FAQ: 06-07 AV6 Transmission 'Swap'

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 09:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
^^^ Absolutely spot on !!!
Don't waste your money on rebuilding the old poorly designed tranny.
Buy the best low mileage "AV6" donor tranny for less than $1000 and have it bolted in for about $500 labor installation. Just makes better sense !!!
Old 07-21-2014, 09:45 AM
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Yup like this thread says time and time again the AV6 is the proven method. In fact I've made like a million replies on here with all the stuff you'll need, part numbers and everything. Dooooooo it!
Old 07-21-2014, 08:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Will this work for a swap? Go to a 2003 Acura TL??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/06-07-HONDA-ACCORD-AUTOMATIC-TRANSMISSION-430433-/400380310487?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2006%7CMake%3AHonda&hash=item5d3886b3d7&vxp=mtr
Old 07-21-2014, 08:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by outlawspeeder

06 07 Honda Accord Automatic Transmission 430433 | eBay

Sorry its a 2.4L
Old 07-22-2014, 05:30 AM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by outlawspeeder

06 07 Honda Accord Automatic Transmission 430433 | eBay
try looking here http://www.car-part.com/

this is where I found mine. Many places will ship if they are not nearby. I bought mine from an LKQ 60 miles away......it was actually free to transfer to the LKQ in my town.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:31 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by onemilehigh
try looking here http://www.car-part.com/

this is where I found mine. Many places will ship if they are not nearby. I bought mine from an LKQ 60 miles away......it was actually free to transfer to the LKQ in my town.
Outlawspeeder, I'd say the same as him. Go read through the whole thread and you'll find where to find transmissions at, advice on mileage, and even the part numbers for the filters you'll need to get. I know this because I have written it in responses throughout this thread. Check out what's already out there and you'll be fine when it comes time to do the swap.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:21 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Just Finished a Swap

Just finished swapping in a Trans from an AV6 into my TL. I kept the Accord Trans Filter. Car drives nicely now.

298k kms (185k miles) on the original trans with an oil jet, got the dreaded P0730 and P0740 about a week before it crapped out.

Just wanna say thanks for all the info.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Question "AV6" ..... mechanic's installation notes ?

Originally Posted by Brandle34
I read that I should take it easy for the first week or so and then after drive normal for a week, then you can redline her after that. Anyone have input on that?

I'm going to get the mechanics notes on the job because he said there was some mods they had to do for the parts swapping, but it all went on and bolted up well! I'll post back what kind of "mods" were necessary.

Now I just can't wait to get out of work and drive my "new" car!!!

So, Brandle34..... have ya redlined the new gal yet ?

Any followup is always beneficial to others looking to replace their old problematic TL tranny's with the AV6. How about the mechanic's notes ???
Old 08-17-2014, 07:40 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandle34
I read that I should take it easy for the first week or so and then after drive normal for a week, then you can redline her after that. Anyone have input on that?
The used AV6 trans u put in is already been broken in, drive it like u stole it.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:36 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^ Yeah, but if the used donor AV6 was sitting around, it may be dry within and need to acclimate to the new DW1 fluid for a few days, IMO.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:51 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am actually considering the possibility that I do the swap myself into my tranny issue equation. I looked around places/individuals but no success. Shops wont do a swap but some ppl suggested dont tell at all it is a swap. That is possiblity but could it be risky?

For now I am just weighing the possibility and considering pros and cons of doing myself but not quite decided yet:
pros+
- Have a experiencing replacing clutch when I owned honda civic crx. But compared to it, it is much simpler design, manual tranny. That was long time ago. My financial situation is much better than I was in college during time I was working on my honda, so money is not a big issue.
- Thinking to rent a car storage and do it there since I live in condo. I have additional motorcycle so I can carry some tools/parts from stores while I am fixing

Now cons-
- it is a back breaking work, dealing with stuck bolts, or some unforeseen obstacles, felt the frustration before.
- Dont know how much complication will be during swap since I am first timer on this model
- I wont be able to do a grocery for some time

And some add'l question,
- I will definitely use this thread as a guide but most likely I will need either Helms or Haynes manual to do actual swap to through the steps. I do remember I used either oh these manual when I worked on my civic in the past, but dont remember which one. I do also remember one of them was suggested to be much more better, accurate and higher in quality than other by other members in the respective user forum, I dont remember which one.

