New to the TL World. Slow build

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 07:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 535 Likes on 269 Posts
Finally got the coils on!!! YAY!!! Lol. They ride SOOOOOOOOOOO good too. Can't wait to get the EDFC. Just trying to figure out where to mount the box...

Next mods: EDFC, front lip, J-pipe, mufflers, wheels, and a few misc items.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Makes a huge difference!
Old 04-03-2018, 08:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Flipster23
Makes a huge difference!

Yes it does! Taking corners, the car feels more planted. I enjoy the smooth ride too. Took it on a 4hr trip yesterday and it handle well. Just waiting to get a set of wheels with some new tires. Gotta see what bills and all are gonna be coming out of the check this month. Need to get tires for the wife's 2010 TSX along with brakes, 55w HID kit, new fog lights, and a full detail. Gonna get some slotted rotors for the TL. Brakes don't seem like they...grip as they should.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:38 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadow2056
Yes it does! Taking corners, the car feels more planted. I enjoy the smooth ride too. Took it on a 4hr trip yesterday and it handle well. Just waiting to get a set of wheels with some new tires. Gotta see what bills and all are gonna be coming out of the check this month. Need to get tires for the wife's 2010 TSX along with brakes, 55w HID kit, new fog lights, and a full detail. Gonna get some slotted rotors for the TL. Brakes don't seem like they...grip as they should.
Slotted and/or drilled rotors are pretty much all show and no go; by that I mean, they will do exactly zero to improve your braking performance, errr, unless you spend time on a track, and even then the difference won't be much.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Slotted and/or drilled rotors are pretty much all show and no go; by that I mean, they will do exactly zero to improve your braking performance, errr, unless you spend time on a track, and even then the difference won't be much.
Thank you for the input. But from what I've experience and the different people I talk to and the research I've done, slotted are great for dd. Drilled/slotted is good for track. Not for daily driving. Slotted gives you a little better stopping power IF you get a good brand. Not just some random brand off eBay. Depends on how you drive too. I'm a spirited type driver. So I'd make sure of them. But for cruisers, no. There's no real benefit.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:13 PM
Latent car nut

Thank you for the input. But from what I've experience and the different people I talk to and the research I've done, slotted are great for dd. Drilled/slotted is good for track. Not for daily driving. Slotted gives you a little better stopping power IF you get a good brand. Not just some random brand off eBay. Depends on how you drive too. I'm a spirited type driver. So I'd make sure of them. But for cruisers, no. There's no real benefit.
So, by what mechanism do you believe slotted rotors provide better stopping power?

I ask because the slots effectively reduce the friction area of the disc, and given outgasing isn't an issue on modern pads when used anywhere except on a track, the physics of the situation suggests, all else being equal, a high quality set of blanks will outperform an identical quality set of slotted rotors.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:41 PM
Burning Brakes

So, by what mechanism do you believe slotted rotors provide better stopping power?

I ask because the slots effectively reduce the friction area of the disc, and given outgasing isn't an issue on modern pads when used anywhere except on a track, the physics of the situation suggests, all else being equal, a high quality set of blanks will outperform an identical quality set of slotted rotors.
Originally Posted by BuyAutoParts.com
Slotted brake rotors offer a significant performance boost over a smooth brake rotors. Under heavy braking, pad wear and outgassing causes a layer of dust and gasses to build up between the pad and the rotor surface, dangerously decreasing friction and causing “brake fade.” Unlike a smooth rotor, the slotted rotor has channels, or “slots” as the name implies, machined into the friction surface of the rotor. These slots allow for gas and brake dust to escape, resulting in better contact between the pad and rotor. Also, as the microscopic debris and gases are vented away from the pad, they naturally follow the path of the slot ACROSS the surface of the rotor, spreading out the heat and reducing likelihood of warpage due to overheating. The slots can also provide more initial “bite” for your brake pad and increase braking effectiveness while maintaining a smooth and responsive pedal feel.
Originally Posted by Redline360
Slotted brake rotors are a great alternative to drilled rotors because they serve the same purpose of expelling hot brake gas, but since they retain the strength of the rotor, they do not crack like drilled rotors can. We highly recommend slotted rotors such as StopTech. Some people argue that the drilled rotors are more for show, and the slotted rotors are more for race and performance. Slotted rotors are also better designed for wet conditions as they move water away from the rotor more efficiently for superior wet braking.
Originally Posted by StopTech
Slotting and/or cross-drilling helps wipe away the debris that forms between the pad and the disc, adds more bite, and can help the rear brakes to match the aesthetics of a front big brake kit. The rotor finish helps prevent glazing of the pads and improves wet and dry braking performance.
This matches with the research I've done over the past few years. It's not just a "whim" thing I'm doing. I had them on my TSX and on my 92 Accord. Loved them. felt great and stopping was amazing Felt more...confident in my vehicle's stopping ability. There's plenty more info out there. If they were of no benefit, manufactures like BMW, Mercedes, and others wouldn't be putting them on their cars. From the past couple of cars I've put them on, I've noticed a difference in braking feel and distance. You may FEEL as though there is no real difference. But others have experienced and seen the difference.

