TL/TLX Frequently Asked Questions No New Threads Please.

Have you found any New Features?? 3G Garage #L-001 (Summary in Post#1)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 02:02 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: True or Not True

Originally posted by mattlana
I was speaking to a friend last night who has an '03 TL that he loves. We were talking about how many electronic advancements Acura incorporates and some great features. We got onto how sometimes it is difficult to parallel park and he suddenly smiled. He said that when he backs up the passenger side mirror points downward so he can see how far away from the curb he is. Sounded great! But then I wondered if he was pulling my leg or if it is really true. Can anyone help?
Actually in the 04 TL, you can choose which mirror to point downward in reverse by using the mirror adjustment selector switch on the dash.
Old 12-16-2003, 02:03 PM
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I was speaking to a friend last night who has an '03 TL that he loves. We were talking about how many electronic advancements Acura incorporates and some great features. We got onto how sometimes it is difficult to parallel park and he suddenly smiled. He said that when he backs up the passenger side mirror points downward so he can see how far away from the curb he is. Sounded great! But then I wondered if he was pulling my leg or if it is really true. Can anyone help?
Yeah, your 04 has it.
If the mirror adjustment switch is to the right, then the passenger mirror will flip down when you put the car in reverse.
If the mirror adjustment switch is to the left, then the driver mirror will flip down when you put the car in reverse.
If the mirror adjustment switch is in the middle, then nothing happens to the mirrors when you put it in reverse.
Old 12-16-2003, 02:25 PM
Instructor

Yep, it does work on the TL. If you leave the mirror adjust indicator button set on R the right mirror will dip when the car is put into reverse. Do the same with L button and the left mirror will dip.

Oops, looks like Nick beat me to the punch.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:26 PM
Advanced

It's true for the '04. Don't know about the '03. Is your friend not trustworthy?

In the '04 you can choose which mirror tilts down by leaving the mirror selector (for adjusting the mirror) in the left or right position, rather than dead center.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:42 PM
Banned

Can't let this one fall too far off the front page.
Old 12-18-2003, 04:07 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found out that if you click the LOCK button twice the car BEEPS to let you know all doors are locked and the car is secure.

However I JUST found out that if the trunk is opened you will NOT get that confirmation beep (even though you can still lock the doors).

Mike

PS - Anyone have trouble using the key lock on the trunk to open it? I can't see the key hole too clearly even.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:03 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by MikeRadio
PS - Anyone have trouble using the key lock on the trunk to open it? I can't see the key hole too clearly even.
Are you being funny? What key lock?
Old 12-18-2003, 07:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I found out that if you click the LOCK button twice the car BEEPS to let you know all doors are locked and the car is secure.

However I JUST found out that if the trunk is opened you will NOT get that confirmation beep (even though you can still lock the doors).

Mike

The remote did the same with my previous TL and it's a useful reminder--if there's no beep, the trunk or one of the doors is slightly ajar. And there is no key lock on the trunk, I don't understand what you mean.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:30 AM
Chief TL Aviator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Chitown-TL
Are you being funny? What key lock?
He must have drilled it himself! Picture please ....
Old 12-18-2003, 09:51 AM
Advanced

I noticed two things this morning. In filling the tank for the first time (got 18 MPG on the first tank with avg speed of 22 MPH --lots of city driving ), the trip computer does not reset itself automatically with new MPG, Avg speed, etc. In the manual it says to hit the reset button on the MID. (Is there an automatic reset somewhere??). Also notice a phone icon on the upper display which (I also read in the manual) means that a BT phone has been activated in the car. Never noticed that before. Its a good reminder to activate your cell phone to BLuetooth mode in case you forget.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:56 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

The manual says that on the 6MT you must have the emergency brake on to set (record) or apply the seat memory.

On my 6MT I can set or apply the seat memory while driving.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:07 AM
Pro

Originally posted by gotsand?
I noticed two things this morning. In filling the tank for the first time (got 18 MPG on the first tank with avg speed of 22 MPH --lots of city driving ), the trip computer does not reset itself automatically with new MPG, Avg speed, etc. In the manual it says to hit the reset button on the MID. (Is there an automatic reset somewhere??). Also notice a phone icon on the upper display which (I also read in the manual) means that a BT phone has been activated in the car. Never noticed that before. Its a good reminder to activate your cell phone to BLuetooth mode in case you forget.

