep my iPhone in my pocket while driving along listening to my phone's music library through the car's stereo system.

Acura says the hybrid model can cruise for short distances between 10 and 45 mph using the electric motor alone, but both the gas engine and electric motor are always used at startup. During high-speed cruising, only the gasoline engine is used, but the electric motor kicks in during hard acceleration for chores such as passing.

The ILX is built at the Honda plant in Greensburg, Ind., and officially goes on sale May 22.
Rocket_man (05-05-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 08:00 PM
Safety Car

Post USA 2day

Acura, Honda's luxury brand, hopes to snag lots of newly minted luxury-car buyers with its small ILX sedan, betting that smaller, lower-price models are the key to a long and happy life selling premium vehicles.

By James Healey

ILX, a new model loosely based on Honda's Civic sedan, is a compact, front-drive four-door that starts at a tempting $26,795.

While it uses the basic Civic platform and wheelbase, the ILX's track is wider and its body, interior and drivetrain array differ. Oddly, Honda specifications show the ILX has nearly 6% less passenger space than the Civic, even though the Acura is bigger overall.

The ILX is aimed, Acura says, at younger luxury buyers raised in luxury-car households who are unwilling to buy mainstream brands, but who are in the 1st generation likely to have lower incomes than their parents.

And, Acura says, "They put a higher priority on looking good than on going fast."

On paper, then, ILX buyers would seem willing to pay more for a car because of its badge than its contents — the underhood portion of which they seemingly consider irrelevant.

What, 1 wonders, will they make of the ILX 2.4-liter model, a step up from the base 2-liter. The 2.4 is an exciting, desirable car and thus, perhaps, frightening to the supposed ILX cadre.

The 201-horsepower ILX 2.4 ($30,095 and up) is an honest Acura: mechanically satisfying, dynamically stimulating. The 2.4 comes only with a 6-speed manual transmission. Developers spent time and attention making the shifter feel robust, mechanical. Not as enticing as, say, a Subaru BR-Z or the B&M shifter on some Hyundai Elantra Touring wagons. But pretty good.

The 2.4-liter 4-cylinder engine starts with an edgy cough, a punk on the verge of misbehaving and faunching to bolt. Leave the rulemakers and manners police behind.

It makes the most of the chassis tuning that transformed the car from a Honda to an Acura.

And it loves to run hard.

The drivetrain is geared so you can downshift less often and not as far. For instance, in cases where a tight corner might suggest that you slap the gear lever down into 3rd, from 5th or 6th, fourth was OK in the ILX.

Seats are comfy. Rear-seat legroom is just OK, as expected in a compact car.

Interior trimmings are simple, avoiding the overwrought approach of some Asian-brand makers. But it's also somewhat uninteresting.

The 2-liter and the $29,795 gasoline electric hybrid — Acura's 1st hybrid — are tepid, somnambulence on wheels. They seem like pretenders, Acuras in badge only.

The 2-liter's 150 horsepower was generally adequate on a fast highway run from Virginia to New York, but needed to kick down its 5-speed automatic fairly often to keep up with traffic. A small bright spot: Steering-wheel-mounted shift paddles are positioned well and encourage manual operation of the 5-speed automatic, helping you extract the small amount of fun built in.

The hybrid was woefully underpowered, unable to use its 111 horsepower to confidently pull from a side road into fast-moving highway traffic, or to scoot past a dawdler.

It gets good mileage, better than the window sticker says, which is a pleasant surprise. But its 39-miles-per-gallon city, 38-highway ratings are matched nowadays by gasoline-power cars of the same size and lower price.

The underwhelming models share other of the 2.4-liter's good points — nice interior, comfy seats, generally premium sound and feel.

Here's a useful feature, not unique, but still rare: Assuming you have the proper cellphone, a voice-control system will read texts to you and let you reply with short pre-set answers, keeping hands on the wheel and eyes on the road. Your reply choices: Talk to you later, I'm driving; I'm on my way; I'm running late; OK; Yes; and No.

Here's a quirk among models: No navigation system is available in the 2.4, even though it's higher-priced and otherwise better-equipped than the 2-liter base car. Acura says it considers the 2.4 the "stick-shift model" because it comes only with a manual and that too few people usually buy navi with a manual to justify the time and expense of offering it. It expects only 5% of buyers to take this model.

