TL/TLX Frequently Asked Questions No New Threads Please.

Have you found any New Features?? 3G Garage #L-001 (Summary in Post#1)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 08:36 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by gregory28
Not a new feature, but a pleasant surprise. My golf bag fits along the wheel base of the back of the trunk. I had a larger car, with a larger trunk and I was forced to place my golf bag diagnolly or through the pass through. This trunk is more efficient for my regular needs.
You must have had an Audi A6. I was quite disappointed with the trunk design of that car for this reason!
Old 11-26-2003, 12:07 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by jgrahamiii
You must have had an Audi A6. I was quite disappointed with the trunk design of that car for this reason!
Volvo S-80 T-6
Old 11-26-2003, 12:28 PM
Instructor

Nav Diagnostics

Ok. Here's one I learned from an MDX owner. Press and hold the Map/Guide button. While holding it, press and hold both Menu and Cancel. Hold all three in for about 3 seconds, and the Nav diagnostic menu comes on. From here, you can see all sorts of interesting info, as well as set up some things you probably should not fool with.

For example, under GPS Navigation, you can see in real time which satellites you are tracking. Here in the Northeast, I generally used 5 simultaneously, but have had as many as 8. It looks like there is room for 12 as advertised, but I can't see 12 at a time here. Probably better down south.

You can reset your microphone level to how you talk. I did that by accident, but I think it works better now anyway. You can calibrate for new different radius tires (I didn't even want to press that button), as well as see the status of many of the cars other systems that are tied in to the nav computer and otherwise.

Then there is a trip computer of sorts, that somehow provides the data to the main trip computer. I haven't yet figured out all the codes. Part of the problem is that it measures in metric. I think it measures your speed in, believe it or not, millimeters per second. Need to play more though. Looks like you can also use this screen to save a log to a PC card (the slot is on the unit in the trunk). I don't know what data is saved, but maybe you can use it to track where your kids actually bring the car .

My guess is, if you mess something up with this screen, you will not be covered under warranty, so play at your own risk! My friend said that some info is saved here also that will help them diagnose a problem, which can be erased if you are not careful. Someone needs to get hold of a service manual so we can see what everything is here.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:47 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by spdntckt
OK.. sorry if im hogging this thead.. but here is another one.. on the SonyEricsson T68I - does anyone have any idea how you can have the call automatically routed to the HandsFreeLink when dialed from the phone? this auto-transfer works fine with the bluetooth headsets, but with my SonyEricsson i have to dial the #, then hit the phone button - and use the 'transfer' voice command... sort of annoying..
i looked through the book and couldnt find anything on this.. thoughts?
I am having the same problem...except I find that even the transfer command does not always work...
Old 11-26-2003, 05:03 PM
Instructor

jgrahamiii - that's neat! I played with those screens for a few minutes before I got scared. Hopefully someone smarter than me can find some neat stuff deep in those menus.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:26 PM
Instructor

One thing you can do with the Nav Diagnotics I described earlier is test out your touch screen monitor. It puts up a pattern that you can "touch and light" to make certain all points work. I know some folks have complained of problems. There is also a way toc calibrate it, but I'd be afraid to try without instructiions.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:07 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I determined a little known feature for cars that install the rear spoiler. If the accelerator is floored for about 17-20 seconds and the cruise is engaged, wings are deployed from underneath the TL extending outward from both the driver and front passenger doors. In addition, rudder wings are also extended on the rear spoiler including a vertical wing that protrudes from the XM radio on the rear hood. The take-off speed appears to be around 140 mph and I think that is a little high and may be due to the rather short 15 foot wingspan. I am thinking of contacting Acura to see if there is a design issue here. ...... And yes, I start drinking a little early this holiday. Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-26-2003, 10:23 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Nav Diagnostics

Ok. Here's one I learned from an MDX owner. Press and hold the Map/Guide button. While holding it, press and hold both Menu and Cancel. Hold all three in for about 3 seconds, and the Nav diagnostic menu comes on. From here, you can see all sorts of interesting info, as well as set up some things you probably should not fool with.

