TL/TLX Frequently Asked Questions No New Threads Please.

Bluetooth primer and phone information

Old 01-21-2004, 11:26 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by nitrotiger
anyone here using cingular with bluetooth
Yes, quite nicely.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:39 AM
Instructor

Re: Multi-Network Phone / Bluetooth/ ATT

Originally posted by davidk
I am picking up my TL next month. I have ATT Wireless service. I need a phone that is "Multi-Network" (will work GSM and Digital) to get service in Vermont (only Digital). Is there a Bluetooth Digital phone or Multi-network bluetooth phone that works well with the TL?
Thanks.
David

A bit confused.

GSM IS digital. Do you mean GSM vs CDMA? If so no such phone exists. There are GAIT phones that will do GSM and TDMA. But they are not very common and I don't know if there are any that support Bluetooth. Not sure about GSM coverage in Vermont. You could check ATT or Cingular web sites.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:33 PM
Pro

Re: Multi-Network Phone / Bluetooth/ ATT

I am picking up my TL next month. I have ATT Wireless service. I need a phone that is "Multi-Network" (will work GSM and Digital) to get service in Vermont (only Digital). Is there a Bluetooth Digital phone or Multi-network bluetooth phone that works well with the TL?
Thanks.
David
David, I'll let everyone know later today, when I get home. I just received Bluetooth adapter for my new AT&T Wireless TDMA/GSM/Analog phone - Sony Ericsson T62u. The chances that it will work with TL are not that good, but I'll know shortly and will post here.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:00 PM
Advanced

Unhappy Bluetooth Question

I have the Nokia 3650 (AT&T Wireless). The bluetooth wireless feature on my 2004 TL is great and is a safety plus. However, I did notice that the signal strength indicator won't display the signal strength that is on my phone. I have only graphics of the antenna, but no bars. Does anyone else out there using the bluetooth feature have the same experience?
Old 01-21-2004, 02:47 PM
Intermediate

RE: Bluetooth Question

Fellow TLr:
Yep, several folks have posted similar experiences with the 3650 in this thread. Seems the phone just doesn't transmit that data to the car. Hope that helps!
- Peter
Old 01-21-2004, 02:54 PM
Advanced

Peter, I haven't read the conversations. Is there a phone folks are recomending that will work?
Old 01-21-2004, 03:36 PM
Intermediate

I've seen the SE Z600 mentioned several times as working really well, but I highly recommend reading this whole thread to get the best idea (I know it's long but it's insanely informative).
- Peter
Old 01-21-2004, 03:47 PM
Pro

Unhappy Re: Re: Multi-Network Phone / Bluetooth/ ATT

Originally posted by dulnev
David, I'll let everyone know later today, when I get home. I just received Bluetooth adapter for my new AT&T Wireless TDMA/GSM/Analog phone - Sony Ericsson T62u. The chances that it will work with TL are not that good, but I'll know shortly and will post here.
I'm sorry to report that my experiment has failed, which is what I had expected. But I had to completelly eliminate the possibility of preserving the great AT&T TDMA coverage while gaining Bluetooth in the TL.

I've tried to pair the T62u with the TL several times, using different device modes ("Discoverable" and "On") and with and without security settings. TL was simply never able to detect the phone.

Too bad! Now my only option is to wait for Verizon to bring a Bluetooth CDMA phone.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:26 PM
String

Originally posted by sfintel
Not a great solution, but what I've done is store an entry named "Voice Mail PIN". After I dial voice mail, I hit the talk button and say, "send Voice Mail Pin".
Just in case you didn't know, you can enter PAUSE, STAR, and POUND as commands. Just say the words with the phone number and they will also be sent.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:41 PM
CEO of IMHO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Patel4721,

Everything that I've read so far is that the PAUSE does not work for HFL. Please confirm that this works... and if it does, for which phone.

Thanks,
Jon
Old 01-22-2004, 05:56 AM
String

Originally posted by JonDeutsch
Patel4721,

Everything that I've read so far is that the PAUSE does not work for HFL. Please confirm that this works... and if it does, for which phone.

Thanks,
Jon
Jon,

You are correct. Sorry to have mislead by writing what I wrote. You can enter a PAUSE but you are correct, I haven't been able to get it to work yet.

Old 01-22-2004, 06:22 AM
Cruisin'

Re: Re: Re: Multi-Network Phone / Bluetooth/ ATT

I'm sorry to report that my experiment has failed, which is what I had expected. But I had to completelly eliminate the possibility of preserving the great AT&T TDMA coverage while gaining Bluetooth in the TL.

I've tried to pair the T62u with the TL several times, using different device modes ("Discoverable" and "On") and with and without security settings. TL was simply never able to detect the phone.