To a person, Acura people say, "We'll keep an eye on it" to see if the navi should be offered.

But the reality is, if you want an automatic, you get the ho-hum 2-liter model. If you want fun, true Acura personality, you get the 2.4 and give up navi (besides, $200 aftermarket navis are quite good nowadays).

And if you want mpg's, you take the hybrid and settle for mileage inferior to the more complicated (and higher-price) hybrids from rivals.

Acura might be right that smaller, lower-price models are the path to longevity. But only the 2.4-liter ILX seems to offer the image of precision, fun and sophistication that's been Acura's appeal.

•What?
Front-drive, four-door compact sedan new to Acura with a modified Honda Civic chassis and slightly bigger body. 2 gasoline drivetrains or Acura's first hybrid.

•When? On sale May 22.

•How much? 2-liter starts at $26,795 with shipping; 2.4-liter, $30,095; hybrid, $29,795.

•Where? Made at Greensburg, Ind.

•Why? Automakers think small, lower-price luxury models will boom.

•What makes it go? Base: 2-liter, 4-cylinder rated 150 horsepower at 6,500 rpm, mated to 5-speed automatic. Optional: 2.4-liter 4-cylinder rated 201 hp at 7,000 rpm, mated to 6-speed manual. Hybrid with 1.5-liter, 4-cylinder gas engine and electric motor, rated a combined 111 hp, mated to CVT.

•How big? Roughly 2 inches longer, wider than Civic, ILX is 179.1 inches long, 70.6 in. wide, 55.6 in. tall on a 105.1-in wheelbase. Passenger space, 89.3 cu. ft. Trunk, 12.4 cu. ft.; 10 cu. ft. in hybrid. Weighs 2,910 to 2,987 lbs.

•How thirsty? 2-liter rated 24 miles per gallon in town, 35 highway, 28 combined. 2.4-liter: 22/31/25. Hybrid: 39/38/38.

Test cars: 2-liter showed 22 mpg (4.55 gallons per 100 miles) in suburbs, 34 mpg (2.94 gal./100 mi.) highway; 2.4-liter, 25 mpg (4 gal./100 mi.) on 2-lane back roads; hybrid, 39.2 mpg (2.55 gal./100 mi.) in mix of back roads, small towns. Premium recommended.

•Overall: The 2.4-liter is tons of fun; base 2-liter and the hybrid are unimpressive, at best.
Rocket_man (05-07-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 05:43 AM
Racer

I think anything with an Acura badge should be able to do better than that. Otherwise you are just buying a nice Civic. It's smaller and has a lower rated MPG than midsize sedans, why so slow?
Hopefully enough people that don't know care about the engine will buy it so it doesn't get discontinued before it gets the "real" engines. Waiting for the new Accord to see the powertrain performance.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Safety Car

Arrow InsideLine

Inside Line tests hundreds of vehicles a year. Cars, trucks, SUVs, we run them all, and the numbers always tell a story. With that in mind we present "IL Track Tested," a quick rundown of all the data we collect at the track, along with comments direct from the test drivers. Enjoy.

In our 1st Drive of the 2013 Acura ILX we wrote, "The 2013 Acura ILX is the smallest sedan in Acura's lineup since the Integra, but it's not a spiritual successor to that car." So it's not, but the ILX 2.4L model is a kissing cousin to the 2012 Honda Civic, complete with the Civic Si's 201-horsepower 2.4-liter inline-4 and slick 6-speed manual transmission.

Acura may be excited about the prospect of having a high-volume car that returns good fuel economy while still offering Acura levels of luxury, but we're excited to see what the new ILX does on our track when equipped with the hottest of its 3 engines.