My guess is, if you mess something up with this screen, you will not be covered under warranty, so play at your own risk! My friend said that some info is saved here also that will help them diagnose a problem, which can be erased if you are not careful. Someone needs to get hold of a service manual so we can see what everything is here.
Dam, you are right you should NOT fool with this...

I accidentally hit something and I do not remember how I did it but now my voice commands changed and it seems to be set for a totally different kind of terrain as well. Even the navigation info has different commands listed.. the new ones now say

"Find distance to the nearest crater"
"Convert moon to time Eastern Standard Time"
"How long until earths atmosphere?"
"Why did you screw with the diagnostic settings"

be careful.

Mike

(Also drinking too much.. Happy Thanksgiving!)
Old 11-27-2003, 10:17 AM
Mav
Team Nighthawk Spokesman

Hehehe!!! Yes Happy Thanksgiving
Old 11-28-2003, 10:45 AM
Pro

It seems one of the thigns that is undocumented is side view mirrors that dim at night (like the rear view).

Someone posted it as a feature they would like to see... but it is already here!!

Not seeing brights in your side views takes some getting used to!

Mike
Old 11-28-2003, 12:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Nav Diagnostics

Very cool! Browsing a few of those menus makes you appreciate the sophistication of the system even more
Old 12-01-2003, 09:06 AM
Banned

We should keep this thread up for newbies as it is packed with interesting things.

I don't know if others have discovered this, so I'll post it as a new found feature. When I started using my Sony T-616 I always waited for the car to make it's full comment before giving my next command. However, I've found that you can press the talk button, give the command, then press it again for the next one instead of waiting for the voice to give you the next menu. Once you know how the menu system works, you can save time by just zipping through the commands, rather than waiting on the voice to prompt you.

It also takes specific phone numbers called out to it very fast, rather than the slow clear way I use to call it out in the beginning.

I hope this helps
Old 12-01-2003, 09:13 AM
Racer

Originally posted by MikeRadio
It seems one of the thigns that is undocumented is side view mirrors that dim at night (like the rear view).

Someone posted it as a feature they would like to see... but it is already here!!

Not seeing brights in your side views takes some getting used to!

Mike
Mike, are you sure about this? I haven't noticed them dimming.

Greg
Old 12-01-2003, 10:17 AM
Instructor

AFAIK, they are just tinted blue and don't actually dim like the rear-view mirrow.
Originally posted by gregory28
Mike, are you sure about this? I haven't noticed them dimming.

Greg
Old 12-01-2003, 10:24 AM
Banned

yaro is correct
Old 12-01-2003, 06:06 PM
Pro

Oh
Old 12-01-2003, 07:51 PM
Troublemaker

when you set your seat, and temperature and Mirror settings, and then save them, then take out the key, hold the Lock and unlock button for 1 second to link or unlink the key to the car (1 blink = link, 2 blinks = unlink).... do the same for the other key but with different driver and setting.... when you switch keys and press the unlock button, the car automatically moves the seat to the specific driver and shifts the mirrors and stuff. Cool to watch the seat move itself to the right spot
Old 12-04-2003, 10:49 PM
Instructor

Phone volume

I discovered that HFL volume is separate from the rest of the audio system. In other words, you can be [ahem] enjoying music but when you answer a call, the volume for that is stored independantly (i.e. 15 for music and 10 for HFL).
Old 12-05-2003, 09:48 PM
Banned

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but the drivers and passengers doors open extra wide beyond the normal expected amount.

Most car hinges give the first opening pause pretty soon so as to not hit the other car if you are in tight. Then there is another opening pause which normally is the full opening of the door. However, the TL's doors have on more opening pause beyond that, like an extra hinge so the door opens really wide. Give it a try, it is the largest opening I've seen on a sports sedan.

