TL/TLX Frequently Asked Questions No New Threads Please.

Memory Seat Issue Fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 11:57 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: seat memory fix

Originally posted by west403
there is now a new bulletin for repairing the seat memory, they have finally released a control module, call your dealer if you are having this problem bul 04-005
Hello, and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for posting this information. I have taken a previous thread of the same nature and will sticky it for a little while. I will merge this and a few others into it so that everyone will have the useful information available on the first page.

On a personal note, I will be asking my dealer to make an appointment for me to resolve this problem with my TL as well.

Old 03-03-2004, 12:00 PM
Banned

Originally posted by marquis
Just trying to communicate what I heard. I took a look at the topics on the first page of the forum before posting, figuring it would be a topic of hot discussion but I guess I either didn't see it or it's not on the first page.

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers.
Thanks for posting this information. I have taken a previous thread of the same nature and will sticky it for a little while. I will merge this and a few others into it so that everyone will have the useful information available on the first page.

Old 03-03-2004, 02:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dumb question alert.

What does TSB stand for?

I assume it stands for "Technical Service Bulletin".

If I am going to go to the dealer with this number, I'd like to sound like I know what I am talking about.

Thanks,
Old 03-03-2004, 02:30 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Yep, that's what it stands for. Let us know what your dealer says. Oh, and do me a favor and find out if it affects ALL cars or just cars up to a certain VIN.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:40 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: seat memory fix

Originally posted by west403
there is now a new bulletin for repairing the seat memory, they have finally released a control module, call your dealer if you are having this problem bul 04-005

Yes, I confirm this one.

Seat Memory.

TSB# 04-005

No Tires...
Old 03-03-2004, 02:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Lore
Yep, that's what it stands for. Let us know what your dealer says. Oh, and do me a favor and find out if it affects ALL cars or just cars up to a certain VIN.
According to Chris at Oxmoor Acura the VIN range is 1 - 18476. He has to order the parts once he confirms my VIN. I am at work and cannot provide my VIN until after I leave. My car was built in the first week of December. I suspect that I am in that range.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by dcarlinf1
According to Chris at Oxmoor Acura the VIN range is 1 - 18476. He has to order the parts once he confirms my VIN. I am at work and cannot provide my VIN until after I leave. My car was built in the first week of December. I suspect that I am in that range.

You can just tell them the Vin and get the replacement ordered? Wah so great...

My stupid dealer said I have to drop the car for their diagnosis, then they will make an order, which probably takes 7 business days for delivery.

I believe my car won't have the well-working Seat Memory unitl April.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by rets
You can just tell them the Vin and get the replacement ordered?
I told him I had a problem with the memory seats and I understand there is now a service bulletin. He said that he had over heard others discussing it. He then asked when I wanted to bring it in. I asked if the parts were available since the bulletin is so new. He put me on hold. He came back with the bulletin in his hand and said that he needed to know the VIN to order the part(s). I told him I'd have to call him back with the VIN and asked the VIN range. He said he would be there til 6pm and the range was 1-18476. That's all I know right now.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:11 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Well, that might explain why my car doesn't seem to exhibit the seat memory problem -- my VIN is in the 21xxx range.

Thanks for the information dcarlinf1 -- that was very helpful! Maybe someone can post the VIN range on the first post.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:37 PM
R&D of Team Anthracite

i know this is old news but i just got a call from my service manager, he says there is a fix for the memory seat loss, some modules is on order and will be here when i get my tires also..so finally acura is doing the right thing. I also have to give credits to this forum
Old 03-03-2004, 03:41 PM
10th Gear

looks like that control unit just went on back order with no release date at this time. I got one in then the next one I ordered is unavailable. I will post when they are once again avaliable
Old 03-03-2004, 04:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Lore, I am in the range, but just barely....182XX. If I had waited one more week to buy my TL I probably wouldn't have this problem My parts are on order now (or maybe on backorder).
Old 03-03-2004, 04:48 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
Angry My update on 'Seat Memory Loss'

hey guys, I dropped in my car today around 11am for 'seat memory loss' and now I called to check on it, the guys said there is no fix for it yet but Acura is aware of it and they're working on it. So I told him that last week when I called for this problem, the guy told me that they have controller and worked on few other TLs, so thats why I had scheduled the appointment...

