TL/TLX Frequently Asked Questions No New Threads Please.

Navi to video

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 01:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All,
First, I want to let you all know that I sell (navi-tv tuner) and do professional installation. I’m located in Philadelphia, PA. So those in the area who wants to get this done professionally can contact me @ (to_unplug@yahoo.com).

Anyways, here are the details.

If you never done installation of any kind, I would rate difficulty level 8.5 on scale of 10 & 6.5-7 if you have done stereo installations.

1st you’ll need Navi-TV tuner, which you can buy from me (help me out) & about a half a day to do install with some help. (i'll do it in 2-3hrs)

Run the wires (2 power, fm modulation, IR, &Toggle Switch cable) through the center console. It is also a good I idea to run at least one RCA cable for future use. Hook up the first power wire to the cigarette adapter that is in front & 2nd power to the outlet in armrest. Plug in the FM modulation cable (located on right side under the navi-unit). Fish through the IR & toggle switch by the red tray, which is not an ashtray. Once this is complete, test that everything works; Plug in the Navi-TV tuner unit. Hook up all of the cable & antennas. This is pretty much plug-n-play, no wire cutting necessary at all. Power it up make sure it works completely before putting everything back. You can mount the Navi-TV tuner anywhere you desire. You can mount with double side tape.

Computer get hooked up with RCA or S video. Navi-TV tuner had svga input. Quality of this isn't all that grate. One can get by for mp3's and movies. But to do actual work it pretty much sux fas as the resolution of the screen.

Resever camera get hooked to the reverse lights in the back; thus, when car goes in reverse the dispaly automatically comes up and shuts down when gear is changed to driver. Mount point can be various; inside back windshield where the rear brake light is on top of that or drill hole in the back bumper/numberplate/ etc. I prefer inside the car because you get wider view angle and its safe & secure for everything(rain, theft, getting knocked around)

Sound quality, its clear. I think FM modulation works grate. Its same as your local FM radio stations that you hear. With out the static :-)

Navi-tv tuner cost is 495+ shipping, & you can email regarding installation prices.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:07 PM
Still here

Originally posted by moat
Guys,

Great discussion so far. I have an 02 TL-S Navi and want to do the Navi to video conversion. I cant find the RGB1 adapter (as you already know) but did find this at the link below.

http://www.converters.tv/products/co...erters/42.html

Maybe one of you TV gurus can check out the specs to see if it might work. If so I am willing to be the guinea pig and order it up, but I dont know about the compatibility and all that sync stuff (ill have to read up on it)

Anyone have any feedback on this???

Thanks,

Mark
Mark -

I have been talking with these guys about using their product in my TSX. I gave them all of the specs out of my thick service manual and they think it should work. It should get here in a few weeks and I will post then if it works or not.

Also, this verstion has a power plug on the board:
http://www.converters.tv/products/co...erters/43.html

e_lectro
Old 07-31-2003, 07:12 AM
Instructor

I just got my RGB converter in the mail, unfortunately I don't have my car right now to install it. Should get it done in the next couple of weeks.

e_lectro, please keep us updated with your progress and any issues, i'll be sure to do the same...

Thanks,
Mark
Old 08-02-2003, 01:42 PM
8th Gear

Success!!

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to share my success story attaching my computer to the navi on my 2000 TL

After unsuccessful attempts at making a circuit that just combined the horiz/vsync from vga to combined sync, I finaly purchased a vga->rgb converter from here.
http://www.converters.tv/products/co...erters/40.html

It cost $140 + shipping which wasn't so bad.
The only other thing I did was attach a 4pdt relay and associated cabling. I put a switch by the dash dimmer to control the relay. I also got a blitz safe adapter and hooked that up to the trunk to the computers line out.

The computer itself is a mini-itx epia m9000
It also has dvd/cdburner/portable mp3 player connected to it through usb2. (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...Bf79D&Dept=cpu)

I don't have pictures though I don't think I can provide any pictures although there's really nothing of show. Just a lot of wiring.

Next up.. figure out the touch screen/controls or put a touch screen panel on top of the current one. Any ideas?

Also next up, getting a small enough microphone and changing the audio/ch button on the steering wheel to have the microphone active for voice control of the pc.

Whoohoo
Old 08-04-2003, 12:34 AM
Still here

Re: Success!!

How is the video of the computer? As, say, compared to using TV out on a videocard. I'm just hoping the resolution might be a bit better, if so, I could use this later as well.

