how smooth does your tl ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 07:13 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how smooth does your tl ride

ok i have a base 04 tl, but with the aspec rims and my ride quality is not really what i expected out of a tl, idk if its my tires or what but its not smooth at all, my rsx was smoother then this, i mean u can feel every bump it goes on in the road, what can i do to make my ride smoother like, and what should my tire psi be for better gas mileage, i have it on 40 right now
Old 01-22-2010, 07:18 AM
Advanced

the ride of a TL is supposed to be a little sporty and stiff. I went from a volvo to a type-s and the change was completely apparent to me, but I enjoyed the feel. as for tire pressure, you should check your manual or driver door, it should tell you. mine is like 35 front 32 rear or something, but may be different for base and type-s.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:35 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
i guess its all bout definition of "smooth". i have the apsec suspension so i feel even more bumps, but it handles better. overall though i think the TL runs very smooth. it doesnt hop around, it stays a planted in curves and recovers very well after dips and bumps, so to me this is smooth.

question, what kind of tires are you riding, and what psi are you using now?

personally, i love how my car handles and would not trade that in for a "smoother" ride.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:50 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Being a sport luxury sedan, it is going to be a stiffer than a Caddy or something designated at pure luxury.

If your ride has the aspec suspension and 18" wheels with performance tires, it will be even a bit more harsh.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:53 AM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 98 Likes on 90 Posts
My parents tell me that my car rides better than all of their cars and I have a 96 and they have 04s.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Instructor

The TL's ride is excellent as is! It gives very good feedback - you feel every bump, crack and dip - without being jarring and uncomfortable. It's the perfect blend of sporting capability and comfort.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:26 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by blkaspec
i guess its all bout definition of "smooth". i have the apsec suspension so i feel even more bumps, but it handles better. overall though i think the TL runs very smooth. it doesnt hop around, it stays a planted in curves and recovers very well after dips and bumps, so to me this is smooth.

question, what kind of tires are you riding, and what psi are you using now?

personally, i love how my car handles and would not trade that in for a "smoother" ride.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:37 PM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Riding on Tein SS; bumpy, hard and stiff!
"That's what she said?"

Also- The worst is hitting moguls... my car goes up and down to each bump.

Last edited by Souljah; 01-22-2010 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Don't want to doublepost
Old 01-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Instructor

if you get thicker tires it will make a big difference. you have size 18 235/15 45 you should get 245/15 45....those low profile tires look good but they dont have much meat on them
Old 01-22-2010, 07:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
dude your tire pressure is way to high; if they are 40 psi cold, then your probably at 43 or 44 psi hot; I keep mine at 34 front and 33 rear, which is 1 psi above recommended! plus the tire you have on the car can make a huge difference; if your running UHP then the ride is going to be rougher than if you had a HP or Grand Touring tire on the car

personally, I like the ride on my base TL; its a little bit more on the firm side, compared to something like a Lexus ES or Toyota Camry but its not harshly firm like an Infiniti or Nissan; has a nice blend of comfort but allows you to feel just enough of the road without it become too ridiculous; now I have heard that people with the type-s suspension and wheels have a considerably more firm ride
Old 01-23-2010, 02:37 PM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by billz1109
if you get thicker tires it will make a big difference. you have size 18 235/15 45 you should get 245/15 45....those low profile tires look good but they dont have much meat on them

all you did was increase the width of the tire...you didnt add meat
Old 01-23-2010, 04:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by blkaspec
all you did was increase the width of the tire...you didnt add meat
I think the other guy had the number system wrong but if I understand what he's saying, going from a 235/45 to a 245/45 will give you a taller sidewall. 45% of 245 is greater than 45% of 235. At least I think that's what he meant to say.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:37 AM
Instructor

yeah that was what i meant to say i had it wrong 235/45 to a 245/45 sorry about that
Old 01-24-2010, 02:34 PM
9th Gear

We have an '08, and I think it rides terribly. The factory Bridgestones will need replaced this spring when I switch rims from the winter Blizzaks, which have improved the ride noticeably. Any ideas on specific tires that would improve ride quality?