So now he's going to check again and call me back...........
Old 03-03-2004, 04:50 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I told him I had a problem with the memory seats and I understand there is now a service bulletin. He said that he had over heard others discussing it. He then asked when I wanted to bring it in. I asked if the parts were available since the bulletin is so new. He put me on hold. He came back with the bulletin in his hand and said that he needed to know the VIN to order the part(s). I told him I'd have to call him back with the VIN and asked the VIN range. He said he would be there til 6pm and the range was 1-18476. That's all I know right now.

Thanks. I hope my stupid dealer does the same thing to me. It's good to know the range of Vins.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:06 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

My update on 'Seat Memory Loss'

hey guys, I dropped in my car today around 11am for 'seat memory loss' and now I called to check on it, the guys said there is no fix for it yet but Acura is aware of it and they're working on it. So I told him that last week when I called for this problem, the guy told me that they have controller and worked on few other TLs, so thats why I had scheduled the appointment...

So now he's going to check again and call me back...........

OK I just got call from the dealer again, I even gave him the TSB # and he denied it, he said there is no fix yet and as soon as its avalible, they'll contact me... and plus he goes "I dont know where you are getting your information from"
Old 03-03-2004, 05:59 PM
DNA
Instructor

I just called Hopkins Acura's Service in Redwood City and they told me two things:

1) There is no TSB #04-005
2) I was supposed to bring my car in at 3700 miles. (I have about 7100 miles and the 1st service message just came on.)

When I protested, I was switched to someone else who told me the same thing. They asked, "where did you get that TSB info, on the Web?" I said yes and they told me, "You can't believe anything you read on the Web."

-David
Old 03-03-2004, 06:09 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

DNA:

1) Call ACS and verify that a TSB 04-005 exists. Inform them that the dealer wouldn't fix the problem because they do not have a TSB handy.
2) Call their sister dealership Sunnyvale Acura and inquire about TSB 04-005.
3) Never tell them you read it on the web. I know of several service departments that become very reluctant to work on something on your car if you say "Oh, I read about it on the web because many other people have the problem"
Old 03-03-2004, 07:01 PM
Instructor

DNA:

3) Never tell them you read it on the web. I know of several service departments that become very reluctant to work on something on your car if you say "Oh, I read about it on the web because many other people have the problem"

THIS IS VERY TRUE !!!!

I think Acura Corporate is telling dealers en masse to respond to statements such as "I read it on the web/TL forum" with "You can't always believe what you read on the web."

They are ALL saying this!!!
Old 03-03-2004, 08:25 PM
Advanced

Just got my call today from my Service Rep (Nashville)....the memory fix is in and I have an appointment on Monday (3/8).
Old 03-03-2004, 08:39 PM
Racer

My VIN is 26XXX and having seat memory problem too. My service manager called me today because I report 2 issues while taking Honda owner survey, memory seat is one of them. She told me that she has not heard anything about the seat memory lost in their records. By the way, another problem I report on the survey is I am having trouble on close the glove box compartment door. I have to push the door very hard to close it.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by TZVECL

THIS IS VERY TRUE !!!!

I think Acura Corporate is telling dealers en masse to respond to statements such as "I read it on the web/TL forum" with "You can't always believe what you read on the web."

They are ALL saying this!!!

Right. My stupid dealer is pissed off by the whole bunch of customers saying so. He always confirms we're talking issues our cars have, not from Internet.

But think of this. How many 04TLers in our forum? Less than 300? It's only 1% of owners. If I can make the poll, I'll try to collect some closed numbers of how many 04TLers are in this site.

If it's really 1%, it's hard to believe what ppl say here...

Old 03-04-2004, 12:28 PM
Burning Brakes

I disagree with you guys. The internet is the BEST source of information and the service department should recognize that. They just don't like it because they can't bullshlt us as much.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:32 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

^True
Old 03-04-2004, 12:40 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I disagree with you guys. The internet is the BEST source of information and the service department should recognize that. They just don't like it because they can't bullshlt us as much.
I'm not saying that the Internet is not a great source if information. I found out _everything_ about my TL through the Internet and the contacts I've made through this forum.