Vehicle: 2013 Acura ILX 2.4L

Odometer:
Date: 5/8/2012
Driver: Chris Walton
Price: $30,095 (base price)

Specifications:
Drive Type: Front engine, front-wheel drive
Transmission Type: Six-speed manual
Engine Type: Naturally aspirated, port-injected inline-4
Displacement (cc/cu-in): 2,354/144
Redline (rpm): 7,000 (fuel cutoff at 7,200)
Horsepower (hp @ rpm): 201 @ 7,000
Torque (lb-ft @ rpm): 170 @ 4,400
Brake Type (front): 11.8-inch ventilated discs with single-piston sliding calipers
Brake Type (rear): 10.2-inch solid discs with single-piston sliding calipers
Suspension Type(front): Independent MacPherson struts, coil springs, twin-tube dampers, stabilizer bar
Suspension Type (rear): Independent multilink, coil springs, twin-tube dampers, stabilizer bar
Tire Size (front): P215/45R17 (87V)
Tire Size (rear): P21545R17 (87V)
Tire Brand: Michelin
Tire Model: Pilot HX MXM4
Tire Type: All-season
As tested Curb Weight (lb): 2,954

Test Results:

Acceleration
0-30 (sec): 2.7 (2.8 w/ TC on)
0-45 (sec): 4.6 (4.9 w/ TC on)
0-60 (sec): 7.1 (7.7 w/ TC on)
0-60 with 1-ft Rollout (sec): 6.8 (7.4 w/ TC on)
0-75 (sec): 10.5 (11.2 w/ TC on)
1/4-Mile (sec @ mph): 15.3 @ 91.6 (15.7 @ 88.5 w/ TC on)

Braking
30-0 (ft): 30
60-0 (ft): 130

Handling
Slalom (mph): 65.5 (63.1 w/TC off)
Skid Pad Lateral acceleration (g): 0.83 (0.82 w/TC on)

Db @ Idle: 42.5
Db @ Full Throttle: 77.5
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 65.6

Comments:

Acceleration: There's a sweet spot of wheelspin the ILX enjoys that is good for more than a half second in acceleration. Engine sounds sweet and there's no audible/visceral cam phase. Shifter is excellent, accurate, short and well-oiled. Clutch uptake is intuitive and smooth throughout pedal travel.

Braking: Very little initial bite and meaningful slowing begins from +/-40 mph to 0. Pedal is firm, but there's no power here. Linear fade in distance, yet pedal feel remained constant.

Handling:

Skid pad: With ESC off, the ILX goes into gentle yet stubborn understeer. Steering feedback changes very little with waning grip, and effort remains light-ish. With ESC on, it chopped throttle lightly below the car's true limit (prior to tire howl).

Slalom: I really like the steering: Friction free, just enough weight and good yaw reaction. Turns in predictably, tracks well, but the suspension is just a little reluctant in transitions and I end up "late" at the next cone(s) if I enter too hot. Best run is slow-in-fast-out with a small slide at exit and unweighted tire spinning free.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:08 AM
Safety Car

Post cars.com

With its new 2013 ILX sedan, Acura creates a new point of entry for the brand. The ILX is slightly smaller than the TSX sedan, which costs $30,905 (including a destination charge of $895). The ILX starts at $26,795; as of this writing, complete pricing information is available only here.

The ILX's 3 versions are the 2.0L, the performance-oriented 2.4L and Acura's 1st gas-electric model, the 1.5L Hybrid. I drove all 3.

The 2012 Acura ILX is sure to appeal to some efficiency-seeking entry-luxury shoppers, but the demand for any car in this expanding category remains to be seen.

Civic Roots

The ILX shares its foundation with the Honda Civic, making it the 1st model to do so since the sporty RSX coupe, which left the market in 2007. Automakers get cagey when you start talking about shared platforms, especially between brands of disparate cost and reputation, but Acura openly acknowledges the relationship and points out many mechanical differences between the 2.

For 1, the ILX is lower and about 1.5 inches wider than the Civic, and its torsional rigidity (the body's resistance to twisting) is greater, by 18% in front and 11% in rear. The ILX uses different shock absorbers, called amplitude reactive dampers, typically found in European luxury cars. The 2-piston systems are said to provide a soft ride without sacrificing sharper bump absorption or cornering performance.

The ILX also has a faster steering ratio and upgraded hardware, such as a larger-diameter steering shaft, for improved feel. There's more noise abatement as well: thicker window glass, more insulation and active noise cancellation in models with 17-inch wheels, among other measures.

