TL/TLX Frequently Asked Questions No New Threads Please.

Comprehensive list of known early build problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 06:36 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an issue with the stereo volume control going completely mute. The mid would show the correct information about the channel, but the volume control would act completely dead. After moving the driver seat back and hitting the memory seat control, the volume came back.

Does this problem relate to the memory seat problem that has been discussed in great detail in this thread?

2004 TL, w/o Nav, NBP, Ebony
Old 01-13-2004, 12:27 AM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by HORDAK
I have an issue with the stereo volume control going completely mute. The mid would show the correct information about the channel, but the volume control would act completely dead. After moving the driver seat back and hitting the memory seat control, the volume came back.

Does this problem relate to the memory seat problem that has been discussed in great detail in this thread?

Don't know, report all glitches, I would say this is one of them.

How many times did it happen?
Old 01-13-2004, 07:15 AM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by HORDAK

When you say the MID would show the correct information about the channel, are you saying that your Multi Information Display (the guage to the right of the speedometer) displays information about your audio system? Mine doesn't.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:20 PM
9th Gear

In reply to mjhorwitz, the MID that I am referring to is on the display by the stereo controls. To be more specific, it is the larger screen underneath the display for climate control in a non-nav vehicle.

This situation is occurring when the memory seat is not lit on the driver's door panel. It happened for a second time this afternoon. To correct the problem, I needed to turn the key to "off", turn the key to "on", hit the memory seat button prior to turning on the stereo. I am presently making sure that memory seat lights up, prior to turning the ignition on.

I am afraid that this is a sneak circuit in the computer system that ACURA Engineering was unable to detect in test. I really do not think that ACURA intended the seat memory function/module to affect any other functions of the vehicle.

I am scheduled to take my car in on Thursday to have them diagnose the problem. I hope that there is a service bulletin, a firmware upgrade, or some other option available from ACURA to correct this situation. In the mean time, I will speak with a service manager at the dealership tomorrow to tell him about my findings.

Old 01-15-2004, 01:08 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For those with build problems, how old are your cars? Do the ones arriving on dealer lots now have them resolved? Also, is there a sticky somewhere about what people have paid?
Old 01-15-2004, 07:11 PM
Instructor

Ok, I have been reading this forum for about two weeks (since I purchased my new TL) and wanted to share.

First: I love this car! I think the forum is very informative and love it too.
Second: My seat and mirror memory buttons keep losing their memory. Very frustrating. Even more frustrating is reading what everyone else has gone through to get it corrected to no avail.
Third: I have very slight vibration and can't complain. I live in Tampa so it usually doesn't get that cold.
Fourth: I have just one rattle which I found in the left front sun visor. I usually fix it by moving it around. Again, no big deal for me. The seat memory on the other hand is annoying. One can argue that we don't really need it as we can just readjust the seats and mirrors but that defeats the purpose of purchasing a premium car.
I spent 3 months researching different cars but once I drove the TL I new it was the one for me.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:15 PM
Intermediate

The seat memory is gone again. It was fine since mid November but it's gone all of the sudden today. (it did it a few times since I bought the car)
Old 01-15-2004, 07:47 PM
DNA
Instructor

I went for a couple weeks with the seat memory working. That's a record for me. But it disappeared again a couple days ago for no reason I know of. I didn't touch the memory buttons.

I haven't even mentioned the memory problem to the dealer as I was hoping there would be some Acura fix by now. How long do I have to get this covered under warrenty? (I have about 5400 miles on the car which I bought Nov. 17th.)
Old 01-15-2004, 07:52 PM
LGG
Advanced

Originally posted by DNA
How long do I have to get this covered under warrenty? (I have about 5400 miles on the car which I bought Nov. 17th.)
4 years/50,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Let's hope it doesn't take that long.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Since I'm using my valet parking spare key now for 5 weeks already, no more memory lost.

Remote is the factor... Acura should fix it ASAP.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:02 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I think I fixed the sunroof / moonroof rattle tonight. I put in two pieces of felt -- one on each side -- and it seems to be good now. Now, if I only knew how to fix the annoying shimmying/buzzing in the rear deck.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:57 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Lore
I think I fixed the sunroof / moonroof rattle tonight. I put in two pieces of felt -- one on each side -- and it seems to be good now. Now, if I only knew how to fix the annoying shimmying/buzzing in the rear deck.
So, whether or not do you fix the issue in the rear deck?

