Why you should get 255/40-17 tires for your OEM rims !!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 02:16 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A caveat to changing the overall diameter of the wheel/tire combination:

I just talked with my Acura dealer regarding changing the overall diameter of the wheel/tire combination. Obviously it can affect all the instruments albeit not very much...speedometer, odometer, mpg calculation, etc. He told me it could also effect of the other computeried systems of the car like anti-lock braking and the traction control system which both are utilized depending on the information that the computer sends to these systems...info like speed, etc. But he said it was unlikely that it would make that much of a difference. He also said that it would not void the warranty.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:42 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Inaccurate
I am finding a possible bug with the 255's.

As CAHobbs worded so well in another thread :
<<<BTW, the 8.0 rim won't cause any problems unless you run tires larger that 245s then the narrower rims may cause the tires faces to bow out ... causing a similar wear condition as over inflated tires.>>>

I am finding this to be the case on the rear tires. I can see from dirt on the tires that the full width of the tire is not contacting the road. The contact patch seems to stop one-inch short along each side of the tire. If you look closely in some of the photos of the rear tires, you can see that the dirt does not run all the way across the rear tire.

I tried lowering the rear pressure to 30 psi, but this did not help. Even with 30 psi in the rear tires, the thread was not lying flat across the whole width. So, I now run 35 psi in all four corners.

Because the front of the car is much heavier than the rear, the front tires do make road contact across the full width. I run 35 psi cold in the fronts, and the front tires lay flat across the full width.

So, time will tell the tale. If the tires wear badly, I will probably replace these 255/40-17's with 245/40-17's. Then, with more shorter profile of the 245/40's, I can get more of the "features" that I have come to love from the 255/40's (such as lower effective gearing, better braking leverage, and more snappy steering response).
I have been following this thread for a week or two and had a hunch that would be the case....

Too much tire or not enough rim. That tire needs a minimum rim width of 8.5" with a "preferred" width of 9" to provide the desired flat contact patch these tires were intended for. Preferred meaning that is the best choice of rim width when used in conjunction with that particular tire. Goodyear spec's call for 8.5-10 inches but anything over 9.5 is probably pushing it a little in the other direction but with these low profile designs, a little wider is probably better than a rim thats too narrow.

To better understand it would have been helpful to see how that tire sat unmounted....you would have seen about 9" between the sidewalls which is why it is best installed on a 9" rim width....that leaves the tire in the shape that the manufacturer had intended. At 8" the sides are slightly squeezed in and the crown of the tire slightly bulged out as you have observed.

You might consider stepping up to a wider aftermarket rim before you wear those tires in their current configuration....at this stage in the game it would still be early enough to have 98% of their wear life assuming they were mounted on the proper sized rim to begin width. If you decide to do this in a few months and change the wear and contact patch of the tire, I bet you will have seriously reduced the life of these tires, and I know they weren't cheap. Obviously, if you dont change rims you will also prematurely wear them out because the centers are going to wear at a far greater rate than the ends.

Good luck either way but if I were you I would bite the bullet and start shopping for some rims...

Tony M.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:26 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony'sTL
I have been following this thread for a week or two and had a hunch that would be the case....

Too much tire or not enough rim. That tire needs a minimum rim width of 8.5" with a "preferred" width of 9" to provide the desired flat contact patch these tires were intended for. Preferred meaning that is the best choice of rim width when used in conjunction with that particular tire. Goodyear spec's call for 8.5-10 inches but anything over 9.5 is probably pushing it a little in the other direction but with these low profile designs, a little wider is probably better than a rim thats too narrow.

To better understand it would have been helpful to see how that tire sat unmounted....you would have seen about 9" between the sidewalls which is why it is best installed on a 9" rim width....that leaves the tire in the shape that the manufacturer had intended. At 8" the sides are slightly squeezed in and the crown of the tire slightly bulged out as you have observed.