How does this all translate to the driving experience?

ILX 2.0L

The expected best-selling version is the ILX 2.0L, where the number represents a 2.0-liter 4-cylinder, which teams only with a 5-speed automatic transmission. All versions of the ILX are front-wheel drive. In place of the Civic's 1.8-liter, this 150-horsepower engine didn't feel demonstrably quicker than the Civic to me, perhaps because of the increased weight — about 145 pounds more than the automatic-equipped Civic EX. But it's quick enough. The 5-speed automatic is well-behaved, providing smooth shifts and quicker kickdown when it's time to pass. Of the 3 ILX versions, the ILX 2.0L strikes a good balance of power and mileage, which is what Acura intended. It's EPA-rated 24/35 mpg city/highway and 28 mpg combined. Sadly, premium gas is recommended.

The ride quality is pretty good, exhibiting the road-surface awareness we expect from Acura — without undue punishment on 1 extreme or wallow on the other.

The ILX's handling is competent, with good front/rear balance for a front-drive car, but there's noticeable body roll, and the car simply doesn't beg you to drive it hard. Despite the special provisions versus the Civic, the steering feedback is lacking.

ILX 2.4L

The 2.4L is most like the Civic Si in that it has a 201-hp, 2.4-liter 4-cylinder engine and comes only with a 6-speed manual transmission. As expected, it's quick, though the torque peak of 170 pounds-feet doesn't give the car the urgency some drivers want off the line. The engine and exhaust sound pretty good, but it gets loud and intrusive as the revs climb to where you'll get the most out of it. The manual is satisfying enough, and the gear ratios are well-matched to the cause. The car is EPA-rated 22/31 mpg and 25 mpg combined.

Torque steer is under control, though it seems to come with a stiffening of the steering wheel, perhaps a countermeasure enacted through the electric power steering.

Where the ILX 2.4L is most like the Civic Si is in the most disappointing way: body roll. This trim level has the same suspension tuning as the other models, and it simply needs more control over body lean. Without the confidence and roadholding that comes with competent body control, the 2.4L's extra power is mostly wasted.

ILX 1.5 Hybrid

I also drove the ILX Hybrid, whose EPA-estimated mileage is 39/38 mpg — more than respectable, especially in city driving, but significantly lower than the Civic Hybrid, at 44/44 mpg.

Even though the drivetrain hardware is the same as the Civic Hybrid's and the ILX Hybrid has a rear spoiler and low-rolling-resistance tires, the Acura doesn't make as many aerodynamic concessions. It also weighs about 100 pounds heavier, and its hybrid system is tuned for greater responsiveness.

On the road, the hybrid doesn't exhibit too much of the delayed acceleration response we've come to tolerate in many hybrids — known as the rubber band or motorboat effect — at least not when accelerating from a stop. There's more of it if you nail the gas once already in motion, but 3 drive modes let you trade mileage for responsiveness: The Econ button makes the car reticent to rev the engine, the Sport mode keeps the revs higher all the time, and the normal Drive mode, as you'd expect, is right in between. Not a bad arrangement. If those don't work for you, you can use the steering-wheel paddles to select among 7 fixed ratios for the continuously variable automatic transmission.

The ILX Hybrid isn't quick, and the brakes have a dreadfully mushy pedal, but if you go into it with proper hybrid expectations — quirky acceleration and braking, not much liveliness or fun — it should satisfy you.

As usual, there's a cargo tradeoff with the hybrid, in this case a decrease of more than 2 cubic feet of trunk volume, and the backseat won't fold or split, a feature that's standard in the other versions.

In the Cabin

The ILX is definitely quieter than a Civic, though not exceptionally quiet, and not as serene as the Buick Verano. Rather than a pitter-patter when traversing pavement cracks and tar patches, the tires emit more of a distant low-frequency drumbeat. Some of our editors complained of more-sustained tire noise on the highway.

Cloth seats with manual adjustments are standard on the 2.0L and Hybrid. Leather seats with 8-way power and heaters in front come in the optional Premium and Technology packages. My test of the ILX 2.0L included an interstate trip, and I found the seat comfortable even after 5 hours of highway driving. 1 of our editors thought it wasn't padded and supportive in the right places. The backseat is admirably roomy for a compact car, and the floor back there is virtually flat, which goes a long way in making the center seat truly usable.