Got a simple photo about where you put the felts with your deflector? Thanks.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:04 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Here's a photo of my fix. The picture shows that the felt is on the driver's side, but there's one on the passenger side too.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Lore
Here's a photo of my fix. The picture shows that the felt is on the driver's side, but there's one on the passenger side too.

Bravo.

Thanks...
Old 01-17-2004, 10:18 PM
Instructor

You know for a $35k car that is pretty damn ridiculous!
Old 01-18-2004, 11:32 AM
Team Anthracite President

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Rusty Tail Pipes

I did a search and didn't find anything on this topic. I washed my car for the first time today and noticed rust (quite a bit) on both tail pipe tips.

I thought the the tips would be made from chorme or stainless steal. Anyone else have this problem.

Mike Smeey

Antracite/Ebony/Navi/5AT
Old 01-19-2004, 07:40 PM
7th Gear

hello all... i'm new here. just wanted to add one more problem to the list. not sure if it affects everyone but it may have been just an isolated case... how lucky am i? my driver's side heated mirror wasn't working... the only way that i knew it wasn't working is because it snowed and only the passenger side mirror defrosted. needless to say... i brought it back to the dealer and they had to replace the whole mirror assembly. they said that something wasn't grounded properly within the assembly.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:02 PM
Racer

I had my TL for one month and 2300 miles and I just notice my first flaw. The lining just aft of sunroof came off of the roof - looks like one tacky point I pushed it up and it feels like the sticky substance won't hold under the current cool temp. I also noticed the memory thing where it recognizes dirver 1, but the seat doesn't go back to it's position. I also felt the vibration some other posts are mentioning, but i think it's just the condition of the road so far.

'04 TL/5AT/Nav
Old 01-20-2004, 05:14 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: Rusty Tail Pipes

Originally posted by Vffr1
I did a search and didn't find anything on this topic. I washed my car for the first time today and noticed rust (quite a bit) on both tail pipe tips.

I thought the the tips would be made from chorme or stainless steal. Anyone else have this problem.

Mike Smeey

Antracite/Ebony/Navi/5AT

I checked mine and friend's, and don't see it. Are you sure?

If it's really the rust, the dealer should be able to replace or fix under the warranty.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:26 PM
Chief TL Aviator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Visited my service dept today w/ regards to RATTLES ...

Good news: Fixed one in the moonroof area. Turns out that one of the three clips that secures the headline was not properly attached at the factory thus causing a "chattering" noise when the car was driven on rough roads! They're going to report it the factory rep tomorrow ....

Bad news: Now that the moonroof rattle is fixed, I can definitely hear another rattle coming from the maplight area of car!

Oh well. Eventually, I'll get them all fixed.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:38 PM

Re: Re: Rusty Tail Pipes

Originally posted by rets
I checked mine and friend's, and don't see it. Are you sure?

If it's really the rust, the dealer should be able to replace or fix under the warranty.

Yes, it's rust, the dealer has already ordered a new set of tips for me.

Mike Smeezy
Old 01-21-2004, 02:05 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Rusty Tail Pipes

Originally posted by Vffr1
Yes, it's rust, the dealer has already ordered a new set of tips for me.

Mike Smeezy
New tips? They are welded on. I guess they are going to cut them off and put new ones on, or replace both mufflers.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:37 PM

Heres the Info...

I'm not sure what they are going to do, here is the information of the guy who ordered the parts feel free to follow up with him.

Glen Aizwa, Service Advisor
Los Gatos Acura

(408) 358-8000

Let me know what you find out.

Mike Smeezy
Old 01-22-2004, 12:46 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Another update on my rattle saga:

My steering wheel / steering column rattle could not be fixed by Concord Acura. They put felt tape all around it but it didn't get any better.

They did, however, fix the rear deck rattle/buzzing. It was a result of the single bolt from the third seat belt vibrating. They insulated it as best as they could to prevent it from happening anymore. I have no idea what sort of insulation they put on it.

I brought the car into Oakland Acura this morning. The service advisor (Claudia) who went with me on the test drive could not hear anything. The other service advisor (Darryl Chan) went out with a tech and validated the rattle, so they ordered a new part for it which will be in on Friday. According to Claudia, they're replacing the panels around the steering column. No idea what that will do, but they said it was coming loose.

