TL/TLX Frequently Asked Questions No New Threads Please.

Navi to video

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2002, 01:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any pics on this new route?
Old 01-19-2002, 03:16 PM
Pro

Originally posted by StanMan
you see the big loop of red wire...the far left side is the ground point. well, if you follow the circuit track down and to the right, you should soon figure out that strip is all ground...so YEE took the shorter route. as you can see, both ways work. dragon probably chose that spot because it said GND...much easier to identify.
ohh I see..... thanks stan~
(haha..look my avatar is stan)

so both ways will work?
Old 01-19-2002, 03:38 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by VeiLsTyleZ

ohh I see..... thanks stan~
(haha..look my avatar is stan)

so both ways will work?
yup, it's fate!!!

i will assume so since YEE did say in one of the above posts that the mod works. the ground circuit seems isolated from other copper tracks so any existing solder points is doable.
Old 01-19-2002, 07:49 PM
Race Director

Re: Thanks Steve!!!!

Originally posted by bl^5
Steve hooked me up with the original kit as well. It works beautifully!

For audio you DO NOT NEED an aftermarket radio with inputs. There are about three ways to do the audio and get good results.

1. Just get the sony switch (sony xa-39) from crutchfield. The switch goes between the factory headunit and the factory amp. Do a search for it at the streeteffectz forum to see the other happy users of it.

2. Audio Control 4.1 - This works the same way as the sony switch, only it is a million times better. It has two source switiching capabilities and it will also give you EQ capabilities. The only downside is finding a place to put it since it is just like an EQ. If someone here finds a spot please tell me!

3. Use 2 4pdt switches. This option is the cheapest and if you are doing the navi install with one you should understand how to hook it up and make it work.

PLEASE DO NOT USE AN FM MODULATOR THEY ARE F*CKING HORRIBLE AND WILL GIVE YOU BAD SOUND QUALITY DEFEATING THE PURPOSE OF HAVING A DVD.

Make sure you use a dvd player with a HEADPHONE OUTPUT as, it will give you volume control. The headphone output will match the output from the headunit which is crucial to making this work. Do not get the APEX unit from Best Buy, trust me it won't work audio wise.

A great DVD player is the panasonic PV-40. It is the same size as a cd player and will fit in the center console.
You're probably right. Perhaps in my next vehicle I can accomplish the setup in this manner. In my present vehicle I have the FM Modulator. I have to disagree with only that part of your statement. The sound is far from horrible. Horrible would be not enough bass, no treble, static, and even at max volume you can't hear it if you're driving. That's just simply not true. It's not perfect and it might not sound like Surround Sound but it's still pretty good. And I'm not that old (not yet 40). Anyway if you don't believe me, I can have some our your "honest" TL member who leave here in KC listen to it and tell you what they think. Again I'm not trying to compare but I don't want your statement to rule out a valuable option/choice for some who want to go this route. On a scale of 1-10 (best), the RF modulator to me is about a 6.
Old 01-20-2002, 07:28 PM
Pro

one more question~

on the back of the board(pic above)...do you see that green wire?

does it come like that..because i dont see any instrutions on soldering that wire
Old 01-20-2002, 09:35 PM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
But a 6 is failing!

Originally posted by kensteele

You're probably right. Perhaps in my next vehicle I can accomplish the setup in this manner. In my present vehicle I have the FM Modulator. I have to disagree with only that part of your statement. The sound is far from horrible. Horrible would be not enough bass, no treble, static, and even at max volume you can't hear it if you're driving. That's just simply not true. It's not perfect and it might not sound like Surround Sound but it's still pretty good. And I'm not that old (not yet 40). Anyway if you don't believe me, I can have some our your "honest" TL member who leave here in KC listen to it and tell you what they think. Again I'm not trying to compare but I don't want your statement to rule out a valuable option/choice for some who want to go this route. On a scale of 1-10 (best), the RF modulator to me is about a 6.