You might consider stepping up to a wider aftermarket rim before you wear those tires in their current configuration....at this stage in the game it would still be early enough to have 98% of their wear life assuming they were mounted on the proper sized rim to begin width. If you decide to do this in a few months and change the wear and contact patch of the tire, I bet you will have seriously reduced the life of these tires, and I know they weren't cheap. Obviously, if you dont change rims you will also prematurely wear them out because the centers are going to wear at a far greater rate than the ends.

Good luck either way but if I were you I would bite the bullet and start shopping for some rims...

Tony M.
I was looking at this size also but when I called Discount Tires and the Tire Rack they did would not sell the 255/40's to me because the stock rims are not wide enough. He said tire wear would be excessive and beads will not seat properly and something about the tire bulging outwards creating stress on the sidewalls. So I ended up detting the 245/45's instead.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:01 AM
Racer

After reading this thread I have decided to stick with the OEM tire size of 235/45-17. It' pretty obvious that 255 is way too wide for the 17 inch rim. To the person that started this thread, I am shocked that you even found a reputable place that would put that size tire on that rim. Others have expressed a concern about excess tire wear but I have a greater concern. I wonder if it's even safe since there would be excess pressure on the sidewall from squeezing that tire onto the OEM rim. I would advise anyone looking to put a 255 tire on these OEM rims to consult with a tire professional first.

If I want a wider, lower profile tire....I will wait until I move up to 18 inch aftermarket rims....which would also keep the overall diameter pretty close to OEM which would keep the change from affecting other functions like speedometer, odometer, ABS, TCS, etc.

I've read some great reviews about Toyo Proxes 4, so I have decided to go with the tire over the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S (which I had on my pervious car and liked very much). And of course....the OEM tire size !!!
Old 05-05-2006, 10:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
For The Faint Of Heart, stick to your oem size.

I wanted "full disclosure" of my findings so that I would not feel quilty having someone spend over $1000 on these tires and blame me for my recommendation.

On the otherhand, the 255/40's are not bad as some scaredy-cats are making it sound. Sure, a good tire installer will recommend that you do not install 255/40 on a 8 inch rim. The minimium rim width for the 255/40 is a 8 1/2 rim. But, the tire is not gonna blow-up as the previous poster feared.

And the tire diameter difference is not that much to cause any PERCEIVABLE difference in odometer, speedometer, MID mpg readout. This was my point in my original post. That such a small difference could be FELT in the "seat of the pants" for much better handling, more brisk acceleration and more brisk braking. But, on the other hand, the difference is NOT PERCEIVABLE in the speedometer, mpg readout, etc. If the scaredy-cats are this afraid, then they better buy new tires now before their oem tires change diameter too much from the thread wearing down to a smaller diameter.

I still recommend this mod to those that are not "Faint Of Heart". There are advantages and disadvantages to nearly everything in life. This mod is no different. There are advantages and disadvantages to the 255/40's, but likewise there are advantages and disadvantages to the oem size as well.

As of now, the only disadvantage that I have found is that the rear tire pressure MUST be kept below 33 psi (which means a cold setting of 30 psi for the rear). I really doubt that the thread life is going to be that bad. Sure, I think the thread life is compromised, but only by a small amount (10% to maybe 20% less tire life). Time will tell the tale. But, there are advantages too. I like the new look of the car with the wide 255/40's. I will gladly pay the price of having 20% less tire life in exchange for the great handling, brisk engine rev'ing, more brisk braking, and most of all, for the BLING !!!

Old 05-05-2006, 10:57 PM
Racer

Inaccurate....I gotta admit.....the tires look great for sure....no argument with that
Old 05-07-2006, 10:19 PM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rka4570
I was looking at this size also but when I called Discount Tires and the Tire Rack they did would not sell the 255/40's to me because the stock rims are not wide enough. He said tire wear would be excessive and beads will not seat properly and something about the tire bulging outwards creating stress on the sidewalls. So I ended up detting the 245/45's instead.
Ditto...and can't be any happier...
Old 05-09-2006, 09:28 PM
Safety Car

For anyone that buys 255/40's, here is the tire pressure that I recommend .