The button is the select / reset button. You have to hold it down for a few seconds to reset the computer. I am still waiting to do it the first time myself!! Only have 125 miles so far...
Old 12-18-2003, 10:23 AM
Banned

Yeah, me to
Old 12-18-2003, 10:34 AM
6th Gear

Unrelated question (sorry!)

There are two commands I really wish existed, anyone know if they're in there somewhere?

1. A voice command (on NAVI systems) to show the audio screen? Saying DISPLAY MAP switches you to the map screen, but you have to push the audio button to go back.

2. Is there a way to turn the screen off? Again, on NAVI systems if you don't acknowledge the disclaimer the screen goes dark, and sometimes it's nice to have it off. Is there any way to turn it off if you do acknowledge the disclaimer?
Old 12-18-2003, 10:41 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
TLcrazy,

1. Voice "cancel" or "back" to return the previous screen. Sorry... no help...

2. SETUP screen #1, OFF display.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:05 AM
Pro

Originally posted by RavenHwk
He must have drilled it himself! Picture please ....
No Wonder I can't see it... OK I won't get those new glasses!

Why do they even still put a key lock in the drivers side anymore.. how often do people use KEYS anymore!
Old 12-18-2003, 11:58 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Why do they even still put a key lock in the drivers side anymore.. how often do people use KEYS anymore!
For example, my valet lizards still need the hole to put their valet key... I cannot find the battery shops in 100 miles range...
Old 12-23-2003, 07:48 PM
Chief TL Aviator

Found one.

I noticed tonight when the button on the drivers side door that turns on/off the passengers ability to operate the windows is pressed while the lights of the car are turned on ....

Then the car turns off the lights illumininating the window switches on all of the doors, including the drivers side! When you enable (press down) the button again, it turns the lights back on for each passenger window control!

Very neat IMHO.
Old 12-25-2003, 02:18 PM
Racer

any find or miss the RDS for the radio stations?

My old TL used to state the stations name on the display..i.e

105.9 used to say POWER106.. no i get nothing adn i dont see the RDS button anywhere.. but yet XM basically does the same feature.. am i missing something here?
Old 12-25-2003, 04:51 PM
Troublemaker

Originally posted by rets
For example, my valet lizards still need the hole to put their valet key... I cannot find the battery shops in 100 miles range...

unfortunately, when we lock teh windows.... even the driver cannot control any except his/her own :'(
Old 12-25-2003, 07:06 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
This may have been posted in the thread already, so forgive me if it has, but :

When using the voice commands to change XM stations, the system can mistake numbers being spoken such as "150" as being "115" or "80" as "18" or vice versa. One way I noticed to overcome this is to spell it out ...

Instead of saying "eighty" for station 80, say "eight zero". Or instead of saying "115", say "one one five". It never messes up when you do that... not that I've seen anyway...
Old 12-26-2003, 09:51 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

The driver side door lock is also used to roll-up all windows and moon-roof if you hold your key towards the "lock" position.
that's one use of the lock you can not replicate with the remote control. (I wish I could)
Old 12-27-2003, 08:55 AM
Racer

FYI, Coin holder: I keep my change in a styrofoam cup in the drink holder. It's a little more convenient than the coin holder.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:55 AM
Racer

FYI, Coin holder: I keep my change in a styrofoam cup in the drink holder. It's a little more convenient than the coin holder.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:21 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I discovered that the door lock “remote” also controls the backlight setting for the dash with the headlights off or on.

Every time I got in the car at night I had to adjust the brightness of the dash because it was always set on 10 (not MAX). I finally figured out that I had to adjust the brightness, then reset the seat memory. When I unlocked the car with the remote, it set the dash back-light setting to the pre-set setting.

I screwed it up by re-setting the memory seat position on an overcast day when I was driving with my lights on and had re-adjusted the dash backlighting to be OK for daytime driving but not in the MAX position.

I found that the dash backlighting with the headlights off is also controlled by the “remote” memory setting

Old 12-28-2003, 08:47 AM
Chief TL Aviator

JohnDoe2 - Have you read the whole thread? The coin holder can be moved / mounted on the side pocket, which may make it a little more convenient for you ...
Old 12-30-2003, 12:37 AM
Instructor

There is a "cut" on the upper tray's rear corner of the center console. This will allow you to run the charging cable from the power outlet and keep you cellphone on the upper tray as oppose to the lower bin. There is no slot to run the cable all the way out and keep the console cover closed. Some other cars I have seen allows you to run the cable out of the center console while keeping it shut.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:04 AM
Banned

There is a recess on the right hand side of the interior trunk lid so you can close the trunk without soiling your hands!!! (note: not the trunk opener in the middle, to the right side!)
Old 12-31-2003, 09:54 AM
What's a TL?