Well I guess you kinda proved my agrument giving it a rating of 6. On a scale of 1-10 that is still failing. I guess I didn't mention in my previous post that I orginally had an FM Modulator, so I have experienced from both worlds. The cost diffence between the sony switch and the modulator is very like $10, and the sound difference is just incredible. I just can't see the FM modulator being a valuable option choice for anyone.
Old 01-20-2002, 11:55 PM
Drifting

Re: one more question~

on the back of the board(pic above)...do you see that green wire?

does it come like that..because i dont see any instrutions on soldering that wire
on the avc unit, the green wire is presoldered from the factory...
Old 01-21-2002, 04:11 AM
Burning Brakes

If I use a FM modulator, the radio volume control can be used to regulate the volume of the aftermarket device. I don't know if the vol. control would work for the sony switch??? Anyone know?

If the volume control would work on both, then I guess the Sony switch really is a better choice.
Old 01-21-2002, 08:08 AM

Nope...

Originally posted by bebber
If I use a FM modulator, the radio volume control can be used to regulate the volume of the aftermarket device. I don't know if the vol. control would work for the sony switch??? Anyone know?

If the volume control would work on both, then I guess the Sony switch really is a better choice.
None of the controls from the headunit will work when your listening to the dvd player. Thats why you have to have a DVD player with a headphone output (volume control).
Old 01-21-2002, 01:00 PM
Pro

Re: Re: one more question~

Originally posted by StanMan

on the avc unit, the green wire is presoldered from the factory...
oh okay....hey thanks man~~

Old 01-22-2002, 12:01 AM
Drifting

this post was EDITED 1/22/02

let me say it now...BEBBER is the man!!!

- pins 5,6,7,8 are normally connected to pins 9,10,11,12
- pins 9,10,11,12 switches contact to pins 1,2,3,4 when terminals 13 and 14 complete a circuit. one terminal is grounded, another terminal gets switched power.

anyways, thanks goes out to josh!
Old 01-22-2002, 10:38 PM
Pro

i still dont understand how do wire the relay...can somebody explain how do wire the whole relay part including the switch....please im going to do this mod next week.

THANKS
Old 01-22-2002, 11:24 PM
Banned

Can somebody scan the page out of the helms manual for the navigation 99 or 00 dont matter. Thanx
Old 01-23-2002, 05:41 PM
Race Director

Re: Nope...

Originally posted by bl^5

None of the controls from the headunit will work when your listening to the dvd player. Thats why you have to have a DVD player with a headphone output (volume control).
Then you must not have had the RF modulator because when playing movies on my DVD install, I use the steering wheel controls to turn the movie volume up and down.

The Sony might have better audio quality and only a few bucks more, but I think it might be difficult to install by the layperson. Can someone point out the Sony switch install instructions to help with all the questions? Thanks.
Old 01-23-2002, 06:28 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
ATTENTION ALL

here is the instructions that i made.. they are in so much detail too, along with pictures off ALL hardware that you need.

check it out

http://www.angelfire.com/super/types...onversion.html
Old 01-23-2002, 09:10 PM

Re: Re: Nope...

Originally posted by kensteele

Then you must not have had the RF modulator because when playing movies on my DVD install, I use the steering wheel controls to turn the movie volume up and down.

The Sony might have better audio quality and only a few bucks more, but I think it might be difficult to install by the layperson. Can someone point out the Sony switch install instructions to help with all the questions? Thanks.
Beleive me I am a layperson and I was able to do it. You should probably set aside a Saturday and start early to finish everything.

The sony switch accepts 2 sets of 4 inputs. You will have to splice the wires between the headunit and the factory amp (8 wires, positives and negatives for: right-front, right-rear, left-front, left-rear ). See the helms manual for wiring diagram. Now you have to connect rca plugs onto the wires (positive and negative to each rca). Repeat this for the wires going to the factory amp. These RCA plugs will go into the sony switch.

Now run a set of rca's from the exta input to the front of the car. You will need to get a y adapter to plug the 2 rca's into the 4 inputs on the sony switch.

Then you have a run the switch wire to the front of the car and power up the switch.

If you can hook up a home theater system you can do this. The hardest part is attaching the rca cables.

Check this thread for a picture of my install.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=29995
Old 01-24-2002, 12:23 AM
Burning Brakes

i still dont understand how do wire the relay...can somebody explain how do wire the whole relay part including the switch....please im going to do this mod next week.