Last edited by Shadow2056; 04-03-2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:33 PM
Latent car nut

Okay, call me the loyal opposition, but what they are quoting hasn't been true for well over a decade. Yes, it helps them to sell more expensive stuff (much like low restriction intake makers claiming better fuel economy), but the fact is, they are selling a lie.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
Old 04-03-2018, 05:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Okay, call me the loyal opposition, but what they are quoting hasn't been true for well over a decade. Yes, it helps them to sell more expensive stuff (much like low restriction intake makers claiming better fuel economy), but the fact is, they are selling a lie.

Well intakes, depending on brand and design, do offer better fuel economy. Lol. And from the times I've had slotted rotors, I've noticed the difference. Drilled and slotted aren't good for a DD since SOME of those gasses help with friction. But slotted are fine. QUALITY drilled are ok as well. Only bad thing I've heard is from cheap drilled ones when they crack.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:01 PM
Latent car nut

Oh my, sorry for opening up another can of worms, but it isn't physically possible for an intake to improve fuel economy. Modern fuel injection systems weigh the intake charge downstream of the throttle body and inject the correct amount of fuel for the current conditions; hugely restrictive and dirty, clean K&N, clean OEM, or no intake at all, the fuel economy will be the same. Here again, the whole "low restriction intake will improve fuel economy" thing is a product of a bygone era (in this case the carbureted era).
Old 04-04-2018, 08:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Oh my, sorry for opening up another can of worms, but it isn't physically possible for an intake to improve fuel economy. Modern fuel injection systems weigh the intake charge downstream of the throttle body and inject the correct amount of fuel for the current conditions; hugely restrictive and dirty, clean K&N, clean OEM, or no intake at all, the fuel economy will be the same. Here again, the whole "low restriction intake will improve fuel economy" thing is a product of a bygone era (in this case the carbureted era).

Well I can close that can of worms. Lol. From my watching my fuel economy before and after intake install on all my vehicles, it does offer better fuel economy. I keep a STRICT watch on my fuel. I notice how my different driving habits effect it. Even the different brand gas you use changes it. I've even used different routes to work to test the fuel economy driving the different ways and various speed limits in each area, stop lights, traffic and more. No matter what you say, from my experience, fuel economy is improved with an aftermarket intake(quality brand). Braking is improved with slotted, drilled, or drilled/slotted rotors(quality brand). If what you say was true, there would be no point for any company to use them. Racing or for daily driving. You're telling me, from what you're saying, you are smarter than the race teams and car manufactures who use these products on their vehicles.

I've never seen this "low restriction" description you're talking about. Honestly, it sounds like a cheap way to sell a product. Lol.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:35 AM
Latent car nut

I submit your anecdotal observations really don't prove anything. Here is a very detailed study which clearly shows, regardless of restriction, fuel economy will remain basically unchanged:
Old 04-04-2018, 09:16 AM
Burning Brakes

I submit your anecdotal observations really don't prove anything. Here is a very detailed study which clearly shows, regardless of restriction, fuel economy will remain basically unchanged:

Yep. Controlled testing. Meaning the temps were always the same. The amount the gas pedal was depressed was the same. The engine is either at two temps: warmed up to standard running temps or cold start. Not the in between temps. This was all done in a lab where test controls are all the same. Not out in real world where there's stop and go, traffic, below speed limit driving, above speed limit driving, at speed limit driving, different contaminates in the air(filters don't filter 100% of contaminates in the air because no filter can). As I said. MY experience and testing has proven different. Am I smarter than them? Nope. But I have real world test. Where it counts.

