TL/TLX Frequently Asked Questions No New Threads Please.

Comprehensive list of known early build problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 08:25 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I take my Bluetooth phone in the car, the screen above the CD player sometimes hangs on the "PHONE" setting, even if I'm not using the HFL. So when I try to figure out which CD is playing, it won't change to show what's in the CD deck or what AM/FM station is on. I've even tried to toggle the in-dash LED screen from Handsfree Link (which also sticks) to something else to cancel the function, and it doesn't work. Turn the radio off, still nothing. Eventually, it cancels the "PHONE" setting for no apparent reason. Help!!
Old 02-24-2004, 10:14 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Rusty Tail Pipes

Originally posted by Vffr1
Yes, it's rust, the dealer has already ordered a new set of tips for me.

Mike Smeezy
Mike, I noticed the rust on my tail pipe tips last weekend, seems like they did not coat the tips where they where stamped out of the base material (at the rear of the tip towards the front of the car) which then causes them to rust back (especially with the winter salt spray directly hitting that portion of the tips!).

Good luck to all 1st year buyers, too many common issues!
Old 02-24-2004, 10:16 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Re: Re: Re: Re: Rusty Tail Pipes

Originally posted by Tread
Mike, I noticed the rust on my tail pipe tips last weekend, seems like they did not coat the tips where they where stamped out of the base material (at the rear of the tip towards the front of the car) which then causes them to rust back (especially with the winter salt spray directly hitting that portion of the tips!).

Tread, can you post a photo of the tips?
Old 02-24-2004, 10:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Re: Re: Re: Rusty Tail Pipes

Originally posted by Tread

Sadly, I think I have seen a small spot myself. My TL is a rolling salt lick up here in Wisconsin.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:20 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

The funny thing is Mike Smeezy is in San Jose!
Old 02-24-2004, 10:57 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rusty Tail Pipes

Originally posted by Lore
Tread, can you post a photo of the tips?
Will try to do it this week.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:31 PM
Intermediate

I have the same problem

what kind of phone are you using?
my poblem started after I had the firmware on my T616 upgraded....
Old 03-01-2004, 04:48 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by Bayern
When I take my Bluetooth phone in the car, the screen above the CD player sometimes hangs on the "PHONE" setting, even if I'm not using the HFL. So when I try to figure out which CD is playing, it won't change to show what's in the CD deck or what AM/FM station is on. I've even tried to toggle the in-dash LED screen from Handsfree Link (which also sticks) to something else to cancel the function, and it doesn't work. Turn the radio off, still nothing. Eventually, it cancels the "PHONE" setting for no apparent reason. Help!!
Mine does this too. Canadian car bought 3 weeks ago.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:43 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Bayern
I have the same problem.. I am using Sony Ericsson T630...

what I do is I would press the PHONE button on the wheel and then press cancel. It will get the multi display menu back to normal.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:03 AM
Instructor

Re: I have the same problem

Originally posted by ricco
what kind of phone are you using?
my poblem started after I had the firmware on my T616 upgraded....
How do you get the firmware upgraded on your T616? I bought one last week but the crackling is driving me nuts. Good phone otherwise.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:25 PM
Intermediate

upgrade firmware on T616

There is a place in Toronto called Bongo communication... not syre if that helps.... check the net for alocal place or send the phone back to SE.....they should do it under warranty
Old 03-05-2004, 06:42 PM
Intermediate

Design flaw?

Only had my TL for 3 weeks, and the only design flaw I have noticed is the aluminum trim along the console is too soft and too easy to dent from the metallic part of the seat belt connector if you are not careful with your aim when whipping it over to insert it. Not sure if the trim strip is easily replaceable or the cost, but curious if others see this happening.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:58 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts
Break Squeel...

The front breaks squeel every time I break at slow speeds, like pulling up to a light or into my driveway. Dealer said common problem due to break pad compound issue that was being worked on by Acura engineers. I Called Acura Client Service, they said they were not aware of this problem and would have someone contact me within 2 business days. I did not get a call back.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Design flaw?

Originally posted by skotchrox
Only had my TL for 3 weeks, and the only design flaw I have noticed is the aluminum trim along the console is too soft and too easy to dent from the metallic part of the seat belt connector if you are not careful with your aim when whipping it over to insert it. Not sure if the trim strip is easily replaceable or the cost, but curious if others see this happening.