Old 12-06-2003, 12:17 AM
Racer

Originally posted by Z Factor
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but the drivers and passengers doors open extra wide beyond the normal expected amount.

Most car hinges give the first opening pause pretty soon so as to not hit the other car if you are in tight. Then there is another opening pause which normally is the full opening of the door. However, the TL's doors have on more opening pause beyond that, like an extra hinge so the door opens really wide. Give it a try, it is the largest opening I've seen on a sports sedan.

Z Factor just reminded me of a pleasant surprise: The ease of closing the doors and their solid construction. My kids have always had to slam our car doors to get them to shut properly. With the '04 TL they can just push the door with a small amount of effort and they close nicely. Adults can use the pinky of their hand and just get the door started in motion and it practically closes itself.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:29 PM
Advanced

Intersting. My 7yo daughter has a heckuva time closing the rear door. She has to grab with both hands and give a really. really good tug. It often takes her a couple of tries. There's no way she can do it in a sitting position, so she has to be sure to close it before buckling up.

Once she gets it going though, yeah, it closes easy. It's just getting the original momentum going that she has problems with.

And there's no possible way for me to shut the door with my pinky. I'm a big guy and I have to give it a pretty decent little tug.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:41 AM
Instructor

CD Pause

Here's one I stumbled on today when I hit a wrong button. It may be in the manual, but...

If you push the same CD disc select button as the disc that is already playing, it will pause the disk. Push again to play. I had been turning the system off when a call came in on the Cell. This is better. Thre is no "CD pause" voice command, though.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:48 AM
Racer

Talking

Do you have to turn the system off when a cell call comes in? Shouldn't you just hit the call button to receive it and the audio system should completely mute.

Of course, thats if you have a bluetooth phone, with HFP and paired to the car.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:04 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by MyJohnson
Do you have to turn the system off when a cell call comes in? Shouldn't you just hit the call button to receive it and the audio system should completely mute.

Of course, thats if you have a bluetooth phone, with HFP and paired to the car.
No need to turn off other systems, just hit CALL, the system will auto mute or halt...
Old 12-11-2003, 10:12 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by rets
No need to turn off other systems, just hit CALL, the system will auto mute or halt...
I don't have a BT phone yet (can you say, "Verizon"?). I note with Navi voice commands the CD keeps playing, just mutes. Is this true with the CALL button or does the CD actually pause?
Old 12-11-2003, 10:30 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I don't have a BT phone yet (can you say, "Verizon"?). I note with Navi voice commands the CD keeps playing, just mutes. Is this true with the CALL button or does the CD actually pause?
I remember it temporarily stops playing while you're on the phone...
Old 12-11-2003, 10:43 AM
Instructor

OK...so I had the car for about 6 weeks now and have had to fill her up about 5 times. Everytime I'm at the pump, I didn't notice any place to put the gas cap. Usually, I just let it hang and gently place it against the side of the car. Low and behold, the last time I filled her up, I noticed the hanger/ball(?) on the gas cap and the hinge on the door. Gave it a try and it was there all along. Now no more worries about scratching the paint!
Old 12-11-2003, 11:07 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by timnguyen9
OK...so I had the car for about 6 weeks now and have had to fill her up about 5 times. Everytime I'm at the pump, I didn't notice any place to put the gas cap. Usually, I just let it hang and gently place it against the side of the car. Low and behold, the last time I filled her up, I noticed the hanger/ball(?) on the gas cap and the hinge on the door. Gave it a try and it was there all along. Now no more worries about scratching the paint!
That's the right spot...
Old 12-11-2003, 11:42 AM
Burning Brakes

That's the right spot...

Your dealer should have shown you that on the delivery inspection. I wouldn't have know it either. I haven't run into a full service station that knows it so I have to keep showing them.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:02 PM
Instructor

I remember it temporarily stops playing while you're on the phone...
Ok. When you hit the CALL button, the CD does pause, but it (1) takes longer to restart playing after you end the call than does just pausing and unpausing, and (2) if you don't have a phone hooked up, the system says "Pardon?"