It goes without saying that the ILX's interior quality is better than the Civic's widely criticized cabin (which Honda has acknowledged). All of the test cars I drove had at least the Premium option package and thus perforated leather-and-vinyl seats, which are well-executed. The dashboard has low-gloss soft surfaces, and the center control panel has an interesting finish. Less impressive is the silver-gray trim elsewhere and the black plastic at the front of the armrests and around the door handles.

A little more consistency would help, as would some color, especially when the ILX is up against the Verano. Except for the optional ivory-colored seats and select surfaces in our 2.0L test car, this Acura is characteristically black and gray.

Safety

As an all-new model, the Acura ILX hadn't been crash-tested as of this report.

As required of all new vehicles, the ILX comes standard with front airbags, antilock brakes and an electronic stability system with traction control. Also included are front-seat-mounted side-impact airbags and side curtains for the front and rear seats.

A backup camera that comes in the optional Premium Package displays the image on a 5-inch color screen, mid-dash. The Technology Package adds a larger screen, along with the navigation system.

ILX in the Market

When Acura introduced its 2013 ILX sedan at the 2012 Chicago Auto Show, we had three questions: Why would the company add another small sedan, just under the TSX in size and price? Can it improve enough on the car's humble Honda roots? Perhaps most important, does demand truly exist for a luxury car of this size and price?

As for the why, it's probably because the company perceives demand for a more affordable sedan in its lineup, and because the car's high gas mileage will both appeal to cost-conscious buyers and help meet federal fuel-economy requirements. (The TSX tops out at 26 mpg combined.)

Did Acura produce a better Civic? Of course. But with the Verano, Buick fielded a better Chevrolet Cruze, at a starting price $3,325 lower than the ILX. Though the Verano's mileage maxes out at 25 mpg combined, we were mightily impressed with its luxury feel and appointments.

As for the greater question, demand for cars of this type in general is yet to be determined.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:27 PM
9th Gear

Seats and Legroom

I visited the Acura dealer, and examined the new ILX. I am 6"4" and I had good legroom in the drivers seat, and a good driving position. I sat in the passenger seat and had much less legroom, not being able to stretch out my legs. With the low bottom of the dash, I had to sit with my feet at an odd angle.

The seats provided good side support but with a bolster at the top of the seat if forced me in a position to lean forward, not a good position for your back or extended driving. None of the other Acuras are that way including the 1st generation TSX. The drivers seat does not have an adjustable lumbar support.

I plan to go back and drive it but, just the initial opinion, I am not impressed.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:33 PM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by bs83703
I visited the Acura dealer, and examined the new ILX. I am 6"4" and I had good legroom in the drivers seat, and a good driving position. I sat in the passenger seat and had much less legroom, not being able to stretch out my legs. With the low bottom of the dash, I had to sit with my feet at an odd angle.

The seats provided good side support but with a bolster at the top of the seat if forced me in a position to lean forward, not a good position for your back or extended driving. None of the other Acuras are that way including the 1st generation TSX. The drivers seat does not have an adjustable lumbar support.

I plan to go back and drive it but, just the initial opinion, I am not impressed.
At 6' 4" this car may not be for you. How does the ILX seating compare to the TSX seating?
Old 05-24-2012, 10:04 AM
Safety Car

Post ConsumerGuide

ACCELERATION
2.0 w/Technology Pkg 2.4 w/Technology Pkg Hybrid w/Technology Pkg Class Average
4 7 2 5.9

With its 2.0-liter engine and automatic transmission, full-throttle acceleration in the base model is a bit leisurely off the line, but feels somewhat stronger above 20 mph. Acura estimates the 0-60-mph time at 9.6 seconds, which seems about right. The transmission kicks down quickly for more passing power, and that helps the base model feel perfectly adequate in normal around-town driving. By contrast, the 2.4/manual combination is far stronger; Acura says 0-60 mph on this version takes 6.9 seconds, which also correlates to our seat-of-the-pants estimate. Both the clutch and shifter work smoothly. Like the 2.0, the Hybrid is fine in normal driving, but a bit lethargic off the line in full-throttle take-offs. Nevertheless, it feels a bit stronger than Acura's 11.2-second 0-60 time would imply, partly because once underway, there's quick response to throttle inputs. The engine often shuts off at stops as a fuel-saving measure, and there's sometimes a bit of a delay in restarting it if you shift your right foot quickly from the brake to the gas.