Look at the window sticker of a 2016 Honda Accord Touring. You'll see that the 3.5 V6 gets 33mpg. That's what their "test" showed for its fuel economy. My sister showed me she was getting 42mpg. On paper is good and all. But REAL WORLD test is what shows. Being in a controlled environment means if the environment was exactly like this, these are the results you'll get. But driving around town will never be a static temps or driving conditions.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:06 AM
Latent car nut

Sorry, not a chance, modern fuel injection systems do not even remotely act the way you suggest.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Sorry, not a chance, modern fuel injection systems do not even remotely act the way you suggest.

From my experience they do. Its ok tho. Thanks for your input
Old 04-04-2018, 01:29 PM
Latent car nut

From my experience they do. Its ok tho. Thanks for your input
I think automotive engineers all over the world would love to hear your rationale for believing this.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:33 PM
Burning Brakes

I think automotive engineers all over the world would love to hear your rationale for believing this.

Once again. Thank you for your input. I have no need to prove anything to anyone. My vehicle. My study. Someone doesn't agree with it. Oh well.
The following users liked this post:
Joecop67 (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 02:40 PM
Latent car nut

Once again. Thank you for your input. I have no need to prove anything to anyone. My vehicle. My study. Someone doesn't agree with it. Oh well.
Not to beat this to death, but by what mechanism do you believe a change in the intake can improve fuel economy?
Old 04-04-2018, 02:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Not to beat this to death, but by what mechanism do you believe a change in the intake can improve fuel economy?
In essence, allowing the engine to breathe easier helps with fuel economy. Less work the engine has to do, the more efficiently it'll work.

I don't know the exact science behind it. What's you point to this? You don't agree with me, there's no point for you to keep posting in here. You're not going to change my thoughts on it. You have your papers and opinion. I have my experience. This isn't a science project.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:48 PM
Latent car nut

In essence, allowing the engine to breathe easier helps with fuel economy. Less work the engine has to do, the more efficiently it'll work.

I don't know the exact science behind it. What's you point to this? You don't agree with me, there's no point for you to keep posting in here. You're not going to change my thoughts on it. You have your papers and opinion. I have my experience. This isn't a science project.
I'm an engineer, everything is a science project. Faith versus knowledge I guess.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:55 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm an engineer, everything is a science project. Faith versus knowledge I guess.
Ok. Figured you were overthinking it for a reason.

As I said. I don't know the exact science behind it. But it works. I don't question it. It doesn't cause harm. It saves me money over time.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:27 AM
Fluvial Geomorphologist

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Butt dyno beats the scientific method. Every. Single. Time.

polobunny (04-14-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 08:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by *.jpg
Butt dyno beats the scientific method. Every. Single. Time.

Wrong subject. I'm talking about me watching my fuel economy and better braking. Not how much power a mod adds.

But hey. Go tell the automakers they're wrong for added drilled rotors on their vehicles because it doesn't make the vehicle stop any faster. Let me know how that works out.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:51 AM
Fluvial Geomorphologist

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
"My experience" = "butt dyno".

The scientific method exists to make comparisons relevant by changing only one variable. There is no rational basis to argue that "real world" driving is more representative when that includes continually changing multiple variables.

Automakers do a lot of things that don't serve any actual function because they know it helps sell more vehicles. Drilled/slotted rotors look sportier, so they add them on. Most spoilers/aero features do nothing for the cars they're on, but they look cool, so they add them on. I have the A-spec kit on my car because it looks good, not because it improves teh downforces.

Enjoy your cosmetic enhancements--there's nothing wrong with it!
Pair of TLs (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 09:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by *.jpg
"My experience" = "butt dyno".

The scientific method exists to make comparisons relevant by changing only one variable. There is no rational basis to argue that "real world" driving is more representative when that includes continually changing multiple variables.

Automakers do a lot of things that don't serve any actual function because they know it helps sell more vehicles. Drilled/slotted rotors look sportier, so they add them on. Most spoilers/aero features do nothing for the cars they're on, but they look cool, so they add them on. I have the A-spec kit on my car because it looks good, not because it improves teh downforces.

Enjoy your cosmetic enhancements--there's nothing wrong with it!
Old 04-06-2018, 10:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 764 Likes on 466 Posts
BUTT-DYNO! Luv it!

I'm stealing that, just so you know.

Since I drive like an old man and never come close to over-working the brakes (or tires) I replace my OEMs (when they wear out) with slotted/drilled rotors 'cuz it looks cool. And I've never had a set wear out, and if I did, brakes on these babies are a piece of cake.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pair of TLs
BUTT-DYNO! Luv it!