The base of seat belt is really closed to that trim. Just be careful, this has been addressed in many threads.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:57 PM
Intermediate

Problem with the blue tooth.
The link got stuck in "In use" and will not release.
This problem did not go away after powering off the phone.
Even with out the key the "In use" indicator stay on for the entire day.
Keep in mind when it's in this mode, nothing else will work. You can't use the radio, voice commands, etc...

The solution was to unplug the battery and plug it back.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:14 PM
9th Gear

You don't have to unplug the battery. Just hit the hang up buttom on the wheel. This will return you to the main menu. This is how the car suppose to work. Nothing wrong with it. Read the manual.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:34 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by napolit75
You don't have to unplug the battery. Just hit the hang up buttom on the wheel. This will return you to the main menu. This is how the car suppose to work. Nothing wrong with it. Read the manual.

The issue he said above was not easy to fix by reading the manual, and this is not supposed to happen in the car... You could check "Bluetooth primer and phone information"... Sorry, something wrong with it or phone...
Old 03-09-2004, 04:43 PM
9th Gear

When you make a phone call you need to hang up. If you don't do that you will stay in that menu for ever and ever. If you did that and it did not work, than I agree it is a problem but most likely with the phone.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:28 PM
Intermediate

napolot75,

Thanks for the suggestion on hitting the hang up buttom.
Wouldn't you think thats one of the first button I tried?
Also, I've read the manual before.
Like rets said "this is not supporsed to happen in the car."

I've even enter the diag mode attempting to fix this before I un-plug the battery.

Why would you think it's the phone if the car is not releasing "in use"?
Old 03-09-2004, 05:40 PM
9th Gear

I experience the same problem. The car gets into a menu and I could get out of it. Unless I hit the hang up button twice. Once for the hang up and the other to get out of the state machine. I have a Sony Ericsson (T616 and T68i) and they both work fine. In the car at the same time. Well, not exactly at the same time, there is a command to look for the other phone and connect to it. Sometimes I have to hit the back button for the navigation, before I can get the music back. May be your car is a single issue.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:50 PM
Cruisin'

First Service visit for my 04 TL w/Navy

Hello all,

I am new to the site and the TL family. I just purchased my new TL about 2 weeks ago - VIN 29k. I took my 04 TL in today to have the following issues looked at:

1- Rattle in the rear sound system. I am not sure if this is the speakers/subwoofer or a creak.

2- Navigation hangs when entering a place or address. This has happened several times.

3- When in manual transmission the gear shifts quickly from 1st to 2nd gear automatically.

4- I had to have the PS door armrest replaced because it had two worn spots.

5- There is a creaking noise coming from the right front side of the interior.

6- Tires seem to ride a little rougher than I expected.

7- When using the Acura HFL system, I have to turn up the volume on the radio and this causes cracking in the front speaker. I was using the Sony Ericson T616. By the way, the Nokia 3600/3650 do not display signal and battery strength like the Sony Ericson T616. However, Nokia is far better in reception than the Sony.

8- The dealer put their dealer tag on the front of my car. I have asked them to remove this, but I am afraid it will leave holes in my front bumper. I want to display the ACURA name which is engrave in the front bumper.

9- Timing of the windows down function of the handsfree remote. I am constantly rolling down the windows because the system is reacting to my second unlook for the passenger side. However, I am doing this quickly and the window feature is picking up right away. I have rolled the windows down several times and have had to roll back up.

10- Had the dealer punch holes in my trunk tray so that I can install my cargo net.

That's it for this time. I really enjoy reading the posts from this site and look forward to learning more about my new TL.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:52 AM
Pro

Re: First Service visit for my 04 TL w/Navy

A number of things that you listed are not issues at all, just "operator errors". Read below for details.

Originally posted by talk2kirb

3- When in manual transmission the gear shifts quickly from 1st to 2nd gear automatically.

6- Tires seem to ride a little rougher than I expected.

8- The dealer put their dealer tag on the front of my car. I have asked them to remove this, but I am afraid it will leave holes in my front bumper. I want to display the ACURA name which is engrave in the front bumper.