FUEL ECONOMY
7 6 9 5.7

No opportunity to measure, but EPA estimates are impressive for the class. The downside is that Acura recommends premium-grade fuel for all engines.

RIDE QUALITY

6 6 6 6.2

The suspension is the same for all ILX versions, though tires differ a bit. The ride is firm but impressively absorbent over smaller pavement imperfections, though our Phoenix-area test route was devoid of the potholes and expansion joints found near our Chicago offices.

STEERING/HANDLING/BRAKING
7 7 7 7.3

Acura says the ILX has quicker steering than the Civic on which it's based, and it combines with the taut suspension and relatively low weight to provide a sporty driving feel.

QUIETNESS
7 7 6 7.1

Both wind and road noise are low at highway speeds, and noise over bumps is well suppressed. Engines sound nice enough when worked, though the CVT in the Hybrid keeps the engine at high rpm during even moderate acceleration, making it seem a bit loud for a premium-level car.

CONTROLS
7 7 7 6.5

All controls are within easy reach. All cars tested had the Technology Package, which includes a navigation system; it doesn't absorb basic audio controls as do some systems, a point in the ILX's favor. Some climate controls are a bit tedious to adjust, but automatic climate control is standard, so most drivers won't have to fiddle with it very often.

DETAILS
8 8 8 7.5

Many padded surfaces along with a rich-looking mix of materials available in 2-tone color combinations create a premium-level interior appearance.

ROOM/COMFORT/DRIVER SEATING (FRONT)
6 6 6 6.5

Most adults should find legroom sufficient, but taller ones may be short of headroom. Seats are comfortable and supportive. Visibility could be better, as it's blocked a bit by rather thick front, side, and rear roof pillars. Sun visors don't extend back far enough to completely cover the side windows.

ROOM/COMFORT (REAR)
4 4 4 3.5

Folks over 5'10" may find headroom to be tight. Legroom is adequate unless the seat in front is pushed far back, but toe space is good. Egress is hindered by a narrow door opening.

CARGO ROOM
3 3 2 2.9

The trunk is wide at the back, but sickle-type lid hinges dip into the load area. Except on the Hybrid, which has a smaller trunk capacity and no fold-down rear seat backs (due to its battery pack), the seat backs release from the trunk area. The opening revealed is narrow at the bottom, and while the seat backs fold nearly flat, they rest about 3 inches above the level of the cargo floor, and there's no ramp that allows easier loading of bulky cargo. Interior storage consists of a good-size glovebox, modest console box with 12-volt power and audio plugs, 2 open cupholders, a forward console bin, and small map pockets with cupholders.

VALUE WITHIN CLASS
6 6 5 7.1

ILX bridges a gap of sorts between regular compact cars and the current crop of premium compacts. Except in the 2.4 model (which few will likely buy due to its mandatory manual transmission), acceleration leans toward the leisurely side--particularly in the Hybrid--but chassis composure, noise suppression, and interior materials are at luxury levels. Those who put more weight on a premium nameplate, electronic gadgets, and high-end appointments than they do on performance or absolute value for the money may find the ILX a worthy addition to their shopping list.

Total Score
65 67 62 66.2

Total Score: 65
Old 05-24-2012, 06:06 PM
9th Gear

I previously owned 2004, and currently a 2009 TSX. Both cars had an adjustable lumbar. The ILX does not. Both of the TSX's had lots of legroom and foot room on the passenger side. The seats on the 04 and 09 do not have the bolster at the top of the seat forcing you to lean forward. I had adequate headroom
Old 05-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
"A bit lethargic off the line"? I would not call an 11.6 0-60 time "a bit lethargic". More like "quite a lot lethargic". But again, much of the target population won't care about that.

Quick Reply: 1st Generation Acura ILX Reviews