Too bad! Now my only option is to wait for Verizon to bring a Bluetooth CDMA phone.
Thanks - that was the phone I was thinking about (it is Multi-Network or "GAIT") I'm not aware of any other GAIT/Bluetooth phones. Any Thoughts?
Old 01-22-2004, 07:28 AM
Pro

Re: Re: Re: Re: Multi-Network Phone / Bluetooth/ ATT

Thanks - that was the phone I was thinking about (it is Multi-Network or "GAIT") I'm not aware of any other GAIT/Bluetooth phones. Any Thoughts?
Nope, that's it. I've searched far and wide for over a month. The only other alternative was a Motorola 270c CDMA phone on the Verizon network. It also has an optional Bluetooth attachment. Other people have tried it with the TL and failed. That's it! This only leaves GSM phones at this time or waiting for a possible Verizon phone at the end of the year. I'm opting for the latter. I tried GSM service in Northern Virginia and I don't see anyone in their right mind switching from AT&T TDMA or Verizon CDMA to it.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:12 AM
CEO of IMHO

Oh Crap. I was hoping I was wrong!

Such a stupid bug... but it's really kind of a pain that it doesn't work!!

We know Johnson Controls makes the HFL system, but I wonder if there's anyway to get a ROM/firmware update.

Jon

Originally posted by patel4721
Jon,

You are correct. Sorry to have mislead by writing what I wrote. You can enter a PAUSE but you are correct, I haven't been able to get it to work yet.

Old 01-22-2004, 08:54 AM
Instructor

Oh Crap. I was hoping I was wrong!

Such a stupid bug... but it's really kind of a pain that it doesn't work!!

We know Johnson Controls makes the HFL system, but I wonder if there's anyway to get a ROM/firmware update.

Jon
I've thought about this and I don't think it's possible. The reason why is that when the phone is in a call, HFL is actually sending the tones (look at your phone: do you see the key presses?) How would HFL know when to hit the 'Send' button and start sending tones instead? It doesn't have access to the same call progress indicators that exist within the phone to do this.

I've just gotten used to saying, "Call Office Voice Mail... Call... Send Office PIN... Send"
Old 01-22-2004, 08:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think when I called Cingular, they told me the SE T610 was a GAIT and that I couldn't get it on their cheap plan, but they would turn it on for me on a slightly higher plan. Anyone want to re-verify that ?
Old 01-22-2004, 10:51 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by patel4721
Jon,

The pause feature you are talking about is between numbers when dialing correct? If so, I entered a pause in between numbers and it works fine.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:56 AM
CEO of IMHO

Say what? Can you be more specific?

Which phone are you using? How are you making PAUSE work for you using HFL?

Jon

Originally posted by bfechter
The pause feature you are talking about is between numbers when dialing correct? If so, I entered a pause in between numbers and it works fine.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:47 AM
Advanced

Cingular is offering me S56. Any comments.
AT T offering T616 Any comments.

Thanks. What a pain in rear. If I owned a cellular business, I would be hooked up at dealer to get linked in immediately.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:28 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Sherlock
I think when I called Cingular, they told me the SE T610 was a GAIT and that I couldn't get it on their cheap plan, but they would turn it on for me on a slightly higher plan. Anyone want to re-verify that ?
Do you already have the T610?
Old 01-22-2004, 08:30 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by inky
Cingular is offering me S56. Any comments.
AT T offering T616 Any comments.

Thanks. What a pain in rear. If I owned a cellular business, I would be hooked up at dealer to get linked in immediately.

Go with the T610. Cingular is going to buy ATT anyway
The S56 has problems.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:32 PM
CEO of IMHO

What problems does the S56 have?
Old 01-22-2004, 08:55 PM
Burning Brakes

cingular is buying ATT so wait for the motorola v600 the fun look sweet i have had the v60 and it works awesome so i expect there nre flagship to be the best on the market. the t616 works good with the car so if your in a rush go with the t616
Old 01-22-2004, 09:02 PM
Pro

Originally posted by nitrotiger
cingular is buying ATT so wait for the motorola v600 the fun look sweet i have had the v60 and it works awesome so i expect there nre flagship to be the best on the market. the t616 works good with the car so if your in a rush go with the t616
Cingular has made a bid for AT&T Wireless, but the merger is FAR from certain.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
I'd like to know this too. My S56 has worked just fine for the three months I've had it.

Mike
Old 01-23-2004, 07:10 AM
Team NBP Member

Originally posted by Maxfli
Go with the T610. Cingular is going to buy ATT anyway
The S56 has problems.
I believe the S56 had problems initially with the "sniff" mode (the phone would drop the bluetooth connection as a power save feature) but the pairing instructions show how to disable this mode.

I've had the S56 since November and I have to say it is the best phone I've ever used. It has the longest battery life of any color phone that I've owned.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:31 AM
Instructor

A problem has been reported that from time to time the S56 will report (on it's display) some kind of internal Bluetooth Error and take the Bluetooth link down AND remove the HFT from the paired device list. Siemens denies this but its has been WIDELY reported.

Problems in pairing with this phone are also widely reported.(Not just in the TL, but with headsets as well.)

It also has a rather annoying problem of blasting a tone back to the user when attempting an outgoing call. The tone sounds like it comes from the network but the S56 and S55 are the only phones I've seen that do this (not just in Bluetooth mode, whenever a call is made).

Another issue is not really Siemens fault but the S56 is a higher output power (in the range of 2 watts) than most other phones. This causes a "buzzing" on the TL's radio when in a call.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:38 AM
Instructor

Cingular has made a bid for AT&T Wireless, but the merger is FAR from certain.

