TL/TLX Frequently Asked Questions No New Threads Please.

Zaino Instructions 101, or Zaino for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 04:17 PM
Team Anthracite President

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Not really, it means apply, and then wait at least the time mentioned to cure.

Moreover, you can (and I do) apply Z-6 before and after polishing, but don't use Z-6 until you have at first coat of polish installed and removed.

Mike Smeezy,
Old 03-05-2004, 09:17 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't get it when people say it's a lot of work.

I worked a lot harder when I had to get my power buffer out to glaze and wax my car and then use a gloss enhancer. It took an entire afternoon, a lot of sweat and lasted maybe 6 weeks. Now, it takes 30 minutes, and lasts 6 months! When I had to do it by hand, it was even MORE work.

The prep work of Dawn washing (Blue Dawn has the proper pH to best remove old wax), claying and re-washing should be done for ANY polish - be it wax, Zaino, other polymer or whatever - if you want the best results.

If you just want super quick - you can just wipe on one fast coat of Z-2 (with a couple drops of ZFX added) and THAT's ALL! No Clay, No Dawn, no Z-6, no prep - That's all! 30 minutes and you're done. If that's all you want, you can do it faster and easier with Zaino.

You won't get the ultimate show car finish, but it will STILL shine as good or better than anything else, and you'll still get great, long-lasting protection. Later, when you have the time and/or inclination, you can go for the full results. If not, don't'!
Old 03-06-2004, 01:06 AM
Instructor

Question

No sticky yet?
Old 03-09-2004, 12:10 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does Anthracite looks any better after 3 layers of Zaino? Have you try > 3 layers, Vffr1?
Old 03-09-2004, 12:38 AM
Safety Car

newbie to zaino products, i have used other products and they seem to have a pre-wax, polish and wax. zaino does seem to have the last wax process. is the z2-z5 equivalent of the wax? excuse the noob question.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:12 AM
Instructor

With my other cars, I've always used 'Rain Dance' paste wax. I was thinking about using it on my new TL as well. As anyone had any bad experiences with Rain Dance?
Old 03-09-2004, 11:48 AM

Questions Answered

Sonic

I did in fact put on a third layer this past weekend. I didn't notice a difference, it just look really shiny, as before. One note though: When I went to wash the car for the first time after applying Zaino, the water beaded like nothing I had ever seen, with that I elected to do all the windows too. I don't plan on applying another coat of Z-2 (polish) unitl July. I will however, us Z-6 (gloss enhancer) on days like when I going to a meet or something.

Caball88
Zaino is a polish, not a wax, but is meant to replace wax. Building wax layers is really impossible because you just remove that last layer of wax applied. However, building layers of Zaino (polish) works because polish coats don't remove the previous layer, as as such, with Zaino, you don't rub it into the paint, you merely apply to the paint.

cblackburn
I have never had a bad experience with any wax, but I have such a good experience with Zaino, I'll never go back. Would you ever buy a car without Air Conditioning?

I have seen the light, and I have been born again... All praise to Zaino.

Mike Smeezy
Old 03-09-2004, 04:39 PM
TLover

what do you guys use for the rims and tires? is armarol good?
Old 03-09-2004, 10:06 PM

I just swicthed to Armorall "Tire Foam" with the "gold" cap.

So far so good.

Mike Smeezy,
Old 03-10-2004, 08:29 AM
Instructor

I'm looking at the Zaino site now.. Does anyone know any coupon codes that can be used?
Old 03-10-2004, 11:43 AM
Intermediate

Question Use Dawn or Z-7 first?

Hey vffr1,

I've had my '04 TL for two and a half weeks and am waiting for the weather here in N.J. to warm up a bit (hopefully this weekend)before using Zaino for the first time. Just a couple of questions if you don't mind. Why did you use Dawn for the re-wash instead of the first wash? I would think you'd want to use Dawn "before" any of the Zaino items. Won't Z-7 remove claybar residue?

Thanks...
Mel
Old 03-10-2004, 12:41 PM

Re: Use Dawn or Z-7 first?

Originally posted by BelTelMel
Hey vffr1,

I've had my '04 TL for two and a half weeks and am waiting for the weather here in N.J. to warm up a bit (hopefully this weekend)before using Zaino for the first time. Just a couple of questions if you don't mind. Why did you use Dawn for the re-wash instead of the first wash? I would think you'd want to use Dawn "before" any of the Zaino items. Won't Z-7 remove claybar residue?

Thanks...
Mel
I use the dawn last becuase by using other soaps on the final wash (prior to polishing with Z-2 or Z-5), so I don't put back on silicons or other type of polishing agents that are found in most car shampoos.

Z-7 will remove clay bar residues, but may also put back on silicants, which I want to avoid prior to putting on the first polish coat.

My method works well for me, feel free to expierment, you may find something I missed.

Mike Smeezy,
Old 03-10-2004, 12:52 PM
Team Anthracite Rocky Mnt

Thumbs up New user

I recieved my Zanio kit Monday and applied it to my 2 week old TL yesterday. Very happy with the results. Thanks for Zaino 101.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:56 PM

Re: New user

Originally posted by Seabee
I recieved my Zanio kit Monday and applied it to my 2 week old TL yesterday. Very happy with the results. Thanks for Zaino 101.

Did you find the Zaino 101 thread helpful? Just curious.

