TL/TLX Frequently Asked Questions No New Threads Please.

Bluetooth primer and phone information

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 09:57 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone confirm if the Motorola 270c Bluetooth phone works in the 04 TL? Supposedly it is compatible with Verizon.
Old 02-22-2004, 10:25 AM
Pro

Originally posted by BLACURATL
Can anyone confirm if the Motorola 270c Bluetooth phone works in the 04 TL? Supposedly it is compatible with Verizon.
NO! It does not. None of the optional Bluetooth attachments (Sony Erricsson DBA-10 is another one) will allow you to pair the phone with TL. It's been tried by number of people without success.

Verizon will have a Bluetooth phone - a Motorola - some time this year.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:20 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by BLACURATL
If you're you can't wait for the V710, there are still some SE T608 Sprint phones that people are selling on EBAY that have been converted to work with Verizon. I bought one last week and it works great. Only negative is that you don't have Web services, if that matters to you. You will need to act quick because I believe they are getting scarce since Sprint closed the loophole that allowed these conversions to take place.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:48 PM
TLover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 2TallTexan
I have had my S56 paired with my TL since about Mid-November, works great! However, I wanted to take even more advantage of the bluetooth technology so I purchased a Jabra BT200 headset. When I paired the headset, instead of telling me "Headset Trusted", it told me "Speakerphone Trusted". I didn't think anything of it at the time, but when I stepped into my TL again, the phone was no longer paired and the HandsFreeLink was no longer showing under "known devices". Now, it won't let me pair both the headset and the HFL. Can anyone help? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help in advance,
Mike
iam having the same problem. for some reason the s56 cant have 2 profiles saved and changed between one another. if you find a fix plz let me know
Old 02-22-2004, 07:58 PM
9th Gear

Has anyone been able to "transfer" an ongoing call between the S56 and HFL?

Earlier in this thread it was stated that it couldn't be done. Is this still the case?

Thanks,
Old 02-22-2004, 10:00 PM
Team NBP Member

Originally posted by TLTireKickr
Has anyone been able to "transfer" an ongoing call between the S56 and HFL?

Earlier in this thread it was stated that it couldn't be done. Is this still the case?

Thanks,
From S56 to HFL: hit the voice recog button and say "transfer"

From HFL to S56: hit the left soft key on the S56 or hit the voice recog button and say "transfer" or turn the car off (it will transfer automatically)

hope this helps
Old 02-23-2004, 11:58 AM
9th Gear

Thanks detroi_TL,

I was also considering the SE T616. (also reviewed favorably here) However, I go into some high security situations and they will not let me in the door with a camera phone.

I think I will give the S56 a try! Thanks for your input.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:37 AM
TLover

Originally posted by 2TallTexan
I have had my S56 paired with my TL since about Mid-November, works great! However, I wanted to take even more advantage of the bluetooth technology so I purchased a Jabra BT200 headset. When I paired the headset, instead of telling me "Headset Trusted", it told me "Speakerphone Trusted". I didn't think anything of it at the time, but when I stepped into my TL again, the phone was no longer paired and the HandsFreeLink was no longer showing under "known devices". Now, it won't let me pair both the headset and the HFL. Can anyone help? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help in advance,
Mike
i called siemens and told them about this problem. they told me that the s56 can store up to 10 profiles. so when i told them that the vphone deleted the first when i tried to make a second one they told me that it might be the headset and if i had a siemens headset they can try to fix the problem. i know someong that has a jabra bt200 and he has no problem with using the bt200 and the palm with 2 seprete profiles, but he has a sony T68i. so it must be the phone. ill call jabra today and see what they have to say about it. ill keep you posted.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:21 PM
4th Gear

SE T616 vs Nokia 3650...

Just got my TL last week and was using the 3650 without problems. Stopped by ATT store to get a battery and saw the 616. Picked one up to try it, since I'd like to see the caller ID of incoming calls. ATT gives you 30 days to try it out.

I was thrilled when signal strength and battery indicators came up (they do not work with the Nokia). Made my first call and what a dissapointment! The crackling and noise quality when compared to the 3650 are noticeably inferior.

I switched back the simm card into the 3650 and will be returning the T616 tomorrow. I can always look at the phone to see who's calling and the signal strength/battery level.

If you are looking for almost crystal clear sound, try the Nokia.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:22 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by adiosfat
SE T616 vs Nokia 3650...

Just got my TL last week and was using the 3650 without problems. Stopped by ATT store to get a battery and saw the 616. Picked one up to try it, since I'd like to see the caller ID of incoming calls. ATT gives you 30 days to try it out.