- Prior to work, probably need to setup, rent storage place and major heavy tools required, most comes into mind is to rent engine lifter ready. What else???
Old 08-29-2014, 09:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Ya gotta consider all of the downsides first....the tranny is heavy and there is some special skills and tools required. Download a copy of the Factory Service Manual and try to visualize the tranny removal procedure. If ya feel comfortable with the job, price out the costs of making the job happen......renting space and equipment, etc. Once ya add up the price of a donor "AV6", it's your call on the value of your time and labor involved.

If ya can find a good "AV6" for less than $1000, is it worth your bother and effort to save $500 on installation ? I'd check around some more for a shop to work with ya.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:49 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
Ya gotta consider all of the downsides first....the tranny is heavy and there is some special skills and tools required. Download a copy of the Factory Service Manual and try to visualize the tranny removal procedure. If ya feel comfortable with the job, price out the costs of making the job happen......renting space and equipment, etc. Once ya add up the price of a donor "AV6", it's your call on the value of your time and labor involved.

If ya can find a good "AV6" for less than $1000, is it worth your bother and effort to save $500 on installation ? I'd check around some more for a shop to work with ya.
I am tired of asking around only to be rejected. I'd rather just spend 500$ than doing myself i got busy schedule but if i cant find a place, dyi is possibility. Found service manual already from another thread and scoping it.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:53 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by guyenacurazine
I am tired of asking around only to be rejected. I'd rather just spend 500$ than doing myself i got busy schedule but if i cant find a place, dyi is possibility. Found service manual already from another thread and scoping it.

I just did mine a month or so ago, so if you have any questions
post them here and I'll try to help you out.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:15 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by bensonchuong
I just did mine a month or so ago, so if you have any questions
post them here and I'll try to help you out.
hey Benson, ok thanks, if it is fresh in your memory:
can you list tools and parts (to replace) you had to buy prior to installation???
i will probably need to figure out by looking at manuals but if you can list, that save some mental processing energy.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:39 AM
Advanced

hey Benson, ok thanks, if it is fresh in your memory:
can you list tools and parts (to replace) you had to buy prior to installation???
i will probably need to figure out by looking at manuals but if you can list, that save some mental processing energy.
I didn't use any special tools.
Just a standard set of metric wrenches and sockets, an impact gun is useful for those large frame and suspension bolts.
I used two jacks to support the engine and the transmission. Put the car on 4 jack stands to keep it level.
The only part I replaced was the trans filter, I kept the housing from the AV6. You may also want to replace the mounts if they are worn and the drain and fill bolt washers if you want to replace them, I just reuse them.
The following users liked this post:
guyenacurazine (08-30-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 10:14 PM
10th Gear

I just swapped my 03 tls with a transmission off of a 06 Odyssey. I swapped all the sensors off of the original 5 spd onto the Odyssey 5 spd. Whats nice about the Odyssey trans is that 1.) instead of a spin on external filter its a insert 2.) it doesnt have that whacky atf warmer on top of the transmission which IMO is what contributes to these transmission running hot. 3.) The trans comes with lines on the front of the trans where you can hook up an oversized external cooler.

Only issue so far with the swap is the shifter cable need adjustment and its golden. The shifts feel a lot more solid.

Just my 2 cents on the topic, even though it was probably already covered.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks for the '06 Oddy donor info !!!
Always good to hear about alternatives to our original problematic TL trannys.