Originally posted by NOX 3.2
The driver side door lock is also used to roll-up all windows and moon-roof if you hold your key towards the "lock" position.
that's one use of the lock you can not replicate with the remote control. (I wish I could)
If this has been noted in this thread before, sorry to reiterate..... In addition to closing the windows/roof, you can also open all of them by turning the key toward the open position. I can't believe that the dealer would not have told me these little things. This thread is like an extended dealer delivery with people that know what they are talking about!

Please don't tell me I had this feature on my '01 CL and never used it..damn I feel like an idiot
Old 12-31-2003, 04:25 PM
Troublemaker

Question....

why is it that you can unroll windows and sunroof with FOB, but you can roll them back up with it??
Old 12-31-2003, 04:30 PM
Burning Brakes

safety concern i'm sure, maybe a little kid hanging out the window or something and you don't have to have a direct line of sight to do it (like when using the key in the lock)
Old 12-31-2003, 04:33 PM
Intermediate

Found a new one today..(May be in the manual)
.If you are on a certain screen on the nav...for example--"Setup" and you press the AUDIO button, you will get obviously the AUDIO stuff. However, if you press AUDIO again, you are brought right back to where you left off.

I started a thread a while ago on how to add the trip computer to the INFO screen....It works with that also which I was very pleased about!! (IE--If you display the trip computer, hit audio to make adjustments or see the artist on XM, then hit AUDIO again, you are brought right back to the trip computer. (Instead of pressing INFO and then selecting from the list..)
Old 01-01-2004, 10:57 AM
Banned

This thread is great, and should be stickyed, especially for brand new owners.

I discovered something new which I was a little surprised at. We all know that the memory seats, side mirrors, and climate controls are part of individual customizable features, but other things are as well. Your preferences for unlocking and locking of the doors are as well. Actually, everything under the Keyless features section is between driver 1 & 2 for interior and headlight settings etc..

If someone has already mentioned this my apologies, but it was a new discovery for me in this New Year.
Old 01-01-2004, 12:16 PM
Team SSM

RTFM Folks!!!!!!
Old 01-01-2004, 01:04 PM
Instructor

Great thread!

Keep 'em coming!

Atten: Admin:
Make Thread a Sticky Please!
Old 01-01-2004, 01:18 PM
Advanced

Lumbar support

May not be news to most but I just discovered this feature while reaching down to adjust the seats. There is a switch down there next to the others that inflate/deflate a bladder behind the lower back. Great for long drives
Old 01-02-2004, 04:35 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

NEWEST FEATURE...Priceless!

OK, so it's not REALLY a feature but rather a new appreciation for the Bluetooth technology...The ability to make (or recieve) a phone call on the integrated Hands Free system EVEN when you have left your phone in your golf bag (after carrying it with me for a round). Heading back home the other night I realilized that my phone was still in my golf bag. It's pretty easy to do since the last thing anyone is thinking about after a round of golf is where exactly their cell phone is). I've done this a number of times in the past and have gotten use to stopping on the side of the road somewhere while I dig in the trunk to get it out to make a call. Of course, this time it was raining so I start to head to a sheltered area for the traditional dig when I realized that the Phone emblem in the dash is lite up. Doah! Of COURSE it is...The phone is still in the car...Hooray!!!! No more stopping. Just press the voice activation and say "Dial Home"! ...Priceless!!!
Old 01-02-2004, 07:00 PM
Banned

This is the best thread in the whole web site!!!!
Old 01-02-2004, 07:21 PM
Burning Brakes

yeah i was messing around in the TL (in garage) and called my house (BT phone was inside on the kitchen table, but evidently within range!)
Old 01-02-2004, 11:15 PM
Racer

Originally posted by copter
RTFM Folks!!!!!!
RTFM?

I just learned what "bling bling" was the other day.

Quick Reply: Have you found any New Features?? 3G Garage #L-001 (Summary in Post#1)