Front
35 "cold"
37-38 optimum (as seen on MID while driving after tires have warmed-up)

Rear
30 "cold"
31-32 optimum (as seen on MID while driving after tires have warmed-up)

This is the ideal tire pressure for my Goodyear Eagle F1's. I would speculate that other brands of 255/40's would prefer these settings too.

I have been experimenting with various tire pressures. My testing consisted of NO SLALOMS and NO SKIDPADS , sorry. It did consist of trying different pressures each day along my daily commute to/from work. I judged the pressure by how easy the car seemed to roll (mpg concerns), how much the steering felt like it was driving on rails, and (mainly) how much the rearend wiggled when jiggling steering wheel at 60-80 mph.

So, after trying different pressures, I found the above setting to give me everything that I was looking for - car rolls very easy with great mpg, EXCELLENT STEERING LIKE RAILS, very stable steering, and NO rearend wiggle.

-----

As a side note - the rear pressure is very sensitive.

1) If the rears have much less than 30 psi (as seen on MID while driving after tires have warmed-up), the car rolls sluggish (hardly detectable, just my feeling), the steering has less "driving on rails" feeling, and there is mild rearend wiggle when jiggling steering wheel at 60-80 mph.

2) If the rears have much more than 33 psi (as seen on MID while driving after tires have warmed-up), the rearend will wiggle when jiggling steering wheel at 60-80 mph. And for reference, this wiggle is NOT dangerous. The wiggle is the same as the oem tires would exhibit.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:23 PM
Team 255/40-17 Member #3

Many thanks for the fine work, Inaccurate - helped make my new tire buying decision much easier. I typically go with slightly larger tires anyway when I replace the stock rubber and was looking for something to protect those protruding rims as well.

I mounted 4 BFGoodrich g-force sports (255/40 R17) on my oem rims this week and I couldn't be happier! I was a bit nervous at first, of course, but once I saw them on the car and realized there are no rubbing issues, I was able to relax. They fit on the rims well, the sidewalls don't bulge and the tire shop was completely confident that there would be no issues that I should lose sleep over. Good 'nough for me!

I enjoy the wider stance, the slightly better handling and traction and the protected rims - these are a nice upgrade - something the TL should have had on them to start with.

Thanks again to Inaccurate and to all the participants on this board for making the TL more enjoyable.

Aaron
Old 05-11-2006, 09:46 PM
Racer

Guys, the pics look awesome! No doubt.

Keep in mind, you will most likely need to use other tires for the winter months.

Also, consult your owers manual and a reputatable tire shop. Installation of these awesome looking tires can adversely affect your warranty. I say "can" because it is a dealer call. Consider befriending your service manager or you may encounter warranty support issues later due to this modification.

Again, I love the look!
Old 05-11-2006, 10:08 PM
Safety Car

Finally, someone to back me up. Thanks Aaron

Aaron, I see that this is your first post. Welcome aboard !!
Thanks for taking the time to post. I am very glad that you enjoy the new tires. It is rewarding to see that my efforts have not "fallen on deaf ears" !!! I have benefited from this forum since I got my 2006 TL, and I wanted to "return the favor" by helping others here on the forum. So, Thanks again Aaron for the post.

I think we should begin a "Team 255/40-17" club. The first member is hereby officially designated as "danno" . As far as I could see from doing searches on this forum, he was the "first and only" person to ever mount 255/40-17 tires on the oem rims. It was his example that gave me the encouragement to try the 255/40-17. If it was not for his photos showing his TL with 255/40-17, I probably would not had tried them. And, I am Sooooo glad that I did find danno's archived post and Sooooo glad that I went with the 255/40-17 !!! If you do a forum search for all post by "danno", you will see that he was very proud and pleased with his 255/40-17 (as am I). The sad part is that he does not visit the TL forum anymore. According to his profile, he last visited the forum on 02-09-2006.