I was thrilled when signal strength and battery indicators came up (they do not work with the Nokia). Made my first call and what a dissapointment! The crackling and noise quality when compared to the 3650 are noticeably inferior.

I switched back the simm card into the 3650 and will be returning the T616 tomorrow. I can always look at the phone to see who's calling and the signal strength/battery level.

If you are looking for almost crystal clear sound, try the Nokia.
I broke down and got the T616 (30 day guarantee of course). Seems like I get the crackling when it is dialing but when the line is answered, it seems clear to me. Does anyone else experience this or did I just get lucky on my first 2 calls?

-29 days left to decide to keep or not.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:10 AM
BOOK EM

I have the trouble when some one is talking to me. Its like the voice is too strong for the speaker to handle. The radio works fine. Just have to get time to bring to the dealer
Old 02-26-2004, 02:24 PM
Racer

Has anyone successfully paired the Motorola v500?
Old 02-26-2004, 07:18 PM
Cruisin'

Unhappy Me too!

Originally posted by danno
I have the trouble when some one is talking to me. Its like the voice is too strong for the speaker to handle. The radio works fine. Just have to get time to bring to the dealer
I get the same problems and didn't know if it the voice quality of the HFL system or my Sony Ericson T616. I am also having a tough time trying to determine if I should just be patient until Verizon gets a bluetooth or remain with Cingular. I get dropped several times when I have the T616 in the center console. I've heard bad reviews of Cingular. I am currently with Sprint and get decent service. I just want to convert over to a bluetooth phone to use this feature in my TL.

-Kirby
Old 02-27-2004, 08:59 AM
Cruisin'

I just picked up an S56 and cannot figure out how to save pauses in phone numbers when calling my office voicemail. My old Nokia phone allow me to embed 'P' before sending the next string of numbers (e.g. 8005551212pp12345pp11111) for my mailbox and pin. any thoughts? also if the phone does support the pauses, will the HFL pick it up and send through the entire string of numbers and pauses?
Thanks.
David
Old 02-27-2004, 09:09 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by soljc
Has anyone successfully paired the Motorola v500?
Paired with the V525. It's supposed to be the essentially the same phone. Works OK.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:10 PM
Instructor

Re: Me too!

Originally posted by talk2kirb
I get the same problems and didn't know if it the voice quality of the HFL system or my Sony Ericson T616. I am also having a tough time trying to determine if I should just be patient until Verizon gets a bluetooth or remain with Cingular. I get dropped several times when I have the T616 in the center console. I've heard bad reviews of Cingular. I am currently with Sprint and get decent service. I just want to convert over to a bluetooth phone to use this feature in my TL.

-Kirby
Verizon to have V710 out sometime late spring.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:11 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by davidk
I just picked up an S56 and cannot figure out how to save pauses in phone numbers when calling my office voicemail. My old Nokia phone allow me to embed 'P' before sending the next string of numbers (e.g. 8005551212pp12345pp11111) for my mailbox and pin. any thoughts? also if the phone does support the pauses, will the HFL pick it up and send through the entire string of numbers and pauses?
Thanks.
David
The P for pause was a Nokia thing. The HFL does NOT send these pauses. It's NOT part of the Bluetooth Specification.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:19 AM
Intermediate

davidk:

The S56 pause feature is to hold down the # sign until a plus sign appears....it works....but NOT with HFL.....which sucks.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:20 AM
CEO of IMHO

Max,

Are you positive that this is a Bluetooth limitation vs. an HFL implementation limitation?

Jon

Originally posted by Maxfli
The P for pause was a Nokia thing. The HFL does NOT send these pauses. It's NOT part of the Bluetooth Specification.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:02 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by JonDeutsch
Max,

Are you positive that this is a Bluetooth limitation vs. an HFL implementation limitation?

Jon
Yes. The Hands-Free Profile Specification only supports the command to tell the phone to send digit tones. There is no "Pause" character that is specified (only 0-9, *, #). Any pause functions (which differ from phone to phone, sometimes a "P" sometimes a ",”) would be a function of the phone itself. It's similar to how a modem operates. When I send a dial command from my computer to a modem and want pauses in the dial string, first the modem must support these pauses. It's the modem that does the pause, not the computer. The phone, in this case acts as the modem. The problem is that the phone may well support a "pause" inserted in the dial string, but there is no way to send the "pause" character using Hands-Free. Even if there were, which one would be sent? Like I said, it may be different from phone to phone. In the OLD days, you had to know what your specific modems "pause" character was. Some used P some a , some used a space.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:08 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by pgriherd
davidk:

The S56 pause feature is to hold down the # sign until a plus sign appears....it works....but NOT with HFL.....which sucks.
Holding the # until a + appears is not a pause. This indicates an international call. Instead of dialing the International dial code (011 in the US) you press and hold the # until + appears. This signals to the network an international call. This is different from phone to phone. Some use the press and hold the 0 key, others the * key.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:22 AM
CEO of IMHO

Max,

Well, you're just the messanger, but this is asinine. If there are generally two pause characters (P and comma), then HFL should just be able to send both, and I should say "P" or "comma" for it to send that character to my phone.

