3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to remove rear badging without damaging?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 01:15 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Best way to remove rear badging without damaging?

I want to debadge my car and leave just acura "A" in place and later add my aspec badge when i put my wheels on.

what is the best way to do this without damaging the paint or breaking the badge during removal?

should i just use floss?

thanks!
Old 06-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 114 Posts
I used Goo-Gone and floss to debadge my trunk.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
heat up the area by either leaving the car out in the sun for a bit or with a hair-drier to help soften the glue. Put the floss under the badge and work is slowly to help take off the badge.

Once it's off, use either mineral spirits or a citrus degreaser or goo-gone to clean off the rest of the glue.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:22 PM
My TL can do this, too!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Project X
what is the best way to do this without damaging the paint or breaking the badge during removal?

should i just use floss?

thanks!
Floss and Goo Gone work well. I used that. It's easier doing this on a hot day. If the floss gives you problems, try fishing line.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:28 PM
panditobinbin

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
floss is the safest way i know. it breaks pretty easily so you should get a few strands and twist them together so that its stronger and it gets the badges off with less work. heating it up helps A LOT. goo gone is good for any adhesive remnants. Good luck with the debadging
Old 06-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Enthusiast

You might want to take a few things into consideration before de-badging:

A. The year of the car
B. Where the car mainly sat
C. Color of the car

A lot of users experience sun fading where the emblems used to be and this will stand out more on certain cars. With cars that sat in the sun instead of under a car cover or in a garage, they will experience more fading.

I have a question on top of this OP question; Are there ways to remove fading? I have looked with no luck.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Agree w/ everyone on the goo gone, sunlight/hot air blow dryer, & dental floss. While your in the process of removing left over residue I suggest to use a microfiber towel because your going to be doing a lot of short buffering motions and you dont want to end up having swirls & lines in the paint.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Advanced

You can use a heat gun too. But a hairdryer is more likely to be the preferred choice since you probably own one. I've also heard you can burn the paint if using heat gun, but haven't perosonally experienced this myself.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:59 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have NEVER had a succesful removal with goo gone. I've tired 2-3 times when debadging. After heating with a hair dryer I simply pull the emblems off. Sometimes I get lucky and all of the glue comes off with the emblem. If not, I apply plenty of pressure with my thumb(s) and "push" the glue off.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Balling in the...

Received 64 Likes on 58 Posts
A little off topic I know and im sorry about it but since you all were talking about Goo Gone. Does this Stuff work on Glue residue on my Dash? The Previous owner looks to have put a EZ Pass (For Tolls) on the Dash with what it looks like Velcro staps. So when they removed it you can see the glue residue from the Velcro straps. Its annoying and I have no idea how to take it off. On the Goo Gone website it says that they do not recommend that you use this on leather, Silks or any High End Luxury materials. Do you think our dashes would get messed up if Goo Gone was to be used on it?
Old 06-09-2011, 02:35 PM
'06 WDP TL 6MT

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_shoxer
I've also heard you can burn the paint if using heat gun, but haven't perosonally experienced this myself.
You can also scratch your paint with a screwdriver, or dent your hood with a wrench.

Inotherwords, you would really have to f*** up to burn your paint with a heat gun.

I used a heat gun, dental floss, and goo gone. Worked great.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
^^mafyoso--I'm not sure if it will damage the dash but I'm sure it will leave an ugly stained mark, like grease or oil had been on the surface
Old 06-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Racer

for a 2004 TL, would a H Honda symbol fit where the A sits on the trunk? If so, where can I find the right size?
Old 06-09-2011, 07:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
Don't do what I did with my CLs.....some idiot failed to use his brake and rear-ended me.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by RealSteiner
You might want to take a few things into consideration before de-badging:

A. The year of the car
B. Where the car mainly sat
C. Color of the car

A lot of users experience sun fading where the emblems used to be and this will stand out more on certain cars. With cars that sat in the sun instead of under a car cover or in a garage, they will experience more fading.

I have a question on top of this OP question; Are there ways to remove fading? I have looked with no luck.
It's pretty easy actually! Just get some sort of light compound or polish and you can use that with a microfiber towel to help the paint surrounding the badging to blend better with the paint from under the badge.

Originally Posted by sodaks2k
I have NEVER had a succesful removal with goo gone. I've tired 2-3 times when debadging. After heating with a hair dryer I simply pull the emblems off. Sometimes I get lucky and all of the glue comes off with the emblem. If not, I apply plenty of pressure with my thumb(s) and "push" the glue off.
You have to apply goo-gone to a towel and dab at the glue and not spread it around. Slowly it'll come off. The same is with mineral spirits!