You are correct, it is NOT a certainty as yet. But I've loaded up on AWE stock for the event (short)! AWE is certainly on the auction block.

Others are bidding, including DoCoMo, the major Japanese carrier.
Other rumors have Verizon making a play for Sprint.
Old 01-23-2004, 03:51 PM
Cruisin'

I think I have done everything possible with my Sony Ericission T68i but cannot get the HandsFreeLink to work. The phone did paired up with the T68i, but whenever I attempt to make a call, the HFL complaints with "No Phone Have Been Found".

Anyone has any idea? I have set the phone to have Bluetooth "ON" at all times and did get out of the car and back after pairing... Nothing helps?

Thanks!
Database
Old 01-23-2004, 10:23 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by database
I think I have done everything possible with my Sony Ericission T68i but cannot get the HandsFreeLink to work. The phone did paired up with the T68i, but whenever I attempt to make a call, the HFL complaints with "No Phone Have Been Found".

Anyone has any idea? I have set the phone to have Bluetooth "ON" at all times and did get out of the car and back after pairing... Nothing helps?

Thanks!
Database
Go to the device menu on the phone and try to force the connection. Make sure you followed the correct pairing procedure.
Else it may just be a faulty phone. The T68i was one of the first Bluetooth phones and you may be several software versions behind. You service provider should be able to update the phone for you. If you can find out what software version you have I can tell you if it is old.
Old 01-24-2004, 04:45 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks Maxfli, I don't know which version it is in right now but will take it to a shop nearby to find out. I do see the T68i displaying a Bluetooth communication in progress icon on the phone display but the TL still complaint. Will try to get the latest firmware for the phone and retry. Thanks! I appreciate if you have any additional insight.

Thanks!
Database
Old 01-24-2004, 08:57 PM
8th Gear

I have had my S56 paired with my TL since about Mid-November, works great! However, I wanted to take even more advantage of the bluetooth technology so I purchased a Jabra BT200 headset. When I paired the headset, instead of telling me "Headset Trusted", it told me "Speakerphone Trusted". I didn't think anything of it at the time, but when I stepped into my TL again, the phone was no longer paired and the HandsFreeLink was no longer showing under "known devices". Now, it won't let me pair both the headset and the HFL. Can anyone help? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help in advance,
Mike
Old 01-24-2004, 10:41 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by 2TallTexan
I have had my S56 paired with my TL since about Mid-November, works great! However, I wanted to take even more advantage of the bluetooth technology so I purchased a Jabra BT200 headset. When I paired the headset, instead of telling me "Headset Trusted", it told me "Speakerphone Trusted". I didn't think anything of it at the time, but when I stepped into my TL again, the phone was no longer paired and the HandsFreeLink was no longer showing under "known devices". Now, it won't let me pair both the headset and the HFL. Can anyone help? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help in advance,
Mike
Problem may be that the S56 will only allow one hands-free device to pair. The BT200 also supports the Hands-Free Profile.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:51 AM
Instructor

For those with the SE616 phone, does it allow a car (TL) as well as one of those cool no-wire headsets to pair? Do you have to switch it on the phone, or when you're out of range of the car, does it just "pick up" the headset if you have it?
Old 01-25-2004, 08:53 AM
8th Gear

Originally posted by Maxfli
Problem may be that the S56 will only allow one hands-free device to pair. The BT200 also supports the Hands-Free Profile.
Maxfli (or anyone else) - can you explain how the Hands-Free Profile differs from a regular bluetooth connection (sorry I'm new at this).

Mike
Old 01-25-2004, 09:33 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Woodstock
For those with the SE616 phone, does it allow a car (TL) as well as one of those cool no-wire headsets to pair? Do you have to switch it on the phone, or when you're out of range of the car, does it just "pick up" the headset if you have it?
Actually, my phone currently has four paired devices on record (computer, handheld, headset and car). It automatically sends the call to the car or the headset when they are on. I haven't tried having the headset turned on while in the car to see where a call would automatically get routed, however. One thing I have tried is transferring a call directly from HFL to the headset: it didn't work although the phone appears to support it.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:18 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by sfintel
Actually, my phone currently has four paired devices on record (computer, handheld, headset and car). It automatically sends the call to the car or the headset when they are on. I haven't tried having the headset turned on while in the car to see where a call would automatically get routed, however. One thing I have tried is transferring a call directly from HFL to the headset: it didn't work although the phone appears to support it.
Do you have the SE616 or another phone? (I'm trying to decide which phone to get)
Old 01-25-2004, 12:31 PM
Instructor

Also, re phones. Do SMS messages come in over the car multi-function display? Can you scroll through longish ones with the <> arrow keys?
Old 01-25-2004, 01:26 PM
Instructor

Do you have the SE616 or another phone? (I'm trying to decide which phone to get)
I have the SE T-616.
Old 01-25-2004, 01:27 PM
Instructor

Also, re phones. Do SMS messages come in over the car multi-function display? Can you scroll through longish ones with the <> arrow keys?
I've never tried it. Sorry.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bluetooth primer and phone information