Once ya get everything back together and running, try to give us some details of the installation and any problems encountered. Thanks for any useful comments or help !!!
Old 09-02-2014, 10:45 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys I am doing this swap on my 02 TL-S, I bought a 07 v6 Accord trans but the trans didn't come with the starter. Can I use the old one from from my TL trans or need to buy one for an 07 Accord>?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-02-2014, 12:19 PM
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Va Rx-7
Guys I am doing this swap on my 02 TL-S, I bought a 07 v6 Accord trans but the trans didn't come with the starter. Can I use the old one from from my TL trans or need to buy one for an 07 Accord>?
You re-use your TL starter.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Welcome Va Rx-7 !!!
Yeah, as MBP O3 previously stated.....no problem, just reuse the TL's starter.
May want to update the sensors and solenoids depending on mileage.

Good luck with installing the "AV6" donor, take pics & notes as ya go along with the "DIY"s.
Let us know how things proceed during the process. Thanks !
Old 09-02-2014, 08:04 PM
Racer

VA RX-07, i havent made up mind yet but could be working on it pretty soon. Should we be in touch in case? Where you located?
Old 09-03-2014, 08:29 AM
3rd Gear

VA RX-07, i havent made up mind yet but could be working on it pretty soon. Should we be in touch in case? Where you located?

I am located in Northern Va
Old 09-07-2014, 10:02 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
Thanks for the '06 Oddy donor info !!!
Always good to hear about alternatives to our original problematic TL trannys.

Once ya get everything back together and running, try to give us some details of the installation and any problems encountered. Thanks for any useful comments or help !!!
Alright here's the run down.

The ody trans is holding up really darn well so far. The only mods that were necessary to the trans was one little harness on the very front of the trans. (Same I believe just like the av6 trans) Everything else including the range sensor had the same plug. I kept all the solenoids that came with the trans on there due to the fact that I didn't want to put new gaskets under them if I took them off and on top of that they were in good condition. Now performance wise our infamous fourth gear.....you can throw that out the window lol I get quite a lot of torque steer between one and two. And some surprisingly between two and three (mind me I'm coming from 4 cylinder 6th gen accord). Was it worth the money? Definitely yes. Why? Because it's cheaper then the av6 trans and the outcome is mind blowing in my opinion.

I'm 150 miles in on super tech trans oil. Will do a drain and refill in about 350 miles with genuine honda fluid and a new filter.
3.2TLc (09-08-2014)
Old 09-14-2014, 12:10 AM
2003 CL

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Definitely a great write up with clear instructions. I'm going to make a copy & keep it in my trunk for future trans swap.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:56 AM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
I'm curious about the Oddysey trans ratios since the AV6 are pretty much our own Stock TLS ratios..
Does the Oddysey has custom ratios for its weight? Or it's basically a TL-p trans?
Old 10-15-2014, 12:50 PM
10th Gear

need some help

Hello everyone, got a few questions about doing this swap.

First, I have a 03 CL-s from what I can figure the 03 CL and TL are pretty much the same car Just one with 4 doors and the other with 2. So would this swap work with a CL? It's the same engine series but I dont recall anyone inquiring into a CL and my luck would be it's got one major differnce and will not work at all.

Second, Do i Just need the fluid cooler gasket and screw on filter for the swap(AT fluid i'm sure)? I'm assuming a gasket will be needed for the mounting area to the engine but never saw it mentioned.

Third, Do I have to pull the entire engine out with trans? I assumed you did and then read it can be done with out pulling the engine.

Fourth and Final, Anyone who has done this swap recall any major problem area's during their swap that I should be aware of any pain in the ass points that a heads up would have made easier?

Thanks in advance for any insight and info about this swap.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:39 PM
Suzuka Master

"AV6" bolt in replacement for CL-S

Originally Posted by Blindnsight
I have a 03 CL-s from what I can figure the 03 CL and TL are pretty much the same car Just one with 4 doors and the other with 2. So would this swap work with a CL? It's the same engine series.

Do I have to pull the entire engine out with trans? I assumed you did and then read it can be done with out pulling the engine. Anyone who has done this swap recall any major problem area's during their swap that I should be aware of ?

Welcome Blindsight !!!
The AV6 will bolt right up to your CL the same as a TL. No need to pull the motor at the time of tranny replacement. For the most part it's a easy replacement that lasts.