Originally Posted by Mafyoso
A little off topic I know and im sorry about it but since you all were talking about Goo Gone. Does this Stuff work on Glue residue on my Dash? The Previous owner looks to have put a EZ Pass (For Tolls) on the Dash with what it looks like Velcro staps. So when they removed it you can see the glue residue from the Velcro straps. Its annoying and I have no idea how to take it off. On the Goo Gone website it says that they do not recommend that you use this on leather, Silks or any High End Luxury materials. Do you think our dashes would get messed up if Goo Gone was to be used on it?
Don't use goo-gone on your dash, it'll ruin the color and finish of the material. The best thing to do is try using a mixture of water and woolite (10 parts water, 1 part woolite) and a leather brush to help break up the glue. Spray the woolite and agitate with the brush and wipe off!

Originally Posted by gogators22
for a 2004 TL, would a H Honda symbol fit where the A sits on the trunk? If so, where can I find the right size?
First off all that would look pretty bad. If I saw a TL with a Honda badge on the rear I'd

Second, its a LOT of work to replace that badge since there are holes in the trunk lid so you'd have to remove the acura badge, fill in the holes and then stick on another badge.

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
Don't do what I did with my CLs.....some idiot failed to use his brake and rear-ended me.

In the words of Dr. House, it's like getting chemo instead of a haircut.
The following users liked this post:
Mafyoso (06-10-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 08:35 PM
panditobinbin

Originally Posted by csmeance
first off all that would look pretty bad. If i saw a tl with a honda badge on the rear i'd

Second, its a lot of work to replace that badge since there are holes in the trunk lid so you'd have to remove the acura badge, fill in the holes and then stick on another badge.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Racer

You have to apply goo-gone to a towel and dab at the glue and not spread it around. Slowly it'll come off. The same is with mineral spirits!
Tried that it didn't work. How long does it take? I've waited 5+ minutes with multiple applications with no luck.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:34 PM
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Goo gone is magic, it's not going to come off instantly takes some muscle, and a lot of goo gone.

how i did it.
1. skipped the heat gun
2. fish string
3. lots of gooby gone/microfiber cloth
4. wash/spray detail/clay bar/polish/wax

I never did all of step 4 initially and ghosted "acura" for a bit.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Tried that it didn't work. How long does it take? I've waited 5+ minutes with multiple applications with no luck.
you are going to need to dab at it with fresh goo-gone for a while. I had a decal that I had to take off my window and I probably spend close to 20 minutes removing just the left over residue with goo-gone.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts
First off all that would look pretty bad. If I saw a TL with a Honda badge on the rear I'd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGtgT...layer_embedded
Old 06-09-2011, 10:41 PM
Senior Moderator

eric aka accuratien took off the honda badge to the last of my knowledge.

Does a hiccup count instead of ?
Old 06-10-2011, 08:24 AM
Racer

you are going to need to dab at it with fresh goo-gone for a while. I had a decal that I had to take off my window and I probably spend close to 20 minutes removing just the left over residue with goo-gone.
Yeah I don't have the patience for that. My way has worked well for me.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Remember Goo-Gone is going to remove the adhesive residue ..NOT the foam portion of the adhesive. Roll the foam off with your thumb/finger first then use the Goo-Gone for the rest.

As for the heat gun... it can burn/bubble the paint so if your going to use it don't heat the surface any hotter than you can stand to touch with your fingers.

I have debadged a lot of cars and never used the heat yet.. just fish line.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:01 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Remember Goo-Gone is going to remove the adhesive residue ..NOT the foam portion of the adhesive. Roll the foam off with your thumb/finger first then use the Goo-Gone for the rest.
I can get it all off with my thumb. No need for goo gone.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:47 AM
'06 WDP TL 6MT

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesstzn
As for the heat gun... it can burn/bubble the paint so if your going to use it don't heat the surface any hotter than you can stand to touch with your fingers.
Agreed, when I debadged mine I actually kept my left hand in the vicinity of the badge that I was heating up with the heat gun. I figured my skin would bubble off before the paint would (which obviously is preferable!). Again, any tool that you use could probably damage your car/paint if you don't use it properly.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:13 AM
Where Did My Garage Go?!!

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts
fishing line ftw...I would spray some goo gone around the badge first before you use the fishing line....helps to seperate the adhesive so its easier to take off
Old 06-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Balling in the...

Received 64 Likes on 58 Posts
Cool Ill Try that Woolite if I find some here in Florida. Ive never seen it here but remember it up North. Hopefully this works cause that damn Glue mark is pissing me off already
Old 06-10-2011, 08:07 PM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Received 673 Likes on 500 Posts
I used an interior panel tool to get under badge and just worked around. Took glue off with thumb. Used paper towel and lighter fluid to get residue off.