Would it really be that hard to add a few characters to the HFL system to handle the vast majority of phone pause standards out there?

I say "asinine" because in my mind, calling voice mail systems from the car must be one of the most performed operations! And voicemail systems beg for the pause command due to their operating model.

It doesn't help that Acura doesn't give you a phone dial pad on the NAVI screen like the Toyota Prius BlueTooth system does. It even lets you select address book entries via the touchscreen. Nice.

Jon

Yes. The Hands-Free Profile Specification only supports the command to tell the phone to send digit tones. There is no "Pause" character that is specified (only 0-9, *, #). Any pause functions (which differ from phone to phone, sometimes a "P" sometimes a ",”) would be a function of the phone itself. It's similar to how a modem operates. When I send a dial command from my computer to a modem and want pauses in the dial string, first the modem must support these pauses. It's the modem that does the pause, not the computer. The phone, in this case acts as the modem. The problem is that the phone may well support a "pause" inserted in the dial string, but there is no way to send the "pause" character using Hands-Free. Even if there were, which one would be sent? Like I said, it may be different from phone to phone. In the OLD days, you had to know what your specific modems "pause" character was. Some used P some a , some used a space.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:18 PM
TLover

Why is it called Bluetooth?

Harald Bluetooth was king of Denmark in the late 900s. He managed to unite Denmark and part of Norway into a single kingdom then introduced Christianity into Denmark. He left a large monument, the Jelling rune stone, in memory of his parents. He was killed in 986 during a battle with his son, Svend Forkbeard. Choosing this name for the standard indicates how important companies from the Baltic region (nations including Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland) are to the communications industry, even if it says little about the way the technology works.

if anone is intrested in knowing how bluetooth works.
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/bluetooth.htm
Old 03-02-2004, 01:35 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by danno

I have the same problem. It almost sounds like the speaker is blown (but it sounds fine with music). I'd be interested in hearing what the dealer says or does to fix it. Please post a follow-up. thx.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:17 PM
Intermediate

I'm not sure this is a function (or shortcoming) of Bluetooth technology. I'm not an expert on Bluetooth but I do notice what is happening when I attemt to insert a pause and what happens in general when making a call using HFL.

When using the HFL, the HFL recognizes the command and sends it to the phone. So for example, when I say “call (a number)", the HFL is sending the numbers to the phone exactly as it recognizes them. The Bluetooth is just the means to get the numbers from the car to the phone itself. If I send a long string of numbers including a pause, *, #, etc., the HFL sends those as well via Bluetooth. The problem is how the HFL interprets a pause and the symbol it assigns to it. The HFL assigns the underscore symbol “_” to the pause command. So to access my v-mail for example, I would send the following (and do directly from my phone): 5555555555p*55555#. When I store this number in the HFL, it interprets it as follows: 5555555555_*55555#. My phone (SE t616) does not recognize the underscore and so ignores it and sends all of the other signals at the same time without a pause. So all numbers and symbols are sent prior to v-mail answering the call. So just like making any regular phone call, you can enter as many numbers as you want, but the phone switch is only going to recognize the first 10 (unless a one or international code is entered).

I’m convinced that if Acura would change the HFL to where it assigns a “p” instead of a “_”, I think it would work fine. I’m not aware of any phones that recognizes the “_” as a pause. And I wasn’t aware of any that use a comma but maybe there are.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:40 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by kleck
I'm not sure this is a function (or shortcoming) of Bluetooth technology. I'm not an expert on Bluetooth but I do notice what is happening when I attemt to insert a pause and what happens in general when making a call using HFL.

When using the HFL, the HFL recognizes the command and sends it to the phone. So for example, when I say “call (a number)", the HFL is sending the numbers to the phone exactly as it recognizes them. The Bluetooth is just the means to get the numbers from the car to the phone itself. If I send a long string of numbers including a pause, *, #, etc., the HFL sends those as well via Bluetooth. The problem is how the HFL interprets a pause and the symbol it assigns to it. The HFL assigns the underscore symbol “_” to the pause command. So to access my v-mail for example, I would send the following (and do directly from my phone): 5555555555p*55555#. When I store this number in the HFL, it interprets it as follows: 5555555555_*55555#. My phone (SE t616) does not recognize the underscore and so ignores it and sends all of the other signals at the same time without a pause. So all numbers and symbols are sent prior to v-mail answering the call. So just like making any regular phone call, you can enter as many numbers as you want, but the phone switch is only going to recognize the first 10 (unless a one or international code is entered).