I'd suggest doing some more research on the many threads concerning the "AV6". There's even a step by step "DIY" detailing the basic things that require any extra attention. It's straight forward info, IMO. Ya may wanna get some experienced help or download a copy of the Factory Service Manual for better assistance.

PS: Check out the CL-S ...... 6 speed swap as it may interest ya at this time.
Blindnsight (10-16-2014)
Old 10-16-2014, 08:16 AM
10th Gear

Thanks for the reply, I did some more searching and found some more info. I've acquired a helms manual and the swap seems fairly do-able for me. Although, my single car garage might disagree with me. I did look into just dropping a 6speed in but it's a little more then I would like to deal with.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:03 PM
8th Gear

New guy here. '03 TL tranny is going quickly. Have been reading the excellent posts regarding the '06-'07 Accord AV6 transplant.

I have a simple (yet dumb) question regarding the removal of the transmission. Can you pull the tranny up with a cherry picker or does it have to exit the vehicle down? I tend to work alone, so removing the tranny from below could be interesting.

The salvage AV6s around my area (Portland, OR) are pretty spendy. There a couple locally for $1,200+. Car Parts has a couple under $900 through LKQ. I haven't contacted the local LKQ (Foster Auto Parts) to see if they could ship directly to Portland. Will do that later today.

How about some of the overhauled units? They are running about $1,200 to $1,300 from some shops in the Seattle area.

Again, outstanding info contained in these posts.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:44 PM
Instructor

Hey! Welcome to the forum! I didn't do my own swap, but I've heard the easiest way to do it is from below. You do have to take out the subframe out so you'll have to do that or style with removing everything from the top. Either way is pretty tedious. Those process are pretty typical to be honest. Mine was 850 with 90K on it so not too bad. LKQ does give you a 6 month 6000 mile warranty so keep that in mind. It's pretty great for how cheap they sell the trannies.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:39 AM
8th Gear

Thanks for the rapid response 03BlackBeast.

RE: DIY or farm it out.. I guess I suffer from OCD, for a couple of reasons. I worked in an aircraft maintenance shop and have seen even these guys forget to install parts or rush to get it out the door resulting in shoddy work worth lots of $$.

Last time I had my '03 in the shop for head lamp work (now there's an unexpected high dollar item) they busted a couple of the plastic fairings and didn't bother with most of the plastic snap buttons that hold the fairings together. Dang car sounded like a flatulence machine going down the highway.

Busy weekend, so didn't get to call the local LKQ salvage yard. Looks like prices are fairly comparable.

Don't really look forward to this project, but I think I found a couple good videos out there on YouTube that shed some light on the process.

I've had the car since it was new. It's still a great vehicle. Was planning to drive it for a number of more years. We'll see.

I'm sure I'll be back with other questions.

Thanks again.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Read up on the other related posts. If ya have the mechanical skill,time,tools and equipment.....
go for the "DIY" as it's basically a direct bolt-in replacement. The info and guys are here to help.

But should ya wanna farm it out, expect to pay at least $500 for installation labor.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:17 AM
9th Gear

Ive read your instructions and I'm having some problems I could use your help with. I got an AV6 and it came with no solenoids or sensors. Will the transmission perform properly if I use the ones from my old TL transmission? Also, did you experience any torque converter fitment problems? Mine rubbed against the transmission behind the torque converter. You got yours to mount up properly without any torque converter rubbing issues? Please help.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Welcome Doc Williams !!!
So ya bought an "AV6" without all the good stuff ? Must've been a good deal, huh ?
Well, ya can try your old tired TL parts if ya want, but newer parts would be preferred.