The "Team 255/40-17" Member List
------------------------------------------
Team 255/40-17 Member #1 = danno
Team 255/40-17 Member #2 = Inaccurate
Team 255/40-17 Member #3 = AaronB

Here is the link to danno's profile -->
https://acurazine.com/forums/members/danno-122571/

Here is the link to danno's photos -->
http://www.pwolly.com/EBAY/Dan/car.htm

Here are some of his qoutes -->

No rubbing AT ALL! I had the tire shop try the tire on each side to "check" for clearance before buying. I `ve driven a couple of weeks with no problem. LOVE THESE TIRES! (03-29-2004, 9:41 AM )

The tires are great on this car. Better grip in the rain than Turanzas. After looking at the before and after pics of my car with 235s vs. 255s, These tires LOOK like they are made for the car... (04-04-2004, 10:53 AM)

I put the Yokos on with 255/40/17s. They look and ride great (04-07-2004, 9:30 PM)

The Yokos in 255/40/17s have been on my car a couple months. No problem at all. They look great! (04-16-2004, 10:42 AM)

I was the one who put the 255/40/17s on.Yokohamas. Great tire.Size is perfect. NO PROBLEMS AT ALL! (04-17-2004, 1:57 PM )

They fit perfect, and looks like they came on the car as an option. (05-01-2004, 4:47 PM )

I`ve got the 255/40/17s ES100s and they are THE PERFECT size for the wheel AND the car. (05-16-2004, 3:21 PM)

<< end of qoutes by danno >>

And, here is a pic of danno's car with the 255/40-17 YOKO ES100 (this was in March 2004 !!!!)

Big Image, click here --> http://www.pwolly.com/EBAY/Dan/DSCN2556.JPG
Old 05-11-2006, 10:33 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I'll be a member in 20k when my RE750's go
Old 05-11-2006, 10:45 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Acura Jeff
you may encounter warranty support issues later due to this modification.
True. Along with the K&N air filters, Comptech Rear Sway Bars, 245/45-17 tires, 19" rims, 20" rims, Comptech short shifters, aftermarket exhaust systems, cold air intakes, aftermarket performance struts, aftermarket performance springs, modified running lights, hacked NAV units, underdrive pulleys, and more.

Wow, in comparision, the 255/40-17 replacement tires seems fairly mild. It's not like a person was "hopping up" their TL (hint = cold air intakes, K&N filters, etc). A person is just purchasing replacement tires.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:18 AM
Team 255/40-17 Member #3

Thanks for the welcome, Innaccurate - great to be here! And I will wear the #3 in Team 255/40-17 with pride!

I'll get some pictures up as soon as the car gets a bath.

Aaron
Old 05-12-2006, 08:44 PM
Safety Car

Aaron,

Great !!!!!!!! I see that you added your title below your avatar (nice avatar too) !!!

:gheywave: :gheywave:
Old 05-12-2006, 10:54 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts
I used to have 235/45/17 on 7 inches rims and they last foreevr..no problem at all..they look and ride good...sold the rim to my friends...he still riding on those tires..honestly...if 255/40/17 werent too hard to find the brand that make them...i would buy them....no question ask
Old 05-13-2006, 12:05 AM
Team 255/40-17 Member #3

Aaron,

Great !!!!!!!! I see that you added your title below your avatar (nice avatar too) !!!
Not exactly an Acura related avatar but my current wallpaper and quickly accessible.

I gotta be me!

A
Old 05-15-2006, 10:04 PM
Team 255/40-17 Member #3

I've got a couple photos with the new rubber, as soon as I figure out how to post them, I'll get them up.