I’m convinced that if Acura would change the HFL to where it assigns a “p” instead of a “_”, I think it would work fine. I’m not aware of any phones that recognizes the “_” as a pause. And I wasn’t aware of any that use a comma but maybe there are.

The issue is that when you say "call xxxxxxx" to the HFL the HFL does indeed send the digits to the phone and uses an ATD command. Sending a "P" in the dial string as you indicate above, is invalid. The ATD command ONLY supports the digits 0-9, * and #. So ATD5551212*5555# would be correct but ATD5551212P*5555# would be an invalid command. This is how it is defined in the Bluetooth Specification. I am guessing that this is why the phone displays "_" when you expected a "P".
So the HFL may be sending something it assumes the phone will understand, but there is no method defined in Bluetooth to insert a pause in a dial string.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:47 PM
3rd Gear

I have to agree with JD, it's idiotic that the TL phone book won't accept a preprogrammed "pause".

Let me second the comments about the sound quality in-car. The distortion is very high, but if you're talking to someone in an office or at home, I find that you can get by. If you talk to someone on a cell phone, however, it's inaudible, almost useless.

I think it has to have something to do with the microphone modulation of the person you're talking to, and the system wasn't designed to account for that.

Finally, on the SE T616, the user interface stinks. The address book and other functions are okay. The 2.5G system you are on as a result of using this more advanced phone is -- at least here in LA -- horrible, much worse than my digital phone. i have experienced the crackling problems, but it's a function of the local system (both my phones: ATT).

The bluetooth works pretty well within the car.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:13 PM
Instructor

I live in South Texas and use Cingular. Anyone have any problems with the T616 and reception in non-metropolitan areas. I have a Cingular nation plan that allows for nationwide long distance but am concerned that I may have many dead spots where Cingular doesn't have GSM coverage.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:54 PM
CEO of IMHO

FYI - It's a known problem that the T616/610 has distortion/scratchy problems with the HFL system. Apparently, no other phone has sound quality issues.

Max, where is the BT spec that outlines the characters it sends/receives so we can put this matter to rest?

Jon
Old 03-03-2004, 09:44 AM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Exclamation GOOD NEWS FOR SPRINT CUSTOMERS!!!

I just purchased my 2004 Nighthawk/Ebony 6SPD MANUAL w/ NAVI last month. This is my first post here. I am a long-time BMW owner of pretty much every current model they have, with the exception of a Z or an X.

I previously owned a modded 99TL that was nothing but problems. I have since decided to try another TL and so far so good!

Well, onto my point. My father just picked up a new 2004 LS430 w/ Modern Luxury Package. His car came standard with the bluetooth interface as well. After MUCH research, talking to my corporate SPRINT PCS account reps, and online searching, we found a *SPRINT* Bluetooth phone that DOES work and is actually offered by SPRINT now!!!

This is the Sony-Ericcson T608. I have not yet checked the compatability with my car as I have been way busy. I wanted to drop this information off to you guys as soon as I got it!! The Bluetooth in the LS430 w/ the T608 works great so far after a week of my dad's use.

One thing to note, SPRINT website does not show this phone as available. Also, you will have to call the Sprint 800# to order this phone. Not many people as Sprint even know about this phone or have heard of it. But trust me, it is available.

I will keep everyone updated and let u know if I was successful in linking this phone up to my TL. You can check out Sony-Ericcson's website for info on the T608. Only thing I dont like about is it is not a flip-phone. But, to utilize the bluetooth in the car would be worth the trade off as i miss the integrated phone like in my Bimmers.:wow: :wow:
Old 03-03-2004, 10:39 AM
Team Anthracite Rocky Mnt

Thumbs up A new and happy user

I picked-up my new TL w/NAVI last Wednesday and have had great luck so far. I programmed the phonebook with my common used # and have had no problems to date.
I am using a Siemens S56 with AT&T as my provider. The reception and quality has been excellent. The only “quirk” I have noticed is when I answer the phone I have to pause a second before I say hello. I assume this is a small delay in the HFL and the phone connecting. As for getting VM I have programmed an entry called password into the phonebook and use that to receive my mail instead of using one long string to dial and enter the password.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:11 PM
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Hey Vegas,
Yes the T608 will definitely pair up and work with the TL. I am using one now (unlocked for use with Verizon) and it works great. The MID displays all the pertinent information such as signal strength, battery power, Roam, caller ID etc...As for pauses I haven't tried programming numbers with them yet.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:30 PM
Cruisin'