THANKS
No worries Simon,

I'll give you a hand sometime next week.

-JP
Old 01-24-2002, 12:28 PM
Pro

Originally posted by bebber

No worries Simon,

I'll give you a hand sometime next week.

-JP

WOO HOOO~~

THANKS
Old 01-24-2002, 03:03 PM
Banned

Guys, I got a 99 Navigation screen, hardrive, and Navigation dash peice.I know I will have to re route my A/C panel somewhere. I dont think I want to install the Navi Hardrive because my car is 2000 non navigation and it will require much more skill than I have. All I want to do for now is install the moniter, sony switch, dash panel, relocate the A/C and playstation 2. I have the wires for the screen. I need some help on how I would attempt this install. Any advice would be greatfully appretiated. Thanx
Old 01-24-2002, 04:39 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Asif2002
Guys, I got a 99 Navigation screen, hardrive, and Navigation dash peice.I know I will have to re route my A/C panel somewhere. I dont think I want to install the Navi Hardrive because my car is 2000 non navigation and it will require much more skill than I have. All I want to do for now is install the moniter, sony switch, dash panel, relocate the A/C and playstation 2. I have the wires for the screen. I need some help on how I would attempt this install. Any advice would be greatfully appretiated. Thanx
first off, get a manual that shows you how to strip down the dash though i am not sure if these are available yet. if you know the part number, then let us know because i would like to get one too. here is a hunch, i know honda and acura are probably the best maker to typify modular car technology. do you think that if you also got the navi a/c control panel, you can just plug them in and make everything work like a factory spec navi car? it might be just a matter for plugging in the connectors to the appropriate parts...but all the connectors in the non navi car is the same as the navi car.
Old 01-24-2002, 07:47 PM
Race Director

Ok, I checked out all of the instructions and the pics in this thread. Thanks for posting, appreciated.

I'll have to do this on my next vehicle because I don't have access to the DVD player's external audio mic.
Old 01-30-2002, 03:15 AM
yee
Burning Brakes

HEY! Fellows...

long time no see...

just an update! My DVD mod is working great!

I've had everything worked up since I've been back.
I'll post more pictures soon.
Old 01-31-2002, 02:31 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Install my navi2dvd last weekend. I followed the directions posted by both stevestms and yee. The hardest part was putting in the FM modulator (found easier route) and wiring through the backseats.

After I installed the antenna connector for the FM modulator, I noticed that it was on the driver side and probably didn't have to remove the radio out to reach it. Oh well.

I will post pictures when i get a chance. Total install time was probably 1 hours. had all the parts and switches preassembled.
Old 01-31-2002, 03:24 AM
Pro

Install my navi2dvd last weekend. I followed the directions posted by both stevestms and yee. The hardest part was putting in the FM modulator (found easier route) and wiring through the backseats.
sounds good.
so wat did you use...4pdt switch or relay? if you used the relay, where did you mount or did you just leave it hanging?
oh..where did you get the FM modulator? how much?

thanks
Old 01-31-2002, 06:24 AM
Burning Brakes

It's 4:26AM and it works beautifully! Success is sweet, especially when it comes with a little bit of sweat.
Old 01-31-2002, 03:34 PM
Banned

Any new pics of installs yet?
Old 02-01-2002, 08:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Lightbulb Help. wires

Ok my video navi has been up and running for two days now. I'm a happy camper.

I plan on routing a power wire, switched with accessory, from a fuse box to the trunk to provide power for my VCR or whatever else I eventually put in there. I know there is one such connection at the dvd navi unit, but I don't want to risk overloading it. Does anyone know what wire I should tap in at the fuse box? I want the power wire to come on whenever the ignition key is in the "acc" or "on" position, kinda like the cigarette lighter sockets do. If I'm desperate, I could just tape the cig lighter sockets, but I'm hoping there's something more convenient.