I'm stealing that, just so you know.

Since I drive like an old man and never come close to over-working the brakes (or tires) I replace my OEMs (when they wear out) with slotted/drilled rotors 'cuz it looks cool. And I've never had a set wear out, and if I did, brakes on these babies are a piece of cake.

They've always looked great to me. Especially behind some aftermarket wheels.

I've been thinking about the wheels I wanted to go with. I might put wheels on hold for the time being so I can make an actual decision on which ones I want to get. 18x9.5 or x10s is the specs I plan to go with. Not sure which wheels yet. Ugh. I'm sure by the end of the year, I'll end up having like 3 or 4 sets of wheels sitting at home. Lol.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Got my EDFC in yesterday thanks to shayan! Can't wait to install it. Got some 25mm wheel spacers as well. Gotta get a strut bar from Heeltoe to be able to put the motors on the front.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Finally got my 25mm spacers put on yesterday. Rides smooth. No vibrations. No rubbing. Gotta figure out where to mouth the EDFC control box tho. Hmmm.....

Gonna buy the RV6 strut bar this week so I can install the motors on all 4 corners next week.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 127 Posts
That look really good, cant wait to install my koni/ H & R springs. What brand spacers did you go with?
Shadow2056 (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 08:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 90foxnotch
That look really good, cant wait to install my koni/ H & R springs. What brand spacers did you go with?

I got these off Amazon. Yeah. I'm sure someone's gonna say something about it. Lol.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:23 AM

Received 9,495 Likes on 6,167 Posts
Perfect fitment
Shadow2056 (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 08:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Perfect fitment

Thanks! Now I'm waiting to be able to order my RV6 strut bar from Heeltoe so I can put this EDFC on! This is the suspension set up I've wanted since I was 18. I'm SOOO glad I didn't end up selling it.

Last things on the list for this car:
-J pipe
-Mufflers(still trying to decide if I'm gonna get the ATLP mufflers Heeltoe has or just some oval style).
-Type S ASpec front lip
-Some 18x9.5s or 18x10s
Old 04-19-2018, 09:25 AM

Received 9,495 Likes on 6,167 Posts
Thanks! Now I'm waiting to be able to order my RV6 strut bar from Heeltoe so I can put this EDFC on! This is the suspension set up I've wanted since I was 18. I'm SOOO glad I didn't end up selling it.

Last things on the list for this car:
-J pipe
-Mufflers(still trying to decide if I'm gonna get the ATLP mufflers Heeltoe has or just some oval style).
-Type S ASpec front lip
-Some 18x9.5s or 18x10s
Instead of just mufflers, have you considered the ATLP Base Catback? I had it paired with the ATLP J-Pipe and Race Pipe. It was the best thing I ever did to the car.

Shadow2056 (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 09:49 AM
Burning Brakes

I got these off Amazon. Yeah. I'm sure someone's gonna say something about it. Lol.
Ive actually heard good reviews about the ones on ebay, Im just saving up for wheels but it is tempting. Good luck with your future mods
Shadow2056 (04-19-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 11:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Instead of just mufflers, have you considered the ATLP Base Catback? I had it paired with the ATLP J-Pipe and Race Pipe. It was the best thing I ever did to the car.

I would, but not too keen on spending $900+ on an exhaust system. Lol. I might later down the road. But for the time being, mufflers will do fine. I've heard them and they sound great.

Ive actually heard good reviews about the ones on ebay, Im just saving up for wheels but it is tempting. Good luck with your future mods
Thanks. I have a couple of friends who've used them and love them with no issues. Mine ride great with no extra vibrations too.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Pic I took the other night at work....I love this car. I need to get a new phone that can take some better pics at night. Lol.

Still on the list of mods:
-Oval style mufflersa
-J Pipe
-Install EDFC
-new tires
-Not sure if I want to do a Type S ASpec lip or just an STi lip
ACCURATEin (08-30-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 07:54 AM
Burning Brakes

That drop looks really good and not too low. I plan on buying a STI lip here soon, I wanna install my new suspension first though.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:27 AM
Burning Brakes

That drop looks really good and not too low. I plan on buying a STI lip here soon, I wanna install my new suspension first though.

I'm the same way. I don't want to do a lip without suspension.

The drop is without adjustment from Tein. Installed them right out the box. Love the drop. If/when I get some 18s, I'll have to drop the rear a little lower. Have it a balanced look all around.