Mike Smeezy
Old 03-10-2004, 01:28 PM
Team Anthracite Rocky Mnt

Thumbs up Re: Re: New user

Originally posted by Vffr1
Did you find Zaino 101 helpful? Just curious.

Mike Smeezy
Yes. I read/printed out your instructions and kept them at my side yesterday as I did the car. I have looked at several "instructions" on how to work Zaino and found yours to be straight forward and complete.

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:58 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 625 Likes on 276 Posts
Old 03-18-2004, 09:30 PM

Astroboy

Originally posted by Astroboy
Astroboy,

Thanks for the post! I just noticed of the "Zaino's" in the title is misspelled, can that be fixed by you, the moderater?

Also, I watched Astroboy as a child, don't know if you're old enough to know who Astroboy (the cartoon) was.

Thanks,

Mike Smeezy,
Old 03-18-2004, 09:46 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

LOL, I'm about 30, I remember it pretty well!
Old 03-19-2004, 02:16 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by tlxlr8s
what do you guys use for the rims and tires? is armarol good?
I have not using anything. Last weekend, I went to PepBoys and checked for tire cleaning products. The guy from PepBoys said the ArmorAll attracts dirt. He recommended the new HotShine TireSray from Meguiars but I did not buy it yet. Have anyone use HotShine TireSpray? What's your oppinion?
Old 03-30-2004, 05:54 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Old 04-08-2004, 09:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone try the Wolfgang Concours Series of Polish products ?

http://www.wolfgangcarcare.com/index.html
Old 04-11-2004, 09:19 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 04-15-2004, 04:57 PM
Team Nighthawk Water Boy

I picked up my kit last night..
Newb Question... MUST i really need to use the ZFX or the Z1 to put the Z2 or Z5 polishes on??

Also another question, for my first coat can i use the Z5, then the second coat use Z2?
Old 04-15-2004, 05:14 PM

Yes you should, and yes you can.

Mike Smeezy,
Zanio for Dummies Author
Old 04-29-2004, 06:20 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HELP!!
I'm scheduled to have the XPEL clear bra installed tomorrow. I planned to wash/wax the car tonight before it goes in (at least wax the area to be covered by the bra). Should I hold off until I can use Zaino (I planned to use Meguiar polish that I already have for now, Zaino in the future).

Will there really be a difference if I use Meg's on the nose now and Zaino for the rest later, since the nose will be inaccessible. Or does it not matter since the bra will be there? I've never used Zaino before and all my other cars had the old ugly vinyl bras which were easily removed for polishing.

I'd rather not wait for the bra. The car is a week old today, has 230 miles on it and I noticed a nick in the bumper last night

My wife doesn't understand my desire to keep the car perfect. When I told her I'm spending $500 for the bra she just shook her head. If you saw her old car you'd understand. Unfortunately her old car is now my new car. In a year or two the TL will be mine when she gets another new one so I want to protect my furture ride.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:27 PM

I would go ahead and use whatever wax under the bra.. The wax will be "locked-in" if you wil, and the main purpose in your application is to protect the paint from the "bra" (I almost wrote "bar" and I don't even drink, where's my head at?).

That's my 2 cents!

Mike Smeezy
Old 05-10-2004, 01:59 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vffr1
Did you find the Zaino 101 thread helpful? Just curious.

Mike Smeezy
Mike,

Just a note of thanks for the Zaino for Dummies post. I ordered the ultimate protection car show kit and spent all day yesterday with it. Zaino rocks! My TL had a lot of very fine swirl scratches, particularly on the hood. After dumping all my old carwash equpiment (mitt, chamois, rags, soap, etc.) I went through the entire process: Dawn, claybar, Z7, two coats of Z5 with Z6 in-between.

Scratch marks are almost gone, so I'll add another coat or two of Z5 tonight, and a couple or three coats of Z2 later this week, all with Z6 between and as a final touch-up. Even with just a couple coats of Z5, it looks better than it ever did, and that's without the "shiny" stuff!

The interior smells like a new leather jacket. Tires look "armor-alled" without the mess of Armor-all. Gonna get the glass cleaner and complete the process.

Only question I have is whether to use Dawn or Z7 after claybar. Instructions say Z7, you say it lays down silicones? I'm hoping it doesn't matter too much, as I went with Z7. I like how you can put Z5 & Z2 in any order, as long as you finish with Z2.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:33 PM

I finished with dawn (after the claybar). I wash my car with Z7 unitl after week after I had used Zaino Polish (Z2 or Z5) on the car.

In the big picture, I don't belive it matters, but I thought it best to start the polish process with nothing on the paint, including Z7 soap.

Hope that helps, and thanks for the thanks!

Mike Smeezy
Old 05-10-2004, 09:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by roadman
Anyone try the Wolfgang Concours Series of Polish products ?

http://www.wolfgangcarcare.com/index.html
Excellent product, reviewed well by us Autopians also.....Dont close your eyes to Four Star, Klasse, Blackfire, NXt either.....Also great products and not as costly.....
Old 06-29-2004, 09:07 PM
Intermediate

Tips for drying

For those lazy people like me, to dry the car faster you can use the "california wiper blade" or something like that. It's basically a super soft and flexible squegee.(however you spell it). It gets rid of the beads of water very quickly and makes drying much quicker. It's pretty soft so I haven't had any problems with scratches.

Edit: http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72443
by MOD rets