Mark
Old 01-24-2010, 07:42 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by nighthawk2004
ok i have a base 04 tl, but with the aspec rims and my ride quality is not really what i expected out of a tl, idk if its my tires or what but its not smooth at all, my rsx was smoother then this, i mean u can feel every bump it goes on in the road, what can i do to make my ride smoother like, and what should my tire psi be for better gas mileage, i have it on 40 right now
I would drop the pressure down to 37-38 PSI in the front and 35-36 PSI in the back. If you get a touring tire, you may gain some more comfort, and make sure you get 245/40/18 for your A-Spec wheels. I'm running Yokohama Avid W4S 245/40/18 tires, and I'm very happy with the ride quality. Definitely smoother than my RSX with BF Goodrich g-Force tires.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:52 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by smarty666
dude your tire pressure is way to high; if they are 40 psi cold, then your probably at 43 or 44 psi hot; I keep mine at 34 front and 33 rear, which is 1 psi above recommended! plus the tire you have on the car can make a huge difference; if your running UHP then the ride is going to be rougher than if you had a HP or Grand Touring tire on the car

personally, I like the ride on my base TL; its a little bit more on the firm side, compared to something like a Lexus ES or Toyota Camry but its not harshly firm like an Infiniti or Nissan; has a nice blend of comfort but allows you to feel just enough of the road without it become too ridiculous; now I have heard that people with the type-s suspension and wheels have a considerably more firm ride
I currently drive a 2009 Honda Civic Si sedan. It’s on Neuspeed Sport springs, and Koni shocks. It rides just okay. But the roads here are rekt. The roads especially close to my house are really bad. I originally owned this civic while I lived in a Orange County where roads are billiard table smooth. Now that I’m in Los Angeles, the ride is terrible and I feel ever. Sing. Bump. But the worst part is how low the car is. I don’t bottom out, because I don’t do ricer math.

I also just got married about 5 months ago. The low ride hieght is going to be an issue when my new wife gets pregnant. Since we are planning on having kids, I wanted to know if anyone has experience with your wife getting in and out of the car? Also, we aren’t big people, either. I’m 5’8” 175lbs and my wife is a 5’4” Filipina.

The question is: Will an Acura TL type S (the one I really want) just be a bigger version of my current ride? Because it’s a sports luxury sedan, so it should ride nice, right?! Does the Type-S have a comfy ride height? I’m not looking to lower it, and I want to sell my Civic Si and use the cash to buy the TL Type S.

Thoughts....?
Old 09-08-2018, 10:02 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by OMGOrangeSi

I currently drive a 2009 Honda Civic Si sedan. It’s on Neuspeed Sport springs, and Koni shocks. It rides just okay. But the roads here are rekt. The roads especially close to my house are really bad. I originally owned this civic while I lived in a Orange County where roads are billiard table smooth. Now that I’m in Los Angeles, the ride is terrible and I feel ever. Sing. Bump. But the worst part is how low the car is. I don’t bottom out, because I don’t do ricer math.

I also just got married about 5 months ago. The low ride hieght is going to be an issue when my new wife gets pregnant. Since we are planning on having kids, I wanted to know if anyone has experience with your wife getting in and out of the car? Also, we aren’t big people, either. I’m 5’8” 175lbs and my wife is a 5’4” Filipina.

The question is: Will an Acura TL type S (the one I really want) just be a bigger version of my current ride? Because it’s a sports luxury sedan, so it should ride nice, right?! Does the Type-S have a comfy ride height? I’m not looking to lower it, and I want to sell my Civic Si and use the cash to buy the TL Type S.

Thoughts....?
I have a 2006 TL with the 6MT which has a suspension very similar to the Type-S; it rides very nice and smooth on all roads except the very worst (thinking Washington Ave in Hoboken, NJ). Granted it has been over 20 years since my wife was pregnant, but I wouldn't have any concerns with a pregnant woman riding in any stock version of the 3G TL. FWIW, my mother is in her 80s and rather frail and yet she feels very comfortable in my TL.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:04 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by OMGOrangeSi

Thoughts....?
This thread is over 8 years old

Go test drive one
If you're planning for a family and the roads are shit
Time to get something that's more conducive to your life
Old 09-08-2018, 10:56 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
My wife drove my '05 TL while pregnant with both of our kids with no complaints. Well there were complaints, but it had nothing to do with the ride quality of the car.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:46 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Majofo
This thread is over 8 years old

Go test drive one
If you're planning for a family and the roads are shit
Time to get something that's more conducive to your life

Hahahaha @

This is why I’m planning and researching now, we are planning on a kid or two. We are getting my sister in laws Subaru Outback at the end of the year as a hand me downs.

And my Civic Si is a “single man’s car, and the wife can’t drive stick. I trained her one time, but that’s all we had time for. We have so little time because we are so busy, and when the kid comes, we’ll have even less time for stuff like that.

And I refuse to spend $20k or $40k on a new car. I’m done making payments.
So, it sounds like people are fairly happy with the ride quality of the TL and the TL type S. I’ll test drive one when we are ready to make the switch.