In the meantime, Inaccurate, you had discussed the difference in speedometer and odometer readings with the new tires..... In the nav submenus (after pressing map, menu and cancel for 5 seconds) I discovered a 'tire calibrate' function and wondered what this might do exactly. It was mentioned somewhere else on the board but I wasn't sure if it had anything to do with the speedometer/odometer functionality or just something internal to the nav system.

Whaddya think?
Old 05-15-2006, 10:25 PM
Team 255/40-17 Member #3

A couple photos for you with the new tires - BFGoodrich g-force sports 255/40 R17's. Me like!!!

Old 05-16-2006, 10:36 PM
Safety Car

Aaron,

Great looking TL !!!!

So what is it - black color or blue color ? You keep switching the colors in the pics !!!

Ok, I'm joking. I am familiar with the Acura black pearl. My wife's 2003 RL is black pearl. I love that color... amazing how it changes from black to blue metalic.

Regarding the NAV, I would recommend posting a question in the "Audio, Bluetooth, Electronics & Navigation" section. I bet the folks there will know what that menu item is used for. For me, I have no NAV, and this is my only regret with my TL. When purchasing my TL, I had only one-day advanced warning that I was getting a new car.... So, I had little time to think. At the time, I thought I did not need NAV. Big MISTAKE. I WANT NAV !!!! Well, my next car WILL have NAV.

Thanks for the pics, and great looking tires !!!!
Old 05-16-2006, 10:54 PM
Safety Car

Aaron,

What tire pressure are you running ? Have you experimented with different pressures ?

For mine, I found that the best pressure =

Front
35 "cold"

Rear
30 "cold"

If you missed it, see my post on Page 2 (Post #48) in which I elaborate on my pressure experiemnts.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:11 PM
One on the right for me

AaronB, your TL looks nice, and the tires seem to fit the wheel well. Looks good
Old 05-16-2006, 11:35 PM
Intermediate

Like the way the tires look but im pretty sure it will just be a matter of time until us 06/07 TL owners will get error messages on our TPMS display.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:46 PM
Safety Car

acura818,

I don't understand ??? Please explain why you think the MID would throw an error. By the way, mine is a '06.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:21 PM
Team 255/40-17 Member #3

Thanks guys - I appreciate the comments!

Inaccurate - you crack me up! My car is actually BLUE! The first one I saw I actually thought was black - and that's what turned me on to the color. In the shade, it is very dark but in the sunlight it's a brilliant metallic blue. So, now I'm able to enjoy it's 2 personalities!

I'm running 32 psi on both front and back at the moment, want to see how the tires do on that and will adjust as needed and will let you know what I end up with. Your input is perfect and gives me something to experiment with. Unfortunately, my TL is an 05 and doesn't have tire pressure monitor on the MID - will have to do this manually.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:23 PM
Team Anthracite Corsa

shoot, I'll try the 255/40-17 tomorrow
Old 05-17-2006, 11:25 PM
Safety Car

We got your title waiting for you !!!
"Team 255/40-17 Member #4" :silvercup

Please get some pics tomorrow. I can post the pics if you don't know how, or if you don't have a hosting service.

Old 05-18-2006, 12:26 PM
Team Anthracite Corsa

Thumbs up

We got your title waiting for you !!!
"Team 255/40-17 Member #4" :silvercup

Please get some pics tomorrow. I can post the pics if you don't know how, or if you don't have a hosting service.

well the 255/40-17's are on
no rubbing issues at all, and I have the Aspec package, good info here bro, thanks for the R&D.
I am running the stock TL wheels with the Aspec package, the actual Aspec wheels are in need of curb rash repair, as soon as I am done with that I will swap them out, kinda nice to have two sets of wheels/tires to go back and fourth.