Re: A new and happy user

Originally posted by Seabee
I picked-up my new TL w/NAVI last Wednesday and have had great luck so far. I programmed the phonebook with my common used # and have had no problems to date.
I am using a Siemens S56 with AT&T as my provider. The reception and quality has been excellent. The only “quirk” I have noticed is when I answer the phone I have to pause a second before I say hello. I assume this is a small delay in the HFL and the phone connecting. As for getting VM I have programmed an entry called password into the phonebook and use that to receive my mail instead of using one long string to dial and enter the password.
Same car (Anthrocite), phone and service. Not sure how to call the ATT voicemail from the s56 and send the password. Could you run me through the steps? Do you have your cell phone number stored in the HFL phonebook? If so, how do you enter the # to get into the retrieve message menu?
Thanks.
David
Old 03-04-2004, 08:30 AM
Pro

Originally posted by BelTelMel
Hey Vegas,
Yes the T608 will definitely pair up and work with the TL. I am using one now (unlocked for use with Verizon) and it works great. The MID displays all the pertinent information such as signal strength, battery power, Roam, caller ID etc...As for pauses I haven't tried programming numbers with them yet.
I have the T608.

Works great.. sometimes however a call "reverts" back to the handset right when it starts rigning.. you jsut tell the Acura to TRANSFER when this happens and the call is back...

It happens occasionally and may have something to do with the bluetooth....

You CAN program pauses... I have.. they work great.... its nice to hear her say PAWS PAWS PAWS...

Mike
Old 03-04-2004, 08:47 AM
CEO of IMHO

Mike,

You have to understand that you need to better explain how you got pauses to work. The conventional wisdom is that this is not possible using HFL.

Please explain in full detail.

Jon

Originally posted by MikeRadio
I have the T608.

You CAN program pauses... I have.. they work great.... its nice to hear her say PAWS PAWS PAWS...

Mike
Old 03-04-2004, 08:49 AM
TLover

Originally posted by MikeRadio
I have the T608.

Works great.. sometimes however a call "reverts" back to the handset right when it starts rigning.. you jsut tell the Acura to TRANSFER when this happens and the call is back...

It happens occasionally and may have something to do with the bluetooth....

Mike
maybe you can let us in on your little secret on how the pauses an entered into the HFL? b/c no one seams to know how except you. thanx in advance
Old 03-04-2004, 11:06 AM
Intermediate

Interesting footnote I discovered..... the HFL recognizes both the word "pause" and "comma" (used for a pause on some phones I guess). However if you say "comma" it repeats back "pause" and inserts the usual "_" which the phone doesn't understand..... "comma" and "pause" don't sound anything alike......

I called my dealer and explained the dilemma to the service manager. He is going to contact Acura to see if there is a way to reprogram the HFL to assign a "p" to the pause command and a "," to the comma command.

I’ll let y’all know what I find out…
Old 03-04-2004, 11:15 AM
Team Anthracite Rocky Mnt

Re: Re: A new and happy user

Originally posted by davidk
Same car (Anthrocite), phone and service. Not sure how to call the ATT voicemail from the s56 and send the password. Could you run me through the steps? Do you have your cell phone number stored in the HFL phonebook? If so, how do you enter the # to get into the retrieve message menu?
Thanks.
David
David,
Yes, I have my cell programmed as a number in the phonebook. During my message I press the talk button and say, “send password” as soon as the HFL starts to respond I press the talk button and say, “send” if you wait to long it will not work as the message will be over. The # will work on the HFL.

Bruce
p.s. I also have the Anthracite with Quartz Interior.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:46 PM
Intermediate

I just got the SE T610 from T-Mobile. Once I got the hang of the challenge/PTT response method, pairing the phone up was a breeze!

I'm in TL heaven with this phone and the 3 Doors Down DVD-A I also picked up last night. I also bought my first tank of gas - I should be broke by mid-April.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:19 PM
Intermediate

Seabee:

You don't have to say send again -- I say "Dial Voicemail"
As soon as it picks up -- i hit the button and say "Send Retrieve Messages" (pre-programmed, obviously); then, when it asks "do you want me to send Retrieve Messages" as soon as I hear that I just hold down the talk button. Done.

you can do that with any command, it's great.

Anyone had trouble with their phone jamming "IN USE" so that you can't use the stereo? My dealer called me last night -- cause she knew I had this happen -- to talk to another guy who did. We had to disconnect his battery............

Quick Reply: Bluetooth primer and phone information