Originally posted by oeris
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to share my success story attaching my computer to the navi on my 2000 TL

After unsuccessful attempts at making a circuit that just combined the horiz/vsync from vga to combined sync, I finaly purchased a vga->rgb converter from here.

The only other thing I did was attach a 4pdt relay and associated cabling. I put a switch by the dash dimmer to control the relay. I also got a blitz safe adapter and hooked that up to the trunk to the computers line out.

It also has dvd/cdburner/portable mp3 player connected to it through usb2. (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...Bf79D&Dept=cpu)

I don't have pictures though I don't think I can provide any pictures although there's really nothing of show. Just a lot of wiring.

Next up.. figure out the touch screen/controls or put a touch screen panel on top of the current one. Any ideas?

Also next up, getting a small enough microphone and changing the audio/ch button on the steering wheel to have the microphone active for voice control of the pc.

Whoohoo
Old 08-04-2003, 08:14 PM
8th Gear

Well right now the quality is not that great. I will soon fix that though. I have the converter running off the 12V provided by a power supply brick that powers the computer. And the power brick is connected to an inverter. I'm waiting for people at opussolutions to answer some questions about their power supply for cars that'll do things I want (but I fear they might be going out of business cause parts of their website are broken nowadays)

So with the inverter I think I'm getting a lot of noise on the 12V line and hence the converter is not doing a good job. I didn't have time to bypass the inverter->power brick and just hook it up to the car battery. I will do that this weekend and hopefully give you better news on the quality.

Right now my problems include not having a decent black/graylevel hence not being able to read icons and other text. Standard console on a virtual terminal is not so horrible and I can make out most of the text.

Will let you know dvd playback results.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: Success!!

Originally posted by oeris
Hey everyone,

Whoohoo
since u were successful with this, can you provide detailed instructions on how to hook it up. i think this would work great in my situation since id be hooking up a laptop as well. finally, a solution under $175 for the diy'er since the rgb1
Old 08-13-2003, 02:49 AM
Burning Brakes

does anyone think this unit http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...rpc=&catid=383 will work as an alternative????
Old 08-13-2003, 07:41 AM
8th Gear

I think that's just to amplify a bad signal. I doubt there'd be a need for something like that unless you're running some extremely long and very bad quality cabling. It says nothing about changing scan rates which is what you need.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:56 PM
Burning Brakes

eh fu<k it...im just gonna get this http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/carau....asp?sku=13484
Old 08-15-2003, 11:34 PM
Intermediate

Re: Posting Pix

Originally posted by systek
if anyone does this conversion and can take pix and post them, that would be a god send....!
just out of couriosity, how does your car do 5.7 0 to 60 mph and 14.9 1/4 mile. doens't make sence. if you do 5.7 0 to 60 mph you are supposed to be doing 14.2 or 14.3 1/4 mile instead. I did 6.3 / 14.9 with my 2003 tl-s.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:41 PM
Burning Brakes

nope, thinking back, im sure i got it confused w/the car i REALLY wanted, the gs400 which does around 5.7 0-60...i'll have to change that
Old 09-03-2003, 01:42 PM
Cruisin'

Has anyone in the Bay Area (Cali) done this? If so, please email at tlwj@comcast.net.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:22 AM
Intermediate

How can I run the video out of my KVT911 DVD player to the Navi screen. Or is it not possible?
Old 09-09-2003, 08:03 AM
Instructor

Look here...
http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=60960
This is one way to do it, worked great for me. I am assuming that your DVD Player has an RCA output for the video???
Old 09-11-2003, 06:37 PM
Intermediate

thank

Yeah it already has the RCA out. did you follow TypSDragoon to the letter?
Old 09-14-2003, 03:24 AM
Intermediate

pioneer gex-p7000tv tuner

has the gex-p7000tv tuner been used to convert the navi to a video screen? i have the pioneer tuner and antennas lying around, might as well use it. thanks.
Old 10-03-2003, 12:40 AM
Cruisin'

anyone know if i dont have the nav. dvd unit.... and all i have is the display screen and the hard drive and the harddisk drive, can i still play regular dvd, with a regular dvd player hook up, and also have the ac working....? i just want to play dvds onto the stock display screen, and be able to use the ac when i need to...
but i dont have the nav. dvd unit.... if anyone can help...
Old 11-19-2003, 07:12 PM
NO BP FUEL IN MY

I want to do the mod, but don't wanna fight with all the wiring etc. How can I get it already done, with out breaking my pocket?? Just plug and play..
Old 12-06-2003, 04:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally posted by TlsNavi03
I want to do the mod, but don't wanna fight with all the wiring etc. How can I get it already done, with out breaking my pocket?? Just plug and play..
As plug & play as it gets with a built in TV tuner, and multiple inputs and outputs to boot.

http://www.avelectronic.com/products.htm
Old 12-16-2003, 05:20 PM
Instructor

How is the setup done to receive the other A/V inputs? Wireless remote?