I'm just saying that depending on your service department, it may be wise to withhold that you found out about this issue from the Internet UNTIL they agree to service your vehicle. Just say you talked to ACS and they gave you the information or something -- they can't argue with that!

The service department folks are proud, and they don't want to accept that many people on the Internet know more about the problems than they do. They want to be the utmost authority on your Acura, and it's just too bad that they cannot accept the Internet's power for what it is. But if you want them to fix your car, you may have to humor them...
Old 03-04-2004, 12:44 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
if it were not for Acura-TL.com (and vtec.net), I would have never purchased my TL.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:47 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm not saying that the Internet is not a great source if information. I found out _everything_ about my TL through the Internet and the contacts I've made through this forum.

I'm just saying that depending on your service department, it may be wise to withhold that you found out about this issue from the Internet UNTIL they agree to service your vehicle. Just say you talked to ACS and they gave you the information or something -- they can't argue with that!

The service department folks are proud, and they don't want to accept that many people on the Internet know more about the problems than they do. They want to be the utmost authority on your Acura, and it's just too bad that they cannot accept the Internet's power for what it is. But if you want them to fix your car, you may have to humor them...
I understand what your saying. No need to ruffle the service guys feathers unnecessarily. I just don't think that the advice of "never say you heard on the internet" is the best approach. It depends on the situation. If you can leave it unsaid, fine. But, if they are bs'ing you and you know it from you've read here, I say call their bluff and play the internet card. When the times is right
Old 03-04-2004, 01:37 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I understand what your saying. No need to ruffle the service guys feathers unnecessarily. I just don't think that the advice of "never say you heard on the internet" is the best approach. It depends on the situation. If you can leave it unsaid, fine. But, if they are bs'ing you and you know it from you've read here, I say call their bluff and play the internet card. When the times is right

If my stupid dealer is hating these BS information, would you mind telling me what is the best way to deal with them and this would not jeopardize to get warranty services from them in the future?

For example, I know my "check-engine-light" issue since October, and got the confirmations from the Internet. Some ppl who had their dealers fixed told me the useful information with their phone numbers of dealer/manager. If my dealer had problems, they could call them.

In the end of Nov, I went to see my dealer, they refused to call Acura Headquarters or those numbers in order to figure out what's going on. They just said to me that is NORMAL. I asked to use their office Internet to check the website, they refused...

A week later, I started to call them every other day. After a few days, they called me back Acura sent them the service advisory info and they knew how to fix it now... they never said SORRY...

What could I do....?
Old 03-04-2004, 02:41 PM
Intermediate

I have just confirmed with my delaer that the fix exists and they have placed the order for the new module which should arrive next week.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:24 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Why I'm the only one having the different treatment?

My stupid dealer asked me to make an appointment and drive in for their inspection and diagnosis. If they prove my 04TL really having problems, they then will order my modeule for me, it takes another 7-10 business days.

Why cannot they just check my VIN and provide me the new one?
Old 03-04-2004, 05:01 PM
Instructor

I called my dealer...they took my word for and put the module on order
Old 03-04-2004, 05:30 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

My stupid dealer asked me to make an appointment and drive in for their inspection and diagnosis. If they prove my 04TL really having problems, they then will order my modeule for me, it takes another 7-10 business days.

Based on this and your other posts about your service experiences, I don't understand why you keep going back to the same service department. Just go to a different service department in NY -- from the list of dealers that I see, NY Metro seems to have plenty of dealers to choose from. I'm sure there's a better dealer out there who will be happy to provide you the warranty service that your car needs!
Old 03-04-2004, 06:58 PM
Racer

Amen! Speak with you wallet my friend. Take your business elsewhere and write to the serivce manager at your old dealer and tell them what you are doing and why. Leave no detail untouched.

I had a horrible initial experience with the servce department where I purchased my TL from and did just that. I emailed the service manager and let him have it. Told him that becuse of it all I was taking my future serivce business to another dealer. He wrote back a few days later and was very apologetic. Started bending over backwards to help me out and resolve the issues I had. I'm now willing to give them as second chance.