If ya can remove the old parts and then clean them up along with testing, ya may be able to get by.......
if ya feel lucky. Price out some new parts to see what they may cost. Why add another unknown risk into
the job if ya can avoid it. Just wonder why all the stuff was pulled from the tranny in the first place ?
Doc Williams (10-27-2014)
Old 10-27-2014, 01:08 AM
9th Gear

My biggest concern is the lack of space between the flywheel and the AV6 torque converter. According to all I've know and have seen on YouTube, there is supposed to be space between the flywheel and the torque converter when the housings are bolted together. There isn't any on mine and I'm positive the torque converter is all the way back in the housing. Did you notice this as well? I also checked w a local transmission parts shop and they verified that I have the right torque converter for this transmission and that the TL hub is shorter than he Accords. This would possibly provide the space everyone says is needed. What are your thoughts about all this?
Old 10-27-2014, 07:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Wink Stripped AV6

Originally Posted by Doc Williams
I got an AV6 and it came with no solenoids or sensors. Will the transmission perform properly if I use the ones from my old TL transmission? Also, did you experience any torque converter fitment problems? Mine rubbed against the transmission behind the torque converter.

Do ya know for sure that the tranny which ya bought is from a '06>'07 Honda Accord V-6.
Is the "ID" tag still on it ? Perhaps the yard gave ya a different tranny ? Ya never know.... !

There has been no apparent problems reported, such as you are presently experiencing with the TC.

Last edited by 3.2TLc; 10-27-2014 at 07:10 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:24 PM
9th Gear

Here's what I found out yesterday. I found out that there were two different torque converters put in the 2000 year model TL. If you have the version I have the AV6 torque converter will not work for you. You will have to buy a new torque converter like your original in order to use this transmission. From what I understand, it's the revised/updated oil passageways that have been updated that are supposed to make the AV6 so much more reliable than the original. I tried using the AV6 and actually ruined a transmission because the AV6 torque converter was rubbing against the back of its case. Almost ruined this one too before I figured out what was going on. Ended up finding a brand new torque converter for $129.90 with no core charge. I put the torque converter into the trans today and I can already see there is more room. If it's enough, I don't know yet; I hope to find out tomorrow or the day after depending on whether or not I get the time to work on it; I promise to report back my findings as soon as I'm finished. More than likely it will be tomorrow. And yes, I'm sure I have the right transmission. I have the BAYA.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:05 AM
Suzuka Master

2000 model year TL~ "AV6" issue with torque converter

Originally Posted by Doc Williams
" I found out that there were two different torque converters put in the 2000 year model TL. If you have the version I have the AV6 torque converter will not work for you. You will have to buy a new torque converter like your original in order to use this transmission. "

I tried using the AV6 and actually ruined a transmission because the AV6 torque converter was rubbing against the back of its case. Almost ruined this one too before I figured out what was going on. Ended up finding a brand new torque converter for $129.90 with no core charge. I put the torque converter into the trans today and I can already see there is more room.

I promise to report back my findings as soon as I'm finished. More than likely it will be tomorrow. And yes, I'm sure I have the right transmission. I have the BAYA.
Thanks for posting this valuable info to assist others who may encounter a similar issue with installing the "AV6" donor tranny. By chance, do you know the TC's model #..... and if it's cross-referenced the same # as any other year of 2nd Gen TL's ?

More than likely the reason different torque converters were used in the 2000 model TL's, was because of being the first year that Acura introduced the 5 speed AT vs the '99 TL model's older carryover 4 speed tranny.

Anyways, has anybody else experienced TC problems with the AV6 swap ?
Apparently, it may only affect the 2000 model year TL's.

Last edited by 3.2TLc; 10-29-2014 at 07:09 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:15 AM
8th Gear

Questions about removing and re-installing tranny

I'm still in the planning phase and have a couple of questions regarding the swap.

I was thinking about buying a Harbor Freight low profile transmission jack to R&R the transmission. Once you break free the tranny from the engine, how do you remove it from the engine compartment? Through the wheelwell? Would the HF tranny jack be low enough to roll it out from underneath the vehicle?

I've never worked on an AT before and have read comments about making sure there is fluid in the torque converter before you re-install. Is it straight forward putting fluid in the torque converter and then installing the tranny? How much fluid? Once it's in, does it leak or spill while you're maneuvering the tranny into position? I've never done something like this, so I was wondering if someone might shed some light on this subject.

Many thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: FAQ: 06-07 AV6 Transmission 'Swap'