Been using that method for many many years usually with dealer stickers or I make them remove them or give me money every month for advertising. They say no and remove the stickers. Then they scratched paint once so I do it myself now.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:09 AM
UA6mt NBP

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
tried mine yesterday and i have a blister on my thumb and pointer finger from trying to rub off the glue after heating it up...didnt have much luck with the goo gone last nite trying to get the rest of the glue off but guess ill try during the day when its hot with the goo gone
Old 06-13-2011, 08:51 AM
Where Did My Garage Go?!!

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts
You can use some rubbing compound as well to remove the adhesive....I removed as much as I could with the goo gone and then took my PC to it with an orange pad and some hyper compound
Old 06-29-2011, 03:10 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i did this a couple of weekends ago.. i used floss but it kept breaking.. ultimately it came off but by that time i was out of floss! fishing line would work better IMO. There was a lot of residue remaining and i used goo gone for that but it didnt take it all off.. i still can see the glue and reminants of ACURA and TL.

My car is NBP (black) and i used a cloth to wipe the goo gone and remove the residue so now i have fine scratches from doing this where the emblems once were. I'm going to use my porter cable rotary buffer with pad to remove the rest of this crap off and the scratches too.. im out of pads so once i order ill report back.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:31 PM
UA7 NBP TL-S

Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts
most important.. take your time and dont rush for best results
1. hair dryer.. dont use heat gun, you dont wanna melt the clear/paint around the emblem
2. floss or fish line (might have to put couple strands together)
3. after removing the emblem wash the area with soap water and make sure its dry after, you dont want dirt particles to scratch up the clear coat when you use goo gone with towel
4. remove left over big chunks of double tape with your fingers
5. use goo gone and a microfiber towel to clean up the left over double tape
6. wash area with soap water and dry
7. clay bar the area
8. wax

*my TL is NBP so I used a buffer and fine scratch remover compound to remove the left over aged lines from the emblems... here is the result.

Last edited by vladkarnafel; 06-29-2011 at 05:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by vladkarnafel:
LaJay007 (01-30-2012), vic06b (06-29-2011)
Old 06-29-2011, 05:55 PM
Old MT TL

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
so helpful Vlad! thanx i will do mine soon.
btw what did u use to relocate the type S badge?
Old 06-29-2011, 05:58 PM
UA7 NBP TL-S

Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by vic06b
so helpful Vlad! thanx i will do mine soon.
btw what did u use to relocate the type S badge?
sticky double tape duhhh
you want the measurements also??
haha tell Anna not to worry about the badges... tell her its extra weight better gas mileage
Old 07-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by akertulis
tried mine yesterday and i have a blister on my thumb and pointer finger from trying to rub off the glue after heating it up...didnt have much luck with the goo gone last nite trying to get the rest of the glue off but guess ill try during the day when its hot with the goo gone
Yea what he said about the blister. Just did mine last night.The hair dryer made a huge difference. It worked more than the goo gone.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:07 PM
keep it clean

Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
I was reading this thread this morning and decided to check how secure those badges are on my TL. Left the car out in the sun for 10min and gently pulled the "L". The double sided adhesive was warm enough that all I needed to do was slowly pull it off the trunk. I did the same thing for the "T". As for the "Acura" badge, I took my time slowly pulling it off the trunk starting from opposite ends, and working my way to the "UR". The best advice is to make sure you don't rush it. All I have left is to wash the area, so I can properly use a clay bar and buff it like vladkarnafel recommended.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:25 PM
ReDevil

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
I just did mine a few days ago. Used fishing line, and it was warm, so they came off easy. Then used lighter fluid and a rag and my finger to get residue off. I have a NBP 04 so there was some discoloration. I had my Automotive Paint Specialist friend (lol, not really) hit it with a buffer, and you cant see where the emblems used to be. I can grab pics in a bit for proof
Old 07-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by AcuraIntegTL
I was reading this thread this morning and decided to check how secure those badges are on my TL. Left the car out in the sun for 10min and gently pulled the "L". The double sided adhesive was warm enough that all I needed to do was slowly pull it off the trunk. I did the same thing for the "T". As for the "Acura" badge, I took my time slowly pulling it off the trunk starting from opposite ends, and working my way to the "UR". The best advice is to make sure you don't rush it. All I have left is to wash the area, so I can properly use a clay bar and buff it like vladkarnafel recommended.
Exactly what I did. I just applied pressure and slowly you see the glue stretching. Just don't rush it and it should come off quite easily.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:20 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
1. Move to GA and leave car outside for a few hours. It's in the 90's
2. Start with floss/fishing line and work the corners of the emblems.
3. Use your thumb and roll up the foam till it's gone.
4. Use Bug and Tar remover to get the glue off.
5. Meguiar's Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax and buff till it looks good...
Old 07-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Racer

I don't understand why people use fishing line/floss. They come off easily by simply pulling them off. And by pulling them off (with the help of a hair dryer/heat) you can get some/most of the glue to come off too.

Quick Reply: Best way to remove rear badging without damaging?