Of course now that we've seemingly worked things out, I'll be sending a letter to the general manager at the dealership giving the service manager judos for working the whole thing out. All this srot of stuff goes a long way to establishing a good working relationship.

Based on this and your other posts about your service experiences, I don't understand why you keep going back to the same service department. Just go to a different service department in NY -- from the list of dealers that I see, NY Metro seems to have plenty of dealers to choose from. I'm sure there's a better dealer out there who will be happy to provide you the warranty service that your car needs!
Old 03-04-2004, 08:11 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Well. Lore, marquis, thanks for the comments. I have letter ready and it will be sent to their GM after my next appointment.

It's kind of hard to get better dealer although many of them are around where I'm.

Let's talk back to Memory Seat stuff. I'll remember you guys' suggestions. Thanks a lot.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:40 PM
Pro

This is really true....

But do these dealers realize.....

If we didn't have an internet to talk about problems like the memory issue, we would ALL be calling them asking what is wrong...

I did not ask about a fix because there wasn't one... Now I will.. because of what you guys are saying.

FYI - I received TWO calls from American Honda about my wheel pulling issue and if it is fixed.. I asked the lady who called, who let her phone # an extension, about the seat memory issue and she said it does exist and she will call me for a fix..

I am sure she will even set up an appt to have it fixed with the dealer.

I am pleased with this kind of treatment.... My last car (GM)..l ugh... if I needed a part, I had to physically go to the dealership to give them my credit card before they would even order it..

Big difference...

The internet rocks
Old 03-04-2004, 11:47 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

My dealer is telling me that "They are on back order. They had the old ones stocked and are having them removed from inventory. There haven't been any new ones made available yet". This seems to be wrong if others on here have already recieved the new module. I understand the backorder and that some of you guys are having someone "place the part on order" for you. Are you saying that your service writter is "placing the part on order" or are you having to do this yourselves through the parts department? My service writter is telling me that I can't open a SO for it. They can't place me in any queue and that I should "check back in a month or two" and the part should become available sometime in between now and then. WTF? If this thing is a in-demand as I expect, it means that there are 18,000 of cars waiting for them. I don't want to be number 17,999 to have mine fixed 6 months down the road. I want on that list TODAY so that I can have it replaced 2 months down the road.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:49 PM
Banned

Just another post to confirm that the TSB is for real, and the modules are available if your dealer can get one. I have one reserved and will be having it installed as soon as I have time to get the car in.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:53 PM
Racer

I was in to get my first oil change this morning and spoke to the service manager about the "Seat Memory" issue. They checked the car and told me that Acura has issued a TSB for this and new part will be ordered to fix the problem.

Old 03-06-2004, 01:06 AM
Andrenaline Junkie

Don't sweat it. I brought mine in for the tire problem acting very ignorant like I didn't know what it was, just a vibration, and the service guy acted totally suprised, like I was the first guy to ever experience this. He wanted me to bring it in and leave it over night so they could verify what it was doing because I said it was worse in the morning when it was cold. He continued to ask me questions about the road where I was driving, speed, transmission, etc. and about 5 minutes into the conversation the words "flat spotting" came out of his mouth so I know he had been BSing me for 10 minutes.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:04 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Swat Dude
Don't sweat it. I brought mine in for the tire problem acting very ignorant like I didn't know what it was, just a vibration, and the service guy acted totally suprised, like I was the first guy to ever experience this. He wanted me to bring it in and leave it over night so they could verify what it was doing because I said it was worse in the morning when it was cold. He continued to ask me questions about the road where I was driving, speed, transmission, etc. and about 5 minutes into the conversation the words "flat spotting" came out of his mouth so I know he had been BSing me for 10 minutes.

Hopefully, next Friday my stupid dealer can quickly identify my Memory Seat issue without BSing me for this long and immediately order the modeule for me. Otherwise, my letter to their GM will add up one more count of dissatifaction.
Old 03-06-2004, 01:01 PM
Burning Brakes

My Dealer Called To Tell Me My Memory Seat Module Is Ready

I'm very happy. This has been bugging me for four months. Its about time.

Quick Reply: Memory Seat Issue Fixed!