More details to come.
Old 01-25-2004, 01:01 PM
Racer

These are the kinds of things that drove me nuts with my 2002 TL-S. For a car that costs $35,000 not having these issues is not too much to ask. It looks like Acura quality hasn't gotten any better.
I agree, that's what pisses me off about my car.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:01 PM
Intermediate

Has anyone here experience with getting problems fixed from a dealer other than the one where you bought the car? I'm considering buying from an out-of-town dealer, and wonder what service I can expect from a local one.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:50 AM
10th Gear

re: getting problems fixed from different dealer then purchased

Originally posted by nologic98
Has anyone here experience with getting problems fixed from a dealer other than the one where you bought the car? I'm considering buying from an out-of-town dealer, and wonder what service I can expect from a local one.
I am very much interested in this as well. Anyone with experiences?
Old 01-28-2004, 08:54 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought the car at a different dealer than where I get service...I havent had any problems with them yet, except the service manager denies ever having heard of the "memory seat issue."

I bought my previous acura there but the first thing they did was to look up my VIN and say..."Oh, you did not buy this car here..."
But no problems with the service...he addressed all my concerns except the memory seat like i mentioned.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:39 AM
Burning Brakes

I wouldn't be concerned about getting service from a dealer other than the selling dealer.

Sure, there are some bad dealerships out there, but they are supposed to treat you as well as anybody else, and I don't know how many places, if any, check to see if a car was purchased at the dealership at the time it is brought in for service.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:43 PM
Pro

I took mine to another dealer to replace a scratched Rim.... because they had it in stock and mine didn't...

they were very nice.. also said they never heard of the seat memory issue... but said to come back for my 1st service there!

maybe it helped that I bought something for cash!
Pro

I took mine to another dealer to replace a scratched Rim.... because they had it in stock and mine didn't...

they were very nice.. also said they never heard of the seat memory issue... but said to come back for my 1st service there!

Pro

Old 01-30-2004, 01:10 PM
mjw
Cruisin'

Another Item to add to the list

Our '04 TL just developed a problem with the CD player. It won't play a CD anymore. It has 4 disks stuck in it that it won't release. This is the second time it happened. The first time it seemed to correct itself when we turned it off and went through all the different radio settings, then it started working again. Annoying, since we just picked it up from the dealer to fix(?) the seat memory problem (for the 4th time).
Also, since I'm one of the picky ones as well, has anyone else noticed the steering wheel appears to off center (left) from the seat by 1/2" to 1"? It doesn't appear the steering wheel and the driver's seat are in alignment. Also annoying. I've seen this in a few other cars, and it bugs the hell out of me. It isn't real apparent, but something just felt off and I couldn't figure it until I slide over to the left side of the seat.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:02 AM
Banned

Mjw,

Sorry to hear of your radio woes, but for the memory seat issue, there is not fix yet, you are wasting your time on that, I am surprised that the dealer is working on it, all dealers were told to hold for the fix from Acura.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:02 AM
5th Gear

My seat memory resets periodicaly, the leather is wrinkling, and it grinds going into 2nd when cold (manual trans). I have to say no vibration at any speed. Mine has the custom 19" Acura rims though. I wonder if the vibration has to do with the auto trans or the regular wheels.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:13 AM
Pro

My steering wheel is slightly off center and after 3 tries at a fix, it is much bette rbut not perfect.. but not worth any more effort to fix.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:49 PM
TLover

any one have these problems on new mid-february TLs?
Old 02-21-2004, 11:24 PM
LGG
Advanced

I guess we're about to find out. I took delivery of our AT Navi Anthracite/Quartz today. VIN *302xx. Built in 02/04 (door jamb), supposedly week of 2/9. (For those keeping score, it was ordered the day after Thanksgiving.)

So far, so good. But all I did was drive it home--it's nominally my wife's and she's out of town for the weekend. Boy is she in for a surprise tomorrow--she doesn't know it got here yet, much less that I went and fetched it.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Noticed another issue. Looks as if the anchors for the headliner, behind the sunroof, were not installed. I heard this flapping noise. So, I looked up and sure enough the headliner was beating against the roof due to the buffeting from the air rushing in.

Other issues are the sqeaking noise above my head (coming from around the assist handle and the misaligned airbag module.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:34 PM
mjw
Cruisin'

Seat Memory

Our dealer did work on the seat memory problem, a little. The area rep suggested they look for a loose ground. They poked around a little, but didn't accomplish much. We are taking it in for service this week to fix the CD problem, and once again the seat memory is gone. Imagine that! This is the fourth time. Acura needs to fix this problem, and soon. We never had a seat memory loss on our 1997 3.5 RL. My wife, who drives this car most, is getting fed up with all the bugs. We have less than 2000 miles on it, and it's going in for it's third trip to the shop to fix manufacturing defects. In 30 years of buying cars, I've never had problems like this...except the RL, which is why we sold it.

Quick Reply: Comprehensive list of known early build problems