Originally posted by Mr Hyde
As plug & play as it gets with a built in TV tuner, and multiple inputs and outputs to boot.

Old 12-16-2003, 05:20 PM
Instructor

How is the setup done to receive the other A/V inputs? Wireless remote?

Originally posted by Mr Hyde

Old 02-15-2004, 09:34 PM
Instructor

I am about to buy the universal version of Avelectronics Navi-Tv-tuner system from a third-party; not the plug and play version which does not require cutting four wires. The wiring diagram included, is for toyota's, lexus's, etc. I need the proper wiring diagram for a 2004 Acura TL. If anyone has this diagram and installed this device, could they send me a copy?

Or should I simply just buy the system and let the installers at the stereo shop worry about it? They should know what they are doing right? Won't they more than likely use the toyota diagrams as a reference?
Old 03-11-2004, 12:28 PM
Cruisin'

Hey guys, first time poster, but I've been lurking for a while. I found this the other day which might be useful for guys with pc's that want a touchscreen interface. You could always have a dual display PC with this touchscreen using the standard VGA/DVI output, and the navi screen using composite outputs and a converter.
http://www.xenarc.com/product/700ts.html
Old 03-12-2004, 10:36 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
anyone try using the mdx or lexus rx camera with their setup? Just a small camera that mounts by thlights on teh ledge above the license plate.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:52 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 625 Likes on 276 Posts
Old 03-30-2004, 08:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by moreace
anyone try using the mdx or lexus rx camera with their setup? Just a small camera that mounts by thlights on teh ledge above the license plate.

Congratulations. The day is approaching...

I second this. If anyone could provide this camera info, I really appreciate.

Old 12-23-2004, 04:59 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I have 2 new pioneer avc-rgb1 boxes with warranty that can convert stock screen to play dvd's.. if anyone is interested
Old 12-27-2004, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Is there anywhere to get the Navi-Dvd conversion done in Phoenix?
Old 12-27-2004, 12:20 PM
tkx
05.TL.WDP.DYN.NAVI

Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
I have 2 new pioneer avc-rgb1 boxes with warranty that can convert stock screen to play dvd's.. if anyone is interested

How much?.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:25 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by tkx
How much?.
$150 ... shipping not included and it's NEW with 1 year warranty.

I'm in Dallas, TX if you want to pick it up instead of paying shipping.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:47 AM
3rd Gear

just wondering if there is anyone in Northern Jersey or Connecticut that can do this conversion so I would be able to watch dvd's on my navi...please let me know thanks
Old 03-22-2007, 04:37 PM
'06 AM A-SPEC TL w/NAV

Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
$150 ... shipping not included and it's NEW with 1 year warranty.

I'm in Dallas, TX if you want to pick it up instead of paying shipping.
I'm in Plano if you still have them I don't mind picking one up
Old 08-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Banned

wow...2 years later.......
Old 03-13-2009, 02:06 AM
2nd Gear

Exclamation

wondering i see this is an old thread but wondering i just bought my 05 tl and want to do a conversion. having some clue of the work involved any pointers? thinking of using my exteral dvd player from my pc. i can convert the power and controls to play from inside the car but not sure on the video aspect of it. any help would be greatfull
Old 03-13-2009, 10:21 AM
Safety Car

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm3486
wondering i see this is an old thread but wondering i just bought my 05 tl and want to do a conversion. having some clue of the work involved any pointers? thinking of using my exteral dvd player from my pc. i can convert the power and controls to play from inside the car but not sure on the video aspect of it. any help would be greatfull
yea, this thread is kinda old, maybe something here will help you

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/3g-tl-audio-electronics-faq-605299/
Old 09-03-2009, 05:11 AM
Banned

I haven't looked in a while, but it'll be hard because they are discontinued

I don't think anyone has posted pics of the installation procedure yet.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:27 PM
5th Gear

any pictures?