I went a little more budget oriented, outfitted them with the Falken FK-451's,
buy 3 for 125 bucks, get the fourth free since I ran through 1 set each of yoko's and bridgestones in 32k I figured I'd save myself a few duckets

pics to follow, although she is quite dirty today
Old 05-18-2006, 12:44 PM
Team Anthracite Corsa

Old 05-18-2006, 04:13 PM
AVB for President!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like a DOD sticker on the windshield...
Old 05-18-2006, 04:49 PM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by moregrip
shoot, I'll try the 255/40-17 tomorrow

wow you werent kidding. looks good
Old 05-18-2006, 04:58 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,821 Likes on 3,734 Posts
Originally Posted by moregrip
well the 255/40-17's are on
no rubbing issues at all, and I have the Aspec package, good info here bro, thanks for the R&D.
I am running the stock TL wheels with the Aspec package, the actual Aspec wheels are in need of curb rash repair, as soon as I am done with that I will swap them out, kinda nice to have two sets of wheels/tires to go back and fourth.

I went a little more budget oriented, outfitted them with the Falken FK-451's,
buy 3 for 125 bucks, get the fourth free since I ran through 1 set each of yoko's and bridgestones in 32k I figured I'd save myself a few duckets

pics to follow, although she is quite dirty today
Nice! Who installed your body side moulding? Did you get them from a dealership?

thanks
Old 05-18-2006, 06:06 PM
Team Anthracite Corsa

Originally Posted by pttl
Nice! Who installed your body side moulding? Did you get them from a dealership?

thanks
Dealer installed the whole kit, after I bought it that is
Old 05-18-2006, 08:51 PM
Team Anthracite Corsa

Originally Posted by TLTrance
Looks like a DOD sticker on the windshield...
Old 05-18-2006, 09:56 PM
Safety Car

Hail yea, now that's what I'm talk'in 'bout !!!!

Welcome to the "Team 255/40-17" club.

Updated listing -

The "Team 255/40-17" Member List
-------------------------------------------------
Team 255/40-17 Member #1 = danno
Team 255/40-17 Member #2 = Inaccurate
Team 255/40-17 Member #3 = AaronB
Team 255/40-17 Member #4 = moregrip

moregrip, thanks for taking the time to take the pics and posting them. Thanks for taking the time to sneak-in a car wash too !!! Looks awesome.

Old 05-18-2006, 11:01 PM
Team 255/40-17 Member #3

Definitely the way these cars should look! Nicely done, Moregrip! Thanks for sharing the pics!

Aaron
Old 05-22-2006, 08:35 PM
Team Anthracite Corsa

Originally Posted by AaronB
Definitely the way these cars should look! Nicely done, Moregrip! Thanks for sharing the pics!

Aaron
thanks bro
Old 06-02-2006, 03:23 PM
10th Gear

255/40/17's

Well boys I'm hooked, I'm running down to NTB to order my 255/40/17's tonight, I'll post pics a soon as the new rubber's on....nice!!! O, BTW does this make me # 5th to the 255/40/17's club?
Old 06-02-2006, 10:42 PM
Safety Car

trfortin,

Welcome to the "Team 255/40-17" Club !!!

We have your title reserved for you --> Team 255/40-17 Member #5

What brand of tire are you getting ?

I'm sure that you are going to be thrilled with the bling.

Remember to try my recommended tire pressure -->

Front
35 "cold"
38-39 with "hot" tires

Rear
30 "cold"
32-33 with "hot" tires
Old 06-02-2006, 11:16 PM
Safety Car

UPDATE - - -

It has been six weeks and 1,500 miles since I got my 255/40-17 Goodyear Eagle F1 (D3) tires. And, I *still* standby my recommendation.

In the beginning, some of the "overly cautious" posters had me a bit worried about uneven wear. But, I have been watching closely and I see no unusual or uneven wearing.

I *LOVE* this tire size and the Eagle F1's very much. At this point in time, I see myself purchasing this same tire in this same size for the rest of the car's life (I always keep my cars until they wearout around 200,000 miles).

One additional advantage that I have become aware of is that I have NO TRAMMING. I don't know if the credit goes to the 255 tire size or to give credit to the Eagle F1's

Quick Reply: Why you should get 255/40-17 tires for your OEM rims !!!