Also, I noticed that the navi screen powers down when left unused for a certain amount of time whenever the engine is off. This is a bummer for us video on navi users. There is a wire going to the navi unit that's an engine signal, I plan on using this to keep the unit from shutting off automatically. This way, I could enjoy watching movies even with the engine off.
My guess is that either a +12V or a GND signal sent to this wire whenever my dash mounted Video selector switch is active is what I will need. I haven't examined it yet, but will do so next week. I'll keep you posted.
Old 02-01-2002, 09:40 PM
Pro

Also, I noticed that the navi screen powers down when left unused for a certain amount of time whenever the engine is off. This is a bummer for us video on navi users. There is a wire going to the navi unit that's an engine signal, I plan on using this to keep the unit from shutting off automatically. This way, I could enjoy watching movies even with the engine off.
hey josh...
to keep the navi from shutting off when the engines off...you go to diagnosis mode on the navi.....you press and hold menu, map/guide, and cancel (in that order) button then switch back to video.
anyways..im just about done with mine..i just need to spice it to the navi unit. okay laters~
Old 02-02-2002, 07:51 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sounds good.
so wat did you use...4pdt switch or relay? if you used the relay, where did you mount or did you just leave it hanging?
oh..where did you get the FM modulator? how much?

thanks

veilstyle

I use a 4pdt relay and mounted it in the trunk. The power switch for the relay was located in the blank buttom next to the gauge light dimmer. (1 wire to route to the rear) I tapped into the hotwire for the cigarette lighter.

FM modulator at fry's electronics in anaheim ($39) a MA brand.
Old 02-02-2002, 08:57 PM
Pro

it works

I did it~~
everything works.......i used a relay.....and everything works perfectly......WOO HOooo
i also added a kill switch in the trunk next to the decoder...so when my dad or sevice guys at acura drives my car, the switch in the front wont work.

I just want to say thanks to steve( the creator) and typesdragon their instructions....bebber(josh) for helping me out with the parts and working the relay.....bigmonkey for his help... systek for his pics....my friend Brian for soldering the decoder for me...finaly the people on this forum for the tips~~

sorry no pics...no digital cam~

thescoundrel

thanks....i did the same thing
i just zip tied the relay to the factory navi wires behind the navi unit. its nice and clean...the decoder i mounted behind the navi unit too...so its hidden.
Old 02-02-2002, 10:26 PM
Banned

Hey systec can you post some pics?
Old 02-02-2002, 10:40 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Asif2002
Hey systec can you post some pics?
systek's pics
Old 02-02-2002, 11:34 PM
Banned

Thanx man
Old 02-13-2002, 07:40 PM
Instructor

Anyone is the Socal area want to do this for me? I'll pay
Old 02-14-2002, 02:09 AM
Instructor

It's great to see you guys doing this modification. I'm glad your having a sense of accomplishment too. My original instructions didn't include pictures and it's interesting to see how each of you have completed this mod. Congrats!
Old 02-15-2002, 02:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

i just finished most of the difficult part and im such a perfectionest and so its done and looks hella clean...and i just wanted to show off some pics

notice how the copper leads inside the relay is painted RED, GREEN, BLUE, and WHITE (heheh too much time on my hands) also notice how i re wired the inline resistor closer to the box so that when i splice it to the accessories i dont need to have extra slack

I tried to minimise as much wires as i could im hoping all i have to do now is get the female connectors and connect it from the navi line..and just slide it in and then mount the unit

the relay is glued on to the rgb converter...and yes i did use a smaller base so the relay is replaceable!!!
Old 02-15-2002, 02:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

pic with the relay off the base

look at the pretty colors...RGB and white!!!!

what do you guys think?!!?!
Old 02-15-2002, 02:48 AM
Pro

what do you guys think?!!?!
asiankidd
dude that looks hella dope~
man..i should have waited...all these new ideas~~

hey..where are you gonna mount the decoder?

heres a pic of mine playing tekken....thanks to stan for the pic
Old 02-15-2002, 02:51 AM
Pro

I have one question tho...whats the other video out(rca) plug for?
Old 02-15-2002, 03:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

thanks...the other video out is if you needed to loop the signal like adding 2 screens that used 2 rgb decoders...that way the signal would be strong get it?

Quick Reply: Navi to video