9- Timing of the windows down function of the handsfree remote. I am constantly rolling down the windows because the system is reacting to my second unlook for the passenger side. However, I am doing this quickly and the window feature is picking up right away. I have rolled the windows down several times and have had to roll back up.

10- Had the dealer punch holes in my trunk tray so that I can install my cargo net.

That's it for this time. I really enjoy reading the posts from this site and look forward to learning more about my new TL.
The transmission is SUPPOSED to switch from 1st to 2nd gear in the auto-manual mode.

"Roughness" of the ride is not an issue, it's the characteristic of the car. You should've been paying attention to it during the test drive. Also, did you check the tire pressure to make sure they're not overinflated?

You do NOT have to press unlock button on the remote twice to open the passenger doors! You can program it to do it with a single click. It's one of those read-the-f*cking-manual things.

Why in the world would you list things that you asked your dealer to do (front bracket and trunk mat) as issues???
Old 03-11-2004, 12:44 PM
Intermediate

Hey dulnev!

WHY ARE YOU SO RUDE?!!!!
Old 03-11-2004, 02:09 PM
Pro

Originally posted by tl-lvr
Hey dulnev!

WHY ARE YOU SO RUDE?!!!!
I don't think I was rude, just direct, but that's a matter of perception. If you're referring to the "read-the-f*cking-manual" comment, I'm sure you've seen it before in the abbreviated form: RTFM. If that offends you, tough! I have very little tolerance for lazy people who are too important to spend 30 minutes to read a manual for a $35,000 piece of hardware that they bought!
Old 03-11-2004, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
Re: Re: First Service visit for my 04 TL w/Navy

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dulnev
[B]A number of things that you listed are not issues at all, just "operator errors". Read below for details.

You do NOT have to press unlock button on the remote twice to open the passenger doors! You can program it to do it with a single click. It's one of those read-the-f*cking-manual things.

But some people don't want to program it with a single click, which is why they give you the option. So if you want to use a double click setup, so the other doors don't open (for safety), then you can do it if you want to. You have to hold the second click down for a fairly long time (not enough for gestation but long enough to activate the sequence), so a quick second push should not activate the window opening procedure.

Just for info, the keyfob-window opening thing won't work if you are sitting in the car, even if the key is not in the ignition.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:49 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks to those of you who see it as I do. DUNLEV, for your information I have read the manual completely! As a matter of fact, I prefer NOT to unlock all the doors on the first hit of the remote unlock feature. However, I prefer the secure way of unlocking all doors on the second hit. Maybe you should read the manual where it states why these two options are there in the first place! I cannot believe you've taken the time to embaress yourself and post your ignorance response to such an educated and informing forum.

To all the others, I still have my car at the dealership and they come into a hung state on the speaker creak from the subwoofer in the rear. They have told me this is a known issue with the TL and Acura hasn't really addressed it yet. They had the back of my TL torn all apart trying to figure out where the rattle was coming from! :-( As it turns out the rubber wall around the subwoofer was built tall enough and the subwoofer is bouncing above this causing the creaking noise - almost sounds like speakers are blown.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:31 PM
Intermediate

VIN and Tire info

With everything I've read concerning early model problems and tire issues, would someone kindly tell me how to determine the production number of my TL (I assume it is part of the VIN) and how to determine if I have the "problem" tires I've read about.
Love the car, love the forum, thanks for all the information.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:18 PM
Intermediate

Should I buy..... or wait?

Dear Everybody,

I'm considering buying a new TL. However, after hearing about all the issue you guys have been dealing with i'm a bit concerned...

I already put a deposit on the car (the car is on order) so it's not too later..

It's March 18th, the car will be here by April 1st. What kinks should i expect to have fixed in the car and what problems should I expect to be dealing with.

Thanks,
Aggie
Old 03-19-2004, 01:24 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: Should I buy..... or wait?

Originally posted by aggie
Dear Everybody,

I'm considering buying a new TL. However, after hearing about all the issue you guys have been dealing with i'm a bit concerned...

I already put a deposit on the car (the car is on order) so it's not too later..

It's March 18th, the car will be here by April 1st. What kinks should i expect to have fixed in the car and what problems should I expect to be dealing with.

IMO, I would say 04TL is the very good car, and most of ppl don't have too many issues with their new ride. Usually, newer car should have less early-built problems if they don't create any new problems.