Note, you can only pause with the actual selection buttons. It does not work from the Nav/Audio screen.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:15 PM
Instructor

Navi reads...

If you give the Nav the command "Display Current Location", not only will it display the address, town, state, altitude, longitude, and latitude, but it actually reads to you the address, town and state. It is a mixture of the normal nav voice for things like numbers, "road", "street", and the state, and it is a synthetic voice for the road name and town name. It does a really good job of reading. Note, if you just push the white circle, you get the same screen, but no voice.

It's pretty cool.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:15 PM
Pro

Re: Navi reads...

If you give the Nav the command "Display Current Location", not only will it display the address, town, state, altitude, longitude, and latitude, but it actually reads to you the address, town and state. It is a mixture of the normal nav voice for things like numbers, "road", "street", and the state, and it is a synthetic voice for the road name and town name. It does a really good job of reading. Note, if you just push the white circle, you get the same screen, but no voice.

It's pretty cool.
I wonder why it doesn't read more addresses like that... Like when you arrive at a destination etc... Since it seems to be able to synthisize any word.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:04 AM
Instructor

Another weird thing happened today when the Nav read an address. It has a wave file (os something like that) to say "Chestnut" in the regular Nav voice, but it synthesized "Glen". For what possible reason would it have "Chestnut".
Old 12-12-2003, 11:23 AM
Pro

Another weird thing happened today when the Nav read an address. It has a wave file (os something like that) to say "Chestnut" in the regular Nav voice, but it synthesized "Glen". For what possible reason would it have "Chestnut".
Around this time of year, it points out whenever it sees them roasting on an open fire.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:09 PM
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Inother interesting thing about it reading addresses...

I was going to an address on LA CIENEGA in Los Angeles.
It read this in it's synthetic voice.
However, it notieced the LA part, and the recorded voice said "Louisniana".

Just thought it was wierd until I figured out it was automatically converting the state abbreviation.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:56 PM
Instructor

I have noticed that when pressing the max button full brightness of dash lights will occur. But press the max button again and the brightness will go back to the previous setting.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:38 PM
Pro

Originally posted by chas083
I have noticed that when pressing the max button full brightness of dash lights will occur. But press the max button again and the brightness will go back to the previous setting.
Someone said that.. and it is a GOOD feature becuase in the rain you can brighten the dash and take iot back down without futzing.

Sort of the auto scan thing wit AM and FM.. once you disengage it, your presents go back to the way they were... another great feature that someone should have thought of long ago.... since that auto scan is useless if you go to another city the old way (unless you want to reset all your presets every time). You can even REASSIGN a button to any frequency while on the auto and it will still go back to the old one aftewr you disengatge iot.. sort of like having an extra 12/6 presets.

Of course I dont listen to AM or FM, just XM... so this doesn't matter much!!
Old 12-15-2003, 01:56 PM
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by chas083
I found another great use of that this weekend.
I took a road trip to Las Vegas (doubled my current mileage too!). On driving back, there was a light rain, and I turned on my lights. But then the Navi went into night mode. So, I just hit the MAX button and everything came up pretty.
I still love this car. We listened to DVD-A all the way up, and XM radio all the way back.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:09 AM
Instructor

I noticed this feature over an extended drive this weekend.

The nacelle for the speedometer is recessed enough that the front passenger cannot see it and with the car riding as smooth as it does the wife doesn’t remind as much now that we are over the posted speed limit.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:47 PM
Instructor

Smile True or Not True

I was speaking to a friend last night who has an '03 TL that he loves. We were talking about how many electronic advancements Acura incorporates and some great features. We got onto how sometimes it is difficult to parallel park and he suddenly smiled. He said that when he backs up the passenger side mirror points downward so he can see how far away from the curb he is. Sounded great! But then I wondered if he was pulling my leg or if it is really true. Can anyone help?

Quick Reply: Have you found any New Features?? 3G Garage #L-001 (Summary in Post#1)