If you like to have a new car now, 04TL apparently is the very good choice.

Rattle issues: you have to drive for a period of time, it's hard to tell in the very first day.

Vibration issues: test-drive when picking up your car, try each suspicious speed & RPM, such like 1500 RPM/5th gear/50 MPH, etc.

Tires issues: New VIN should have new EL42s if you don't buy HPTs. March 18's 04TL could be 35xxx-38xxx, EL42s could be 0704-0904... IMHO.

Old 03-19-2004, 01:31 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: VIN and Tire info

Originally posted by skotchrox
With everything I've read concerning early model problems and tire issues, would someone kindly tell me how to determine the production number of my TL (I assume it is part of the VIN) and how to determine if I have the "problem" tires I've read about.
Love the car, love the forum, thanks for all the information.

How to determine VINs? If talking about what they mean, you could search "decipher" in 3rd Gen TL forum. Newer VIN now for 3/18/04 could be 35xxx or more.

Tires could be 0704 or more for new 04TLs. I think, not all of EL42s have problems. If you buy it now, the new car should have even less chance to get problems.

Old 03-19-2004, 10:46 AM
Intermediate

Have they fixed the ignition problems and engine rattles?
Old 03-19-2004, 12:03 PM
Intermediate

VIN Decoded

Rets - thanks for the directions to the right thread. Now I understand VINs. I'll check out my tires next.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:18 PM
Intermediate

Angry Defective floor mats?

Took out the floor mats and shook them out. While "snapping" them in the air, they actually started to rip at the edge! These are the weakest car mats I've ever seen!! Will be talking to the dealer soon about replacing mine. I guess the mats were not meant to be shaken - although I never saw any warning they were to be vacuumed only! Bummer.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:05 PM
Intermediate

I'm sure somewhere in these 16 pages is the answer to my question, but, unfortunately, I don't have the time to read all the pages. So I'm hoping someone can give me a quick answer.

Like many people who probably visit this thread, I am extremely interested in purchasing a 2004 Acura TL. But I've found some early production problems many owners have experienced. So, my question is: After what VIN# or production date where most or all of these problems addressed? Basically I'm asking what VIN# or production date should I be looking for?

Thanks everyone!
Old 03-26-2004, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
The memory seat problem was fixed after vin 18476.

For tires, look at the tires. There is a build date which reads something like 0704, which means the 7th week of 2004. 0604 may be good, but anything with 0704 will be the new tires.

For the tires, you should definitely take a long drive, and also you should try and get the car first thing in the morning before they have had a chance to drive it and warm up the tires. If there is a vibration problem, it will show up when the tires are cold and go away in about 5-6 miles, depending on outside temperature.

Most of the other niggling problems, like rattles and loose fitting trim, have been eliminated by this time.

You will get more info and quicker replies if you go to the 3d Gen forum in the future.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:52 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 625 Likes on 276 Posts
Old 04-13-2004, 12:33 PM
Team Nighthawk Water Boy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So far i've encounted 2 problems which is driving me nuts...

1. Rattling in the center dash (navi) and also the rear left speaker
2. Uneven 3rd Brake Lamp.. the left side doesn't light up as bright..

Other than these two problems.. i can live with the rest....
Old 04-25-2004, 09:27 AM
bluu

Originally Posted by Ron A
The memory seat problem was fixed after vin 18476.

For tires, look at the tires. There is a build date which reads something like 0704, which means the 7th week of 2004. 0604 may be good, but anything with 0704 will be the new tires.

For the tires, you should definitely take a long drive, and also you should try and get the car first thing in the morning before they have had a chance to drive it and warm up the tires. If there is a vibration problem, it will show up when the tires are cold and go away in about 5-6 miles, depending on outside temperature.

Most of the other niggling problems, like rattles and loose fitting trim, have been eliminated by this time.

You will get more info and quicker replies if you go to the 3d Gen forum in the future.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:41 AM
bluu

Love the car and thank you for the info about EL-42. The tires in my TL are 0704.

ABP/E NAVI AT5.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:51 AM
bluu

Just bought my TL in April, i find this forum excellent for information. what is firmware T616 ?

04 TL AT/5
ABP/E NAVI
Edmonton, AB. Canada

Quick Reply: Comprehensive list of known early build problems